Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Calico Heart posted:

Is there any reason from a game design perspective whatsoever that Team Star bases give no exp at all

Why would they? It's clearly a weird side minigame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Why would they? It's clearly a weird side minigame.

it is 100% using mechanics that do give exp in the main game.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Muscle Tracer posted:

it is 100% using mechanics that do give exp in the main game.

Yeah but it's still framed entirely as a sectioned off as it's own little thing mechanically. The trainers sending out wave after wave, I wouldn't be shocked if it is using different stat checks than normal Let's Go 'fights'.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Tampa Bae posted:

lol this is the third Pokemon game in a row I've got a shiny within the first hour or two of gameplay

Skwovet in the first route of Shield
Zubat in the first cave in Pearl
Skiddo in my first raid battle in Violet

Not very interesting ones but it's funny that this keeps happening to me.

Even though the game looks pretty bad I've already had more fun playing it than I did Sword/Shield

I have a shiny crobat in PLA and he was my second-ever shiny pokemon. I love him.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

This might be the first mainline Pokemon game where I've caught a wild shiny without trying. Ran into a shiny Murkrow just out in the field while I was going through the main game.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
I don't understand the purpose of let's go battling. When I've tried it I'll get like 40xp per fight that I'd get like 2000xp for if I actually do the battle.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

big black turnout posted:

I don't understand the purpose of let's go battling. When I've tried it I'll get like 40xp per fight that I'd get like 2000xp for if I actually do the battle.

It's really for mats grinding and shiny hunting, not xp. You want exp, go to area zero, eat a normal sandwich and genocide Chansey.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

JohnCompany posted:

It's really for mats grinding and shiny hunting, not xp. You want exp, go to area zero, eat a normal sandwich and genocide Chansey.

How does it help with shiny hunting? Does it not attack shiny mons?

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

HootTheOwl posted:

Yeah it won't attack shinies

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

HootTheOwl posted:

It allegedly does not, but also you can use it in a mass outbreak to clear out mons much faster and get to the part where the shiny rate increases more easily.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Really? Good to know.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
Dang, a shiny murkrow would be maybe the only thing that would cause me to replace my current murkrow ace, even tho they're basically just purple instead of murkrow colored

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Is there a list of generally recommended Tera Raid builds? I'm doing some reading up and trying to get a few mons trained up so I can quickly solo the 5-star raids and hopefully start farming the 6-stars for some Ability Patches and EXP Candy and stuff.

I started off with a Huge Power Azumarill with Play Rough/Liquidation/Superpower/Belly Drum. It's been really effective at 5-stars as long as the raid target can't counter me with supereffective hits. Currently EXP grinding a Gholdengo with Make It Rain/Shadow Ball/Metal Sound/filler. Not sure where to go from there!

I also just obliterated a 5-star Dark Tinkaton, and it has 5 perfect IVs! :aaa:

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

DizzyBum posted:

Is there a list of generally recommended Tera Raid builds? I'm doing some reading up and trying to get a few mons trained up so I can quickly solo the 5-star raids and hopefully start farming the 6-stars for some Ability Patches and EXP Candy and stuff.

I started off with a Huge Power Azumarill with Play Rough/Liquidation/Superpower/Belly Drum. It's been really effective at 5-stars as long as the raid target can't counter me with supereffective hits. Currently EXP grinding a Gholdengo with Make It Rain/Shadow Ball/Metal Sound/filler. Not sure where to go from there!

I also just obliterated a 5-star Dark Tinkaton, and it has 5 perfect IVs! :aaa:

I've seen a lot of support Umbreons!

I have a slightly dopey noob question. I've gotten a few of the regular ability capsules from five stars. Not patches, just the ordinary ability swappers. Are there any pokemon that stand out to those of you more knowledgeable as having one regular ability that's way, way better then the other? I know I could trawl serebii and work it out but I'm curious if people have any obvious 'if you have X pokemon with Y ability, change it right away' picks.

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?

DizzyBum posted:

Bellibolt with acid spray and parabolic charge and two floating moves (electric terrain and the screens are some choices.

HP and SPAtk for evs.

Acid spray debuffs through the shield, parabolic charge heals.

Hard to lose with this one

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

HopperUK posted:

I've seen a lot of support Umbreons!

I have a slightly dopey noob question. I've gotten a few of the regular ability capsules from five stars. Not patches, just the ordinary ability swappers. Are there any pokemon that stand out to those of you more knowledgeable as having one regular ability that's way, way better then the other? I know I could trawl serebii and work it out but I'm curious if people have any obvious 'if you have X pokemon with Y ability, change it right away' picks.

Azumarill with Huge Power v. Thick Fat immediately comes to mind. Tauros with Intimidate over Anger Point, Lopunny with Cute Charm over Klutz are also clearly on the list. Bronzong with Levitate over Heatproof is strictly speaking better, as immunity beats 1/2 damage, but it's more meta-dependant than always the right call.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
Would a blissey with toxic/helping hand/reflect/light screen or

Healing pulse/helpinghand/reflect/light screen?

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

Aerofallosov posted:

Blissey doesn't have access to Toxic in SV (or SwSh), so unless this is for something pre-SwSh or in BDSP, the question answers itself.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

JohnCompany posted:

Azumarill with Huge Power v. Thick Fat immediately comes to mind. Tauros with Intimidate over Anger Point, Lopunny with Cute Charm over Klutz are also clearly on the list. Bronzong with Levitate over Heatproof is strictly speaking better, as immunity beats 1/2 damage, but it's more meta-dependant than always the right call.

Ehhh, in singles sure, but there's some niche strats you can do with anger point in doubles.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

JohnCompany posted:

Thank you!

