Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Is Cruzan considered a decent rum? I've heard good things about their black strap but a friend got me a bottle of the Aged Dark that I haven't tried yet.

Tried it on its own and it's way to saccharine for me on its own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Is Cruzan considered a decent rum? I've heard good things about their black strap but a friend got me a bottle of the Aged Dark that I haven't tried yet.

The Blackstrap is the standard for the category- . The aged dark is perfectly fine but you could double blind me on it with Meyer’s and I might not be able to taste the difference.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
Welp finally got all the resources together to make a sazerac. I think my life has been changed just a little bit having enjoyed that.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Cruzan has 2 lines: The base line which is all very standard cheap rum, and the Diamond line which is generally very well made stuff.

Cruzan's blackstrap is the best in it's category, imo.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

piL posted:

If they have (or you bring) tequila, you're a syrup away from a silk stocking which is ny new favorite christmas drink.
I made this using casamigos tequila, liber and co grenadine, and dekyuper crème de cacao. Great drink.

Kenning posted:

Morgenthaler's Sangria

This recipe is even easier than the above. I'm copying it (with very minor variations) from Jeffrey Morgenthaler's wonderful website.

Ingredients

1 750 ml bottle of wine (I like a spicy Tempranillo or Zinfandel)
1 cup fresh-squeezed orange juice
2 tbsp white sugar
6 oz. orange liqueur (Gran Gala is fine)
1-2 tsp Angostura bitters

Basically, just combine everything into a pitcher and stir. I like to keep it in a couple of swing-top bottles and pour it into glasses filled with ice, although it would also work in a pitcher filled with ice. Morgenthaler encourages us to use this as a base for experimentation, but it's such a good recipe that I've made it as-is for years and everyone loves it.

This was a big hit at dinner, thanks for the recipe. My mother in law said she lost her sangria recipe and wants this one so I shared it too.

Other drinks were a great hit too. Brandy Alexanders, Cranberry Moscow Mules, Old Fashioneds and Sazeracs. Still have bottles of Chandon for French 75s that didn’t get made, so probably having mimosas for Christmas morning.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

I made this using casamigos tequila, liber and co grenadine, and dekyuper crème de cacao. Great drink.

This was a big hit at dinner, thanks for the recipe. My mother in law said she lost her sangria recipe and wants this one so I shared it too.

Other drinks were a great hit too. Brandy Alexanders, Cranberry Moscow Mules, Old Fashioneds and Sazeracs. Still have bottles of Chandon for French 75s that didn’t get made, so probably having mimosas for Christmas morning.

Hell yeah, glad it went over well! It's a simple recipe, but it's always a hit.

I made a clarified milk punch for Christmas, following the protocol for Pear Pudding Punch, but used a different recipe to make a Strawberry Banana Creme Punch:

2 750 ml bottles Ventura Spirits strawberry brandy
1 750 ml bottle VS cognac
1 750 ml bottle Giffard Banane de Brasil banana liqueuer (holy poo poo this stuff is good)
12 oz lemon juice
10 oz brown sugar
2 qt. water
5 cups rich whole milk (I used some real fancy local stuff, 6% milk fat)
1 nutmeg (grated

Peel lemons, juice, mix juice with sugar. Express peels into sugar, add strawberry brandy, cognac, and banana liqueur, then grate in nutmeg. Add water, then heat to slightly warm on the stove, then add milk. Stir, and continue to heat on low for a few minutes, then let cool. Strain (very laboriously) to remove the milk solids. The technique from Fart Car '97 ended up working well, but I realistically should have had a much larger/finer strainer, and more containers. I'm planning on ordering a chinois to use for future punches to hopefully make it easier. You can also use cheese cloth or a flour sack. Once strained, bottle and chill.

This was awesome, and was a beautiful strawberry-banana flavor, supported by the richness of the milk. It also came out to like 19% ABV and completely wrecked everyone on Christmas Eve. Classic punch. Check out the strawberry brandy if you can find it (at least some Total Wines have it), it's a marvelous spirit.

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever
Simple tweaks to basic recipes can be so ridiculously good. I made a daiquiri on Xmas eve using Bacardi silver fat washed in coconut rum and rich Demerara syrup. The result delicious but I ran out and could really sling them.

