Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I've finished the 2nd course in Sports Story. If it is like the 1st game in number of courses it will be a fairly long game. 20+ hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Palmtree Panic posted:

If you're looking for 2D Kirby, just wait until February for the Return to Dreamland port.

Actually yeah that's great advice. if you want a 4 player co-op experience in a Kirby game, wait for that one. That game comes with it as well, just with actual level design. You just can't play as the helpers, but you can play as Kirbies or Meta Knight, Bandana Dee, and King Dedede.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

just played 'what remains of edith finch?' tonight.

what a grim game!

wish the end hadn't been so abrupt. excellent otherwise.

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
ALL ABOARD THE ISS POLOKONZERVA

abelwingnut posted:

just played 'what remains of edith finch?' tonight.

what a grim game!

wish the end hadn't been so abrupt. excellent otherwise.

I fear they might have had a budget collapse in the second half. They went from awesome dreamlike sequences to rearranging words on the screen to "here's an ending btw".

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
I just started it last night. I think half way through but really enjoying it so far.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Tafferling posted:

I fear they might have had a budget collapse in the second half. They went from awesome dreamlike sequences to rearranging words on the screen to "here's an ending btw".

that makes sense. 10min before the end you’re in lewis’s story and it’s so well done and engaging. then the end just…happens. it’s narratively very off, and given how great their narration was up until that point, something external had to force them to end it as such.

oh well. very interested in anything else that team did/does.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

abelwingnut posted:

oh well. very interested in anything else that team did/does.
They are currently working on Witchfire, a "roguelite for people who hate roguelites" dark fantasy FPS. Which is a slight genre shift until you remember there's Painkiller alumni on the team.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2tj1CdE9sw

I believe the plan is to put into Early Access on PC via Epic Game Store early next year, with a full release on other stores and consoles quite a while later (it's a very small team!) Dunno whether the Switch is on the list, but I guess it's not completely out of the question?

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

The Unbearable Whiteness of Eating
I got the OLED console - checking out tales of vesperia for the first time
Any tips?

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

The Kins posted:

They are currently working on Witchfire, a "roguelite for people who hate roguelites" dark fantasy FPS. Which is a slight genre shift until you remember there's Painkiller alumni on the team.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2tj1CdE9sw

I believe the plan is to put into Early Access on PC via Epic Game Store early next year, with a full release on other stores and consoles quite a while later (it's a very small team!) Dunno whether the Switch is on the list, but I guess it's not completely out of the question?

This looks awesome, shame about the Epic store thing.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

A Concrete Divider posted:

I got the OLED console - checking out tales of vesperia for the first time
Any tips?

delete it and play crimzon clover instead

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time

beer gas canister posted:

:yeah:

Rugikiki
Jan 15, 2008

Illinois Nazis.
I hate Illinois Nazis!

I’m probably late but I just bought Bastion for three dollars and can heartily recommend it at as much as three times that price!

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Not an emptyquote!

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

has anyone played Yoshi's Crafted World? my partner and i are currently working through New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe together (we like that we can play at the same time) and are thinking of Yoshi next. $60 bucks tho, woof.... are there any other mario-like side scrollers where 2 people can play at the same time (other than TMNT)

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Bjorn you glad I didn't say banana?
Kirby Star Allies is a good one, but suffers from the same pricing scheme.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

how does crimzon clover compare to ikaruga or raiden?

e: also, just started super mario galaxy for the first time. holy hell, this rules. i still think i like 3d world more at this point, but i could see this one getting super, super good with the level designs. that said, something's off with the controls a bit. like 50% of the time when i approach a sign it doesn't give me the option to read it immediately. have to keep reorienting mario for like 5s before it does. not sure what that's about, especially when i'm directly facing the sign.

otherwise, pretty fantastic!

abelwingnut fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Dec 28, 2022

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

abelwingnut posted:

