Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth
lmao he’s talking about doing another terminator in that article, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

Does it tickle when your Body Thetans flap their wings, eh Beatrice?
Let's just say that's the Covid fever talking.

I'm OK with the immune response to humans being stronger in some parts of the planet versus others - if Eywa activated the fauna in that particular area, they might have stayed adverse to humans, while other parts of the planet weren't given that instruction.

Kiri's spirit-bending might become extremely over-powered, though, so I guess they'll have to nerf her with seizures or perhaps she'll be fought by evil spirit-bender agents inside the Tel'aran'rhiod Matrix.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

….
Like, if the film were about the colonial project, people wouldn't forget that the water people are turbofucked at the end. They're certainly now as big a priority target as the forest people, but without any of protections (military training, swarms of dragons, etc.). Helicopters buzz around the ocean with impunity, and they have zero anti-aircraft capabilities. And what even happened to the forest people anyways? The film simply isn't about the Navis - their subjective experience, their fate, etc.

Zero anti aircraft capability? Neytiri isn’t running out is arrows anytime soon. And now she can make a new bow out of space whale bones.

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

Tom Guycot posted:

Based on the way Lo'ak was really jazzed about the rifles, I'm going to guess there was some very specific stuff about Lo'ak geeking out over a gun maybe his dad's, playing with it, or something. Maybe even that pulse rifle scene between hicks and ripley in Aliens, only with Jake and his son.

What irks me is that this talking point is very reminiscent of the culture wars of the 90s and early 00s where conservatives were aggressively pushing the idea that violent movies, violent video games, and certain kinds of music were responsible for violent crime and shootings. It was bullshit then and its bullshit now, but for whatever reason this 'glorification of violence in media' talking point has been making a bit of a comeback in some sections of the left.

Anyways, I'll take 2 tickets for John Wick 4, please.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
i think SMG's points are generally correct. i could see them, and some of the other oddities in TWOW's story, having being answered in that film we never saw. why didn't eywa respond to the humans returning en masse? or did eywa respond, and something happened? does kiri's existence as eywa's avatar maybe weaken the planet-mind? how did tonowari seem to know of jake and "his war" yet not seem to care about it in the slightest even though the stakes should be pretty clear and eywa itself intervened?

having read bits of that high ground script-turned-comic, it feels a little bit more like i would've expected avatar 2 to be. and it's a little odd how so much of it is present unchanged but also, like, welded to a completely different film. jake's whole arc of learning that he can't run away but needs to fight back feels rather undercooked. there's a lot of weak bits and missing info that i wouldn't say is critical to understanding the story, but makes it really messy.

like, you could easily do something like: the ships coming down burnt away eywa's ability to tell what's going on (in avatar 1, the trees are mentioned as conducting eywa's signals), jake and eywa fought back and lost, maybe eywa thought too much of the biosphere was being spent for no gain, and so on. then, much like jake at the end of the film, eywa itself could realize that it was all-or-nothing. that, or tie it a bit more explicitly to kiri.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
In avatar 1, Neytiri tells Jake that Eywa does not take sides. Of course she did later act to wreck some sky people but this may be more of a rare occurrence like some of earthly Gods biblical acts (great flood). The immunity response in that region is like a reprogramming of those creatures for security in the region of that spirit tree.

I also think each spirit tree could have its own Eywa. The water tribe has none of immunity response as noted, but it does have the whales who play the same role (don’t take sides, but then one does).

Finally it seems Eywa (at lest one of them) may be evolving from human interaction. First the avatar 1 attack, then the immune response, and now Kiri to act as Eywa Avatar. So maybe Eywa is soft immune responses everywhere to letting Kiri decide (controlling those sea plants and jellys).

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Horizon Burning posted:

i think SMG's points are generally correct. i could see them, and some of the other oddities in TWOW's story, having being answered in that film we never saw. why didn't eywa respond to the humans returning en masse? or did eywa respond, and something happened? does kiri's existence as eywa's avatar maybe weaken the planet-mind? how did tonowari seem to know of jake and "his war" yet not seem to care about it in the slightest even though the stakes should be pretty clear and eywa itself intervened?

having read bits of that high ground script-turned-comic, it feels a little bit more like i would've expected avatar 2 to be. and it's a little odd how so much of it is present unchanged but also, like, welded to a completely different film. jake's whole arc of learning that he can't run away but needs to fight back feels rather undercooked. there's a lot of weak bits and missing info that i wouldn't say is critical to understanding the story, but makes it really messy.

like, you could easily do something like: the ships coming down burnt away eywa's ability to tell what's going on (in avatar 1, the trees are mentioned as conducting eywa's signals), jake and eywa fought back and lost, maybe eywa thought too much of the biosphere was being spent for no gain, and so on. then, much like jake at the end of the film, eywa itself could realize that it was all-or-nothing. that, or tie it a bit more explicitly to kiri.

