Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Doktor Avalanche posted:

it's funny how the rock has been grinding for 20 years in the movie business, self-promoting like crazy, honing his "hot ripped dude next door"image etc. and then dave bautista who looks like someone serving a triple life sentence fior steroid induced multiple homicide leapfrogs over him like it's nothing

Well it helps that Bautista actually can act, has charisma, takes good roles, and as a bonus, has good politics.

Zvahl posted:

the rock's only good appearance in cinema is Southland Tales

:hai:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

There should be Color-Coded War Plans for hypothetical, terrible movies and their resulting garbage social media analysis.

For example, are we prepared if a film starring Lena Dunham had an opening scene of "her morning routine," which was scored to Glen Campbell's Wichita Lineman? Are we at all ready for the terrible fallout that would cause? We need to draft emergency planning operations for these events, should, God forbid, they occur.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Nichael posted:

Well it helps that Bautista actually can act, has charisma, takes good roles, and as a bonus, has good politics.

He is also humble.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

The Rock's acting career has always felt like a forced meme.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

apatheticman posted:

2020 rock would never agree to pain & gain.

He's too far up his own rear end.

2022 Dave Bautista would've done a better job playing the Rock's character in Pain & Gain

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
I don't particularly like The Rock's acting, but his movies have always made money. I think even that terrible San Andreas movie made WAY more than expectations. Black Adam is like the first thing he has been in since Doom that has completely tanked.

I think Bautista and Cena are both better wrestling actors. Both of them seem to take themselves less seriously and take more interesting parts.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
One movie does bad and this thread is proclaiming no one has ever liked the Rock and he has no career when he has Fast and Furious, Moana, and god drat Jumanji under his belt. I’m personally ambivalent towards him but to act like he’s not massively popular is dumb.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

The Rock, the actor: 😒
The Rock, the Michael Bay movie: 😏

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

it was a bad call to have an actor known for his charismatic microphone work be almost silent and looking bored for the first 1/3 of the movie

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

praxis of evil posted:

theyve all been friends with Andi for years but no one knows about her twin sister?

well they do, they just dont think andi is dead

Anyway the movie is fairly fun but rian is no agatha christie and probably should have had, idk, gillian flyn or whoever do a few passes over his script

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

galagazombie posted:

One movie does bad and this thread is proclaiming no one has ever liked the Rock and he has no career when he has Fast and Furious, Moana, and god drat Jumanji under his belt. I’m personally ambivalent towards him but to act like he’s not massively popular is dumb.

I was mad at The Rock and saying he's a fraud when all Under Armour's lovely labour practices like evidence of sweatshop forced labour became very public and he refused to say anything about it despite having the audacity to have a finishing move called the "People's Elbow". :colbert:

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Zvahl posted:

the rock's only good appearance in cinema is Southland Tales

beyond the handful of other decent films already pointed out, he was quite good in The Rundown a few years prior to that

but that film kind of exemplifies the issues with his career in cinema, because he’s unfortunately rarely been able to find roles that let him match the heights of a mid-budget comedy co-starring Seann William Scott

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

LGD posted:

beyond the handful of other decent films already pointed out, he was quite good in The Rundown a few years prior to that

but that film kind of exemplifies the issues with his career in cinema, because he’s unfortunately rarely been able to find roles that let him match the heights of a mid-budget comedy co-starring Seann William Scott

drat was gonna mention this. christopher walken is the bad guy, it's a fun movie. i don't think i've seen it since '07 or w/e though

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Nichael posted:

There should be Color-Coded War Plans for hypothetical, terrible movies and their resulting garbage social media analysis.

For example, are we prepared if a film starring Lena Dunham had an opening scene of "her morning routine," which was scored to Glen Campbell's Wichita Lineman? Are we at all ready for the terrible fallout that would cause? We need to draft emergency planning operations for these events, should, God forbid, they occur.

The next blade movie and he's gotta fight thinly veiled BLM

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

praxis of evil posted:

theyve all been friends with Andi for years but no one knows about her twin sister?

a. they're shitheads. i wouldnt be surprised if it never came up at all and/or they were so self-absorbed that they forgot about it

b. no one except myles knew she was dead, until drake got the notification, at which point his self-interest took over (see a) and went directly to myles, and it wouldn't occur to anyone else that andi's twin sister was there in her place otherwise

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
my biggest problem with glass onion is the peg subplot never really went anywhere after her confrontation with birdie

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Alice in Borderland was pretty good imo, makes me want to finish reading Gantz now though

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

Communist Thoughts posted:

The next blade movie and he's gotta fight thinly veiled BLM

bat like monster?

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

galagazombie posted:

people like him and they like to watch him when he's in a good movie but he doesn't draw people into a movie on his presence alone and never has. he always wants to do these big star vehicle movies but they don't actually play into his strengths as an actor

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
People liked jumanji for Jack Black damnit.

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

apatheticman posted:

People liked jumanji for Robin Williams damnit.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

a new study bible! posted:

which really pisses me off because there’s that long monologue about the stupidity of the glass onion as a symbol. The onion, a mysterious bulb that has to be peeled back layer by layer, only transparent, which removes all mystery and motive to reveal it. And yeah, it is a stupid symbol in the movie for sure.

But while Benoit was talking poo poo about it, I could only think how all of those same criticisms almost equally apply to the movie itself. It wants to present as a mystery, but as that it loving sucks. In fact a central conceit of the movie is that it’s loving stupid.

