Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
https://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Wagon#Wagon-only_entrances

Anyone have a video or example of how to actually dig this out because it's confusing as hell as I've never really messed with ramps besides the natural ones from channeling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

poemdexter posted:

https://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Wagon#Wagon-only_entrances

Anyone have a video or example of how to actually dig this out because it's confusing as hell as I've never really messed with ramps besides the natural ones from channeling.

Caravans only come with wagons later on now, so I wouldn't recommend this setup.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Is there a way to get dwarves to dump water on bare stone tiles to muddy them without doing any construction? There are a few tiles of bare stone in the area where I want to set up my cavern farm. I designated them as ponds in the hopes of getting my dwarves to come throw a bucket of water on them, but nobody has done it yet. Not sure if they just haven't gotten around to it or if this won't work.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
digging doesn't work for setting up unusable ramps, you have to construct them in the locations you need

Bold Robot posted:

Is there a way to get dwarves to dump water on bare stone tiles to muddy them without doing any construction? There are a few tiles of bare stone in the area where I want to set up my cavern farm. I designated them as ponds in the hopes of getting my dwarves to come throw a bucket of water on them, but nobody has done it yet. Not sure if they just haven't gotten around to it or if this won't work.

did you also select the pit activity zone and make sure it's set to receive water? that should be a toggle in the zone info. if it's still not working after checking that, you may need to designate the pit on open space one z-level above the target flooring.

Venuz Patrol fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Dec 28, 2022

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Bold Robot posted:

If the next z-level up is clear, you could dig a channel up on that floor above the bare stone tiles and then designate those channeled squares as ponds. The dwarves should come dump water in the hole on to the bare stone below.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Bold Robot posted:

like 90% of the time when I run into this it's cause they designated all the buckets for some random chore they're also not doing, and can't find any unassigned ones. solution is to make just way too many buckets

I gotta figure out a way to slow the game down, besides being apparently way more optimized the steam version doesn't pause or anything to call your attention to major events so I didn't even realize my guards had found a loving dragon until they were walking away from its corpse doing one-liners

guess it worked out, anyway, bigger problem will be fighting the fortress's resident dragon of inbreeding:

Fish Appreciator
Nov 25, 2021
The first time a Dwarf of mine ever went into a strange mood, he was found days later dehydrated in the food storeroom. Now, I get nervous anytime a Dwarf is taken by a mood, even though they usually end up making, like, a really nice copper chain.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

johnny park posted:

An 8-year-old child uppercut a giant cave toad in the head so hard that she knocked it unconscious. Unfortunately, now I have to wait 10 more years to make her my militia captain and champion

And you were so blown away you made the "after" image of the toad into your avatar.

RadioDog
May 31, 2005

Communist Thoughts posted:

i really shoulda made steel armour...

Uh ... wow ... do you think that would have made much difference?

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

What's the best way to sync saves across devices? I want to sync my save across my laptop, steam deck and home PC but I'm not sure how to do that. I looked up the save system on the wiki and it sounded like it might be complicated to do this (like everything DF related) and I'm not sure what to do.

I was thinking of just copying the save to my documents folder which will use onedrive to sync it across the PC and laptop then just FTP the save to the steam deck when I want to play on there.

Edit: Never mind, found a guide to use MegaSYNC and it works perfectly!

Cowman fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Dec 28, 2022

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

I have a volcano at my fort (of course). If I dig out a 1 tile wide path overlooking the caldera, what are the best traps to use to encourage enemies to dodge off and fall in?

Cheap weapon traps?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

My carpenter started with my first fort, tried making tables once, declared himself a carpenter, and has made five legendary tables in a row

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Tuna-Fish posted:

I've been using archers since launch, and have not yet seen any issues. My only advice is, never have a stockpile that can take bolts that accepts bins.