I think Eywa does fight back, which is why the humans torched the landing area for miles around with antimater engines, and their city is overkill compared to their original base with like a mile wide barrier of dead earth and is ringed with huge walls and autogun turrets.

Eywa can have animals attack helicopters and people out in her land, but sending a herd of rhinos and birds across a mile of no man's land is just going to have a lot of dead animals with the new preparations the humans have made.

Its interesting that some of the elements of the original 1995 avatar treatment show up in this one. In that treatment the animals constantly attacked the settlement, which was the need for so many guns and fences, and why pandora was seen as so dangerous of a planet. Near the end of the treatment the humans realize its so dangerous and they're constantly being attacked because the planet is basically having an immune response to the humans and trying to fight it off, which they directly mention in TWOW. The treatment also has other imports from pandora besides just unobtanium (and explains that 'unobtanium' is actually in universe a joke name given to it that just kind of stuck, which makes me laugh considering how many people attacked the first film for the name of it being a joke lol) including biological stuff like miracle cures harvested from the planet, which is a little similar to the whale adrenochrome.

I hope they bring in some more stuff from that treatment though, as theres some crazy poo poo I would love to see in avatar 3,4, or 5, including trees that look dead and when you get too close grab you and eat you, trees that fire poison darts, giant jellyfish the size of blimps that fill themselves with hydrogen and float in the sky, dangling thin tentacles down to grab unsuspecting creatures, and a batshit animal who's head is a separate creature that grows bodies as children and throw their flying heads which have a sharp horn, like a spear to kill other animals.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

The god-like planetary intelligence's intentions need to be simple and clearly communicated to the audience.

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

There's only so much expository dialogue that I'm willing to tolerate - that marine biologist narrating the whale hunt was already a bit much.

There are bits of exposition about the immune response though - Spider paints himself blue to make the wildlife less hostile to him - or so he claims. The general says that the copters get attacked in the Hallelujah Mountains more than in other places. The cities are surrounded with desolate areas. Keep in mind though that there are humans (avatar pilots) in the insurgency base, and they are tolerated, even though they mostly stay hidden inside the airlock.

Vir posted:

Avatar made 8 million more than expected domestically over the Christmas weekend, despite the winter storm.
Variety: Box Office: ‘Avatar 2’ Scores $90 Million Over Holiday Weekend, ‘Babylon’ Bombs at Christmas

Actual number was over 95 million domestic for the 4-day weekend: Christmas Delivers Box Office Miracle For ‘Avatar: The Way Of Water‘ Despite Winter Weather: James Cameron Sequel Finals At $95.5M+ 2nd Weekend

quote:

Meanwhile, Avatar 2 has now earned $105.5M in IMAX global box office in less than two weeks — the fastest film to hit the $100M mark in IMAX since April 2019. James Cameron’s epic sci-fi sequel is only the 9th film in IMAX history to exceed $100 million in global box office. To date, IMAX has accounted for 11.4% of the film’s global gross on only a fraction of its total screens.

King poo poo:
https://twitter.com/hollywoodhandle/status/1607758270072238081

chibi luda
Apr 17, 2013

I see you, Brazilian makeshift hammock man

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
Dolby 3D is absolutely the best way to see this movie. Ive seen it now in all possible 3D formats and my god Dolby shines with this movie.

It even slightly changed my opinions on the HFR, the framerate shifts are way way way smoother in Dolby.

I still wish the whole movie was HFR.

And this movie just gets better everytime I see it. Cameron you magnificent bastard.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I want to see the movie in 180 degree 120hz volumetric (lightfield or whatever) in a wide FOV, HDR capable headset. gently caress me up, Jim.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

SCheeseman posted:

I want to see the movie in 120hz volumetric (lightfield or whatever) in a wide FOV, HDR capable headset. gently caress me up, Jim.

