Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once
its a bit poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

It's not.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
It's definitely a compromised model I ain't denying that.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
The model is indeed hideous but I agree that you should be responding to Lego or Sega or whatever, and not just some dude who worked on the lego sets.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its also rather rude to slag it off to the person who made it tbh. was she aware of that?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

https://twitter.com/toastergrl/status/1479439282486091778?t=wWjaMlqO1dmNvF1V6mZtOw&s=19 the designer shared her preferred assembly but it didn't meet stability requirements.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

fun hater posted:

its also rather rude to slag it off to the person who made it tbh. was she aware of that?

Yes because they QRT'd specifically the tweet where Viv said "I made this"!

Also why are you using anglicisms today? Did you lose a bet with a Superwholock?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

fun hater posted:

Sterling wouldn't be the first critic to think that telling the creator of something that what they made sucks qualifies as constructive criticism, but that doesn't really justify or excuse it.
I think it's just something that every critic does sooner or later in their career, because they get so convinced of their own ability to judge something that they stop thinking of the people who put effort into their creations.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

It's also a bizarre blind spot for production realities from a critic who built their brand on labor reporting.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Sterling wouldn't be the first critic to think that telling the creator of something that what they made sucks qualifies as constructive criticism, but that doesn't really justify or excuse it.
ah the Your Webcomic is Bad school of criticism

Shartin Mad
Nov 23, 2022

by Hand Knit
lol I actually googled to find the Tweet because I was curious and it's literally just this

https://twitter.com/JimSterling/status/1475867949563011075

fun hater
May 24, 2009

DoctorWhat posted:

Yes because they QRT'd specifically the tweet where Viv said "I made this"!

Also why are you using anglicisms today? Did you lose a bet with a Superwholock?

wtf. well. sorry abt your friend. i liked the little sonic a lot lol

im high and i guess i start talking like a peepshow extra

e: hmm ok. but also lol tho

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

To be clear I'm not defending the artistic perfection of Burger Head Robotnik and I'm not cancelling James Stephanie Sterling forever for some unforgivable social crime. I'm just tired of how they conduct themselves online, especially when they have an opportunity to get in a sick dunk or start a fire with groups of people they have established disdain for. It's either an obnoxious insincere performance for the sake of #content and #engagement, or it's sincere contempt over basically nothing.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Shartin Mad posted:

lol I actually googled to find the Tweet because I was curious and it's literally just this

https://twitter.com/JimSterling/status/1475867949563011075

lol

Shartin Mad
Nov 23, 2022

by Hand Knit
On a slightly more on topic shift, since a few days ago the whole 'you've gotta support/not support a movie for moral reasons' thing was brought up, we've finally reached a stage of that discourse where now you simply must see all movies or you're why film is dying

https://twitter.com/metaplexmovies/status/1607552126724472834

For reference in case you don't know Babylon, it's a major studio project with A-list stars complete with the typical near instant first look deal with the director before it even released and all, which is all 100% normal movie stuff like any Marvel or other big budget action movie type thing would get. It's also pretty generic self indulgent 'film industry history drama' that you can get lots of places so it's pretty funny to hold this one up as one with SOMETHING TO SAY, MAN.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Shartin Mad posted:

On a slightly more on topic shift, since a few days ago the whole 'you've gotta support/not support a movie for moral reasons' thing was brought up, we've finally reached a stage of that discourse where now you simply must see all movies or you're why film is dying

For reference in case you don't know Babylon, it's a major studio project with A-list stars complete with the typical near instant first look deal with the director before it even released and all, which is all 100% normal movie stuff like any Marvel or other big budget action movie type thing would get. It's also pretty generic self indulgent 'film industry history drama' that you can get lots of places so it's pretty funny to hold this one up as one with SOMETHING TO SAY, MAN.

There’s a difference between “you have to go see this or else” and “don’t mock the people still trying to make something interesting when it fails”

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Shartin Mad posted:

Every ad I've seen for Babylon makes it look insufferable, just like The Fablemans and Empire of Light, a trifecta of "movies about movies with nothing to say". Though I guess The Fablemans is at least Spielberg doing an autobio pic AND a "No, gently caress YOU Dad!" movie at the same time, so it might have a teensy amount of worth to it that the other two don't.

Shartin Mad
Nov 23, 2022

by Hand Knit

DC Murderverse posted:

There’s a difference between “you have to go see this or else” and “don’t mock the people still trying to make something interesting when it fails”

the point is more that nobody's really 'celebrating' it flopping but rather he's conflating anyone going 'yea this movie probably deserved to flop, seems bad' with people cheering it on.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.
Didn't see the OP of that thread talk about how maybe releasing a 3 hour long original film against Avatar 2 was an incredibly dumb move. It's like when Horizon Forbidden West came out against Elden Ring, you knew what the result was going to be

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Babylon had an absolutely terrible ad campaign that told you nothing about the movie. Just that it was an old timey movie spectacle starring Pitt and Robbie.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

muscles like this! posted:

Babylon had an absolutely terrible ad campaign that told you nothing about the movie. Just that it was an old timey movie spectacle starring Pitt and Robbie.