And I can’t believe that the writer was smart enough to recognize that he was writing about the movie itself when he composed that monologue.

The movie is literally titled Glass Onion. "This movie is seemingly complicated while actually being very simple" is literally the entire point.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
If Netflix wants to give Rian Johnson money to poo poo on rich people and make a good enough streaming movie in the interim so be it.

Bars are lower if you are streaming vs seeing it in theatre and I didn't have a problem with it.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

apatheticman posted:

People liked jumanji for Jack Black damnit.

the remake was way better than i was expecting and i thought he killed it

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

apatheticman posted:

If Netflix wants to give Rian Johnson money to poo poo on rich people and make a good enough streaming movie in the interim so be it.

Bars are lower if you are streaming vs seeing it in theatre and I didn't have a problem with it.

of this mini-genre i think i liked Don't Look Up a bit more

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Nichael posted:

For example, are we prepared if a film starring Lena Dunham had an opening scene of "her morning routine,"

So, an American Psycho remake?

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

i say swears online posted:

drat was gonna mention this. christopher walken is the bad guy, it's a fun movie. i don't think i've seen it since '07 or w/e though

yeah, I really need to rewatch it

Corridor did a fun discussion with the second unit director (Andy Chang from the Jackie Chan stunt team) a few months back, it's old enough that the stunt work pretty much all practical

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Both Knives out and Glass onion are mid movies. The class commentary is nothing new, "rich people are bad" has been broadcast in movies probably since the Lumiere bros, the comedy isn't funny, and the story of the latter is ridiculous. Usually hey'd be fine if you want to kill a couple of hours, but Daniel Craig, his accent and the stacked cast push them up a level.

Substandard posted:

I don't particularly like The Rock's acting, but his movies have always made money. I think even that terrible San Andreas movie made WAY more than expectations. Black Adam is like the first thing he has been in since Doom that has completely tanked.

I think Bautista and Cena are both better wrestling actors. Both of them seem to take themselves less seriously and take more interesting parts.

I forgot Cena, I know he's been doing movies for the last 6 or 7 years but he really found his sea legs when Xi and the CPC got him the Peacemaker role in SS.
Like Bautista, he's also more charismatic than The Rock IMO, and comfortable with being the butt of jokes in the roles he takes.

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

galagazombie posted:

Bakshi did Fire and Ice right? that sucked.

cool cover art tho

also lol at the review quote. oof.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

skooma512 posted:

So, an American Psycho remake?

Watch out sis!

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Durf posted:

cool cover art tho

lmfao harry knowles

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

fire and ice was how bakshi and frazetta got paid to take cocaine and do live drawing sessions with strippers, it is an abysmal product

it is also extremely racist in a way that bakshi's other films aren't. the storyline is about dark-skinned "subhumans" at war with the heroes, who are pale nordic people. the "subhumans" (seriously that is what they're called) are sometimes drawn as orc-like but more often they're not even exaggerated, they're just big ugly brown people. there are multiple scenes of busty white women being sexually menaced by "subhumans". it's horrendous, i can't even joke about it. bakshi's other works (and frazetta's) are an interesting litmus test by which to consider the different forms of american racism, because the kind that shows up in fire and ice is one of the most ugly and vicious and it is in stark contrast to say, harlem nights.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

galagazombie posted:

yeah its a perfect example of dumbass cspam thinking at work

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

a strange fowl posted:

fire and ice was how bakshi and frazetta got paid to take cocaine and do live drawing sessions with strippers, it is an abysmal product

it is also extremely racist in a way that bakshi's other films aren't. the storyline is about dark-skinned "subhumans" at war with the heroes, who are pale nordic people. the "subhumans" (seriously that is what they're called) are sometimes drawn as orc-like but more often they're not even exaggerated, they're just big ugly brown people. there are multiple scenes of busty white women being sexually menaced by "subhumans". it's horrendous, i can't even joke about it. bakshi's other works (and frazetta's) are an interesting litmus test by which to consider the different forms of american racism, because the kind that shows up in fire and ice is one of the most ugly and vicious and it is in stark contrast to say, harlem nights.

Which is to say as a discount Conan movie it's very faithful to the source material

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Durf posted:

cool cover art tho

Is that a frazetta?

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
I liked the Rock in Inspector Gadget. I don't know how often he plays a bad guy, but the role suited him.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

1stGear posted:

The movie is literally titled Glass Onion. "This movie is seemingly complicated while actually being very simple" is literally the entire point.

the glass onion mirrors the plot, yes. I’m talking about the quality of the film itself. I doubt the writer would poo poo on his own movie in the way I’m saying the monologue parallels.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

galagazombie posted:

if you're referring to my post, i'll freely admit the rock is more popular than bautista and cena put together times 10
when i said bautista leapfrogged him i was talking about my subjective view of the quality of the movies they make

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

1stGear posted:

Rian Johnson's tendency toward meta bullshit like this is actually possibly the most annoying thing about him, and this was not my favorite aspect of a perfectly fine movie

I'd say it was also the worst thing about TLJ (the heavy-handed metaphor about burning the sacred texts to come up with something new instead) but that's a pretty competitive field

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

My wife just became actually IRL mad at James Cameron upon looking into Avatar 2 and finding that it is 17 minutes longer than The Godfather

Who the gently caress does he think he is, what does he have to say that is worth taking 17 minutes longer than it took to tell the Godfather story, and so on and so forth