It actually kind of blows my mind they haven't made any kind of Avatar VR experience. Its probably the most thematically appropriate IP to create one for.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Google's lightfield video demos still blow my mind. It's a shame more haven't seen them, they're inaccessible enough that most people don't even know that it's a thing or that it exists. It's one of those glimpse at the future moments for me, holodeck kind of stuff. But it's gigabytes for 15 second clips of things like ocean waves hitting a beach so I understand why a 3 hour movie might not be doable yet.

For anyone with a PCVR capable setup, all, like, one of you:
https://augmentedperception.github.io/deepviewvideo/

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Dec 28, 2022

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

AccountSupervisor posted:

It actually kind of blows my mind they haven't made any kind of Avatar VR experience. Its probably the most thematically appropriate IP to create one for.

It's called Avatar 2.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The Avatar ride at Animal Kingdom is absurdly popular, according to that friggin documentary-length Defunctland video on Fastpass I watched anyway.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I really liked the part where the guy's arm gets chopped off.

chibi luda
Apr 17, 2013

The Dril Jack Nicholson profile pic but it’s the marine Avatar wearing Oakleys

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I do get the impression there was meant to be a bit more emphasis on the Sully kids learning to shoot, then they realised what it looks like encouraging teenage boys to use guns.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

i will accept apologies from ppl itt on behalf of jim

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

From a purely internet presence, The Way of Water seems to be getting more art and memes than the first Avatar did. https://twitter.com/eriimyon/status/1607613326112206849

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

hell, I wish they'd have cut out more!

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

Tekne posted:

From a purely internet presence, The Way of Water seems to be getting more art and memes than the first Avatar did.
Some of it might be commissioned as marketing, but I also see some fan artists making it on their own initiative.
https://twitter.com/hou_jae04/status/1604430110752284672
On that note:
https://twitter.com/the_snickman/status/1605021305413279746

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Have any of these Twitter imbeciles seen community theater? You get people of all types in ok costumes pretending to be things they aren't all the time, and it works just fine.

"Oh ho ho you won't believe this but the guy playing D'Artagnan's father in The Three Musketeers was only 4 years older than him in this play I saw!" Is this where the discourse is at on that stupid site?

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

I don't think they're seriously criticizing the movie, just having fun with the fact that Sigorney Weaver is playing a teenager, and that it works due to technology.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Saw the movie and enjoyed it quite a bit. Well done, not perfect, but satisfying and beautiful. King Cameron reigns supreme.

Looking forward to Avatar 4.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
https://twitter.com/culturecrave/status/1608071145865240577?s=46&t=5di_oV1ZbGxGKXY7YcwIsA

1 billion baby

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Didn't they say they needed to make 2b dollars to break even? That seems insane for a dozen reasons, even with crooked rear end hollywood accounting, I don't know how you could just say you're banking on being a top 5 earning film of all time otherwise you're losing money. Thats an insane gamble and how could that be the break even point anyways, wasn't the budget ~350m? Did they spend 1.5 billion on advertising?

I just don't get hollywood math.

FacelessVoid
Jul 8, 2009
My guess is they think in terms of opportunity costs not just raw profits. Films are an investment. If you can spend the same money on 2-3 safe Marvel films and make the same money or more then it doesn't make sense to make more Avatars.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
As I understand it, the "1.9B to break even" thing is just Hollywood accounting, kind of like if they had said Fellowship of the Ring needed to make 700 million to break even - because they included all of the already-completed shooting costs for the sequels into the budget.

FacelessVoid posted:

My guess is they think in terms of opportunity costs not just raw profits. Films are an investment. If you can spend the same money on 2-3 safe Marvel films and make the same money or more then it doesn't make sense to make more Avatars.

I have the feeling that we might see some actual Marvel disappointments this year, based purely on the fact that the Quantumania trailer got audible groans from the audience I was sitting in and my own circle of friends are completely over and totally disengaged from this plot arc, but you know the story - anecdotes aren't data.

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

FacelessVoid posted:

Or US Treasury bonds for that matter. I took that statement from Cameron to mean two billion for good success, not just marginally break-even. Thanks to inflation, and the fact that a high percentage of the tickets are for IMAX and other premium screens, AtWoW might become one of the top five grossing movies in nominal terms without ranking highly in the adjusted top list.

Hollywood accounting is a black art anyway, since the budget includes money paid to other Disney entities. New Zealand is also bound to pay back some incentives. The technology and set building also can be re-used in the sequels, so this is also an investment.

