Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

:stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

I've flown around several islands in the Azores, but not Flores, and I'm guessing that they really wanted to make that landing given that the alternatives are far away and service is very limited. Still, jesus.

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

dupersaurus posted:

lol, lmao, rofl, etc

I say, as I realize I'll never be able to get a PPL because I have well managed depression.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Lord Stimperor posted:

O yeah no biggie it does that sometimes

The CRJ experience

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I keep forgetting you all are such big fans of her. I thought Emotion: Side B was far far superior to the “A” version of the album. “Carley, this is too 80’s A E S T H E T I C!” “gently caress you, do it even more.”

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
run away with me goes hard

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Happy Holidays, Miami Center

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

:ohno:

Today wasn’t actually that bad. January first is going to be a loving shitshow.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

https://twitter.com/CNN/status/1606356539236810759

Can you throw the SCE to AUX in a 321? :science:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

No, but you can probably still get clocked in the head by unstowed equipment when landing.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

https://twitter.com/Yurobeat_/status/1605885584777416705

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

:hmmyes:

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

Get the scientists working on the tube technology, immediately.

Callsign/flight number: Tora 1941

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Opposite side painted like a B-29?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

So is this one of those things where submissions were automatically put up to be voted on or did someone just create it using the contest’s template :allears:

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

It's not always sunny in Philadelphia.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Grand Theft Airbus(es): https://onemileatatime.com/news/airbus-a340-disappear-iran/

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

15 Never built commercial planes from found and explained

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDh5zwclHKg

Tag yourself, I'm the Sukhoi with the partially folding wings

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

This is really interesting but oh boy that twitter thread is why twitter vigilantism is not to be taken seriously.

Particularly this tweet:
https://twitter.com/BabakTaghvaee1/status/1606423825066991616

In particular the line "#Turkey helps #MahanAir to circumvent #US sanctions." plainly states that the nation of Turkey helped Iran circumvent sanctions while presenting basically 0 evidence to even somewhat indicate that. Thier "on information and belief" CLAIMS dont even really support it. It may well be true but hot drat did that conclusion get jumped to without giving the people who could actually DO something about it, i.e. the government any evidence that it should be taken seriously.

An airline that is minority owned by the Turkish Government sold planes that may have ended up in Iran is the most one could credibly state based on the claims there, assuming the evidence to back up those claims exists which HOOOOO BOY is a big assumption.

Thread reader: https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1606423825066991616.html

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Nebakenezzer posted:

The MD-12 was stolen from us.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Nebakenezzer posted:

i'll be the AA ekranoplan

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

My first thought about that Sukhoi was "that escalator would always be broken."

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

Get the scientists working on the tube technology, immediately.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

My first thought about that Sukhoi was "that escalator would always be broken."

MEL: Pax escalator OTS, temporarily stairs. Sorry for the convenience.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Two Kings posted:

MEL: Pax escalator OTS, temporarily stairs. Sorry for the convenience.

Pax escalator depl. mech. inop, pax now live on plane.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I think it's past time for the federal government to step in and block Southwest from accepting any future bookings until a full investigation is done and they get their poo poo sorted.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

bull3964 posted:

I think it's past time for the federal government to step in and block Southwest from accepting any future bookings until a full investigation is done and they get their poo poo sorted.

Not really how this works, but I absolutely understand your angst.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

bull3964 posted:

Transportation Secretary Buttchug has already said he's very mad at them, what else do you want the government to do? Regulate them or something?

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?
Southwest has a stellar reputation that’s currently going down in flames. What are they going to do about this? Imagine all the people who are never going to give them a chance again.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

0toShifty posted:

Southwest has a stellar reputation that’s currently going down in flames. What are they going to do about this? Imagine all the people who are never going to give them a chance again.

People still voluntarily fly Allegiant, Frontier, and Spirit. Just because Southwest was the 'nicest' flying nearly-no-frills Greyhound equivalent doesn't mean people still won't utilize their services, especially given the fact that out of a lot of non-hub areas they're still their best option that doesn't involve CRJs.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

The second they’re $25 cheaper than the competition almost everyone will be right back.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

sellouts posted:

The second they’re $25 cheaper than the competition almost everyone will be right back.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Beef Of Ages posted:

Not really how this works, but I absolutely understand your angst.

When you cancel over 50% of your flights over multiple days, there's a very strong case for charging fraud because they aren't exactly delivering the product that they sold.

I know the DOT is "looking" at it, but we really need some legislation here.

To be clear, I'm not currently flying. However, I do have a friend that very much needs to get to an out of state hospital on a specific date to consult for a trial to treat his stage 4 cancer and the way things are going, it's not going to happen. They are literally going to kill people over this poo poo.

Also, if their staffing is in such disarray, how can we have any confidence that they are doing proper maintenance on their planes?

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Dec 28, 2022

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Southwest is hurting a lot of people, but they’re probably not at the point where they’re falsifying maintenance records.

The executives might really really want to do this, but the folks turning the wrenches (or not turning the wrenches) would rather avoid hard time in the federal pen.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

bull3964 posted:

When you cancel over 50% of your flights over multiple days, there's a very strong case for charging fraud because they aren't exactly delivering the product that they sold.

