Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!

Cyrano4747 posted:

The problem with the bolter is how long it takes to ready. When I’m trying to oh gently caress delete a dog or poxburser etc it’s unacceptable to fiddle gently caress the action for ten seconds, and even when I’m sniping something across the map it’s annoying as gently caress and half the time you end up needing to blow half the mag into the handful of walkers that came up to you while you got your gun ready.

Fast ready is 100% necessary on a zealot elite deleter.
It's true that I occasionally wish I had a faster ranged weapon, like if there's a horde in my face and oh poo poo there's also a sniper that no one else can deal with right now, but for me that gets outweighed by the times I'm really glad to have the bolter on me when there's big hordes with a whole bunch of crushers, bulwarks and maulers in them, which are quite common on damnation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I definitely think there's a difference between Malice and Heresy/Damnation where you just have to rely on your team to do their part and you need to do your part. Zealot can clear rooms pretty well, but aren't as good at taking out the hordes of shooters that pretty much everyone agrees is the most dangerous. For dog/burster, you at Heresy/Damnation, you should be pretty good at dodging/blocking, so if they are close you should be fine and if they are far others should be able to handle. And when that elite density gets up there, being able to just delete it all is really important.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Exodee posted:

It's true that I occasionally wish I had a faster ranged weapon, like if there's a horde in my face and oh poo poo there's also a sniper that no one else can deal with right now, but for me that gets outweighed by the times I'm really glad to have the bolter on me when there's big hordes with a whole bunch of crushers, bulwarks and maulers in them, which are quite common on damnation.

It's not as good an answer as bolter, but to the autogun's credit, the temporary armor-piercing from your F ability is generally good for deleting a Crusher and/or some maulers/scab ragers. Bulwarks are still an issue but you're not completely naked.

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!

Internet Explorer posted:

I definitely think there's a difference between Malice and Heresy/Damnation where you just have to rely on your team to do their part and you need to do your part. Zealot can clear rooms pretty well, but aren't as good at taking out the hordes of shooters that pretty much everyone agrees is the most dangerous. For dog/burster, you at Heresy/Damnation, you should be pretty good at dodging/blocking, so if they are close you should be fine and if they are far others should be able to handle. And when that elite density gets up there, being able to just delete it all is really important.
Yeah this is basically where I'm at. The bolters ability to just delete a whole bunch of elites/ogryns in one magdump is just incredibly clutch, which outweighs its awkwardness with recoil and weapon swapping for me on damnation. Though again, this is only really a concern on damnation, on heresy I'll gladly take that shotgun or revolver instead.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I managed to get level 30 on one character and 27 on another without ever getting blown off a ledge by another player and then today it happened 3 levels in a row, twice to my instant death, cause of someone blowing up a barrel. In one case I actually got blown off a ledge and I guess close enough to another ledge to be hanging off it but the ledge I was hanging off was in an area that looked inaccessible.

I couldn't even be that annoyed, it felt like some sort of small cosmic joke.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
They should make it so that if you disturb the demonhost it will eventually agro unless you get to the next section of the map.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

I once got knocked back in such a way that I ended up hanging off of a roof an entire story up from where I was. The team managed to find a way up there, but they still couldn't rescue me for whatever reason.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Not mine, was posted in discord.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
Being able to quick swap to the Revolver and kill a Sniper while actively fighting a horde gives it a huge amount of points imo.

I've tried using the flamer and while it is cool as hell I really miss the ability to delete specials at range. I think if Psyker had a better skill tree my friend might be able to go gun wizard but as it stands he really has to use the bolt staff

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Cythereal posted:

I'm still experimenting with different classes, but I'm leaning towards zealot as my favorite. Veteran feels like it just doesn't carry enough ammo. Although teammates hogging the ammo might have been part of the problem.

Really? I always felt like the Veteran had more than enough ammo compared to the other classes, but I guess it depends on the gun - I use the Kantrael XII on my Vet.

Tibbeh
Apr 5, 2010

Typical Pubbie posted:

They should have made the Bolter a braced weapon.