On a different note, are there any goon cocktail recipe files? I kinda wish we had one so it would be easy to browse what’s been posted in this thread.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Grabbed a bottle of Rittenhouse Rye 100 and it's...fine? Out of the 4 rye whiskeys I've tried to date, it's probably my least-favorite (ranking would probably be High West Double Rye > Redemption Rye > Old Overholt > Rittenhouse

I dunno, it was a first impression, but it didn't wow me.

OTOH I also grabbed a bottle of Old Forester 100 and it's absolutely delicious.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
If you’re a big rye fan, I could see not liking Rittenhouse much as it has a rather low rye mashbill. That also probably factors into its popularity.

I love Rittenhouse and it’s my go-to for whiskey at that pricepoint. Conversely, I just polished off my first bottle of Old Forester 100 and I would also describe it as “fine.”

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Rittenhouse seems fine for rye cocktails, noticeably different than bourbon. I would like to try something better though, I hear Alberta Premium is the poo poo but it's not sold anywhere I can reasonably get to.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

Rittenhouse seems fine for rye cocktails, noticeably different than bourbon. I would like to try something better though, I hear Alberta Premium is the poo poo but it's not sold anywhere I can reasonably get to.

There’s always Pikesville, which is the older, higher proof version of Rittenhouse.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
My bar used to use Old Forester Rye (which is 100 proof) for cocktails until it became unavailable around here. Try it if you find it, it's good. I switched us over to Whistlepig PiggyBack rye (6 years old, 100% rye, 96 proof) for cocktails since I get a good deal from my distributor and it's been fantastic, I'd recommend it but it can be a bit pricey for a cocktail whiskey in some places.

Old Overholt 100 is pretty good but distractingly peanut-y.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Grand Fromage posted:

Being in Canada, this always makes me laugh. It is the rye I keep in the liquor cabinet, but I don't have much to compare it to, and it's so cheap it comes in plastic bottles.

Booties posted:

On a different note, are there any goon cocktail recipe files? I kinda wish we had one so it would be easy to browse what’s been posted in this thread.

I would be very into this. I've definitely seen things in this thread, and then wanted to go back to them months/years later, and kicked myself for not writing them down.

Someone should start a Google doc or something.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
Is there a good like, bitters or something I can use to substitute expressing a lemon twist in a cocktail? I don’t have lemons on hand a lot of the time and even when I do it seems like a waste to peel one just for one or two cocktails if they don’t actually have lemon juice in them. Is there an oil I can put in an atomizer or a bitters I can use a drop or three of for the same effect?

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

my kinda ape posted:

Is there an oil I can put in an atomizer for the same effect?
Lemon oil is easy to find and could be atomized. I’ve been thinking about doing that with orange oil I’m just not sure the effect it would have on the plastic parts of the atomizer over long periods of time. Anyone have a nice one they recommend?

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
Walk around your neighborhood and find a lemon tree

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

prayer group posted:

My bar used to use Old Forester Rye (which is 100 proof) for cocktails until it became unavailable around here. Try it if you find it, it's good. I switched us over to Whistlepig PiggyBack rye (6 years old, 100% rye, 96 proof) for cocktails since I get a good deal from my distributor and it's been fantastic, I'd recommend it but it can be a bit pricey for a cocktail whiskey in some places.

Old Overholt 100 is pretty good but distractingly peanut-y.

Can vouch, old foresters' 100 proofs are great whiskey at their price point

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

my kinda ape posted:

Is there a good like, bitters or something I can use to substitute expressing a lemon twist in a cocktail? I don’t have lemons on hand a lot of the time and even when I do it seems like a waste to peel one just for one or two cocktails if they don’t actually have lemon juice in them. Is there an oil I can put in an atomizer or a bitters I can use a drop or three of for the same effect?

I bought this for myself while I was Christmas shopping. It was great on a sazerac, but the bottle they sent me expires in about two weeks. It's also salty, so you have to be prepared for that

https://store.177milkstreet.com/products/salz-salted-lemon-spray

Cobra Commander
Jan 18, 2011

Hello people, I’m planning my first trip to nyc and I’m really interested in trying some bars in nyc. Are there any must go to spots, or any standout locations that y’all can recommend?

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004

Cobra Commander posted:

Hello people, I’m planning my first trip to nyc and I’m really interested in trying some bars in nyc. Are there any must go to spots, or any standout locations that y’all can recommend?

