Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
The Three-Body Problem is being made into a TV show for everyone's favourite streamer, by everyone's favourite showrunners.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Brendan Rodgers posted:

If you're into Dwarf Fortress and Dominions, Shadow Empire is definitely the game for you. I struggle to recommend it to most people, even though I love it myself, but you are the exact person to enter that kind of game without bouncing off it.

I have been looking at it but I feel I would probably get annoyed at it unfortunately. Dominions was OK but I only play singleplayer, DF is too much faff for not enough reward.

I do want a game like that though, just worry shadow empire would have too much fiddly stuff for me to deal with. I did enjoy watching Grey Hunter play on youtube though.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Game's problem was that it went all-in on physical copies of video games, and ripping people off part-exchanging physical copies of video games. Which meant they had to stock a huge selection of pre-owned games cheaper than the full-price new copies, undermining their own model.

And then the bottom fell out of pre-owned when digital add-ons took off, especially games coming with one-off codes and it became much, much easier to just wait for the steam / psn / xbox store to have a sale

Combined with box media now being pointless in an age of day 1 patches where you pretty much need to redownload the entire thing anyway, physical copies just don't make sense. You can either go into town, buy a box, get it back home, put the disc in (assuming you bought a PS5 that actually has a drive) and then wait for the patch to download; or buy the game digitally, go have a bath / nap while it's dowloading, then go.

Even the old excuse of 'if you own the disc you own the game and can always play it' is meaningless now always-online and live-service are normalised and they can just turn the servers off or patch whole chunks of the game out with zero repercussions

My old solution was that they should have diversified into Warhams & D&D, but now D&D seems to be talking about moving to digital, so :shrug:

Last time I went in, over half the shop was funko pops and amiibos, whoever was running the place before the takeover was hardly a big-brain business genius.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
My response was I basically stopped gaming altogether and never gave the gaming industry another cent until this christmas when I bought my kids a switch.

I also remember I didn't care one bit for the rise of multiplayer gaming, I liked single player stuff.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

History Comes Inside! posted:

I miss when games were physically massive and if you were lucky came with a keyboard overlay and if you were really lucky it fit your keyboard

Steel Battalion owner spotted.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Z the IVth posted:

Steel Battalion owner spotted.

It’s actually the only OG Xbox game I still have in the house

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Do you have the giant control panel for it?

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Z the IVth posted:

How's the Great Firewall's play time limits?

They don’t apply in my part of town. I have doubts about how consistently they apply elsewhere.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Man Total Annihilation was (is) a loving amazing game. The music, the robots, the projectile based fighting. Air, land, sea, artillery, missiles, nukes, radar, shield gens, the opening cinematic, THE GROGOTH HNNNNNGGGGG

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

Do you have the giant control panel for it?

You can’t play it without it :science:

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Tesseraction posted:

What games do you recall really liking previously?
Used to have a pretty varied collection in the PS1/2 days, which narrowed down more to FPSes, action-adventures and open-world games on the PS3, and then largely open-worlders on the PS4 - several of which were just updates of ones I already had (Skyrim, GTA, Saints Row 3). I think it's mainly because as my son's got older, that little window at the end of the day when I can chill out and do whatever has got smaller and smaller. (It's not often I even get the time to watch an entire film in one sitting, on the increasingly rare occasions when I fancy trying something I haven't seen before.)

So I'm definitely not going to try a Soulslike, however well-regarded they are. Spending my limited time dying over and over until I git gud sounds like a personal Hell.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

You can’t play it without it :science:

It’s a lasting regret of mine that I’ve never got to play it; I have an unnatural love for huge gimmicky controls like that.

How well does it actually work for the game?

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Jakabite posted:

Man Total Annihilation was (is) a loving amazing game. The music, the robots, the projectile based fighting. Air, land, sea, artillery, missiles, nukes, radar, shield gens, the opening cinematic, THE GROGOTH HNNNNNGGGGG

Never played it but I did have TA:Kingdoms which also slapped. Absolutely lovely manual, too.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I have probably a couple of hundred video games at home. It's the one thing I really want physical media for (although I buy second hand dirt cheap so I'm not contributing to needless waste of resources)

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Total Annihilation is the only game in that genre I've played through to the end, what a great game.

