Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What do you think of the new international distribution deal?
This poll is closed.
Hate it 12 16.90%
REALLY hate it 16 22.54%
Hello, my name is Bob Chapek 43 60.56%
Total: 71 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Rochallor posted:

In terms of story quality Twelve is great, he's pretty handily my favorite Doctor. But there was a pretty steep decline in viewership during the Capaldi era that continued into Whitaker, which is what people are referring to I think.

Ordinarily I would be much more skeptical of the whole Ten nostalgia tour and Disney partnership (and I still am!) but the show loving sucks at this point and Chibnall didn't develop any talent who could conceivably carry on after him, so whatever I guess. It's not like they could make it any worse.

People said that about star wars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

ikanreed posted:

People said that about star wars

I am genuinely impressed that Disney managed to make Star Wars so bad that it made people think fondly of the prequels.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006
Bringing tennant back for a few episodes isn't going to stop the decline. Quality and quantity are the only things that will do that.
The past 2 doctors have been in the role for roughly the same time as others, but have had less than half the screen time. Poor quality of stories on top hasn't helped.
Everyone I know who saw the trailer at Xmas was " huh, new who in Jan then? - what, November! What was the point of that then".

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Random Stranger posted:

I am genuinely impressed that Disney managed to make Star Wars so bad that it made people think fondly of the prequels.

I mean, the prequels were great, and one notable exception aside, Disney's been kicking rear end with Star Wars lately. Recent doctor who reception has been rather tepid, even once you lay aside the sexist "The Doctur Haz A Vagina!!!!" Screechers

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

Random Stranger posted:

On the internet, maybe but not in the actual real world. People loved Force Awakens, but their sequels pretty much faded from collective (non-terminally online) memory.
The Mandalorian is a massive hit, Baby Yoda an instant sensation and pretty much made Disney+ what it is right now. Andor is one of the best TV things this year.
Despite the quality of Obi-Wan and Book Of Boba, Disney has hardly made Star Wars "bad".

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Disney had planned to do one Star Wars movie every year, so the fact they have basically abandoned the cinematic element of the franchise for the foreseeable future should be a pretty clear indicator that things haven't exactly been going to plan for the House of Mouse with that particular IP

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Disney had planned to do one Star Wars movie every year, so the fact they have basically abandoned the cinematic element of the franchise for the foreseeable future should be a pretty clear indicator that things haven't exactly been going to plan for the House of Mouse with that particular IP

I mean, that's true but they're making very popular shows on Disney +, so it's not like the ship has sunk either.

Trying to put out a Star Wars movie every year was a mistake because the movies are built in a way that's hard to make well every year (even the shows barely manage to be yearly) and they soured the well with Rise Of Skywalker (a film that I believe no one likes, but non-nerdy audience just sort of forgot about). But there are still popular cartoons and video games still coming out! The new Jedi Order sequel trailer was one of the most awaited things at the last Game Awards. The movies are in a slump, but Star Wars overall isn't really in trouble.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Yannick_B posted:

I mean, that's true but they're making very popular shows on Disney +, so it's not like the ship has sunk either.

Trying to put out a Star Wars movie every year was a mistake because the movies are built in a way that's hard to make well every year (even the shows barely manage to be yearly) and they soured the well with Rise Of Skywalker (a film that I believe no one likes, but non-nerdy audience just sort of forgot about). But there are still popular cartoons and video games still coming out! The new Jedi Order sequel trailer was one of the most awaited things at the last Game Awards. The movies are in a slump, but Star Wars overall isn't really in trouble.

The problem is that the TV shows, cartoons, and video games aren't where Disney makes their money when it comes to Star Wars, though. That's merchandising and movies, and the idea was that SW was a big enough franchise that it would handily support one SW movie per year (aka "they'll watch any old poo poo as long as it says Star Wars on it"; which, until recent years, actually wasn't a bad bet to make). They need big tentpole movies to drum up interest in the merch and other associated products (like the TV shows and cartoons and video games). The fact that they're not making these movies is, again, a pretty serious indicator that SW as a franchise is not doing as well as Disney hoped. Sure, they sold merch based on the other properties, but (outside of Baby Yoda, maybe), my guess is that they haven't sold nearly as much as they would've if there had also been a SW movie released. Without the movies to keep driving up interest in the other SW stuff, Disney is practically leaving money on the table.

