Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

How does dying work in ZS? I only got my feet wet in it and then died, and it reset me back to the start with the default supplies. Does it reset to default every death, or do you reset to before you started your run?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

CuddleCryptid posted:

How does dying work in ZS? I only got my feet wet in it and then died, and it reset me back to the start with the default supplies. Does it reset to default every death, or do you reset to before you started your run?

It resets to what you had before you started the run. When you start it's nice cause you won't bleed out supplies while you die learning. Once you start getting more stuff it's very helpful as well.

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017
Modded Zomboid question.

I'm playing on a server that has a bunch of extra building mods and tiles (like More Buildings, More Buildings+ and a bunch of tile packs).

I know in unmodded Zomboid, zombies won't attack non player made walls or certain moveable furniture like garbage dumpsters or fridges.

How does the player made detection work? If I build one of the custom modded tile fences that you can't normally build, will zombies still attack those or do they act like their original?

For example, you can't normally build the high barb wire fences or high chain link fences, but you can with one of these mod packs too, so would zombies attack those or would they act around them like they would if they saw a non player built one (try to go around)?.

Got a new base with one side surrounded with high fence, bit want to extend it all the way around, and thinking of how I want it to look (don't want to go for ghetto, want to make it interesting looking).

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Evil Kit posted:

It resets to what you had before you started the run. When you start it's nice cause you won't bleed out supplies while you die learning. Once you start getting more stuff it's very helpful as well.

You also keep any skill gains from the failed raid. The one other thing I’ve noticed that is permanent is that time still passes. If you go in a raid at 8am and die at 11am, it’ll be 11am when you get dumped at the bunker link nothing ever happened.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Evil Kit posted:

Oh good, so I don't need to worry about blowing/losing resources on failed raids.

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!

Oysters Autobio posted:

Modded Zomboid question.

I'm playing on a server that has a bunch of extra building mods and tiles (like More Buildings, More Buildings+ and a bunch of tile packs).

I know in unmodded Zomboid, zombies won't attack non player made walls or certain moveable furniture like garbage dumpsters or fridges.

How does the player made detection work? If I build one of the custom modded tile fences that you can't normally build, will zombies still attack those or do they act like their original?

For example, you can't normally build the high barb wire fences or high chain link fences, but you can with one of these mod packs too, so would zombies attack those or would they act around them like they would if they saw a non player built one (try to go around)?.

Got a new base with one side surrounded with high fence, bit want to extend it all the way around, and thinking of how I want it to look (don't want to go for ghetto, want to make it interesting looking).

Honestly it’s probably how the object was tagged in the database as far as human vs. plopped. Given the amount of mods in PZ and how varied they are for support/quality, it might be worth asking on the mod page or discord directly.

There are ways to build non attackable structures in vanilla, though they could change that behavior in the future. If you build a wall|small crate|wall, zombies won’t attack it.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

duffmensch posted:

Honestly it’s probably how the object was tagged in the database as far as human vs. plopped. Given the amount of mods in PZ and how varied they are for support/quality, it might be worth asking on the mod page or discord directly.

There are ways to build non attackable structures in vanilla, though they could change that behavior in the future. If you build a wall|small crate|wall, zombies won’t attack it.

Yep, this. Also, if you move a fridge, zombies will actually attack it, if it's blocking their way. So if you leave a fridge where it spawns, I don't believes zombies will ever attack it. Sadly though, if you make a fridge wall, they'll knock it over before long.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Major Isoor posted:

Yep, this. Also, if you move a fridge, zombies will actually attack it, if it's blocking their way. So if you leave a fridge where it spawns, I don't believes zombies will ever attack it. Sadly though, if you make a fridge wall, they'll knock it over before long.

The zombies were very happy with how their home and community looks, thank you very much, and do not appreciate player characters running around thinking they know how someone's house should look.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

CuddleCryptid posted:

Oh good, so I don't need to worry about blowing/losing resources on failed raids.

Yes, also this-

CuddleCryptid posted:

If you want some specific direction, try to find a second gun that shores up the weakness of your first, I've prefered SMG but anything faster firing if you have a bolt action or slow firing gun to deal with mutants. Also try to finish the Guide's quest asap, it opens a lot more locations.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

HelloSailorSign posted:

The zombies were very happy with how their home and community looks, thank you very much, and do not appreciate player characters running around thinking they know how someone's house should look.

Yeah, too right! These bloody survivors, thinking they run the place. All they're doing is dragging Muldraugh's feng shui down into the gutters! :D

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

In my restless dreams I see that town...

Flagstaff, Arizona

Evil Kit posted:

Yes, also this-

If you want some specific direction, try to find a second gun that shores up the weakness of your first, I've prefered SMG but anything faster firing if you have a bolt action or slow firing gun to deal with mutants. Also try to finish the Guide's quest asap, it opens a lot more locations.

