Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Odysseus S. Grant posted:

You can always support the vassal empire's independence, it'll automatically let you join any war they declare for freedom, and lets them count your fleets in for any calculations on whether or not they will go to war or not.

Also what do you mean by "the relations hurting one"? If it's just the "harming our relations" modifier, they aren't engaging in espionage for that, just sending an envoy to do it
Oh, right. I had forgotten that one. Thank you. :)

No I keep getting events on how relations between me and another empire has suddenly dropped by a lot and how they suspect foul play. I've seen it before and asked and got the response that it was a spy network thing.

Poil fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Dec 22, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Odysseus S. Grant
Oct 12, 2011

Cats is the oldest and strongest emotion
of mankind
As for spy stuff: none of the core stuff locked behind nemesis iirc, the other missions just require higher infiltration levels to perform, which means teching/gathering info to boost max infiltration, and waiting for the number to tick up. e2: turns out I'm just straight up wrong about this

e: and as for getting specific techs, having a scientist with the correct skill gives you a greater chance of rolling techs of that category. And some tech also have some unexpected prereqs that can be worth checking for.

Odysseus S. Grant fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Dec 23, 2022

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

But I've only seen the basic gather information one regardless of my infiltration level, 0 or 100. The list is otherwise empty, not even grayed out stuff.

It's of course possible I'm just missing something and/or being stupid, again, but I'm pretty certain.

Poil fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Dec 22, 2022

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
All of the operations bar gather information are locked behind the nemesis DLC.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

As for spy stuff: none of the core stuff locked behind nemesis iirc, the other missions just require higher infiltration levels to perform, which means teching/gathering info to boost max infiltration, and waiting for the number to tick up.

e: and as for getting specific techs, having a scientist with the correct skill gives you a greater chance of rolling techs of that category. And some tech also have some unexpected prereqs that can be worth checking for.
You can boost infiltration level by acquiring assets (each one is max +5)

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Primitives on a habitat. Huh.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I'm guessing a smaller scale version of what the fallen empire who preserves old species from extinction does.

True but in a recent previous game I spent 15k unity trying to get a manic scientist so I could increase my chances to get psionic theory. I know you can hire a psychic rat scientist but that is also 100% random if you're offered it. If the caravans can reach you that is (pathing into marauders over and over for example) or if they spawned next to a genocidal empire and got eaten early.

This must be the only game I know where you have to look up on the wiki to find out the prerequisites for technology because the game refuses to tell you the tech tree at all and you sometimes need to do it to even know what type of scientist you need on top of that. Sure sometimes it's easy, like voidcraft specialization for spaceships but it's not always obvious, at least not to me.

I apologize for complaining so much.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Poil posted:

I'm guessing a smaller scale version of what the fallen empire who preserves old species from extinction does.

True but in a recent previous game I spent 15k unity trying to get a manic scientist so I could increase my chances to get psionic theory. I know you can hire a psychic rat scientist but that is also 100% random if you're offered it. If the caravans can reach you that is (pathing into marauders over and over for example) or if they spawned next to a genocidal empire and got eaten early.

This must be the only game I know where you have to look up on the wiki to find out the prerequisites for technology because the game refuses to tell you the tech tree at all and you sometimes need to do it to even know what type of scientist you need on top of that. Sure sometimes it's easy, like voidcraft specialization for spaceships but it's not always obvious, at least not to me.

I apologize for complaining so much.
Why would we complain at you for speaking the truth? The research system is hot garbage and like 75% of the game's problems are spawned by or exacerbated by it.

Angrymantium
Jul 19, 2007
Resistant to everything
I've been playing for a few months now and somehow only just opened an L Gate and journeyed to terminal egress for the first time today. Feels like a huge part of the game I've been missing, because up until now I just disabled L Gates and wormholes at launch.

I uh...did not expect to have to fight six 85k fleets before 2300. Had I not lucked out on finding and restoring an abandoned Dyson Sphere there's no way I would have been able to build a fleet big enough to fight that.

This is an all crisis game of course, so with that early Dyson Sphere powering my cybernetic necrophage ant hill, I've got some time to eat the fallen empires before I get slammed from every direction.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Splicer posted:

Why would we complain at you for speaking the truth? The research system is hot garbage and like 75% of the game's problems are spawned by or exacerbated by it.

