Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

goatface posted:

All drywall should be replaced. I dunno what with. Maybe stone hand-hewn from a local quarry.

Sir let me tell you, I have been to the ultimate gypsum factory.

A desert, made entirely of white gypsum sand.

You would shut your dirty rear end mouth if you ever saw the majesty that is raw gypsum in its natural habitat, endless dunes of it hosting limited flora and fauna and being a rocket test range.

tactlessbastard posted:

On the bright side now you know where the stud Isn't

lol it's a 7/32 hole for a lug

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Dec 22, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
When's the best time to plan a trip to CES? Is it now? Probably now.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Super Waffle posted:

New org chart just dropped. This is the worst god damned thing I have ever seen.

Two separate engineering teams under two entirely different branches? 9 people under the president as his direct reports, with titles from VP to Chief Architect? Project Management (both of them) as dead ends?

This place is a joke, I need to get the hell out of here

Lol I used to update the org chart for a dept at a MegaCorp and you’d better believe VPs would immediately cause an uproar of their tiny rectangle was perceived to be a pixel lower than someone else’s.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Gypsum is fine in gypsum places. But it should stay in its own territories, let local construction-utilised-geology blossom. How else can we expect to find the next great mineral?

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

It's finally feldspar's time to shine!

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
between users :roboluv:
I was betting all this nostalgia craze would make Asbestos do a comeback

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

tactlessbastard posted:

On the bright side now you know where the stud Isn't

In order to know where the stud is, you have to know where it isn't.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.

Agents are GO! posted:

In order to know where the stud is, you have to know where it isn't.

Turn your monitor off.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Evil SpongeBob posted:

Turn your monitor off.

I assure you, nothing in my vicinity is capable of being turned on.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

I guess I really hosed up this pale ale.

According to the restaurant manager pale ales are supposed to be darker brown and hazier.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Escape From Noise posted:

According to the restaurant manager pale ales are supposed to be darker brown and hazier.

Yeah. That looks like rear end. You should pawn it off on me, the human beer disposal.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

madeintaipei posted:

Yeah. That looks like rear end. You should pawn it off on me, the human beer disposal.

UR beer is in the mail.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

UR beer is in the mail.

You don't mail beer, idiot.

Faxing is much faster.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

UR beer is in the mail.

PM sent.

Seriously, is that all they had to say about it? Did they drink it?!

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

madeintaipei posted:

PM sent.

Seriously, is that all they had to say about it? Did they drink it?!

I wish I could send you some.

He drank it and said it should be sweeter and more bitter. The more bitter thing kind of frustrated me at first because the IBUs are kind of at the upper end of BJCP guidelines for the style, but then I realized a lot of times people use "bitter" and "hoppy" interchangeably. I did go pretty conservative on the dry hop because it would still be within guidelines and I could always add more when I brew it again.

I guess the color comment pissed me off because I was really proud of the clarity and color I got. I think it could be improved, but he made it seem like I needed to tear it up and start over again. It's an American pale ale. I'm not trying to blow anyone's mind with it. My goal was to make an approachable benchmark of a beer that a customer might order 2 or 3 of with their pizza.

I would like a Baconator with fries and a medium ice tea and if you cut corners Dave, so help me GOD I will have your job!

Escape From Noise fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Dec 27, 2022

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

I wish I could send you some.

He drank it and said it should be sweeter and more bitter. The more bitter thing kind of frustrated me at first because the IBUs are kind of at the upper end of BJCP guidelines for the style, but then I realized a lot of times people use "bitter" and "hoppy" interchangeably. I did go pretty conservative on the dry hop because it would still be within guidelines and I could always add more when I brew it again.

I guess the color comment pissed me off because I was really proud of the clarity and color I got. I think it could be improved, but he made it seem like I needed to tear it up and start over again. It's an American pale ale. I'm not trying to blow anyone's mind with it. My goal was to make an approachable benchmark of a beer that a customer might order 2 or 3 of with their pizza.

I would like a Baconator with fries and a medium ice tea and if you cut corners Dave, so help me GOD I will have your job!

Philistines.

Would you like an upgrade to cheesy fries for only $2.50?

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

madeintaipei posted:

Philistines.

Would you like an upgrade to cheesy fries for only $2.50?

Maybe the landscape has changed but I thought clear beer would be an easier sell to normies.

But yeah. Let's loving do it. Cheese me.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.
My job is “reducing the size of the workforce”, so everyone who was hired for the second date I started work after getting Covid in the first class is being shitcanned in January. This is after they said multiple times that we would be switched to a different department and while the department is seasonal, we are not seasonal employees.

They did not answer my question about if the people that were in the class that I got Covid from are also getting politely fired. I expect not.

So there’s no way to prove they are responsible for my covid infection which meant I had to to go to a different department, but 8 out of 19 people got Covid in that class and had to also join the department that is now being let go, while they retain the people from the original department I was supposed to be in. I tried to sit away from everyone on the first day because I was like,” well, this is an infection risk. That’s all I need after being out of work for 2 months. I’m gonna sit back here where there are no other people.” Then they moved other people by me and did the whole take one and pass it on thing with documents.

Also, my health insurance has not been active this month because of the company they contract with and I do not have dental insurance next month because the company they contract with to have us choose benefits through has an incredibly lovely website and app. HR received 3 emails the day I discovered that. I have screenshots of the website since it still has my selections frozen there, even though it is now too late to do anything. This bullshit was not a problem when we just made selections on the office when I worked for the company in Austin, but now they contract with a third party site for…reasons(?) so that they can send a list of our choices to payroll or whatever.

Bored fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Dec 27, 2022

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Verdugo posted:

I can see his point, sitting and sorting emails into folders like they were file folders in a cabinet is a waste of time when you can just pull things up with search. Especially if emails are tagged showing what job/project they are for. However just changing everything with no transition is ridiculous.

As someone that has directly supported users with both 1) folder structures where everyone has root and can create/edit/move anything they like and 2) a locked down system with a managed hierarchy, for both emails and documents.

1 starts as being a good idea "because it's easy" until you end up with a total clusterfuck and can't find anything regardless of searches because you have 750gb of docs and 2 million emails and they crossover all the time so your search results are too broad and the search probably doesn't work properly anyway.

Then someone renames the top level folder, or moves it, or duplicates it, or creates their own personal structure because who cares about collaboration. Then you wish you did 2.

Then I have to do another implementation of 2 and write a huge migration and cleanup process.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

looks like a perfectly fine session beer and I would gladly drink 2-3 pints with a burger

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Maybe the landscape has changed but I thought clear beer would be an easier sell to normies.

Isn't Japan the one place where that clear beer from the 90s is still sold and quite popular?

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Machai posted:

Isn't Japan the one place where that clear beer from the 90s is still sold and quite popular?

I don't know. Garbage like Lervig, Brewski, and Omnipollo got really popular here in craft beer circles here.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Bored posted:

My job is “reducing the size of the workforce”, so everyone who was hired for the second date I started work after getting Covid in the first class is being shitcanned in January. This is after they said multiple times that we would be switched to a different department and while the department is seasonal, we are not seasonal employees.

They did not answer my question about if the people that were in the class that I got Covid from are also getting politely fired. I expect not.

So there’s no way to prove they are responsible for my covid infection which meant I had to to go to a different department, but 8 out of 19 people got Covid in that class and had to also join the department that is now being let go, while they retain the people from the original department I was supposed to be in. I tried to sit away from everyone on the first day because I was like,” well, this is an infection risk. That’s all I need after being out of work for 2 months. I’m gonna sit back here where there are no other people.” Then they moved other people by me and did the whole take one and pass it on thing with documents.

Also, my health insurance has not been active this month because of the company they contract with and I do not have dental insurance next month because the company they contract with to have us choose benefits through has an incredibly lovely website and app. HR received 3 emails the day I discovered that. I have screenshots of the website since it still has my selections frozen there, even though it is now too late to do anything. This bullshit was not a problem when we just made selections on the office when I worked for the company in Austin, but now they contract with a third party site for…reasons(?) so that they can send a list of our choices to payroll or whatever.

Sounds like HR tied their hair up but didn't.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost

Salami Surgeon posted:

When's the best time to plan a trip to CES? Is it now? Probably now.

Oh it's not open to the public. They need to verify I work for a business affiliated with consumer electronics. One of the verification options is to upload a picture of a business card. Guess what this company never gave me.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Outrail posted:

Oh good it wasn't just me.

(also lol good reference)

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Outrail posted:

Yeah. Sorry. They contract with another company that sets up the interface to choose benefits. You cannot access the interface from work. And apparently the company sucked up on their program for iOS browser apps and the specific app you can download to pick benefits.