Yeah I think this point is really important. I primarily use a sniper rifle (currently the VS-98, which is extremely strong with the Sniper specialization) and recently got an F90 (P90) and it has been a gamechanger. I can just magdump the F90 if anything gets too close since it has an absurd ammo capacity while killing most things in 1 or 2 shots safely from a distance.

I'm glad I restarted and saved Igor, frankly it's kind of nuts how different progression is with vs without him, to the point that (unless joining the Green Army compensates significantly now/with later updates) it probably needs a rebalance. He has been solely responsible for so many rare quest items I've seen nowhere else I've started leaving meat in his crate even though it's purely some RP bullshit.

Super important tip that really helped with my survivability: Check your armor's durability frequently. I spent hours with my durability at 0 which means the armor just does not do anything, and you can always repair it at the Doctor merchant for rubles, you don't need to buy the item for it (and I wouldn't unless you plan to take them with you on a hunt to repair in the field).

The difference between one class of armor to the next is also extremely important (you can see it on the bottom of each set of armor) and there's a noticeable improvement from even 2 to 3, and a huge improvement at 4. Armor doesn't reduce damage from bullets, it either stops the bullet entirely or penetrates the armor dealing damage, so you can see a significant increase in survivability if you get high-class armor and make sure to keep it repaired.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

I'm liking ZS in theory but I definitely have been having some issues with the human enemies. Not killing them, its actually very easy to kill them, it's mostly a problem of trying to determine who is a neutral party and who will open fire on sight. The bandanna bandits are one thing but everyone else is kind of a crapshoot it seems.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

CuddleCryptid posted:

I'm liking ZS in theory but I definitely have been having some issues with the human enemies. Not killing them, its actually very easy to kill them, it's mostly a problem of trying to determine who is a neutral party and who will open fire on sight. The bandanna bandits are one thing but everyone else is kind of a crapshoot it seems.
Regular dudes with no bandanas are civilians.
Really bright colored outfits are scientists.
Dull-ish red and green are green and crimson army.
Everyone else, shoot on sight.

Though reputation isn't even a thing right now so feel free to kill everyone you see, too.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Sab Sabbington posted:

Yeah I think this point is really important. I primarily use a sniper rifle (currently the VS-98, which is extremely strong with the Sniper specialization) and recently got an F90 (P90) and it has been a gamechanger. I can just magdump the F90 if anything gets too close since it has an absurd ammo capacity while killing most things in 1 or 2 shots safely from a distance.

I'm glad I restarted and saved Igor, frankly it's kind of nuts how different progression is with vs without him, to the point that (unless joining the Green Army compensates significantly now/with later updates) it probably needs a rebalance. He has been solely responsible for so many rare quest items I've seen nowhere else I've started leaving meat in his crate even though it's purely some RP bullshit.

Super important tip that really helped with my survivability: Check your armor's durability frequently. I spent hours with my durability at 0 which means the armor just does not do anything, and you can always repair it at the Doctor merchant for rubles, you don't need to buy the item for it (and I wouldn't unless you plan to take them with you on a hunt to repair in the field).

The difference between one class of armor to the next is also extremely important (you can see it on the bottom of each set of armor) and there's a noticeable improvement from even 2 to 3, and a huge improvement at 4. Armor doesn't reduce damage from bullets, it either stops the bullet entirely or penetrates the armor dealing damage, so you can see a significant increase in survivability if you get high-class armor and make sure to keep it repaired.

I have a dark, dark secret to reveal: I've found another NPC. His name is Mr. Junk. You can find him on the Makeshift Camp, the entrance to his lair is one of those sewer pipe entrances.

Accept his quest, (you need to have completed the Guide's quest to unlock the Swamp so you can do Mr. Junk's) and be amazed as you realized how mad I was when I learned he's a Rare item seller. Pillows, Drills, Cooking Pots... holy poo poo I could have saved so much time making base modules if I had gotten this guy unlocked.

:negative:

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Vib Rib posted:

Regular dudes with no bandanas are civilians.
Really bright colored outfits are scientists.
Dull-ish red and green are green and crimson army.
Everyone else, shoot on sight.

Though reputation isn't even a thing right now so feel free to kill everyone you see, too.

So after playing more I've found the issue: There are armored bandits that wear identical armor to the army guys, but they don't have the colored visors. When you round a corner and they light you up it's because they're bandits.

But also some people who are dressed identically to the bandits are neutral?

I'm just going to shoot everyone who is outside a house.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Dec 28, 2022

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

CuddleCryptid posted:

Bandana = bandit. No bandana = not bandit.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

CuddleCryptid posted:

So after playing more I've found the issue: There are armored bandits that wear identical armor to the army guys, but they don't have the colored visors. When you round a corner and they light you up it's because they're bandits.