Sometimes these complains are just baffling. For me, the research system is a major draw and I would be unhappy if it got changed. Though I'd have nothing against adding to the pre-requisite system as it is used kind of incoherent right now: You can get techs before other techs you'd think should be prereqs, but aren't and of course it would be nice if all prereqs are not only clearly marked as such, but also give you a hint as to what exaxtly they're a prereq for, as we all know the old problem of dev thoughts and player thoughts not aligning.

It's kind of frustrating that this research system is just a couple small steps away from being perfect. :mad:

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

Libluini posted:

Sometimes these complains are just baffling. For me, the research system is a major draw and I would be unhappy if it got changed. Though I'd have nothing against adding to the pre-requisite system as it is used kind of incoherent right now: You can get techs before other techs you'd think should be prereqs, but aren't and of course it would be nice if all prereqs are not only clearly marked as such, but also give you a hint as to what exaxtly they're a prereq for, as we all know the old problem of dev thoughts and player thoughts not aligning.

It's kind of frustrating that this research system is just a couple small steps away from being perfect. :mad:

I'm ambivalent on the research system but the cards not telling you what they're pre-reqs for is an actual crime. The spy technology is, afaik, hidden behind crappy +30 edict tech cards which is loving stupid and nobody will figure that out without foreknowledge.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Yami Fenrir posted:

I'm ambivalent on the research system but the cards not telling you what they're pre-reqs for is an actual crime. The spy technology is, afaik, hidden behind crappy +30 edict tech cards which is loving stupid and nobody will figure that out without foreknowledge.
Wait, what? :catstare:

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Get the Dynamic UI overhaul mod (top of the most popular on the workshop) and you get a fancy tech tree button that lets you see what is required for techs. I thought it was vanilla, but turned out it was a mod.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Poil posted:

Wait, what? :catstare:

i checked and its the unity building upgrade tech, which itself is hidden behind the +20 edict fund and nothing else tech.

Still pretty ehhh tho.

Odysseus S. Grant
Oct 12, 2011

Cats is the oldest and strongest emotion
of mankind
The little unlock tooltips, vague as they are, didn't even use to be in the game, right?

I do actually enjoy the tech system in theory, to prevent every game from just being the same order of research every time, I do kinda wish some techs had a greater chance of showing up if you keep missing the roll for them, so you're not stuck researching cheap trash you don't need and avoiding things that widen the pool. Maybe a special project to unlock an option of your choice?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

There are special conditions that raise the chance of getting techs like Megaconstruction or Psychic Theory but you need to loving dive into the game files to figure those out.
They aren't even on the wiki, afaik.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

This mod has been mandatory for me ever since I found it.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Jack Trades posted:

There are special conditions that raise the chance of getting techs like Megaconstruction or Psychic Theory but you need to loving dive into the game files to figure those out.
They aren't even on the wiki, afaik.
they're on the wiki, but you have to know where to look

specifically the thing next to the techweight number, that looks like a link

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

Dunno-Lars posted:

Get the Dynamic UI overhaul mod (top of the most popular on the workshop) and you get a fancy tech tree button that lets you see what is required for techs. I thought it was vanilla, but turned out it was a mod.

That's just an in game browser which acts kinda buggy. It's preferable to alt tab or use your phone to view it directly in a real browser: https://turanar.github.io/stellaris-tech-tree/

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin
I last played this game in like 2019. So much has changed, it's overwhelming. Just figured out how to do a hyper relay. Also, for some reason the AI is spreading like wildfire way earlier and faster than I can manage. I finally got a spawn where I had a lot of map walled off behind a FE, so I'm kind of turtling for the time being. I'm going to have to wake that motherfucker up at some point though.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Grandpa Palpatine posted:

I last played this game in like 2019. So much has changed, it's overwhelming. Just figured out how to do a hyper relay. Also, for some reason the AI is spreading like wildfire way earlier and faster than I can manage. I finally got a spawn where I had a lot of map walled off behind a FE, so I'm kind of turtling for the time being. I'm going to have to wake that motherfucker up at some point though.

They fixed most of the game since then and even made the AI not be anemic anymore.
It's great.

Senethro
May 18, 2005

I unironically think I'm Garret, Master Thief.
I'm also playing my first game in year or so and I'm somewhat puzzled by the planets I'm capping. Most are minimally developed with a couple of districts and buildings and its not clear how the AI is affording anything, then suddenly there are 2 with 20 industrial districts, orbital rings and research complexes.

