Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
Yeah they took up the top two slots for me. Most listened to track was that bonkers Lay Down Sally from Electric on the Eel (JGB 8/10/91)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

algebra testes posted:

The original planned dicks picks 1, dicks picks 19 from fall 73. Best show of the best tour.

Had a very special place in my heart. Although most of fall 73 is amazing.

I’ve truly been loving all the recent “on this date” shows from 73 over the past week.

E: the PITB on Dec 2, 1973 is one-of-a-kind and an all-timer

trem_two fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Dec 3, 2022

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
This is silly, but i'll put it here anyway:

I was listening to a Dead show on college radio decades ago, and I seem to recall at the end of one of the songs, Jerry and Bob started arguing, and it was definitely audible in the recording. As they continued, the crowd picked up on it and started cheering before it quickly faded out, I suppose as they stepped away from the mics.

This could have been several shows, but if anyone knows what I'm referring to, post it up. Not trying to dwell on the negative at all as that band had plenty of struggles, but listening to some shows just reminded me of it. I think it was an 80s or 90s show but I'm not sure.

I know it's been out for some time now, but I just finished Phil's book. A good read.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Arms_Akimbo posted:

Yeah they took up the top two slots for me. Most listened to track was that bonkers Lay Down Sally from Electric on the Eel (JGB 8/10/91)

Keyboard tones on that are kinda nuts

Garcialive 8 also bangs

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
My only real issue with the Dick's releases is that it gets pretty heavy on 77, which isn't exactly a bad problem to have. But it's a shame there's not more like that awesome Lake Tahoe show from 68. There's a Spotify playlist that has the entirety of the series in chronological order if you want to go on a journey.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
Got a ticket to see Phil And Friends in February, pretty excited for that.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

trem_two posted:

Got a ticket to see Phil And Friends in February, pretty excited for that.

I kinda hope Phil just poaches TAB's horn section permanently whenever Trey isn't touring, they sounded great on the livestream I watched a few months ago

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I hope they replace Phil Lesh with Phil Anselmo

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

BigFactory posted:

You know you can just... not listen or pay attention to the musicians you don't like, right?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Noise Machine posted:

You know you can just... not listen or pay attention to the musicians you don't like, right?

You wouldn’t want to hear Phil Anselmo take a crack at Unbroken Chain?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

BigFactory posted:

Lmao

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I've never paid much attention to JRAD but a buddy is selling me his Red Rocks tickets so I've dug in lately. They are a lot of fun. I used to listen to benevento/russo duo so my impression of them was weird jazz you can't groove to. But Marco is a really tasteful keys player and just jams like he's in a 90s jam band sometimes. Scott Metzger is a fun guitarist too. It's cool how much they play around with other bands' sounds in their jams. They tease a bunch of Phish, and in some 2017 show I just listened to, they sounded like umphreys mcgee for a good 5 minutes.

Anyhow I'm jazzed and maybe I'll see you there.

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
I like jrad's loudness range. They're not afraid to strip a song down to it's barest notes and it really, really drives home the big anthemic peaks

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
Been listening to 12/27/70 past couple of days which is my first foray into the early years. Weird to hear them so scruffy. Bit too bluesy for my taste, and Jerry's singing isn't quite there (might just be the specific show though). I'm also not hearing any keys at all, if Pigpen's actually playing something then the mix buries him completely in this case. Definitely missing that extra sonic layer.

Still pretty fun though.

edit: 12/28/79 now, really good so far. A massive Sugaree to start and I've never heard this weirdo arrangement for Row Jimmy before, I like it a lot.

Sway Grunt fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Dec 28, 2022

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe

Sway Grunt posted:

edit: 12/28/79 now, really good so far. A massive Sugaree to start and I've never heard this weirdo arrangement for Row Jimmy before, I like it a lot.