Vir fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Dec 28, 2022

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

Tom Guycot posted:

wasn't the budget ~350m? Did they spend 1.5 billion on advertising?
460 million, but no way did they spend the same amount on the marketing. The short-hand “marketing budget is the same as the production budget” doesn’t really apply to really big or really small movies. You’re also forgetting that the theaters get a cut of the ticket price. The box-office prognosticators tend to assume that the theater gets 50%, but again for big movies like this one that doesn’t necessarily apply. For big releases, Disney might be taking a much higher cut in the first few weekends, and the theater gets a higher cut later this in its run. But on the other hand, Disney might not be able to drive as hard a bargain as they did for the Star Wars movies, so they might not be taking 80%(?) in the first week.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

I took his comment of the $2b needed has more to do with all of the plans for future projects. 15 years ago when The Golden Compass came out, it underperformed and New Line dropped the rest of the trilogy. Alita: Battle Angel "underperformed" but the corporate line still seems to be that it isn't worth it to make more sequels. Avatar 3 is already well underway but if TWoW had eaten poo poo (or suddenly starts to eat poo poo) then it may have just gone to streaming instead of getting a big theatrical release.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that Cameron has a lot of projects ongoing but there are metrics he has to meet to get approval for them, TWoW crossing $2b being one of them

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Aces High posted:

I took his comment of the $2b needed has more to do with all of the plans for future projects. 15 years ago when The Golden Compass came out, it underperformed and New Line dropped the rest of the trilogy. Alita: Battle Angel "underperformed" but the corporate line still seems to be that it isn't worth it to make more sequels. Avatar 3 is already well underway but if TWoW had eaten poo poo (or suddenly starts to eat poo poo) then it may have just gone to streaming instead of getting a big theatrical release.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that Cameron has a lot of projects ongoing but there are metrics he has to meet to get approval for them, TWoW crossing $2b being one of them

We're getting Avatar 3 for sure. It's been in a post for a bit now. It's 4 and 5 that aren't a sure thing, despite the first act of Avatar 4 being shot already.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

teagone posted:

We're getting Avatar 3 for sure. It's been in a post for a bit now. It's 4 and 5 that aren't a sure thing, despite the first act of Avatar 4 being shot already.

It wasn’t the full act was it? I thought it was certain shots with the kids they wanted to get now before actual motion capture for 4 starts since it’s were a few years away and they’ll be grown up some by then.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

It wasn’t the full act was it? I thought it was certain shots with the kids they wanted to get now before actual motion capture for 4 starts since it’s were a few years away and they’ll be grown up some by then.

Recent interviews during their press junket runs had Cameron and Landau (the producer) both say that roughly the first third or so has already been shot for part 4. Previous written articles had mentioned only certain scenes with the kids were photographed, but never mentioned how many scenes that entailed.

[edit] Here's one interview I found, where Cameron says they essentially shot 2.5 movies back-to-back during the first leg of production (2017 to whenever filming wrapped)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDUzhQtbYV4

[edit 2] John Landau at the premiere of TWOW said they've completed most of the fliming for part 3 (guessing they have pick-ups) and that the first act of part 4 has completed filming:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_y4QjioF-Y&t=87s

There are several other instances I remember watching other interviews during TWOW press junkets where they say the same, but can't remember which ones specifically.

teagone fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Dec 28, 2022

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

It's sort of funny that 2 only just came out and we already know that 4 will star most of the same kids/72 year olds and that there'll be a timeskip.

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

The timeskip is when the kids travel to Earth.

Lord Wexia
Sep 27, 2005

Boo zombie apocalypse.
Hooray beer!

Vir posted:

460 million, but no way did they spend the same amount on the marketing. The short-hand “marketing budget is the same as the production budget” doesn’t really apply to really big or really small movies. You’re also forgetting that the theaters get a cut of the ticket price. The box-office prognosticators tend to assume that the theater gets 50%, but again for big movies like this one that doesn’t necessarily apply. For big releases, Disney might be taking a much higher cut in the first few weekends, and the theater gets a higher cut later this in its run. But on the other hand, Disney might not be able to drive as hard a bargain as they did for the Star Wars movies, so they might not be taking 80%(?) in the first week.

Studio take for almost every big film in 2022 has been between 60%-65%. This has increased a fair amount post pandemic, but on the flip side the studios have been less demanding on how many shows per day and such exhibitors are required to run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Vir posted:

I don't think they're seriously criticizing the movie, just having fun with the fact that Sigorney Weaver is playing a teenager, and that it works due to technology.

Yeah a lot of classic kids animation has characters that are voiced by older ladies. Believe it.