Crimzon Clover is a bullet hell like the games from cave. Absolutely way more fun than Ikaruga.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
if you like the idea of playing as characters other than kirby, star allies is incredible, top tier in the series

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S

Rugikiki posted:

I’m probably late but I just bought Bastion for three dollars and can heartily recommend it at as much as three times that price!

i beat bastion years ago on pc but bought it a few months ago for switch cause it was on sale and i want to replay it again because the soundtrack and narration are loving awesome, gameplay is decent too

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

abelwingnut posted:

way more fun and less particular than ikaruga. it takes its lock on mechanic from raiden (i think) but virtually nothing else. it's sort of like a Cave bullet hell (the creator is a top tier superplayer) but very much its own game, and a brilliant one at that. text descriptions don't do the gameplay any justice, i'll just say anyone that likes fast paced action stuff will absolutely love it. every aspect of the mechanic and level design is deeply refined. World Explosion is the 3rd iteration of CC, so by now it runs like a ferrari. i think it's a masterpiece on par with something like Binding of Isaac

novice mode is not totally ball busting. i'm terrible at arcade games, but managed a 1 credit clear in novice mode after about 18 hours. i played at least 50 shmups that were new to me in 2020, half of them on Switch, and Crimzon Clover was the best

beer gas canister fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Dec 28, 2022

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Kirby and Yoshi go on sale fairly often (to "only" $40) if you're patient.

Untitled Goose Game is another fun yet short coop experience. My wife is very comfortable to play backup during coop, and the lack of a fail state in Goose Game made her a lot more comfortable with just messing around.

Edit: ugh, you said side-scroller. Apologies.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

has anyone played Yoshi's Crafted World? my partner and i are currently working through New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe together (we like that we can play at the same time) and are thinking of Yoshi next. $60 bucks tho, woof.... are there any other mario-like side scrollers where 2 people can play at the same time (other than TMNT)

It's not a strict side scroller but it's definitely not 3D open world but Mario 3D World is a delight and I imagine has a very generous multiplayer style to it. Also not cheap.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Thinking of investing in the most decadent of gaming experiences and getting a goose-necked tablet holder for my OLED to attach onto my headboard so I can just lie down and play. Anyone try this and if so which holder has worked best for you all?

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Thinking of investing in the most decadent of gaming experiences and getting a goose-necked tablet holder for my OLED to attach onto my headboard so I can just lie down and play. Anyone try this and if so which holder has worked best for you all?

This one has worked quite well for me: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01AUQ33LG/ I think it was a recommendation from in this thread, even?

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

I have one that free stands on the floor, but I can swing over the bed to watch laying down. That might provide more versatility than one you need to clamp to a support.

It was just whatever tablet stand holder thing I found on Amazon. It has a heavy plat foot for stability.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

First one isn’t shipping to France but I’ll look for something similar. Apartment space is limited so I fear a free standing one will take up too much space unfortunately.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

way more fun and less particular than ikaruga. it takes its lock on mechanic from raiden (i think) but virtually nothing else. it's sort of like a Cave bullet hell (the creator is a top tier superplayer) but very much its own game, and a brilliant one at that. text descriptions don't do the gameplay any justice, i'll just say anyone that likes fast paced action stuff will absolutely love it. every aspect of the mechanic and level design is deeply refined. World Explosion is the 3rd iteration of CC, so by now it runs like a ferrari. i think it's a masterpiece on par with something like Binding of Isaac

novice mode is not totally ball busting. i'm terrible at arcade games, but managed a 1 credit clear in novice mode after about 18 hours. i played at least 50 shmups that were new to me in 2020, half of them on Switch, and Crimzon Clover was the best

right on. i'll give it a whirl. i tried ikaragu and it felt too...technical for an arcade game of the sort. raiden had always been fun on other systems, so i figured it was still good.

last i heard, danmaku unlimited was a blast. but now that i'm reading about crimzon it seems to be a favorite all across the internet. i'll have to give it a try.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop
Danmaku Unlimited 3 is also very good and well worth it at 5 bucks

here's a big Deku Deals list of EN shmups

tensai
May 8, 2007

Just trying to keep my boyfriend away from that redheaded harlot.
I realize I'm months behind, but why didn't any one tell me the new Mario rabbids is even better than the first? Are there any gotchas I should know or do I just use the games generously forgiving nature to experiment?

