Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

Vichan posted:

Ever tried Pictopix? It has Steam Deck compatibility, complete with touch screen!

I actually haven't - thanks, I'll check it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

HopperUK posted:

Siralim Ultimate has 'playable' because the main screen displays 'Press E to start' instead of 'Press A to start'. You can press A.

It sounds a little silly but this exact kind of stuff would get a game to fail cert on mainstream consoles.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.

Barreft posted:

Speaking of text.

Persona 5 Royal's text looks jagged as poo poo no matter what option I try in game or out. I gotta be missing something, or is it just how it is on the Deck?

I can’t remember exactly how to do it but where the play or launch button is there is a gear or settings button. Go in there and look for a resolution override and set it to I think it’s 1920x1080. Save and then launch the game. You don’t want to do the resolution in game. It should downscale and look right if you do that.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Is Binding of Issac worthwhile on the deck? Never got around to playing it and it seems like it would work well on this thing.
Also is the DLC worth it? It’a $8 for the base game right now which seems fair, but it’s $28 for the full meal deal

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Mescal posted:

where are you seeing steamdb rating a game gold or something? all i see i copies of valve's own system for rating whether certain things work on deck

this is on the website, i coujldn't get the steamdb to install right on the deck

There’s a decky plugin that puts protondb badges right on the steam page for every game when you’re in game mode.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I should install decky loader eventually

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Disappointing Pie posted:

I can’t remember exactly how to do it but where the play or launch button is there is a gear or settings button. Go in there and look for a resolution override and set it to I think it’s 1920x1080. Save and then launch the game. You don’t want to do the resolution in game. It should downscale and look right if you do that.

This worked, thanks!

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Opopanax posted:

Is Binding of Issac worthwhile on the deck? Never got around to playing it and it seems like it would work well on this thing.
Also is the DLC worth it? It’a $8 for the base game right now which seems fair, but it’s $28 for the full meal deal

It's great on Deck, yeah. I would just buy the base game until you're sure you really love it. The DLCs variously add a *lot* and the base game has plenty to be getting on with.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Disappointing Pie posted:

Persona 5 Royal is the one game so far I play docked. Want to play it on the big screen but my gaming PC's CPU is too old. I launch the game in desktop mode for it to let me change those settings.

Really stylish game but severe tutorial burnout in the first couple weeks. Love the shop menus.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

HopperUK posted:

It's great on Deck, yeah. I would just buy the base game until you're sure you really love it. The DLCs variously add a *lot* and the base game has plenty to be getting on with.

100% agree with this poster. I grabbed it when it came out for Switch years ago, and I still keep coming back to it. Great time killer, tons of content even in the base game (although switch came with Afterbirth).

That said I can understand why people don't want to look at Newground's style Flash buttholes. My nephews think its the most vile game they've laid eyes on and they think their mom would kill them if she saw it.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Yeah, I'm so used to Isaac that I don't even notice it now but yes:)

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Ordinarily I'd just grab the base game and see but the DlC is all half off for the sale, would be a pain if I bought it, loved it, and had to shell out an extra $20 in a couple months to get the extras

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Opopanax posted:

Ordinarily I'd just grab the base game and see but the DlC is all half off for the sale, would be a pain if I bought it, loved it, and had to shell out an extra $20 in a couple months to get the extras

I understand the impulse to Just Buy (the size of my Steam library / backlog is evidence of that) but it's pretty likely there'll be another sale in a couple of months.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Opopanax posted:

I mean if you're not worried and you have the cash then go ahead and get it. It's not like it's trash:)

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

With Isaac in particular there’s also been a ton of balance changes to items throughout the DLCs so there’d be a decent chance that if you love the base game then go buy the DLC afterward it’ll gently caress up a bunch of stuff you were just starting to get the hang of, especially with Repentance.

Not the end of the world but it might make the transition a lot more annoying than it would be to just start with everything.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Isaac is one of my top 5 games of all time and it's probably better than its ever been in its current iteration.

And yes, it's great on the deck.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Vegastar posted:

With Isaac in particular there’s also been a ton of balance changes to items throughout the DLCs so there’d be a decent chance that if you love the base game then go buy the DLC afterward it’ll gently caress up a bunch of stuff you were just starting to get the hang of, especially with Repentance.

Not the end of the world but it might make the transition a lot more annoying than it would be to just start with everything.

Oh that's true, actually yeah. I would say the base game is plenty but you won't really be wrong to buy everything if you feel like it.

If I have Persona 4 and haven't played it yet there's no particular reason to buy 5, right? 4 is still considered very good? 2023 is going to be the year I crack JRPGs, I've decided.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I actually like 4 better than 5, fwiw.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

They’re entirely separate so you can buy 5 whenever you want. Get royale when it’s on sale imo.

5 has much better dungeons than 4 but 4 is very good.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

HopperUK posted:

Oh that's true, actually yeah. I would say the base game is plenty but you won't really be wrong to buy everything if you feel like it.

If I have Persona 4 and haven't played it yet there's no particular reason to buy 5, right? 4 is still considered very good? 2023 is going to be the year I crack JRPGs, I've decided.

4 is arguably better if you’ve never played the series before. 5 is great, but it is an absolutely massive, bloated 100+ hour story while 4 is a bit more streamlined.