The big boxes were the poo poo. I got Frankenstein: Through The Eyes Of The Monster in one and it came with a paperback copy of the original book for some reason. Aside from the enormous manuals for other games, I don't remember getting anything especially cool sadly.

Payndz posted:

I think it's mainly because as my son's got older, that little window at the end of the day when I can chill out and do whatever has got smaller and smaller. (It's not often I even get the time to watch an entire film in one sitting, on the increasingly rare occasions when I fancy trying something I haven't seen before.)

So I'm definitely not going to try a Soulslike, however well-regarded they are. Spending my limited time dying over and over until I git gud sounds like a personal Hell.
This is basically my situation too, I squeeze whatever I can into the period between 11:30PM and 12:30AM and boy has that hosed my sleep schedule!

I still spent like three solid months playing Elden Ring because it's actually pretty forgiving by Souls standards and is also just that drat good. I'm massively struggling with playing PC games though as by that point in the day I just want to lie on a sofa and stare blankly at a TV, and due to space issues need to use my laptop as an actual laptop.

Kegluneq fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Dec 28, 2022

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

sebzilla posted:

Never played it but I did have TA:Kingdoms which also slapped. Absolutely lovely manual, too.

Do yourself a favour and pick it up - TA kingdoms does slap but it's not even a shadow of the game TA is.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Camrath posted:

It’s a lasting regret of mine that I’ve never got to play it; I have an unnatural love for huge gimmicky controls like that.

How well does it actually work for the game?

It works really well as long as you accept it for the big walking tank sim that it is, and has several buttons and toggle switches that are only used to turn the robot on at the start of each mission.

As a bonus, if you don’t flip the cover and hit the actual physical eject button before you die it deletes your save :black101: (it actually overwrites your save at the start of each mission with ‘you died’ and then doesn’t make a new save until you beat the mission or successfully eject, so you can’t save scum it either)

Total Annihilation chat - game owns enough that there is an unofficial patch by the community to get it running on modern systems as well as a team doing an open source remake to make it look nicer, but if you don’t want to gently caress around with that just buy Supreme Commander or SupCom: Forged Alliance.

Don’t bother with SupCom 2 because it’s a bit poo poo.

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

Tell them about the tournament!

Am I right in thinking the steel battalion controllers now go for a huge amount on ebay? I've always wanted to try it but I don't have the space to buy it!

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Tesseraction posted:

were they under a tyre at the time

I saw your mommy....

(Forkboy is possibly the only person who will understand this reference!)

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

It’s only ~£75-100 more than it was when it originally came out iirc, which is pretty small beer all things considered for a 20 year old limited run niche game with a very big and silly custom controller.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I know women who are impressed if a man actually HAS a car regardless of what sort of car it was!

I feel this is less of a signifier over here (especially in a big city) than in the US, where not having/driving a car is sort of prima facie a red flag for being a loser/incredibly poor.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

You sure are paying a lot of cattaxe at the moment. Wish I had cattes to pay cattaxe but we're not allowed them here.

feedmegin posted:

I feel this is less of a signifier over here (especially in a big city) than in the US, where not having/driving a car is sort of prima facie a red flag for being a loser/incredibly poor.

Was it not Thatcher who said: anyone on public transport after the age of 30 is a loser? (or some such equivalent).
Yes, I know some people could have bikes or motorbikes, but not all of them.
But yeah, having a car in say London is far more of a pain than not having one - tried explaining to my styx dwelling family & friends - and London does have a comparatively fabulous public transport system.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Dec 28, 2022

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

It’s only ~£75-100 more than it was when it originally came out iirc, which is pretty small beer all things considered for a 20 year old limited run niche game with a very big and silly custom controller.

I dread to think what a modern Steel Battalion setup (aka DCS world) costs.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Payndz posted:

Used to have a pretty varied collection in the PS1/2 days, which narrowed down more to FPSes, action-adventures and open-world games on the PS3, and then largely open-worlders on the PS4 - several of which were just updates of ones I already had (Skyrim, GTA, Saints Row 3). I think it's mainly because as my son's got older, that little window at the end of the day when I can chill out and do whatever has got smaller and smaller. (It's not often I even get the time to watch an entire film in one sitting, on the increasingly rare occasions when I fancy trying something I haven't seen before.)