The revolver really struggles on Heresy+. It's great on Malice, though.

e: One of the downsides to the revolver that isn't immediately apparent is that it does poo poo damage to maniacs. It's bad against trappers and flamers, enemies you want to drop quickly so you can deal with the horde.

I dunno, it one taps flamers and trappers to the face without any issue

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Schneider Inside Her posted:

Being able to quick swap to the Revolver and kill a Sniper while actively fighting a horde gives it a huge amount of points imo.

I've tried using the flamer and while it is cool as hell I really miss the ability to delete specials at range. I think if Psyker had a better skill tree my friend might be able to go gun wizard but as it stands he really has to use the bolt staff

Me too.

I've seen Zealots do some excellent work with the flamer, and I guess if you wanted to go single target/thunder hammer with melee it has a good usecase but I just can't get past it's downsides. It's slow, it can't do poo poo at range, it puts you at the mercy of scab/dreg shooters and you can't see anything past the fire, which leaves you vulnerable to sudden changes in enemy composition. Like it's satisfying to use, but so is the bolter, and that doesn't have most of the other problems.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Sorry, right now my ranged weapon is my crit curio.

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

The flamer has surprisingly long reach and owns bones. It's slow as gently caress to take out so gotta really be aware of positioning and timing. As for far away ranged enemies the 3 vets on your team will take care of them

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

also helps tp be rocking this absolute unit lol

the crit procs the 75% toughness talent and the 25% flak always hits on flak'd enemies

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Do you find yourself using primary fire often? Or would you change out that blessing if you could.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

My greatest fear is that, when I finally get On Overwatch, it will immediately be nerfed and I will have developed PTSD from the "you're about to get melee'd" sound effect for nothing.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
Abhor the Mutant is driving me batty. My zealot is level 20 and I think I need to either farm it on T1/T2 or just wait until 30 with an endgame melee so I can one shot muties on T3.

So tired of charging a heavy axe attack, hitting F, and requiring TWO heavy attacks to kill it. Or my pubbie teammates deleting it with 5 seconds of it spawning.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

I've given up on trying for the On Overwatch penance. Even when I've made it to the final battle in any given map, I've always needed to do something to help my team, whether that's wading into a melee, or carrying something heavy, or fixing a data interrogator, or helping a downed teammate up. That inevitably leads to taking a couple of melee hits. C'est la vie. The alternative would be to play selfishly, and that just feels lovely.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Anti-Hero posted:

Abhor the Mutant is driving me batty. My zealot is level 20 and I think I need to either farm it on T1/T2 or just wait until 30 with an endgame melee so I can one shot muties on T3.

So tired of charging a heavy axe attack, hitting F, and requiring TWO heavy attacks to kill it. Or my pubbie teammates deleting it with 5 seconds of it spawning.

Charged thunder hammer heavy one shots them on difficulty 3

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

Charged thunder hammer heavy one shots them on difficulty 3

ORly? I’ll buy the next one I see in the shop.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

Arc Light posted:

I've given up on trying for the On Overwatch penance. Even when I've made it to the final battle in any given map, I've always needed to do something to help my team, whether that's wading into a melee, or carrying something heavy, or fixing a data interrogator, or helping a downed teammate up. That inevitably leads to taking a couple of melee hits. C'est la vie. The alternative would be to play selfishly, and that just feels lovely.

My advice is not to try for it. Just play on Malice and do the best you can. Eventually you'll get a team that's so good you'll breeze through a mission and the penance will unexpectedly pop up. That's what happened to me.

Alternatively, never stop charging your power sword and whirlwind attack your way through the entire level.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Arc Light posted:

Yeah, absolutely this has been my experience too. Like, I feel with achievements, the best achievements are the ones where like, you throw a grenade, and it lands in a paint can, and physics knocks the paint can so it's actually lying upsidedown on the ground, and then the grenade goes off and propels the paint can into space and you go "Ha!" And then a little thing pops up saying "The ISS looks better in blue" or whatever, and it's like, "Ha! They saw me!"

I dont much like this kind so much. When it's just tracking a thing you're obviously doing anyway, it's kinda cool to see milestones. But I feel like if I pull this off, it won't be an achievement, not a little celebration, more so just random chance.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Arc Light posted:

The last few times I almost had it, the run was hosed by a teammate doing something really stupid or a singular teleporting enemy. Feels bad, man.

