Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Scott and Borgman would benefit from teen pre-readers to make sure they're saying what they think they're saying.

edit: not happy to start a new page with this :/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

I tried looking for this clip but couldn't find it online. Good clip though.
Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Heart of the City

Curtis

I guess Joe can work from home but can't get Instacart?

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Scary Gary

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Screaming And making GBS threads And Crying The Holiday Season Away

Awful Rabbit Child Adventures

Pancho Jueves
Aug 20, 2007

BEST FRIENDS!!
Hey all, I'm working on the OP for next year, but I'll acknowledge I'm not an expert in everything posted in this thread. My blind spots are mainly with foreign comics (i.e. Scandinavian and Japanese) and the older 20's and 30's era selections.

If anyone who posts these comics or reads them enough to be familiar would be willing to shoot me a PM with a one or two-sentence summary of what they're about, I'd be happy to integrate into the OP to give an adequate introduction to new readers.

thisusedyet
Feb 14, 2012

My post... it sucks!!!

Green Intern posted:

Their future car is the same shape as the toy those weirdos made for their kid by melting a gun. Also, this comic is loving infuriating with how shoehorned everything is.

Nah, this is too much to shoehorn. This poo poo's getting crowbarred in.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Old School Peanuts (Jan 10, 1954)

Calvin and Hobbes (Oct 9-10, 1992)

A rare C&H where his parents are cool and supportive.

Big Nate

I don't know dude, she seems like she's being pretty nice to me.

Now that I think about it Nate has a lot of enemies that only seem to exist in his head. If that's something Pierce is doing intentionally then that's actually a pretty clever.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Pancho Jueves posted:

Is anyone working on the new thread? I'd be willing to put something together this week if there's nothing else in the works already.

Feel free to do so. I am, as has been noticed, a bit indisposed when it comes to making a new thread at the moment. My suggestion for a title was The Lunatics Return although it'll be a week into the year before I get to the comic that actually uses that phrase.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

2023: Time Enough At Les.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Pancho Jueves posted:

Hey all, I'm working on the OP for next year, but I'll acknowledge I'm not an expert in everything posted in this thread. My blind spots are mainly with foreign comics (i.e. Scandinavian and Japanese) and the older 20's and 30's era selections.

If anyone who posts these comics or reads them enough to be familiar would be willing to shoot me a PM with a one or two-sentence summary of what they're about, I'd be happy to integrate into the OP to give an adequate introduction to new readers.
Thanks for working on getting the new thread started!

F Minus

:china:

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

The Demons of Baseball

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
I know it's just the fold/page divide but it looks like they inflicted some manner of interstellar horror on Planck and his face was the price.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Popcom

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...

Pancho Jueves posted:

I don't have PMs, but:

The Antique Dealer’s Tale

Maruoka Kuzo writes Uramachi Sakaba and a series of related comics set in its shared universe. The setting is nominally cyberpunk / post-apocalyptic, but as often as not the stories are about working-class people in mid-to late-20th-century Japan as much as anything futuristic. Bars and bar food feature prominently - "Cyberpunk Cheers" seems to be how people have settled on describing Uramachi Sakaba - and Maruoka is a master of leaning into a trope and giving you a story that is somehow at the same time utterly unsurprising yet completely charming.

Cthulhu and Girl

Cthulhu and Girl, by Ponto Gotanda, is bubblegum in comic strip form, and about 148% more pure-hearted than it has any right to be. Aspiring idol Inaba Futaba inadvertently adopts Literal Cthulhu as a pet, and he works behind the scenes to propel her to stardom.

Ajara

Starship fuel is made of people hamsters!
(This is a short-run comic so probably doesn't need its own writeup. I could give a couple sentences about Q-Rais in general, but I'm not the only person posting his comics in the thread or anything.)

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side of the Horse

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Pancho Jueves posted:

PM sent.

everyone wear hats now
Jul 29, 2010

The Creeps

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Heart of the City

Curtis

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
Was it illegal for women to turn down baseball related proposals back in the day cuz Maggie you really had no reason to actually marry him if you didn't want to. Other than I guess your pain in the rear end mom?

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Dec. 26, 1954)

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
She obligated herself and now her impeccable honour demands she see it through.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

so curtis is going to have this guy get plastic surgery, become popular, fish will get sick from neglect, he will learn a great lesson about who he is, return to status quo, and i still won't know what kwanzaa is

also he MIGHT possess the will of D who knows

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Buni

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 12/27/02

Brenda Starr 2/5/50

Smokey Stover 1/6/52

Everyday Movies 12/9/35

"What are you hollerin' at me for? Didn't I just tell you Krausmeyer promised me the Santa Claus job again this year?"

Bonus Comic! I know absolutely nothing about this one, other than it looks kinda like a knockoff Nancy, but the final panel caught my eye.

Honeybelle 6/8/51

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

Alt

The Family Circus

Alt

He simply started quickly moving away when he saw that Dolly's torso was on backwards. :ms:

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Vargo posted:

Breaking Cat News

I tried looking for this clip but couldn't find it online. Good clip though.

A commenter on GoComics found it and Georgia Dunn posted it to the BCN facebook page:

https://youtu.be/01hmev-JbQc

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

~Coxy posted:

Our Boarding House (March 28, 1923)

This is exactly what I thought of when reading the major’s plans

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (Dec. 26, 1954)

Hal, buddy, pal. I know you wanted to do a giant splash panel and it's gorgeous. If you have to number your panels and I still read them in the wrong order, you've really hosed up.

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

an admin fat fingered a permaban and all i got was this lousy av

Vargo posted:

Breaking Cat News

"Joyful hiss"

Powerful Katrinka fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Dec 28, 2022

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Selachian posted:

Honeybelle 6/8/51

:lol:

Comic Strips 2023: THIS IS @!?!¤!#? GOOD!

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Mutts

Sally Forth

Peanuts (January 5, 1976)

One Last OH FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU For The Road

Crankshaft

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (July 29, 1939)

Out Our Way (September 5-7, 1940)

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

EasyEW posted:

Im not going to jump on the obvious here: who’s that in the framed photo in the middle panel? Someone from Crankshaft?

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
jesus loving christ funky.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

I AM GRANDO posted:

Im not going to jump on the obvious here: who’s that in the framed photo in the middle panel? Someone from Crankshaft?

Lillian, the original proprietor of the bookshop, and eventually a mystery writer. She is long dead in this version of the future, unless her brain in a jar is running the helper robot.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

EasyEW posted:

Either those books are shelved upside down or Batiuk didn't go look at any book spine to see which way the titles go on.

(Or, just possibly, they aren't US-market books; I understand some parts of the world do it backwards.)

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

EasyEW posted:

Shut the gently caress up, Batiuk.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

I AM GRANDO posted:

I assume it's the old lady that runs the bookshop in the present day.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Funky Wankerfest

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

an admin fat fingered a permaban and all i got was this lousy av

Vargo posted:

jesus loving christ funky.

Like, I'm sorry, but if Summer Moore is a famous author in this hellscape, how would it escape everyone's attention that her father was a published writer who wrote about the famous Summer Moore's goddamn mother? The book that inspired a loving Oscar-winning film? Was it so bad that it had to be memory-holed, like a Key and Peele sketch?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

EasyEW posted: