Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

BonoMan posted:

So my home is a single story no crawlspace no basement as well.

But! Both spigots are opposite a bathroom vanity. Could I theoretically just run them into under the vanity? Would probably be ugly but potentially work.

Yep! Mine for the backyard is aligned with the kitchen so the connection is under the sink. In my last house I wanted to put it aligned with a perpendicular interior wall but I never got around to it.

I'm now remembering that I had to cut off my sprinkler supply pipe for my foundation repair so I have an opportunity to add an irrigation supply wall hydrant with exterior valve and drain plug. That'll make winterizing and startup mildly easier. Woodford Model 32.

StormDrain fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Dec 25, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Another option is this, if you have (or can create) access to the pipe to the faucet

Rexxed posted:

. Here we have a shutoff a couple of feet inside the basement and we turn that off and then open the exterior faucet and leave it like that all winter since the pipe itself being cold/freezing with no water trapped in it is fine.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

My retirement dream is to work part time in a hardware store stocking shelves, sweeping floors, and knowing more about fasteners than any normal person should know. This one stumped me. What kind of drive is that?

edit: or are those just chewed up Phillips?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Looks like a semi screwed up LOX recess. I rarely see those because it's more licensing hell. I think they usually come with metal frame building kits.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Motronic posted:

Looks like a semi screwed up LOX recess. I rarely see those because it's more licensing hell. I think they usually come with metal frame building kits.

It's this + a Philips bit + for fucks sake = those screws.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Yeah it’s LOX… the big hint there is the “G” on the screw means it’s Grabber. I had to fix this door when I changed out the hardware and the only thing I had that was long enough was some 3.5” Grabber UltraPros.

Very nice screws but I’m probably the only person in a few miles radius of me with LOX bits. Their big thing is they take more torque without cam out and can be driven off-axis, as I did in that doorway. I meant to go back and change all of them out but this thread talking about mixing the sets (in the top of a door frame, no less) reminded me of what evil I had done in one of our bathrooms.

bred
Oct 24, 2008
Screws converted to round drive.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

bred posted:

Screws converted to round drive.

Yeah I friction weld my screws to the hinge, it's for *security*.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
I assume the pipes froze on the PO at some point because everything in the basement has heat trace and insulation wrap on it. It’s 3 degrees out, hope it works!

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Hed posted:

Yeah it’s LOX… the big hint there is the “G” on the screw means it’s Grabber. I had to fix this door when I changed out the hardware and the only thing I had that was long enough was some 3.5” Grabber UltraPros.

Very nice screws but I’m probably the only person in a few miles radius of me with LOX bits. Their big thing is they take more torque without cam out and can be driven off-axis, as I did in that doorway. I meant to go back and change all of them out but this thread talking about mixing the sets (in the top of a door frame, no less) reminded me of what evil I had done in one of our bathrooms.

You have six holes, but are only using two different drive types. You can do better than that.

edit: Torx, hex, slotted, square.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

SkunkDuster posted:

You have six holes, but are only using two different drive types. You can do better than that.

edit: Torx, hex, slotted, square.

Put a nail in one hole

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

SpartanIvy posted:

Put a nail in one hole

Still better than slotted.

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!
How about a well placed dollop of jbweld?

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Expanding foam in a pilot hole drilled by a masonry bit.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Hello HCH/DIY subforum, I don't think I have ever posted here, but I have a question about picking some home security camera and I'm not sure where else to ask but this thread.

I'm looking for something decently cheap and without subscriptions. There's apparently an Arduino project called ESP32-CAM, which I assume some of you would be familiar with?

I saw this build video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uz-YrfaSO8

But it looked way harder than something I could pull. Looking for advice, experiences, or even just a link to some seller who builds this sort of thing?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Saoshyant posted:

Hello HCH/DIY subforum, I don't think I have ever posted here, but I have a question about picking some home security camera and I'm not sure where else to ask but this thread.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3635963

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Saoshyant posted:

I'm looking for something decently cheap and without subscriptions. There's apparently an Arduino project called ESP32-CAM, which I assume some of you would be familiar with?

I saw this build video:

But it looked way harder than something I could pull. Looking for advice, experiences, or even just a link to some seller who builds this sort of thing?

If you don't find the answers in this thread, there is an Arduino thread:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3505424

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015

Saoshyant posted:

I saw this build video:

Just about any home improvement store or discount club like Sams or Costco should have security camera kits these days that include wired or wireless cameras and a recorder of some kind that work without any home monitoring subscriptions. Setting these up is fairly simple, anyone who is not intimidated into inaction by computers should be able to install them successfully. But yeah, the thread Motronic linked will have specific advice and recommendations.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I have a 6' deep trench behind my home and no drain on my kitchen sink. I taped off the handle to the sink and told my wife not to use it or pour anything down the drain, and I put a stopper in it.

It wasn't but a couple hours until she reached for the handle and said "yep, thanks for taping that shut or I would have used it."

I'm glad I put a table in front of the back door or one of us would be caught in the trench by now.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

StormDrain posted:

I have a 6' deep trench behind my home and no drain on my kitchen sink. I taped off the handle to the sink and told my wife not to use it or pour anything down the drain, and I put a stopper in it.

It wasn't but a couple hours until she reached for the handle and said "yep, thanks for taping that shut or I would have used it."

I'm glad I put a table in front of the back door or one of us would be caught in the trench by now.

How wide is your trench? 6’ is deep

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

StormDrain posted:

It's so hard to remember stuff that's so innate. I wind up having to put an X of painters tape over the sink.

My dumbest moment was getting my hands dirty cleaning a p-trap, got the bucket out and wanted to have clean hands for doorknobs to get outside. You bet I fired up that drainless sink to wash my hands. Had the water on because knocking some crud free in our lovely drain generally needs some water to flush it through into the bucket.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

BigFactory posted:

How wide is your trench? 6’ is deep

The main thing is that it's right against the foundation so it's a shear dropoff on one side. It's about 2' wide, its here to remove pressure from the foundation wall and it's about to get pushed back into place vertically before being reinforced. No work is happening in the trench.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
After our mudroom pull-chain light got replaced with a switch, it took my wife and I months to stop fumbling in the dark with our hands above our heads to try and find that pull chain.

Also, when I had a plumber replacing a portion of the main vent stack/drain pipe in the house, I was sure to set something completely bizarre on top of the toilet seat so I wouldn't accidentally use the toilet and dump... something on him.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

How the hell do you identify a kitchen sink faucet with no text anywhere on it? I have found that mine is leaking at the base where the rubber gasket seems to exist and I would like to replace it. I know I have to buy that tool to get up and undo the nut under the sink to raise the faucet enough to do this (presumably the gasket needs to be slid over the top assembly also) but I don't know the brand or anything. The place was reno'd in 2015 and it was likely replaced then. Here's a photo shamelessly taken from the listing when I bought it because I have some dirty dishes in the sink and it's embarassing:

I have checked underneath, the back, everywhere and don't see any branding.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
The tool is a basin wrench, for future reference. I don't have any advice on IDing your faucet, but it's not like sinks are only compatible with certain faucets, so you could just get a new one. I bet gaskets are also generic, if you want to try a repair.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
If you get it off the sink and bring it to a supply house you can buy replacement guts if it's a name brand. If it's Ikea just buy a new unit there. Gaskets and stuff are super generic, guts are in ready supply if a major brand.

Do you have a picture of your actual sink?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

The tool is a basin wrench, for future reference. I don't have any advice on IDing your faucet, but it's not like sinks are only compatible with certain faucets, so you could just get a new one. I bet gaskets are also generic, if you want to try a repair.

Perfect, thanks. Huh I guess the 3-hole baseplates are relatively standard then? I would have thought they'd all be totally different sizes.

H110Hawk posted:

If you get it off the sink and bring it to a supply house you can buy replacement guts if it's a name brand. If it's Ikea just buy a new unit there. Gaskets and stuff are super generic, guts are in ready supply if a major brand.

Do you have a picture of your actual sink?

Thank you - that's my actual sink.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

VelociBacon posted:

Perfect, thanks. Huh I guess the 3-hole baseplates are relatively standard then? I would have thought they'd all be totally different sizes.

Thank you - that's my actual sink.

Maybe you cannot tell but it's like a postage stamp thumbnail blown up on my phone. It looks like marketing material gone wrong.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

H110Hawk posted:

Maybe you cannot tell but it's like a postage stamp thumbnail blown up on my phone. It looks like marketing material gone wrong.

It's marketing material gone right because I paid 100k over asking. I'm looking at it on my 4k monitor so I didn't realize - sorry. I'll take a photo now.

e: I'll timg it if that's helpful. Appreciate your eyes on it

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Dec 28, 2022

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!

VelociBacon posted:

It's marketing material gone right because I paid 100k over asking. I'm looking at it on my 4k monitor so I didn't realize - sorry. I'll take a photo now.

Google lens is pretty great. I'm pretty sure it's this. https://www.amazon.com/Moen-CA87006SRS-Boutique-Collection-Stainless/dp/B006M5AIAE

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Yes.

No clue on the faucet.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

VelociBacon posted:

LOL I never thought to do that before and I might start.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

That's a really smart idea, thanks! That's definitely the one.

Thanks to everyone else for the help as well. Time to find a gasket.

Looks like a bespoke part but I have the part number now. Awesome!

e: Of course it's 75 bucks and you can't buy the gasket without the metal piece above it. Maybe I'll just loosen it off and clean all the surfaces up and retorque it down.

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Dec 28, 2022

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

VelociBacon posted:

Lmao

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

VelociBacon posted:

:golfclap:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

MrAmazing
Jun 21, 2005

VelociBacon posted:

!

e: Of course it's 75 bucks and you can't buy the gasket without the metal piece above it. Maybe I'll just loosen it off and clean all the surfaces up and retorque it down.

What is the counter top material? I tried the same thing but couldn’t get the faucet tight enough because water had leaked and swollen the laminate.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

MrAmazing posted:

What is the counter top material? I tried the same thing but couldn’t get the faucet tight enough because water had leaked and swollen the laminate.

It's quartz, or engineered quartz, can't remember. It definitely should be able to tighten enough but I really don't even know how tight it might be or not be. I'll pick up that tool first, maybe it just needs a tighten.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

VelociBacon posted:

How the hell do you identify a kitchen sink faucet with no text anywhere on it? I have found that mine is leaking at the base where the rubber gasket seems to exist and I would like to replace it. I know I have to buy that tool to get up and undo the nut under the sink to raise the faucet enough to do this (presumably the gasket needs to be slid over the top assembly also) but I don't know the brand or anything. The place was reno'd in 2015 and it was likely replaced then. Here's a photo shamelessly taken from the listing when I bought it because I have some dirty dishes in the sink and it's embarassing:

I have checked underneath, the back, everywhere and don't see any branding.

I'm assuming you're looking at the big oval gasket or maybe the little round one 143338 from this parts diagram. I doubt either of those are the ones leaking since those are meant to keep water from the sink getting in and going through the mounting holes underneath.

I'd guess your issue is somewhere higher up in the system, such as the cartridge and anything sealing that. The cartridge is mixing hot and cold and sending it back down the hose underneath and back up to the sprayer part, I think you could isolate those pretty easily as leaking or not. Does it leak under the sink or over the sink?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

StormDrain posted:

I'm assuming you're looking at the big oval gasket or maybe the little round one 143338 from this parts diagram. I doubt either of those are the ones leaking since those are meant to keep water from the sink getting in and going through the mounting holes underneath.

I'd guess your issue is somewhere higher up in the system, such as the cartridge and anything sealing that. The cartridge is mixing hot and cold and sending it back down the hose underneath and back up to the sprayer part, I think you could isolate those pretty easily as leaking or not. Does it leak under the sink or over the sink?

It leaks under the sink. When I feel around up there, I think I felt water around the hole that the center part goes through as it passes through the sink. I'll have to actually empty out the area under the sink and run the tap into the sink at various temps I guess to check the cartridge (is that the right testing methodology?). The gasket seal thing itself doesn't look even from the outside, maybe it's overtightened or maybe it's swollen somehow.

e: I'm looking at the bottommost gasket there, this thing:

I don't think 143338 is a gasket but rather is a threaded ring used to retain the faucet in the sink.