Typical Pubbie posted:

My advice is not to try for it. Just play on Malice and do the best you can. Eventually you'll get a team that's so good you'll breeze through a mission and the penance will unexpectedly pop up. That's what happened to me.

Alternatively, never stop charging your power sword and whirlwind attack your way through the entire level.

I've tried both, but even when I was on a team with three well-armed, elite vet operators, and we ground everything into paste for the first half of the map, somehow everything turned to poo poo in the latter half.

SplitSoul fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Dec 28, 2022

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!

Anti-Hero posted:

I think that with chain weapons the special attack doesn't actually give you the achievement even if you kill it. (I'm guessing only the first damage tick counts?) When I swapped to an Antax axe I got it immediately lol

edit: Oh wait, I misread your post. Ah well hope it's useful for any eviscerator users out there

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Exodee posted:

I think that with chain weapons the special attack doesn't actually give you the achievement even if you kill it. (I'm guessing only the first damage tick counts?) When I swapped to an Antax axe I got it immediately lol

edit: Oh wait, I misread your post. Ah well hope it's useful for any eviscerator users out there

To my knowledge this is correct, only the first tick of damage with the chain sword counts. Kinda BS

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

thebardyspoon posted:

I managed to get level 30 on one character and 27 on another without ever getting blown off a ledge by another player and then today it happened 3 levels in a row, twice to my instant death, cause of someone blowing up a barrel. In one case I actually got blown off a ledge and I guess close enough to another ledge to be hanging off it but the ledge I was hanging off was in an area that looked inaccessible.

They really gotta tone down the explosive force of those things. Lost runs cause i got thrown into the abyss

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

thebardyspoon posted:

Last night I was playing with a >25 Ogryn who insisted on smacking every loving explosive barrel they walked by without fail. poo poo was loving aggravating. Unsurprisingly, the run failed at the train station boss.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

AndyElusive posted:

Last night I was playing with a >25 Ogryn who insisted on smacking every loving explosive barrel they walked by without fail. poo poo was loving aggravating. Unsurprisingly, the run failed at the train station boss.

Let me guess, the Ogryn switched to shooting at the boss

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Yeah I mean, I have a contract to finish 3 missions without someone dying which I thought would be pretty easy honestly, not so much with these homicidal randos.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

What's in store for me if I ever get to try for the helmet with the mouthguard? Is there another, even more bullshit penance required? Like On Overwatch, but it has to be on Heresy or some poo poo?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Exploding barrels are no joke, I've been flung into the depths by one several times now. There really needs to be a loading screen tip or something saying that you shouldn't blow them up just for fun.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Enjoy posted:

Let me guess, the Ogryn switched to shooting at the boss

That role was taken by the veteran and the sparky sitting at the other end of the room. The barrel-hitting Ogryn was the only one meleeing the boss with me. Guess the boss looked cylindrical enough.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

If I have a weapon with high ammo I just shoot barrels from a distance before we can get up to them. they’re way more of a liability than a potential benefit.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

SplitSoul posted:

What's in store for me if I ever get to try for the helmet with the mouthguard? Is there another, even more bullshit penance required? Like On Overwatch, but it has to be on Heresy or some poo poo?

I think that requires the 100% accuracy and no ammo by the end of the mission penance, no?

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

If I have a weapon with high ammo I just shoot barrels from a distance before we can get up to them. they’re way more of a liability than a potential benefit.

:emptyquote:

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

Might as well, I don't think they even damage enemies all that much, do they? They're kind of a trap

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

Internet Explorer posted:

Do you find yourself using primary fire often? Or would you change out that blessing if you could.

No. Will definitely be changing the blessing when possible

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

The quality of pubbies in Heresy has definitely gone hill sharply. I'm not going to say bots are better, because they're not, but I'm really not sure how people are ending up here without having even the slightest hint of game sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
My win rate on Damnation is probably better than Heresy. Heresy is when game sense and good gear really become a requirement. It's the crucible for a lot of players.