I'm just going to shoot everyone who is outside a house.

the ones that look similar to green army but are grey/brown and have the funky helmets are Hunters. They're also generally have better weapons and their armor is better than bandit armor.

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

Flagstaff, Arizona

Evil Kit posted:

I have a dark, dark secret to reveal: I've found another NPC. His name is Mr. Junk. You can find him on the Makeshift Camp, the entrance to his lair is one of those sewer pipe entrances.

Accept his quest, (you need to have completed the Guide's quest to unlock the Swamp so you can do Mr. Junk's) and be amazed as you realized how mad I was when I learned he's a Rare item seller. Pillows, Drills, Cooking Pots... holy poo poo I could have saved so much time making base modules if I had gotten this guy unlocked.

:negative:

I'm so glad his friend came back to life I would die for him

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Sab Sabbington posted:

I'm so glad his friend came back to life I would die for him

Igor is best crazy old man

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

Flagstaff, Arizona

Evil Kit posted:

Igor is best crazy old man

It ALMOST makes me totally fine with joining the Evil Megacorp since their poo poo involves killing Green Army members because gently caress the Green Army for wanting Igor dead.

Also: Does anyone know how to get into the Mall on the Makeshift Camp? The building with the ghouls in front of the parking lot and the pile-up of cars blocking the entrance. I have a keycard to a part of the Mall but can not figure out how to actually get inside.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Sab Sabbington posted:

It ALMOST makes me totally fine with joining the Evil Megacorp since their poo poo involves killing Green Army members because gently caress the Green Army for wanting Igor dead.

Also: Does anyone know how to get into the Mall on the Makeshift Camp? The building with the ghouls in front of the parking lot and the pile-up of cars blocking the entrance. I have a keycard to a part of the Mall but can not figure out how to actually get inside.
That's not the mall. The mall is its own entire map.
The area you're trying to get into eventually opens up as you finish more of the main questline.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Sab Sabbington posted:

Is it really the Evil Megacorp if they take down the rear end in a top hat clearly totalitarian Green Army who want to kill the best grandad Igor???

Crimson Corp also has some of my fave guns as well so extra bonus points.

As for the Mall as mentioned it is an entirely separate map. Here is your one warning thread: do not go in unless you are absolutely prepared. It is filled with Hunters, Bandits and Mutants and that's just the outdoor parts. The indoor is nuts, but if you can sneak in and get looting there are some really nice opportunities to jump start or get some base modules made.

Just watch out for a man with a machine gun.

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

Flagstaff, Arizona

Vib Rib posted:

That's not the mall. The mall is its own entire map.
The area you're trying to get into eventually opens up as you finish more of the main questline.

Evil Kit posted:

As for the Mall as mentioned it is an entirely separate map. Here is your one warning thread: do not go in unless you are absolutely prepared. It is filled with Hunters, Bandits and Mutants and that's just the outdoor parts. The indoor is nuts, but if you can sneak in and get looting there are some really nice opportunities to jump start or get some base modules made.

Just watch out for a man with a machine gun.

Ohhhh that makes sense, for some reason I thought it was a mall, weird.

I'm in a pretty good place gear-wise, though I'm hoping there's a better bolt-action (or I guess semi-auto but I prefer big damage in a single hit) sniper rifle than the VS, which feels like it's such an early pickup and I haven't seen a replacement at all.

I'm also using the Class 5 science armor the doctor sells, that costs 100k, which is conceptually neat until I realized it's Fragility means it can absorb like 2 hits so I'm probably gonna need to replace it and use it when I need to be basically immune to rads and anomalies

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

I wear the SEVA suit cause I'm a huge STALKER fan but yeah for actually gunfights it's not so great. It's fine for mutants imo cause if you're getting hit you probably hosed up and the high melee res will save your life more like than not. I am considering grabbing a higher tier Crimson armor or something for just dicking around in fire fights.

Crimson Corp has some good bolt action rifle choices, though I'm planning on grabbing a SKOP and making that my assault rifle DMR of choice to go with an SMG. I'll be honest though I really feel like I'm running up against the content currently in the game, though there are two NPCs in the bunker that apparently only let you interact with them after certain criteria are met? Might need to hit Rep 5 first.

There's also a whole rear end map not even implemented in yet.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Evil Kit posted:

the ones that look similar to green army but are grey/brown and have the funky helmets are Hunters. They're also generally have better weapons and their armor is better than bandit armor.

Sure, but if they shoot at me then they're a bandit as far as I am concerned. Hey buddy we're all just trying to get by here.

I've been doing pretty well in the game but man the Sawmill level has me crying "my kingdom for grenades". Getting into the main sawmill area is a nightmare because of the sheer volume of enemies in such a small area. i've resorted to just walking in the door, magdumping my AR, and ducking back out again to reload.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I use a SCOP as my sniper. With Sniper, Stealth, Modder and M61 rounds it does plenty of damage.