So is the AI hyperspecializing a small number of planets at a time? Maybe to avoid the old constant construction replacement cycles I remember?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

They could be recently colonized?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Senethro posted:

I'm also playing my first game in year or so and I'm somewhat puzzled by the planets I'm capping. Most are minimally developed with a couple of districts and buildings and its not clear how the AI is affording anything, then suddenly there are 2 with 20 industrial districts, orbital rings and research complexes.

So is the AI hyperspecializing a small number of planets at a time? Maybe to avoid the old constant construction replacement cycles I remember?
That sounds like all my empires tbh.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Senethro posted:

The change to pop growth means it's optimal to have several about 15-20 pop planets growing new pops and those pops then emigrating to your few hyper-developed core planets. So the AI is doing it right.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
Yeah planets in this game get positive returns to scale, at least until the building slots and districts are all full it's usually more efficient to cluster people together.

Small planets will have a few buildings that you get one per planet (eg robot assembly), then mostly produce migrants for the big ones.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

I hate that because of the way first contact events work it is entirely possible to not get the influence from them despite immediately assigning pops to them and having all your policies set to making it easier.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Relevant Tangent posted:

I hate that because of the way first contact events work it is entirely possible to not get the influence from them despite immediately assigning pops to them and having all your policies set to making it easier.
Agreed.

There was a mod mentioned a while back which added a speed dial for all of the curators and stuff, anyone got the name of it?

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
Are Ring Worlds better than an Ecumenopolis?

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

ilkhan posted:

There was a mod mentioned a while back which added a speed dial for all of the curators and stuff, anyone got the name of it?
Speed Dial

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Thom12255 posted:

I'd say yes, although it takes a lot longer to build one unless you get extremely lucky and can stack all the megastructure build speed boosts.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Thom12255 posted:

Hell no. You'll likely have an Ecumenopolis just to mass-produce the alloys you'll need to build/restore one. Ring Worlds are good, but by the time you're colonizing/building one you're probably already in a state of untouchable godliness.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Hows the state of the base game atm if I don't have Overlord and Nemesis? I've heard that the single-player-vs-ai game is shoddy atm because of vassal changes, but I'm not sure what the general opinion is beyond 'those xpacs arent worth it'

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

Mostly skimmed the thread for a while so I've probably missed some good effortposts from you guys:

Is there any good materials on how to build fleets now? I was having a lot of success with a missile cruiser/torp cruiser mix right up until Fallen Empires swiftly corrected me of any idea I'd figured out a formula. I didn't really do any early-game warring, so i never got to cut my teeth with corvettes etc, either. I imagine disruptors are good early? When do i need to think about shield and armour hardeners? What is the best way to use them? I figure there's a lot of room for manoeuvring in rival build compositions, but I don't play multiplayer so I figure that's probably less important for me?

I'm really enjoying Stellaris as it is right now. The automation stuff works extremely well to the point I'm spending more time trying to figure out war and I'm discovering just how bad I am at it :v:

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(
Pretty sure this is hell in space(?).

Slavers and purgers ain't got poo poo on a world with literally billions upon billions of middle managers and HR ladies :v:

Haven't done a Megacorp run in a while and made some charismatic tradehappy desert bugs and for once there was tons of friends close by! in short I am making heaps of cash and basically buying everything from the market, and now focusing on turning my empire into ECUs and ringworlds when I get the tech. I have fought like three wars and one of them was to steal my neighbours from their overlord lol.

Bobfly
Apr 22, 2007
EGADS!
So, I'm trying to play this on a steam deck, and as such am trying to slim down my list of mods.
Are there any mods that you all consider essential? Apart from Guilli's planet modifiers.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Bobfly posted:

So, I'm trying to play this on a steam deck, and as such am trying to slim down my list of mods.
Are there any mods that you all consider essential? Apart from Guilli's planet modifiers.

Tiny Outliner and Guillis are the two that never leave my rotation.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

ConfusedUs posted:

Tiny Outliner and Guillis are the two that never leave my rotation.

Seconding this. I generally much prefer UI Overhaul dynamic to vanilla too.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Vanilla UI is awful and looks like it was made for 720p or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin
Some weird poo poo just happened in that Fallen Empire system (Holy Guardians). In one of their planetary systems, a void cloud showed up and the entire system got foggy as gently caress and lightning was all over the place and it looked like it was gonna destroy everything.

Was this a shroud event or something?