I could get them to equip crossbows and quivers fine with both a custom and the default archer uniform, but never could get them to consistently equip the bolts (freshly made or old) from workshops or the stockpile w/o bins. Some equipped them to go attack the jungle titan but as soon as my melee soldiers had been killed by its iron wings those 2 or 3 stopped shooting and ran at it instead to die too. A fisherdwarf punched it in the head to death after dodging all the webs but it was way too late and I had 20 young kids with 7 adults left from 150. My elk bird industry had made me 4000 food but they all died along with my war elephant immediately.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Water is walkable at up to and including 3/7, everything else requires swimming.

That was it, thanks.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

I read somewhere that marksdwarves will always charge the enemy after they run out of ammo, so you have to enclose them behind fortifications and build a ceiling otherwise they'll climb over the fortifications to attack. I was in the middle of building a gigantic castle on the surface when I realized it was a waste of time, in the future I think I'm just going to build enclosed bunkers that also contain their barracks & archery ranges, so they can't engage in melee even if they want to.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

I feel as though I'm doing something different with worldgen settings than most people, and I'm not sure what. Some people seem to be at elevation -100+, but my first cavern layer is exactly 5 z-levels below the surface (which is at elevation 43), and my magma sea is elevation 12. I'm using very lightly altered default settings, so I'm not sure what the difference is.

Mr E posted:

I could get them to equip crossbows and quivers fine with both a custom and the default archer uniform, but never could get them to consistently equip the bolts (freshly made or old) from workshops or the stockpile w/o bins. Some equipped them to go attack the jungle titan but as soon as my melee soldiers had been killed by its iron wings those 2 or 3 stopped shooting and ran at it instead to die too. A fisherdwarf punched it in the head to death after dodging all the webs but it was way too late and I had 20 young kids with 7 adults left from 150. My elk bird industry had made me 4000 food but they all died along with my war elephant immediately.

Here's what I found trying to equip a crossbow squad:

1) There appear to be quite a few crashes when trying to interact with the squad menu. In particular, it was fairly (though not completely) easy to crash the game by trying to create a new squad without first appointing a militia captain.
2) If I set the squad to use the default "archer" uniform when creating the squad, they would equip bolts. Even if I immediately changed their uniform to another crossbow-using uniform they'd still equip bolts, even if I added new members after doing this. They continued to equip bolts and practice in the range I set up for years, and they used their crossbows in combat situations as well. However, when a member of the squad died, their replacement would not equip bolts until I remade the squad entirely again with the archer uniform selected on creation.

That was my experience with crossbow dwarves and the squad menu.

Edit: As a note I haven't seen the behavior of "charging the enemy with your crossbow when you still have bolts" yet, in fact I had my crossbow dwarves attacking a downed/incapacitated target and they stood a few feet away and continued to shoot bolts at it for quite some time until it died. No fortifications or barriers of any kind between them and the target.

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Dec 28, 2022

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Is there a known issue with Kea's and performance? My fortress of ~40 dwarves suddenly started staggering, so I was looking around to see what could've caused it, and the only thing I could find was an absolutely massive swarm of keas outside.
I know they steal things, so I was wondering if maybe they tried to look for paths into the fortress or something. In any case they left, and the performance seemed to get better, so I dunno.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

StarkRavingMad posted:

Picking up 1 of everything for barrels still works. But you can make rock pots now that are basically the same as barrels, so barrels are less of a concern than they were in the old days. I think the only thing rock pots don't work for is "process plant to barrel" for dwarven syrup, or for building a couple of workshops that specifically require a barrel.

I don't know how people are playing that they have more stone than wood on hand at any given time. Ever since the new big trees were implemented and legendary miners were "nerfed" I find it way easier to get a ton of wood. You also don't need wheelbarrows to haul it in a reasonable amount of time.

Magil Zeal posted:

I feel as though I'm doing something different with worldgen settings than most people, and I'm not sure what. Some people seem to be at elevation -100+, but my first cavern layer is exactly 5 z-levels below the surface (which is at elevation 43), and my magma sea is elevation 12. I'm using very lightly altered default settings, so I'm not sure what the difference is.

"Island" world templates (the default) generate with way more z-levels than "region" world templates. Personally I prefer fewer so I always use regions.