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

The Golux posted:

It allegedly does not, but also you can use it in a mass outbreak to clear out mons much faster and get to the part where the shiny rate increases more easily.

I only noticed a shiny Yungoos because my starter refused to fight it.

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

Aerofallosov posted:

I have good results with Chansey and Light Screen/Skill Swap/Life Dew/Helping Hand. Eviolite makes you a tank and Skill Swap is a very useful tool to have.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
I found the last ruin mon without using a guide in the end. By the time I found the shrine I'd only got one peg left to find. And the history teacher is currently hanging out in the school entrance hall saying "I'll tell you when I find out more about the 4 ruin pokemon, please be patient" lady I have them all already, they are in my PC.

Got the shiny charm. Already had 8 shinies before I got it. Buizel, Bronzor, Cubchoo, Venomoth, and two Murkrow and I forget what the other two are. I need to learn how to hunt shinies in this game

One thing I'm confused about is I occasionally see people in raids with Purrserker. Where do you get Purrserker in this? did I miss an event?

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

Hammerite posted:

One thing I'm confused about is I occasionally see people in raids with Purrserker. Where do you get Purrserker in this? did I miss an event?

The languages teacher gives you a Galarian Meowth when you max out your bond with him.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Hammerite posted:

Do the language classes and then do the teacher’s side quest

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Hammerite posted:

I found the last ruin mon without using a guide in the end. By the time I found the shrine I'd only got one peg left to find. And the history teacher is currently hanging out in the school entrance hall saying "I'll tell you when I find out more about the 4 ruin pokemon, please be patient" lady I have them all already, they are in my PC.

Got the shiny charm. Already had 8 shinies before I got it. Buizel, Bronzor, Cubchoo, Venomoth, and two Murkrow and I forget what the other two are. I need to learn how to hunt shinies in this game

One of the teachers will give you Galarian Meowth. I think it's Jacqs.

Shiny hunting in this game is really easy. You can just move around to spawn and respawn groups of pokemon. So eat an encounter sandwich of the right type, ideally with sparkling power if you have access to that for increased shiny chance, and just roam slowly around checking the little packs that spawn. If possible try to find a place where the pokemon you want is the only one of that type that can spawn to make it easier.

Or you can breed for it too, breeding is super quick and simple now.

e: probably not Jacqs actually, I dunno, one of em

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

HopperUK posted:

One of the teachers will give you Galarian Meowth. I think it's Jacqs.

Shiny hunting in this game is really easy. You can just move around to spawn and respawn groups of pokemon. So eat an encounter sandwich of the right type, ideally with sparkling power if you have access to that for increased shiny chance, and just roam slowly around checking the little packs that spawn. If possible try to find a place where the pokemon you want is the only one of that type that can spawn to make it easier.

Or you can breed for it too, breeding is super quick and simple now.

e: probably not Jacqs actually, I dunno, one of em

Salvatore. His name is even at the end of every exam smh

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

ROFL Octopus posted:

Salvatore. His name is even at the end of every exam smh

I know, I feel bad, he's my favourite

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

All right, well, Gholdengo is a raiding beast. I just unlocked 6-star raids and found a Poison Tauros. Figured, what the hell, let's see how much of a disaster this'll be... This fucker solo'd it with time to spare. The NPC mons just kept dying after 2-3 turns. Tauros just kept spamming Thrash and couldn't do poo poo to me.

What items are people using on their raid mons? I've just been sticking a Sitrus Berry on my dudes and it's been coming in clutch. Leftovers might be a safe choice too, I'm thinking.

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011

DizzyBum posted:

What items are people using on their raid mons? I've just been sticking a Sitrus Berry on my dudes and it's been coming in clutch. Leftovers might be a safe choice too, I'm thinking.

Shell bell. Heals 1/8 of damage dealt, which is huge with the raid mons

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/Starrcasm/status/1606811006688452609

Those :buddy:

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

DizzyBum posted:

All right, well, Gholdengo is a raiding beast. I just unlocked 6-star raids and found a Poison Tauros. Figured, what the hell, let's see how much of a disaster this'll be... This fucker solo'd it with time to spare. The NPC mons just kept dying after 2-3 turns. Tauros just kept spamming Thrash and couldn't do poo poo to me.

Covert Cloak is a good way to minimize headaches

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Shell Bell, Covert Cloak, or Metronome are very common raid items.

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009
Lum berry is surprising useful because of all the status moves thrown out. Makes Iron Hands less of a pain to use after belly drumming as not being will-o-wisped or put to sleep will let you get that one drain punch out before the shield pops up.

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

I've been using Iron Hands to go Force Palm -> Force Palm -> Force Palm -> Tera + Belly Drum -> Drain Punch. Has a chance of paralyzing before the shield goes up and gets me in Tera form one turn sooner.

Emo Szyslak
Feb 25, 2006

what ball are y'all gonna put yr cinderace in?

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Gotta be a Fast Ball, right?

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

Hammerite posted:

and two Murkrow

I uh, I don't suppose there's anything a schlub what hasn't even finished his Pokedex could interest a person in for a shiny Murkrow :shobon:

Edit: shiny for shiny? I have a golden Sableye I'd trade for a shiny version of my ace since emerald lmao

Paramemetic fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Dec 28, 2022

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011
Man, this post-Christmas period is absolutely terrible for raids.

Like it was bad before but at least people weren't bringing their Meowscaradas against a dragalge and using leaf storm every turn lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Scuba Trooper posted:

what ball are y'all gonna put yr cinderace in?

Repeat ball to match the colors up.