Now that DW's production is being at least partly funded by Disney, it's going to have to do very well indeed to justify the money Disney's throwing RTD's way. I don't think Disney is going to come down with creative dictates or anything, but if it doesn't meet whatever metrics it needs to on Disney+ to be considered successful, it could be problematic in terms of where the show is seen outside of the UK once the initial deal expires. Obviously we won't know until after it's aired, but I would imagine wanting it to make a big splash right out of the gate is precisely why RTD wanted to bring Tennant back.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Can we just have one thread on these forums where people don’t constantly insist on the supposedly inevitable death and ruining of [Star Wars/Marvel/insert IP here] at the hands of Disney with unfounded rumors and regurgitated clickbait?

Go spout that poo poo on twitter like everyone else.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Can we just have one thread on these forums where people don’t constantly insist on the supposedly inevitable death and ruining of [Star Wars/Marvel/insert IP here] at the hands of Disney with unfounded rumors and regurgitated clickbait?

Go spout that poo poo on twitter like everyone else.

1. Nobody should be using Twitter anymore

2. Given that DW is in part funded by Disney now, I'd say it's fair game for comparison

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

There was a viewership decline because there was a radical shift in how people consume media, though. Viewership for literally everything is down because audiences are more fragmented than they've ever been.

When Tennant began, only dorks had smartphones and we all watched Netflix by having DVDs mailed to us.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I hope Donna gets a happier ending this time.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

egon_beeblebrox posted:

This is the one thing I didn't like about the season she was in. I feel like her dynamic with the Doctor is the best one I've seen so far (again, as a new fan, so take that as you will), but they did her so dirty with the way her story ended. She deserved way better than that.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Either she gets to remember the Doctor, and then die.

Or the Doctor fixes that problem and Donna get gets to remember the Doctor and live.

I'm not a tv show writer so I don't know what other endings she could have.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
I think that people get overly angry when characters experience unjust or unfair fates. I thought Donna's tragedy was heartbreaking and horrible, but so did every single character in the show.

That being said, I think this opportunity to give her a happier ending or a self-driven conclusion is cool as a look back on the Doctor as a character and their regrets.

She doesn't strictly need a happy ending. She could make a fully informed sacrifice!

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Give Donna a happy ending and then give her another fifty audio series with the Fourteenth Doctor that all happen mid-TARDIS flight so that the Donna and Doctor that emerge for the climax of the special are a thousand years older than they were 5 seconds ago on screen

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Framboise posted:

This is the one thing I didn't like about the season she was in. I feel like her dynamic with the Doctor is the best one I've seen so far (again, as a new fan, so take that as you will), but they did her so dirty with the way her story ended. She deserved way better than that.

The last time I watched her season I had this thought that RTD...well, hated is too strong a word, but enjoyed making fun of her in a way he hadn't really with the previous companions.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

What you're picking up on is that Catherine Tate is a comedian famous for self-deprecation and abrasive characters and Russell T. Davies was writing Donna to fit Tate's skill set and reputation.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Tate and Tennant also have a marvellous chemistry that was lightning in a bottle to capture.

There’s a reason that when the RSC did Much Ado About Nothing in 2011, they were their first picks for Benedick and Beatrice.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

They also got Tate to play Magicia DeSpell on DuckTales against Tennant's Scrooge.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

DoctorWhat posted:

What you're picking up on is that Catherine Tate is a comedian famous for self-deprecation and abrasive characters and Russell T. Davies was writing Donna to fit Tate's skill set and reputation.

That's mainly why I'm oddly not as huge a fan of Donna as I feel I should have been. I spent a lot of that series just feeling like Catherine Tate was Catherine Tate-ing about the place and was only an actual character about 20% of the time, which I felt undercut things.

But when she was allowed to go outside of doing her bit, she was great. I really enjoyed Turn Left for instance.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cf2YZzfBK2I

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Coward posted:

That's mainly why I'm oddly not as huge a fan of Donna as I feel I should have been. I spent a lot of that series just feeling like Catherine Tate was Catherine Tate-ing about the place and was only an actual character about 20% of the time, which I felt undercut things.