Have you tried the rebooted Tomb Raider series or the Horizon: Zero Dawn / Forbidden West games?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

feedmegin posted:

I don't drive - back home in Dublin it's standard among my mates, but in New York where I am at the moment it's somewhere between an eccentricity and a disability

Tindalos
May 1, 2008

Bobby Deluxe posted:

My old solution was that they should have diversified into Warhams & D&D, but now D&D seems to be talking about moving to digital, so :shrug:

When I've been in there recently there's been a fair bit of D&D stuff, along with hasbro stuff, star wars, board games, and similar stuff. Seem to be diversifying into a bit more of a "general geek stuff" store now. Maybe it's behind on the trend, but it's still interesting to see, and I've managed to pick up a few transformers in Game that I haven't seen elsewhere. Which is nice.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I like Travelling Man for general geek stuff. They sometimes have a better selection of GW stuff than GW themselves.

Me and the mrs got each other Darktide for Christmas and it has been great fun. Unfortunately we are both quite sick atm and are currently recouperating as best we can.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
i can totally understand why people wouldn't want to drive in dublin

wall to wall schmohawks

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Gamechat. XBox Game Pass is ludicrously good value on PC. I’ve discovered absolute classics I never played like Dishonoured, there’s triple A stuff like Forza, newish releases like Outer Worlds and Control , old favourites like Doom and Wolfenstein, and a whole lot more for a tenner a month. I don’t intend to spend on Steam ever again.

Tesla was right
Apr 3, 2009

Whats with all the robot sex avatars?
A part of me feels like "platforms giving away games for free" is a scam I want no part in. Weird stance to take given I'll pirate games if I have beef with the publishers, and I don't own the game any more by buying it on steam or the like.

At the rate I actually buy games though, that's probably a sensible financial decision for me, the most I've spent on video games in months is £15 on Pentiment (very good game, would like another game where I get to fall in love with an ensemble cast of characters and Make Decisions).

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Gonna buy Rogue Trader when it comes out and be heretical as gently caress.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

I used to be a massive 4x fan until I discovered Oxygen Not Included, the perfect blend of exploration, exploitation, and accidentally letting the pisstank overflow into the lava pit and killing everyone with superhot steam.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Tesla was right posted:

A part of me feels like "platforms giving away games for free" is a scam I want no part in. Weird stance to take given I'll pirate games if I have beef with the publishers, and I don't own the game any more by buying it on steam or the like.

At the rate I actually buy games though, that's probably a sensible financial decision for me, the most I've spent on video games in months is £15 on Pentiment (very good game, would like another game where I get to fall in love with an ensemble cast of characters and Make Decisions).

as far as i can gather Epic store pays the publisher as normal, it’s just that they’re making mind boggling amounts of money off Fortnight so it’s pissing in the wind relatively speaking, but they’re trying to diversify their business and eat valves lunch

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I desperately want to play Pentiment but it's not on PS and not coming to it from what I understand.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

ONI is a game where you can literally build a boiling piss reactor and have it be useful.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I desperately want to play Pentiment but it's not on PS and not coming to it from what I understand.

You never know, the MS/actiblizz deal might get scuppered in court still and then they’ll want to put all the games everywhere again.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

You knew it was coming… Keith and Wes present ASBO 2 Electric Boogaloo

Mebh
May 10, 2010

His Divine Shadow posted:

All the games I ever own(ed) where bought like that. I found all these at my parents out back in a shed earlier this year.

Terra Nova has such a great cover

I don't think this is complete though.

Star Control III was good because it came with Star Control II and this incredibly huuuge printed map of hyperspace for it, must've been like A0 size.

Holy memories batman. I owned every single one of these games in my teens.

Also, goddamn. A copy of earthsiege 2 in the wild. Its sequel, starsiege was incredible and led to tribes and possibly kicked off the entire online huge arena competitive shooter genre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

smellmycheese posted:

You knew it was coming… Keith and Wes present ASBO 2 Electric Boogaloo

So if they're going to let victims decide on the punishment and also keep loving that war on drugs chicken, who decides what the punishment of someone convicted of a victimless crime is to be?