The Moon Monster fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Dec 28, 2022

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Broken Cog posted:

Is there a known issue with Kea's and performance? My fortress of ~40 dwarves suddenly started staggering, so I was looking around to see what could've caused it, and the only thing I could find was an absolutely massive swarm of keas outside.
I know they steal things, so I was wondering if maybe they tried to look for paths into the fortress or something. In any case they left, and the performance seemed to get better, so I dunno.

Pathing seems to be a huge fps hit. Had a dwarf stuck in a tree go into a strange mood and the game dropped to about 4 fpm. Took about 20 minutes for a woodcutter to get up there

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Magil Zeal posted:

Here's what I found trying to equip a crossbow squad:

1) There appear to be quite a few crashes when trying to interact with the squad menu. In particular, it was fairly (though not completely) easy to crash the game by trying to create a new squad without first appointing a militia captain.
2) If I set the squad to use the "archer" uniform when creating the squad, they would equip bolts. Even if I immediately changed their uniform to another crossbow-using uniform they'd still equip bolts, even if I added new members after doing this. They continued to equip bolts and practice in the range I set up for years, and they used their crossbows in combat situations as well. However, when a member of the squad died, their replacement would not equip bolts until I remade the squad entirely again with the archer uniform selected on creation.

That was my experience with crossbow dwarves and the squad menu.

Edit: As a note I haven't seen the behavior of "charging the enemy with your crossbow when you still have bolts" yet, in fact I had my crossbow dwarves attacking a downed/incapacitated target and they stood a few feet away and continued to shoot bolts at it for quite some time until it died. No fortifications or barriers of any kind between them and the target.

That has to be it then, I think I originally had that squad as a melee and swapped them to archers. I'll just recreate squads from now on for ranged.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Broken Cog posted:

Inefficient line of sight calculations, rather than pathfinding, is the current bottleneck. So lots of creatures outdoors can affect FPS, yeah.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

The Moon Monster posted:

"Island" world templates (the default) generate with way more z-levels than "region" world templates. Personally I prefer fewer so I always use regions.

That'd be it, I've been using regions since I figured so much ocean would be a waste. It's definitely a different experience not having quite as many z-levels to work with, I actually have to kind of build around the caverns.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
Well it took like three in-game years, but I achieved part of my goal for this fort.

A week or so ago I made a new world for the hell of it and poked around in Legends. I saw a demon with a hilarious name: Bilenuts the Ugly Mint Tongue. Read his history and it got even more hilarious. This dude LOVES wrestling and foot races. Dozens and dozens of wrestling competitions and foot races at the neighboring dwarf civ. He won every single one of them of course. He bonded with the dwarven king over their shared love of athletics. He bonded with a goblin over the same, then hired that goblin to lead armies to attack a different dwarf civ for several years and racked up like an 80 body count. Then went back to more wrestling.

Originally I wanted to settle near his dark fortress and the dwarf fortress he loved to wrestle at, which had sadly fallen to a forgotten beast. But then I saw a volcano half a world away and figure if I wanted Bilenuts to notice me, a temple to his oily glory at the top of a volcano was the key. So we got to work.

The bulk of the base is innocuous to the casual visitor. We have temple devoted to upstanding dwarven gods, statues devoted to The Gate of Hearts my dwarven civ (including, funny enough, the god that brought Bilenuts out of the Underworld to bind him to the material plane. I didn't put two and two together until one of my alunite statues to Berul came out as a statue of Bilenuts and Berul doing so, so my undercover demonic dwarven coven was already coming together via the game's RNG!)

As you go futher in, you start to see a lot more cobaltite and cinnabar and statues of a lizard demon named Bilenuts for some reason. Our Library and Throne Room are festooned with it. Our playroom for the dwarven children has colorful pink statues of a demon lord looming over the tots.

Then if you head up the stairs, allllll the way to the peak of the volcano, you get the real deal.

Ground floor of the temple to Bilenuts has dwarven wrestlers honing their craft 24/7 on a glass floor overlooking the volcano. There's a non-denominational temple just north of this where you can worship the gods of your choice (but let's be real here, you know who you came for).