What do you like to drink, and how fancy do you want to get? NYC has dozens of good bars.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

The Maestro posted:

Walk around your neighborhood and find a lemon tree

Aldi has cheap bags of lemons that last a couple of weeks.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

my kinda ape posted:

Just get a few lemons every other week. They keep in the fridge fine for a few weeks. Juice or peel as needed, replace when they get splotchy or dry out. When I peel one, I tend to keep it in an airtight bag to preserve it better.

Same with oranges and limes. I always have 2-3 on hand, and more if I know I'll be mixing specific drinks that need more (multiple margaritas or daiquiris etc). Not worth going down a different road imo.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I'm at "always has lemons and limes on-hand as well as a bottle of fresh-squeezed juice of both" level but not quite "oranges on hand at all times" which is weird because I make a lot of drinks that ask for an orange slice/peel garnish.

I'm starting to fall into the Tiki hole too and it's only a matter of time before I'm making 3x-weekly trips to the store for pineapples and poo poo

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Get into the orange level. In my experience oranges last a LOT longer in the fridge than lemons and limes. I have a couple in there I've had for like two months and they still look fine. Limes would be the apocalypse after that long.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Grand Fromage posted:

Get into the orange level. In my experience oranges last a LOT longer in the fridge than lemons and limes. I have a couple in there I've had for like two months and they still look fine. Limes would be the apocalypse after that long.

I make sure to use a fresh-ish unpeeled orange for juice, no older than a couple weeks or you really don't get much quality juice. Especially important for like a Harvey Wallbanger, a garbage cocktail made with carton OJ and solid with freshly squeezed.

But an orange I'm just using for peels can last for a month pretty easily, no difference in quality. I just like to get em in an airtight bag when they're not in use to resist drying out.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

If you’re going the tropical route, I can’t recommend making a batch of super lime strongly enough. Makes it easy breezy to sling together tropical drinks.

Cobra Commander
Jan 18, 2011

Scythe posted:

What do you like to drink, and how fancy do you want to get? NYC has dozens of good bars.

I like a super wide variety of cocktails. The only things I don’t particularly care for are rhum agricole and spice in my drinks. I enjoy whiskey based cocktails as well as gin mostly. Classics are great and I like to try all types of stuff that looks interesting.

I would like to find bars that are just under the need for a suit dress code. I’d rather not spend $30 per drink, trying to get drunk and try fun things.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

comedy option

(it's long-gone sadly/thankfully depending on who/when you ask)

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Dec 29, 2022

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Lol what the christ

I am colorblind so I kind of have to rely on the ABV% on the label in order to be sure I'm getting green instead of yellow, and/or rely on a roommate's superior rods and/or cones when grabbing a bottle off the shelf.

So when he was out looking for a new bottle of green today, he saw this, the last bottle of Chartreuse of any kind in the store (or any store we'd seen locally recently), verified by the shelf label that it was "Green Chartreuse", and brought it home. Now that we are looking at it we notice that it's got the yellow label (which I had earlier been laughing about as to the fact that the only differentiating factor in the entire label is the 43% alcohol content, and the fact that it's yellow which I can barely even distinguish).

But the contents clearly seem to be green.

What the hell is going on in that monastery

e: wait it's 40%, not even 43. :psyduck:

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Dec 29, 2022

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Cobra Commander posted:

I like a super wide variety of cocktails. The only things I don’t particularly care for are rhum agricole and spice in my drinks. I enjoy whiskey based cocktails as well as gin mostly. Classics are great and I like to try all types of stuff that looks interesting.

I would like to find bars that are just under the need for a suit dress code. I’d rather not spend $30 per drink, trying to get drunk and try fun things.
I’d make a point to try Katana Kitten and Double Chicken Please due to their unique approach. There’s a ton of quality more traditional places, and if you can snag a seat at Attaboy you certainly should, but those two are almost guaranteed to give you something you won’t find anywhere else.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Data Graham posted:

Lol what the christ

I am colorblind so I kind of have to rely on the ABV% on the label in order to be sure I'm getting green instead of yellow, and/or rely on a roommate's superior rods and/or cones when grabbing a bottle off the shelf.