I know the DOT is "looking" at it, but we really need some legislation here.

To be clear, I'm not currently flying. However, I do have a friend that very much needs to get to an out of state hospital on a specific date to consult for a trial to treat his stage 4 cancer and the way things are going, it's not going to happen. They are literally going to kill people over this poo poo.

Also, if their staffing is in such disarray, how can we have any confidence that they are doing proper maintenance on their planes?

It isn't fraud, sheesh! Southwest sold the tickets fully intending to run the flights and give the customers what they paid for. The weather threw a wrench into things and then their systems turned out to be made of tissue paper and chewing gum and everything collapsed. That's just a regular old gently caress-up, not fraud.

The passengers can certainly demand/sue to get their plane tickets refunded and maybe some extra money for their inconvenience, but that's as far as it goes. It's nuts to suggest that the people at Southwest are criminals because a bunch of their passengers got stuck at the airport. Get real.

Sorry about your friend but that also is not the airline's problem. Southwest is not a hospital and they do not guarantee that their plane will get you to your destination on time. If it's a life-and-death situation, you might need to consider some contingency plans like driving there a few days in advance or chartering an alternative sort of transportation. I was going to say "welcome to healthcare in America" but that isn't even unique to the USA. Sometimes flights get cancelled and you need to plan ahead if it's going to literally kill you if they do.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Dec 28, 2022

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yeah, there's no "plan ahead" when it comes to cancer. It's "there's an appointment available 4 days from now for the next thing on the list that might keep you from dying in the next 90 days across the country. Go now or you may be dead by the time there's another available appointment."

Southwest's collapse isn't just affecting Southwest, it's depleting air capacity across the board since everyone is scrambling to rebook whatever they can.

The ability for one actor in this space to cause this much chaos nationwide needs to be regulated.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

What needs to be regulated is the hiring & staffing practices. This is not the first or even the third time this type of thing has happened even since the pandemic and it is a curse across the US if not other places to cut staff to the bone to preserve profits. Proper staffing and ready back-up flight crews on stand-by won't ever stop inclement-weather issues but they won't be as dramatically severe as this bullshit has been.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Also, if an airline claims a flight is cancelled due to weather related reasons, it needs to be directly related to weather.

All of these flight cancellations in the past few days are being given the reason as "weather" as a way to shirk further responsibility. No, there were some flights at the beginning of this cancelled due to weather. The rest of this is your system being unable to cope with the rescheduling. These are not weather related cancellations. These are cancellations due to the breakdown of the functioning of your company and need to be treated like "we hosed up" cancellations.

A cancellation should only be allowed to be defined as a weather related cancellation if it's due to the weather at the source, destination, or some stop along the route. You can't get to claim weather cancellation between two completely fine locations if you don't have a plane due to a crew not being able to leave some airport 3 flights earlier. That's the airline's issue, they need to have the excess capacity to pull a plane and crew from somewhere else.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Dec 28, 2022

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I didn't follow that closely but as I understood there was massive snowstorm that meant a ton of flights had to be canceled, which meant the planes and crews weren't were they were supposed to be so more stuff had to be canceled. That's bad and they probably should be able to do better but doesn't seem like fraud :confused:

TAP canceled my flights because of a possible crew strike and I had to stay 3 days longer. poo poo happens, it's pretty rare and not the end of the world if they offer reasonable alternatives or compensation.

https://i.imgur.com/paNZdYv.mp4

Mike!

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

mobby_6kl posted:

I didn't follow that closely but as I understood there was massive snowstorm that meant a ton of flights had to be canceled, which meant the planes and crews weren't were they were supposed to be so more stuff had to be canceled. That's bad and they probably should be able to do better but doesn't seem like fraud :confused:

TAP canceled my flights because of a possible crew strike and I had to stay 3 days longer. poo poo happens, it's pretty rare and not the end of the world if they offer reasonable alternatives or compensation.

https://i.imgur.com/paNZdYv.mp4

Mike!

Every other airline weathered the storm fine, but southwest has been riding their staff to the limit for a few years now and it (finally) broke hard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

mobby_6kl posted:

84% of flight cancellations nationwide were Southwest on Tuesday
91% of flight cancellations nationwide were Southwest Today
99% of current tomorrow flight cancellations are Southwest

I know yesterday at our airport, Southwest had 41 flights scheduled. 38 were cancelled. The storm passed through the east coast on Friday. An airline shouldn't be cancelling 70% of their flights 4 days after a weather event, not when other airlines were able to recover in 24 hours.

The numbers are staggering. Other airlines had a day or so of cancellations in the teens during the weather but quickly recovered. Southwest's hole just keeps getting deeper. There's likely to be greater than 50% cancellation rate well into the new year. At this point, we're nearly a week out from the storm.

This is more than just a snowstorm that cancelled flights. That was the precipitating event, combined with Christmas, that sent things into freefall. Someone, somewhere in the hierarchy of the company signed off on this risk from their operating practices. If there's no case for fraud for customers, there's almost certainly some accountability that should be able to be extracted by the shareholders.