Spellman
May 31, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLH3GLh4Zbk

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I think I am getting close to the end of chapter 3 of Sports Story. I think the makers didn't realize what made golf story good: it was a fun golf game that had some story elements that led into the golf. They doubled down on story but golf took a big backseat in the new game. The first golf "match" isn't even complete. The second is just you playing with yourself (heh.) And I dunno what the 3rd will be but it's been a while since the last match. I'm about 8 hours in with maybe 30 mins of golf so far.

And it still hasn't been patched.

Professor Latency
Mar 30, 2011

I'll also give a rec to Crimzon Clover. Novice mode is tuned very well for noobs and it has been the gateway for me to actually get into shmups. Going into double break mode is one of the coolest power ups I've seen in any game.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
So I decided I get a few games from the sale. I picked up Phantom Doctrine, Darkest Dungeon Delux, Fell Seal: Arbiters Mark, Spelunky, and Wilmots Warehouse. I based my decision on the "hours played" statistic on deku deals, with all of these games having absurd 100+ hour potential :v:

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

tensai posted:

I realize I'm months behind, but why didn't any one tell me the new Mario rabbids is even better than the first? Are there any gotchas I should know or do I just use the games generously forgiving nature to experiment?

No gotchas I would say; even at the hardest setting... well, you'll have to think a little bit, but it's still quite easy overall. I'd say choose your limitations; I never use overworld heals, and I don't use items unless I've been at a level for a while and don't want to risk failing when I'm a turn away from victory.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Danmaku Unlimited 3 is also very good and well worth it at 5 bucks

here's a big Deku Deals list of EN shmups

thanks.

good god, there are a ton!

also, bravely default. 3ds still the only way to play it outside of an emulator? kind of surprising they never rereleased it given the release of bd2 earlier this year.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

neato burrito posted:

Got an hour's worth of 8 player Smash with nephews/nieces/brother in laws today. Never played with that many, it was loving awesome fun even though only a couple of us were competent at it.

8 player Smash owns.

korora
Sep 3, 2011

The Kins posted:

That's the team that made The Vanishing of Ethan Carter, not What Remains of Edith Finch. The Edith Finch team is making a game about "interactions between humans and urban wildlife".

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

tensai posted:

It’s pretty great! You can join us in this thread if you have questions or whatever:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4015717

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Anyone ever play XIII in the past or in the new version of it? I could be down for that sort of FPS. It seems Goldeneye-ish, and even has multiplayer!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Waltzing Along posted:

I think I am getting close to the end of chapter 3 of Sports Story. I think the makers didn't realize what made golf story good: it was a fun golf game that had some story elements that led into the golf. They doubled down on story but golf took a big backseat in the new game. The first golf "match" isn't even complete. The second is just you playing with yourself (heh.) And I dunno what the 3rd will be but it's been a while since the last match. I'm about 8 hours in with maybe 30 mins of golf so far.

And it still hasn't been patched.

Yeah this is the vibe I got from the few hours I played - and I didn't even get to the first full round of golf before getting stuck on how to progress the story mission. It was worrying when I noticed the first two areas you explore (the beach and mall) aren't even golf courses, and then when you DO get to a golf course, the explorable area doesn't have a mini course in the practice area, which was one of my favorite aspects of the first game (especially the guy who set up remixed versions of them).

That and the one non-golf sport I played (the quick volleyball match before you leave the beach) was total rear end - controlled like poo poo with no tutorial at all, didn't even last a full game or give you any time to learn how to play, and happened for no reason at all. Didn't make me very excited for the rest of the sports.