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

Flagstaff, Arizona
One of my favorite dumb little situations in ZS is that infestations clearly spawn ghouls at a set amount based on how much damage it's taken. So when I unload a bunch of sniper rounds into it I know that after 5 or 6 shots I absolutely no question right now need to swap to my F90 because like a dozen ghouls are all going to spawn at once and rush me before I can actually finish the thing off.

The mall loving rules, by the way. I love the Stealth specialization.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

I would love more places where there are just swarms of mutants and no easy way to door dodge. There's a building in the Industrial Zone that is just full of Blinks. Absolutely stuffed with them, it's loving terrifying. Blinks are honestly the scariest mutant by far, and all they do is zig zag as they quietly charge you with the only sound warning being their rapid footsteps.

Also it's me, I'm the Loot Goblin specialist chooser.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Just bought ZS and it's pretty cool! I'd kill for a drat auto-sort though.

Edit: Also, co-op would be sweet. I see it's not really the plan though unfortunately.

explosivo fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Dec 30, 2022

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

What's the deal with resin in Vintage Story? Is there some good way to find it other than just marking nearby leaky pines on your map to gather every seven days?

I'm spending half my in game time looking intently at random trees.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

esquilax posted:

What's the deal with resin in Vintage Story? Is there some good way to find it other than just marking nearby leaky pines on your map to gather every seven days?

That is the deal with resin :(

Sorry, it's just awful for no good reason. There's a console command to spawn specific items that I usually use to cheat in resin but I can never remember the exact command.

The "good" news is that it respawns fairly fast so once you find a few places and make a circuit of it, you can get enough without too much trouble.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

esquilax posted:

Other than pine (or acacia) trees which are naturally generated, I've seen it show up on occasion at commodity traders. It's not listed in the wiki, and I do a fairly unmodded game.

In general, it is one of the pains to gather. It can be obscured by pine leaves as well, so I generally am very careful when clearing pine trees that I don't inadvertently take down a resin tree. Luckily, as long as the leaking log stays intact, it'll keep producing it, meaning you can strip the trees of leaves and have no negative effects. Each tree also can have multiple resin on it. I've found a few pine trees with 2 leaking logs.

Generally, once I find a pine forest (seems to be more often in the dry areas of pine forest too) with some resin, each time I come back I will find new ones I didn't find originally.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

esquilax posted:

TBH I really recommend the expanded foods mod. not only does it add a lot of cool depth to cooking, it adds the ability to tap trees for resin/syrup

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015
There was also another mod that included a feature to score pine trees with a knife to create new resin generating spots, so you could just plant some trees, score every trunk within easy reach, then collect every few days. Can't remember which one it was tho.

+1 on recommending expanded foods though.

Soapy_Bumslap
Jun 19, 2013

We're gonna need a bigger chode
Grimey Drawer

Evil Kit posted:

The number of times I've gotten too greedy after finding a rarer item for a quest or just a bunch of really good loot and dying with them is not small lol.

Hell sometimes I don't even get greedy, i immediately book to an extraction point after getting something and just blindly stumble into a group of bandits

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Soapy_Bumslap posted:

Hell sometimes I don't even get greedy, i immediately book to an extraction point after getting something and just blindly stumble into a group of bandits

Let me tell you about the time I rounded a corner and some Green Army dudes standing there triggered my "so I started blasting" reflex on my way back from an incredibly lucrative run.

They blasted back and won.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Soapy_Bumslap posted:

"I'm close to extract I'll just run I don't need to be conservative with my stamina OH GOD BOARS AND WOLVES AAAHHH"

Soapy_Bumslap
Jun 19, 2013

We're gonna need a bigger chode
Grimey Drawer

Arrath posted:

"I'm close to extract I'll just run I don't need to be conservative with my stamina OH GOD BOARS AND WOLVES AAAHHH"

Apparently the community consensus is that starting with the mosin package is best, but I really think that's only once you've understood some basics. Every video I've seen of someone starting out like that just gets constantly owned by wolves. I chose the assault rifle start and wolves were almost never an issue

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

I started with the BBSH load out and tbh aside from trying something new I'd probably do it again? It's not hard to grab another gun off a dead body, and is ideal for dealing with mutants and animals early on which is what you'll be doing a bunch anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017
Man I really loved the ZS demo gameplay, vibe and overall design. I'm also usually pretty forgiving with graphics if the game is good (PZ might be my top played game on steam?) but the character design in the game is just so bad that it reminds me too much of like those mid 2000's flash shooter games on Newgrounds.

Like, even some basic 6 bit character would be fine, but the whole two circles and a floating gun thing just really effects the immersive part of the audio, world design and action.

Hope some sort of character model revamp is on their roadmap.