I've been listening to a lot of New Year's run shows from 79 to 83 this week. That one is a very good show, great Terrapin and Playin' in the 2nd set. Other really good ones I've heard this week are 12/26/79, 12/28/80, 12/27/81 and 12/28/83. Plenty of great versions of Althea, Friend Of The Devil, and Cassidy, some monster Playin's and The Other Ones (unfortunately some Red Roosters and CC Riders too). Some really good Brent showcases too, the Playin's in particular show him getting spacey and weird, good stuff.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
Will definitely check out some of those, I've been wanting to listen to more of the early Brent years.

Septic Knothead
Jul 23, 2009

Boris S Wart
The Second Meanest Man In The World

Sway Grunt posted:

Been listening to 12/27/70 past couple of days which is my first foray into the early years. Weird to hear them so scruffy. Bit too bluesy for my taste, and Jerry's singing isn't quite there (might just be the specific show though). I'm also not hearing any keys at all, if Pigpen's actually playing something then the mix buries him completely in this case. Definitely missing that extra sonic layer.

Still pretty fun though.

I have some 1968 stuff that is really well mixed. Pigpen is quite prominent. I found I really like his playing. Also check out Two From The Vault.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
Two from the vault has a really powerful St Stephen on it. My favorite, really. Jerry is on fire!

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I'm diving deep into JRAD and I've come to the conclusion that Scott Metzger understands Jerry way better than John Mayer. Like I just dropped into the middle of an untitled jam not tied to a song and briefly thought autoplay had gone on to a Dead show. Metzger just has the tone and style absolutely nailed. The way he can transition from some aimless wandering noodling into a hard blues lead before you realize where it was headed, everything.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

I'm diving deep into JRAD and I've come to the conclusion that Scott Metzger understands Jerry way better than John Mayer. Like I just dropped into the middle of an untitled jam not tied to a song and briefly thought autoplay had gone on to a Dead show. Metzger just has the tone and style absolutely nailed. The way he can transition from some aimless wandering noodling into a hard blues lead before you realize where it was headed, everything.

John K does too. I never got Mayer

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I really like Mayer and I like Dead and Co. I think he plays Dead stuff with respect and enthusiasm, which to me is more important in a tribute/cover band. Same with Billy Strings, the love of their music is clear when he plays it despite not hitting the tone and style precisely. But yeah, Mayer's approach feels a little more enthusiast than devotee.

I've seen a bunch of Dead tribute/cover acts, and a couple Pink Floyd. They often leave me wondering "yeah but can you do anything else?" because they put so much effort into perfectly duplicating the sound and songs note for note, and not always in a way that is good. JRAD knows all the notes and the sound, but they sound as if they're thinking "OK, how would they play it right here and now?"

I dunno maybe I'm thinking too hard about it and just making stuff up.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

I really like Mayer and I like Dead and Co. I think he plays Dead stuff with respect and enthusiasm, which to me is more important in a tribute/cover band. Same with Billy Strings, the love of their music is clear when he plays it despite not hitting the tone and style precisely. But yeah, Mayer's approach feels a little more enthusiast than devotee.

I've seen a bunch of Dead tribute/cover acts, and a couple Pink Floyd. They often leave me wondering "yeah but can you do anything else?" because they put so much effort into perfectly duplicating the sound and songs note for note, and not always in a way that is good. JRAD knows all the notes and the sound, but they sound as if they're thinking "OK, how would they play it right here and now?"

I dunno maybe I'm thinking too hard about it and just making stuff up.

I don’t think of JRAD as a tribute band at all. They do interesting things with the songs.

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
Yeah that line is pretty blurry. The Dead played a bunch of stuff they didn't write either. A term I like to use is "they play from the songbook"

It's like widespread panic. Like 10% of their catalog is original material and not covers or songs written by bloodkin or Jerry Joseph

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Panic should have stopped writing songs in the early mid 90s for the most part. They did a great job at picking covers though, I wouldn't have ever known about Vic Chestnut or Jerry Joseph if not for them. Or Bruce Hampton.

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Dec 31, 2022

An Apple A Gay
Oct 21, 2008

Bob played with goose last night torch passed ?