I have no clue of this is clearer.

The company hosed met on benefits. The company couldn’t manage to contain Covid while I was wearing a mask, constantly washing my hands, and using hand sanitizer obsessively. And now the company is loving met with regards to the promised permanent employment while the department I was originally being assigned to before I got Covid,due to the company being loving stupid, is NOT getting downsized.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
This is not clearer, did you get in your special swimming suit or not?

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

This is not clearer, did you get in your special swimming suit or not?

My employer sucks.

I had to wear a sports brain and tight pants in the room with water

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

They don't give a poo poo and don't know any better. Work less hard.

I'm putting in like 80% at the new job so I can impress when poo poo goes REAL sideways in January next year, and I'm getting tons of ad hoc 'great job's

Feels good but also lol that a 6 week employee is making waves by being competent.

This reminds me of the time I was made responsible for proofreading all outgoing emails for the team because I was the only person who knew how to use punctuation, capitalization and a spell checker. I should have run screaming from that job then and there instead of dealing with two years of insanity.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Year 3(?) of no Christmas/yearly bonus in a row, but the company owner was certain to make sure we knew we have enough spare money that more companies would be getting bought out (while existing ones are barely stable and bleeding people).

Still trying to get out, unsuccessfully.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

I got a $125 gift card, which is alright I guess. That's over a $10 every month bonus! Or a $0.05 per hour raise, I guess.

Soon to be two years since I got a raise, despite like 10% inflation since the last time. Oh boy!

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

When the restaurant manager is calculating the costs for beers he'll often ask me for the price of materials. As in, he wants to know the exact price the pilsner malt I used was per kg when I ordered it. He always reacts with utter confusion when I respond with "I don't know. Check the email.". It's not upsetting but I'm completely baffled as to why he thinks I'd have this memorized. Isn't that the reason for ordering by email? So there's a chain of this info?

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

lol I gotta go back on Monday night and run equipment for 8 weeks then finish out the rest for 3 more, while also making it look ready for an auction house to come in and take pictures of everything in like 3 weeks. Also gotta do walkthroughs to find stuff they gotta fix before they turn the building back to the property owner in June.

I've never permanently shut down a factory before, poo poo's gonna be weird and it's gonna go fast.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

MrQwerty posted:

I've never permanently shut down a factory before, poo poo's gonna be weird and it's gonna go fast.

Keep posting, your pain may be some other goon's gain.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

mllaneza posted:

Keep posting, your pain may be some other goon's gain.

eh, it's gonna be my gain, too, most likely. I got this journeyman operator thing going on that I can transfer into a bunch of jobs going forward that this is only going to benefit.

Like a Ryan Fitzpatrick of general manufacturing and cleanroom process/mechanics/soldering/safety team poo poo except I can actually move on from that position at this point.

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Dec 31, 2022

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

When the restaurant manager is calculating the costs for beers he'll often ask me for the price of materials. As in, he wants to know the exact price the pilsner malt I used was per kg when I ordered it. He always reacts with utter confusion when I respond with "I don't know. Check the email.". It's not upsetting but I'm completely baffled as to why he thinks I'd have this memorized. Isn't that the reason for ordering by email? So there's a chain of this info?

He wants you to keep a spreadsheet of component amounts/costs per brew

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Outrail posted:

He wants you to keep a spreadsheet of component amounts/costs per brew

I get that. I just don't get why he thinks I have those numbers memorized.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

He's not good at communicating directly. Potentially cultural. But consider that to be a very reasonable request/expectation that has been set. If you continue to ignore stuff like this/handle it in odd ways your job will continue to be the drama vortex you post about on here.

(seriously a lot of this seems like it's you/the way you handle things/your communication or lack thereof)

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Motronic posted:

He's not good at communicating directly. Potentially cultural. But consider that to be a very reasonable request/expectation that has been set. If you continue to ignore stuff like this/handle it in odd ways your job will continue to be the drama vortex you post about on here.

(seriously a lot of this seems like it's you/the way you handle things/your communication or lack thereof)

Fair enough. I'm fine with talking volumes and all that, I just really don't know the sales price of a kilo of pilsner malt on a given date. I dunno.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Alright. Next meeting, y'all sit down over a shift meal and lead with, "Mmm. This is excellent! How much did it cost/gram?" Raise one, and only one, eyebrow while staring into RM's eyes. Slowly slide a calculator watch across the table. Proceed as if nothing happened.