When/if you’ve played through 4 and decided ‘hell yeah, give me another 100 hours of this but flashier’ that’s the time to grab 5.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Gotcha, thanks friends.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

I will say Binding of Isaac is an older game and i would recommend something like this mod which just gives you item descriptions for things on screen. BoI has an insane set of items and it's not always clear that you can gently caress yourself by picking up an item which ruins a run

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfi...-YSp5J8c6lQugpV

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?
Yep! 4 has the better story, arguably better characters and soundtrack but worse dungeons. 5 has an absolute poo poo ton of style as it's main feature.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
All I want is a new port of 3 with full control for your party (maybe girl cutscenes would be a bonus too)

After playing 4, 5 felt very restricted, I was so used to having all that time to work with. 5 has some of the coolest Ui design I've ever seen though

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Pro Tip: look up a spoiler-free guide to getting the True Ending for 4, because its awesome and gently caress re-doing the whole game.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Yeah if you really want there’s a guide out there that’s literally day by day exactly what tasks to do to min-max your way to everything but I’d only do that if you’re only going to play the 60 hour JRPG once.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Party Boat posted:

I understand the impulse to Just Buy (the size of my Steam library / backlog is evidence of that) but it's pretty likely there'll be another sale in a couple of months.

might as well just buy it (again)

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

History Comes Inside! posted:

Yeah if you really want there’s a guide out there that’s literally day by day exactly what tasks to do to min-max your way to everything but I’d only do that if you’re only going to play the 60 hour JRPG once.

Yeah, the spoiler free ending guide I used is much less in depth.

It literally just tells you the prerequisites for the True Ending, and what dialog options to pick at a certain point towards the end of the game to make sure you get there.

The daily guide exists, and works well, but is absolutely unnecessary.

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

Tiny Timbs posted:

It sounds a little silly but this exact kind of stuff would get a game to fail cert on mainstream consoles.

My guess is they have half an eye on people gaming on some future steam console that wouldn't necessarily come with keyboards or mice and want to be strict with verification so verified stuff 'just works'.

It also encourages developers to spend the time making it work properly and have the right interface.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

RBA Starblade posted:

I should install decky loader eventually

If you have emudeck already it's very easy to install. I also recommend Decky if you're crazy like me and want to see non-steam game playtime and other things like this:

Barreft fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Dec 28, 2022

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Barreft posted:

If you have emudeck already it's very easy to install. I also recommend Decky if you're crazy like me and want to see non-steam game playtime and other things like this:

How does it categorize the times there?

Tiny Timbs posted:

Yeah I think they want “Verified” to mean “this will be as smooth as if you were playing on the Switch”.

Subjunctive fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Dec 28, 2022

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Subjunctive posted:

How does it categorize the times there?

It's a Decky plugin. If you go into Tools into the Emudeck menu there's an option to install Decky.

https://steamdecklife.com/category/steam-deck-plugins/

e: oh I get what you mean, it's at: https://howlongtobeat.com/
It's kinda like retroachievements and protondb, just user made but helpful

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Barreft posted:

It's a Decky plugin. If you go into Tools into the Emudeck menu there's an option to install Decky.

https://steamdecklife.com/category/steam-deck-plugins/

Sorry, I mean “how does it decide what playtime to count in which categories?”

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Subjunctive posted:

Sorry, I mean “how does it decide what playtime to count in which categories?”

edited above ^

I have no idea how legit it is, it's just a neat plugin that gives me an idea. it works on roms too, anything really.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Barreft posted:

edited above ^

I have no idea how legit it is, it's just a neat plugin that gives me an idea. it works on roms too, anything really.

Oh! I thought it was telling you how much time you’d spent in various categories, not a prediction for how long it would take. That’s pretty cool, I’ll definitely install it.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Subjunctive posted:

Oh! I thought it was telling you how much time you’d spent in various categories, not a prediction for how long it would take. That’s pretty cool, I’ll definitely install it.

Oh yeah no. But Metadeck in Decky does show how long you've played any game that isn't Steam

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Barreft posted:

Decky stuff aside, what's your take on Harvestella and Chained Echoes? Reviews seem a bit divided but they look interesting enough on first glance.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Mat Cauthon posted:

Decky stuff aside, what's your take on Harvestella and Chained Echoes? Reviews seem a bit divided but they look interesting enough on first glance.

Harvestella got on my top 10 of the year. I consider it like Legend of Mana but in 3D. I absolutley love it, but if you're expecting a farm sim like RF5 then no. You use the farm to make food to get buffs to go fight. It's really well written, you learn to love even the kids in every town, the music is incredible, but the combat sucks. but you get like 16 classes so it doesn't get too boring.

Chained Echoes is great so far, but I DLed from dodi so I have no money in it. If you liked Chrono Trigger it's fuckin great. Only thing stopping me from playing it is playing Harvestella and Primehack

e: spoilers:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A26BrImYjIo

Barreft fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Dec 28, 2022

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

Finally installed the protondb badges plug-in and it turns out that something like 95% of my steam library is playable to some degree. Even most of the “unsupported” games had a gold rating and trying a few of them out had good results.

The steam verification system does seem to take more into account more than just “will it run” like accessibility and how much you need to mess with settings, launchers, or other programs.

Basically the closer you get to a console experience, the more likely it will be considered verified.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Cnidaria posted:

Finally installed the protondb badges plug-in and it turns out that something like 95% of my steam library is playable to some degree. Even most of the “unsupported” games had a gold rating and trying a few of them out had good results.

The steam verification system does seem to take more into account more than just “will it run” like accessibility and how much you need to mess with settings, launchers, or other programs.

Basically the closer you get to a console experience, the more likely it will be considered verified.

I love opening a game thats Unsupported yet ranks Platinum. I honestly like Steam's approach.

better to be careful for the people thinking this is Switch easy play