Same with Empire of Light. Especially the part where the voice over is like "Olivia Coleman delivers a powerhouse performance at the top of her game" and then shows a clip of her incoherently drunken scream-crying where you can't understand a single word she's saying. And it's like, wait, that's the BEST clip you had?

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Hollywood isn't going to stop making movies about Hollywood. There is no genre more secure in its future, besides possible super heroes.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Every movie that guy makes sucks and is stupid

why would I want to watch that and hollywood do a self suck for the nth time

Terrence Malik couldn't even make the subject compelling in Knight of Cups

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Babylon is a movie about DW Griffith being a misunderstood genius and not a mega racist who was in love with a 13 year old girl lol

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Alaois posted:

Babylon is a movie about DW Griffith being a misunderstood genius and not a mega racist who was in love with a 13 year old girl lol

Wait it's a movie about the Birth of a Nation guy?! :psyduck:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

No

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

fez_machine posted:

Every movie that guy makes sucks and is stupid

why would I want to watch that and hollywood do a self suck for the nth time

Terrence Malik couldn't even make the subject compelling in Knight of Cups

I liked Cloverfield 10 Lane
Though he didnt direct that one, so maybe thats the crucial difference there.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

mycot posted:

Wait it's a movie about the Birth of a Nation guy?! :psyduck:

Thats what i assume its about, the trailers give me no actual info about the movie so i'm forced to fill in the pieces myself

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Alaois posted:

Thats what i assume its about, the trailers give me no actual info about the movie so i'm forced to fill in the pieces myself

The wiki's first paragraph

quote:

In Los Angeles in the Roaring Twenties, Manuel "Manny" Torres, a Mexican immigrant and aspiring filmmaker, works odd jobs peripheral to the burgeoning silent film industry. Manny helps transport a loose-boweled elephant to a debauched party at Kinoscope Studios executive Don Wallach's mansion, where he crosses paths with Nellie LaRoy, a brash, ambitious aspiring starlet from New Jersey, and is quickly smitten with her. As they share their dreams, Manny reveals his wish to be part of something bigger, while Nellie declares herself a star. The bacchanalia features copious nudity, sex, cocaine, and a little person on a phallic-shaped pogo stick. While the elephant walks through the ballroom, distracting partygoers, Manny helps carry away Jane Thornton, a young actress who overdosed on drugs during a perverse sexual encounter with obese actor Orville Pickwick.

Oh boy

Seems like critics basically all said "what the gently caress" to it, liking how well it was shot, but pretty sure it wasn't written with any point in mind or with any idea where it was going.

Grondoth fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Dec 27, 2022

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Oh its one of those movies

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

That sounds like it has a lot of wacky hijinks!

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

even as someone who's listened to a bunch of episodes of You Must Remember This about the debauchery of early Hollywood, I have absolutely no idea who the gently caress the audience for a fictionalized movie about the debauchery of early Hollywood is in 2022

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

It is always amazing to watch really famous actors put on old-tymme clothes and fart around for, Jesus, three hours about how great and important it is to make movies.

Shartin Mad
Nov 23, 2022

by Hand Knit

Alaois posted:

even as someone who's listened to a bunch of episodes of You Must Remember This about the debauchery of early Hollywood, I have absolutely no idea who the gently caress the audience for a fictionalized movie about the debauchery of early Hollywood is in 2022

yea it sounds like it's for people who find the base idea funny but also have done zero research to know that the real version of any of that nonsense is that little person on a pogo stick probably was paid in pennies he had thrown at him or that the funny fat man loving the OD'd lady was probably their rib on Fatty Arbuckle, an actual rapist and murderer????

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
Ah, the screenwriter based a lot of his work around Hollywood Babylon. It's all coming together around podcasts...

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Grondoth posted:

Ah, the screenwriter based a lot of his work around Hollywood Babylon. It's all coming together around podcasts...

thats why i assumed the movie was about DW Griffith lmao

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
I first heard of Babylon from reading the AV Club's best of the year list. Avatar 2 was also on that list, so now I'm wondering if I'll bother checking in with them next year.

nine-gear crow posted:

Same with Empire of Light. Especially the part where the voice over is like "Olivia Coleman delivers a powerhouse performance at the top of her game" and then shows a clip of her incoherently drunken scream-crying where you can't understand a single word she's saying. And it's like, wait, that's the BEST clip you had?

more emotion = better performance

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Grondoth posted:

The wiki's first paragraph

Oh boy

Seems like critics basically all said "what the gently caress" to it, liking how well it was shot, but pretty sure it wasn't written with any point in mind or with any idea where it was going.

Isn't Margot Robbie getting a little old to be playing a starlet?

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
I don't normally think that the government should involve itself in what creatives do, but films about films should be a capital crime

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Vagabong posted:

I don't normally think that the government should involve itself in what creatives do, but films about films should be a capital crime

Be Kind Rewind was pretty good, though.