The top floor is a bustling tavern loading with the finest drink, the finest gem-encrusted tables and chairs and musical instruments aplenty, with a great view of the Total Nonstop Dwarven Wrestling Action below.

So far Bilenuts hasn't come to visit. I don't even think wrestling competitions and foot races happen in game? Only in Legends? He did at some point declare war on my civ and has been taking out settlements back in the home office, leading armies in person. If he makes it all the way over here leading an army, I'll call that a successful mission. I'm going to send 50 oiled up beefcakes for the ultimate Royal Rumble if he does. Now we wait.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

The Moon Monster posted:

I don't know how people are playing that they have more stone than wood on hand at any given time. Ever since the new big trees were implemented and legendary miners were "nerfed" I find it way easier to get a ton of wood. You also don't need wheelbarrows to haul it in a reasonable amount of time.

Trees take years to grow back and decades to grow big enough to give harvests comparable to the initial one. You have a ton at first but there's way less wood on any given embark than there is stone.

TastyAvocado
Dec 9, 2009
On exactly the first day of the last two years (9 and 10 years after embarking) I suddenly had several dwarves and a bunch of animals fall over dead. Is this old age? It seems like they shouldn't suddenly die at once.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

If it's happening on exactly the first day of the year I imagine that is old age death.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

If you engrave slabs, it will tell you the cause of death.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Trees take years to grow back and decades to grow big enough to give harvests comparable to the initial one. You have a ton at first but there's way less wood on any given embark than there is stone.

Also my fortress is built deep underground and I generally have the outside world closed off unless the trade caravans are coming through. It’s still quick enough to get wood when I really need it but for rock I can just strip mine one of the many unused non-cavern levels and have an absolute poo poo ton of it at any time, instead of sending my dudes topside.

I also have a small indoor tree farm that provides enough for a little wood, so I really only need to go up and get wood if I’m doing some kind of project that needs water wheels or something like that.

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I guess if you mine out entire layers just to generate stone it's a lot more plentiful. I generally treat it as a byproduct of digging I was going to do anyway. Trees take awhile to grow back, but once you factor in cavern trees they still grow more quickly than I can use the wood. Maybe if I deployed somewhere with no coal and was using them to make steel it would be a different story. I also always ask caravans to bring as much wood as they can haul because it's basically free.

Speaking of mining out layers, aquifers are a lot easier to deal with than they used to be, EXCEPT the game desperately needs some way to place uncancelable digging designations. It's just not worth the annoyance of having to constantly babysit your miners if you want to dig extensively on an aquifer level.

The Moon Monster fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Dec 28, 2022

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I think I know the answer but I’m hoping I’m wrong. Is there a way to get mods added to an existing world? I don’t mean races or stuff, purely UI and graphical ones. I’ve added them, but the verbiage I’m seeing implies you have to start with them and I’m attached to this fortress. It also could be that they haven’t been updated to the latest Steam version, but I’m not sure how that works here vs the old ways of doing things.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Welp, I accidentally disbanded two of my squads while I was trying to remove a squad I made by mistake, and it was honestly more tempting to go back to the last autosave than to track everyone down again.
We really need a confirmation box on that button.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
What is the process for making friendly necromancers raise intelligent undead? I have a necromancer who is also a vampire currently sealed in his own special quarantine zone, and I would like to use him to reanimate a bunch of dead people I have in storage since apparently the intelligent undead are friendly and count as citizens. Do I just need to put him in the room with the corpses and then drop some kind of hostile creature in there so he thinks he's in combat?

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Mister Bates posted:

What is the process for making friendly necromancers raise intelligent undead? I have a necromancer who is also a vampire currently sealed in his own special quarantine zone, and I would like to use him to reanimate a bunch of dead people I have in storage since apparently the intelligent undead are friendly and count as citizens. Do I just need to put him in the room with the corpses and then drop some kind of hostile creature in there so he thinks he's in combat?

Pretty much, if a necromancer goes into combat they have a very high chance of reanimating any nearby corpses/corpse parts. I wouldn't count on this working to your advantage, but it's possible. I think it's essentially random whether they create intelligent undead, although I believe some necromancers don't have the ability to do this as part of the particular secrets of life and death that they've learned.