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
Seems that Jay Lane had to step in for both Bill and Mickey throughout the 3 shows, and at one point Jay was the sole drummer. Might need to add another reserve drummer on retainer for the summer tour.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

trem_two posted:

Seems that Jay Lane had to step in for both Bill and Mickey throughout the 3 shows, and at one point Jay was the sole drummer. Might need to add another reserve drummer on retainer for the summer tour.

We miss Vinnie Paul so much in times like these

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

trem_two posted:

It didn't seem like it was.out of emergency or distress, it was more like Mickey or Billy invited him up for a song then would swap out with him during the jam.

My opinion is just give us three drum sets on stage and have the three of them come and go as they please.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe

Noise Machine posted:

It didn't seem like it was.out of emergency or distress, it was more like Mickey or Billy invited him up for a song then would swap out with him during the jam.

My opinion is just give us three drum sets on stage and have the three of them come and go as they please.

Ah, probably just some good weed down there

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Today brings the first show of 1973. The Dead have had a bit of time off while they were in sessions for WAKE OF THE FLOOD and show up at Palo Alto to play 6(!) of those songs for the first time. There is a seventh, which sees the band's first performance of Garcia's 'They Love Each Other'. He'd actually debuted that song for the first time with Merl Saunders in November 72. It's also their only known performance of it and sadly not on tape. In other news the band have a new PA system and it's almost immediately giving them problems as Bobby pretty much admits the concert is an excuse to iron all this out, but assures everyone that it'll hopefully be working by the end (Phil also reminds everyone that if they've seen the Dead before then they know technical issues are nothing new) so the early performances of 'Promised Land' and 'Row Jimmy' - the first of our new songs - are a little shakey. The rest of the set is pretty solid with 'Loose Lucy' (If you like songs about Jerry getting his gently caress on then this is for you) seeing its debut and 'Looks Like Rain' getting a workout for the first time since July 72 in a slightly different lyrical variation. Garcia takes off during a late-set 'El Paso' showing that while people can tend to look down on Bobby's songs, even those within the band, they often led to the most fun Garcia perfomances. After that we get the debut of 'Here Comes Sunshine' which I always find a little underrated and it's probably the first real jam song of the show. The band play through it so easily - we'll see that again later on with two more debuts - that you forget it's meant to be the first time. One of the most endearing things about the Dead was this laisez faire attitude to new songs: once they've learned how it goes then it's fair game, even if they haven't finished writing it yet. They finish it off with a pretty big 20 minute 'Playing In The Band' and if you're reading this you probably know what to expect from that.

Second set opens with an annoncement from Wavy Gravy where he was told to "keep it short and not political" and as he notes, how can you keep it non-political when you're talking about this. The gist of it is that at the end of 1972 Operation Linebacker II was a bombing raid over Hanoi that lasted about 10 days and saw the US drop 20,000 lbs of ordanance on what was supposed to be Military and Industrial areas. It's estimated that about 2500 civilians died in total with about 5,000 houses destroyed and about 100 'other' buildings (including Bach Mai teaching Hospital) left in ruins. It was essentially a move to force the Vietnamese - who had already surrendered - into whatever terms the US wanted and one of the main reasons that it remains an injustice that Henry Kissenger isn't locked up for War crimes. Anyhoo, Wavy Gravy is there to try and raise money to get them a new Hospital and it serves as a reminder for how much political activism like this has lost a lot of the grassroots effort and how you pretty much never see this from a band these days (Unless you're U2 and you choose to do it in an obnoxious, tax avoiding way). Do bands even play benefits any more?