So when he was out looking for a new bottle of green today, he saw this, the last bottle of Chartreuse of any kind in the store (or any store we'd seen locally recently), verified by the shelf label that it was "Green Chartreuse", and brought it home. Now that we are looking at it we notice that it's got the yellow label (which I had earlier been laughing about as to the fact that the only differentiating factor in the entire label is the 43% alcohol content, and the fact that it's yellow which I can barely even distinguish).

But the contents clearly seem to be green.

What the hell is going on in that monastery

e: wait it's 40%, not even 43. :psyduck:

Neither yellow, nor green, but a third secret thing.

Doing a little searching and there seems to be two bottlings of Yellow Chartreuse, with 40 and 43% ABV respectively but almost no one seems to acknowledge this fact. If you search for yellow chartreuse everything written about it will state that it's one or the other, with one article saying that it's 40 now but was 43 until the 1970s. I bought a new bottle in early 2021 that's 43%, I just checked it.

I did find one brief reddit conversation where someone said they noticed the two different ABVs and asked if anyone knew more but they didn't get a good answer.

https://spiritsandcocktails.community/t/yellow-chartreuse-returned-to-original-proof/112/9

Convo on a forum where someone says the ABV returned to the original 43% in ~2019. So either you found an old bottle that was made before 2019 or they changed it back to 43% for a few years and then recently reverted back to 40%?

my kinda ape fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Dec 29, 2022

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Nationalize Chartreuse

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

And if that's true, why does it appear to be green? Or is that just me and my weird eyes?

I haven't popped it yet to do a taste comparison, and I don't have much left in the "real" 55% green bottle ...

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Data Graham posted:

And if that's true, why does it appear to be green? Or is that just me and my weird eyes?

I haven't popped it yet to do a taste comparison, and I don't have much left in the "real" 55% green bottle ...

The contents of my 43% yellow bottle look like the contents of yours, and yeah the 40% one does look closer to the contents of my green bottle. Only thing I can think of is the 43% bottling has a lot stronger coloring for whatever reason, or possibly the color in the 40% bottle faded from sitting in direct sunlight for too long or something.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
43% has more monk piss in it.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004

tonedef131 posted:

I’d make a point to try Katana Kitten and Double Chicken Please due to their unique approach. There’s a ton of quality more traditional places, and if you can snag a seat at Attaboy you certainly should, but those two are almost guaranteed to give you something you won’t find anywhere else.

These are good. (Attaboy is in the former Milk & Honey space, owned and run by their old bartenders, if that means anything to you.)

If you’re into bitter dinks, Amor Y Amargo will certainly have several interesting things you haven’t tried before. Martiny’s will give you a very authentic oldschool Tokyo experience without a flight to Japan. Bar Goto is good for new school Japanese (and good bar snacks). Sunken Harbor Club for tiki, if you don’t mind going to Brooklyn (though there’s not a lot else in Downtown BK, which is where it is). (Though Long Island Bar is somewhat nearby and is the platonic ideal of a neighborhood joint if you’re in the mood for like, a burger, and a great drink.)

There is a ton more. If you want “interesting drinks” beyond the above, any NYC cocktail bar that put out a book in the last couple decades and is still open is largely gonna be solid, and since the cocktail renaissance if you go to a nice hotel bar or a nice restaurant bar they’ll probably be able to do good versions of the classic drinks too.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

Cobra Commander posted:

Check out PDT, Amor y Amargo and Double Chicken Please for sure. Death & Co. is around the corner from the first two and is historically noteworthy, but I honestly wasn’t blown away when I visited in August.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Try Tiki Chick on the Upper West Side too.

Cobra Commander
Jan 18, 2011

Goons always come through with the goods. Thank you all very much for the suggestions. I’m going to try and plan to try all kinds of stuff. I’m super open to trying cocktails of all sorts of varieties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Today I made two Tiramisu

1 oz Hennessy VS Cognac
1/2 oz Kahula
1/2 oz Tempus Fugit Creme de Cacao
1 oz half-and half
1/2 egg yolk
Left off the mascarpone, because I didn't have any

I doubled the quantities to make two because I separated a single egg (will make a whiskey sour with the whites later), and garnished with a grated Andes mint. Excellent dessert drink along the lines of a Brandy Alexander.

JUST MAKING CHILI fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Dec 31, 2022