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

Since the crash death of my previous fort I’m really digging 2x2 embarks! I also found some unicorns… they killed a bunch of dogs :/

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Danger room is it still a thing? Ive started preparing one next to my hospital.

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

Affi posted:

Danger room is it still a thing? Ive started preparing one next to my hospital.

According to the wiki they aren’t that great now… at least not like they were 10+ years ago.

In my last fort I set everyone to train 3 on/3 off and in just a few years I had legendary dudes all over.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Mister Bates posted:

Pretty much, yes. Ideally you want some sort of "Reanimation Chamber" containing the Necromancer, a bunch of corpses within about 15 tiles of the Necromancer, and a hostile creature contained safely in another room with windows or vertical bars to allow line of sight. For added style, put the hostile behind a small raised drawbridge to block vision, so you can lower it when you're ready to freak out the Necromancer and have them resurrect a fresh batch of stiffs.

Be warned, it's likely that instead of intelligent thralls you'll raise up some mindless zombie that will kill anything living they can get their hands on. It's a good idea to put the corpses in a sealed chamber, also visible to the Necromancer via windows or bars because the magic works over line of sight, but safely contained in case things go awry. And be SURE to keep this whole operation far away from any butchers, tanners, refuse stockpiles or tombs.

Asterite34 fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Dec 28, 2022

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Dr. Clockwork posted:

Well it took like three in-game years, but I achieved part of my goal for this fort.

A week or so ago I made a new world for the hell of it and poked around in Legends. I saw a demon with a hilarious name: Bilenuts the Ugly Mint Tongue. Read his history and it got even more hilarious. This dude LOVES wrestling and foot races. Dozens and dozens of wrestling competitions and foot races at the neighboring dwarf civ. He won every single one of them of course. He bonded with the dwarven king over their shared love of athletics. He bonded with a goblin over the same, then hired that goblin to lead armies to attack a different dwarf civ for several years and racked up like an 80 body count. Then went back to more wrestling.

Originally I wanted to settle near his dark fortress and the dwarf fortress he loved to wrestle at, which had sadly fallen to a forgotten beast. But then I saw a volcano half a world away and figure if I wanted Bilenuts to notice me, a temple to his oily glory at the top of a volcano was the key. So we got to work.

The bulk of the base is innocuous to the casual visitor. We have temple devoted to upstanding dwarven gods, statues devoted to The Gate of Hearts my dwarven civ (including, funny enough, the god that brought Bilenuts out of the Underworld to bind him to the material plane. I didn't put two and two together until one of my alunite statues to Berul came out as a statue of Bilenuts and Berul doing so, so my undercover demonic dwarven coven was already coming together via the game's RNG!)

As you go futher in, you start to see a lot more cobaltite and cinnabar and statues of a lizard demon named Bilenuts for some reason. Our Library and Throne Room are festooned with it. Our playroom for the dwarven children has colorful pink statues of a demon lord looming over the tots.

Then if you head up the stairs, allllll the way to the peak of the volcano, you get the real deal.

Ground floor of the temple to Bilenuts has dwarven wrestlers honing their craft 24/7 on a glass floor overlooking the volcano. There's a non-denominational temple just north of this where you can worship the gods of your choice (but let's be real here, you know who you came for).

The top floor is a bustling tavern loading with the finest drink, the finest gem-encrusted tables and chairs and musical instruments aplenty, with a great view of the Total Nonstop Dwarven Wrestling Action below.

So far Bilenuts hasn't come to visit. I don't even think wrestling competitions and foot races happen in game? Only in Legends? He did at some point declare war on my civ and has been taking out settlements back in the home office, leading armies in person. If he makes it all the way over here leading an army, I'll call that a successful mission. I'm going to send 50 oiled up beefcakes for the ultimate Royal Rumble if he does. Now we wait.

demonic kumite suspended over a volcano but no trapdoor to drop the losers in? 0/10

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Dr. Clockwork posted:

<snip>

This is a thing of beauty.