The first notable song after a nice 'China/Rider' and 'Jack Straw' to open Set 2 is the aforementioned 'They Love Each Other'. It's a much lighter, peppier version that we're used to and it would see some variation over time but this is a pretty fun one, albeit pretty short at just a hair over 4 minutes. Overall I think I prefer the slightly slower versions of the song though admittedly and shamefully it's never been a song I've loved all that much. From there you get a perfunctory (and short) version of 'Truckin' before the centrepiece of 'Eyes Of The World' into 'China Doll'. It's first time performances for both and you'd think EOTW had been played a hundred times before. It's just there, pretty much fully formed as though it's been in their back pocket all along. Bob in particular plays some lovely laid-back guitar on it, the opposite of Jerry's energetic solos. Along with PITB it's been the only real chance to jam something out and they do so for a staggering 18 minutes. You can tell how enamoured with their new song and the chance to play something totally new. Surprisingly that's probably the highlight of the whole show since the rest of the set is played straight through with very little fat ('Big River', 'Wave That Flag', 'Around and Around', uhh, 'Box Of Rain').

These early 73 shows are few and far between and I'm not going to write about all of them but I wanted to highlight this one as a neat curiosity and for a template for what we'll get throught the rest of the year. Despite many of the same songs, Europe 72 seems so far away now, most noteably in the absence of our friend Pigpen who in near enough one month to the day from now will be dead. By this time he had reportedly cut himself off from the band, telling them that he didn't want them to see him die and so they didn't, with Garcia noting at his funeral that it was the end of the original Grateful Dead. I think it's probably fair to say that end came a little earlier. Once Pigpen stopped so did Pigpen's songs and so those Bluesy/Party numbers that were so integral to the band (I think they knew they could get exploratory with something like 'Dark Star' because 'Good Lovin' would be right around the corner) came to an end and once they made the adjustment it was hard to imagine him fitting in at all. I don't know if Pigpen ever heard this iteration of the band, I suspect he didn't, but I wonder what he would have thought. Later of course 'He's Gone' became a defacto eulogy for Pigpen which must have come to some relief to Mickey Hart and a shock to Pigpen, wherever he was, that they couldn't have picked a nicer song like 'China Doll' or something that's not about a thieving scumbag.

With the kinks ironed out, more or less, their next show is a belter. And we get the first ever Dark Star-->Eyes-->China Doll.

DrVenkman fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Feb 10, 2023

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
drat great write up.

Fall 73 is my favorite tour so I look forward to that.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

No big write-up, but I did want to shout out today's show from 73. It's only the second of the year but it's as good a representation for 73 as you're going to get. The second set has a fantastic 'Dark Star-->'Eyes Of The World'-->'China Doll' showcase (a trifecta that only existed for 73) and a stunning 'Here Comes Sunshine'. Utterly bizarre that this should get a fair showing in 73, get played once in 74 and then not see the light of day again until 1992(?!) when it's such a lovely number. But that's why they're the Dead and I'm just writing about them. Other highlights are 'Sugar Magnolia' to end the show, a first set 'China/Rider' that's rip-roaring, a crowd pleasing 'Tennessee Jed' and a surprise late set 2 'Sugaree'. Sadly the sources are a little iffy for this show, with the Matrix version arguably the best. Even so, there's various issues due to tape dropouts etc and songs switching sources abruptly. Nevertheless, check it out .

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
Just heard Scarlet Begonias for the first time, what rock have I been living under this whole time, where was this when I needed it wtf

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

"Love us with money or we'll hate you with hammers!"
Excellent, now go find yourself a good live Scarlet Begonias>Fire On The Mountain and get on the bus

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Love Stole the Day posted:

Just heard Scarlet Begonias for the first time, what rock have I been living under this whole time, where was this when I needed it wtf

it's always A Thing when they first click with you.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Love Stole the Day posted:

Cool, now go listen to Europe 72 in it's entirety

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Final Blog Entry posted:

Excellent, now go find yourself a good live Scarlet Begonias>Fire On The Mountain and get on the bus

Said it before and I’ll say it again, best scarlet fire ever was 10-1-94 https://archive.org/details/gd1994-10-01.150116.dsbd.miller.flac1644

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

BigFactory posted:

Said it before and I’ll say it again, best scarlet fire ever was 10-1-94 https://archive.org/details/gd1994-10-01.150116.dsbd.miller.flac1644

holy poo poo that is a SETLIST, might have to take this one for a spin today

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Dick's Vol 29 has a good Scarlet>Fire