There's a bit in the Ood episode that I really like where Donna is expressing disbelief that people would put up with the enslavement of the Ood and Ten snarls something like, "And who do you think made your clothes?" To which Donna (rightfully) responds, "Is that why you travel around with people, so you can lord it over them?" and Ten sheepishly apologizes. It's a great moment, and I don't think it would work with any of Ten's other companions. Being defined as a sort of louder character than other companions lets her get away with a lot and tell off the Doctor to a degree you don't really see til Clara.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Donna was the first companion since the revival started that didn't want to romance the Doctor, have unrequited love for the Doctor, or try to jump the Doctor's bones, so in that regard she was an absolute breath of fresh air

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.
The romance with Rose/unrequited stuff with Martha was extremely tiring (to me) and not only Donna completely lacking that but then also just calling him out on his bullshit constantly was great.

I don't mind them hammering the reset button to get people's attention again, I loved the Capaldi era and (most of) its stories, but it definitely wasn't for everyone. And then I stopped watching during Chibnall. I wonder once we get into the actual series if the show will follow the general formula RTD set out for each series (intro, far future, past, two parter, etc etc) which generally worked pretty well for him (and Moffat when he stuck to it).

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

Rochallor posted:

There's a bit in the Ood episode that I really like where Donna is expressing disbelief that people would put up with the enslavement of the Ood and Ten snarls something like, "And who do you think made your clothes?" To which Donna (rightfully) responds, "Is that why you travel around with people, so you can lord it over them?" and Ten sheepishly apologizes. It's a great moment, and I don't think it would work with any of Ten's other companions. Being defined as a sort of louder character than other companions lets her get away with a lot and tell off the Doctor to a degree you don't really see til Clara.

Yep, those bits where she gets dramatic weight were great for me. The bits where she is Catherine Tate-ing are less so.

I was not a huge fan of the romantic angle (and I disliked School Reunion for making it explicit in the classic series), so I should have been very much behind a series that didn't have that angle between the two leads. Just didn't work that well for me.

E: I do perfectly understand why they went that angle, and the show's renewed popularity demonstrates that it worked. It's just a personal aesthetic thing.

Coward fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Dec 29, 2022

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

It is my opinion that Donna's more comedic Tate-y bits enhance, rather than detract from, her incredibly high-quality dramatic moments, and vice-versa. It affords her a depth and variety of character.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Donna's,"...You want to.... mate? I DON'T WANNA MATE WITH YOU!" reaction to 10 saying,"I just want a mate," cracked me up.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

New Doctors, even if it's old Tennant Doctor are still exciting because the future can be anything. I felt the same way towards the end of 11 and 12 that I was ready to move on to the next thing filled with a bit of optimism.

Given its an anniversary go-round I expect the quality should be pretty good. Although I am kind of just waiting patiently for Gatwa. I'm more interested in that character than Ten-2-Ant.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Ok, hear me out. Jodie regens and instead of Tennant we got Eccleston complaining about his ears again.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Coward posted:

bits where she is Catherine Tate-ing are

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

FilthyImp posted:

Ok, hear me out. Jodie regens and instead of Tennant we got Eccleston complaining about his ears again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66lBqKRPKN4

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

That's really cool, and I do wish Moffat could have worked out something with Eccleston... but also I absolutely loved John Hurt as The War Doctor and I wouldn't want to ever risk that incredible 50th Anniversary Special we did get. Though maybe in some alternate reality, Good Jerusalem (we're the bad universe, obviously) is saying the same thing about never wanting to lose the Eccleston 50th?

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Coward posted:

Yep, those bits where she gets dramatic weight were great for me. The bits where she is Catherine Tate-ing are less so.
As someone who doesn't know Catherine Tate outside of Doctor Who this is a bizarre position. You've identified that she has a character. One you've apparently seen before. Okay. Why is that bad? Seems like a pretty good character to me. Is there a reason it doesn't work in the context of Doctor Who?

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008

Eiba posted:

As someone who doesn't know Catherine Tate outside of Doctor Who this is a bizarre position. You've identified that she has a character. One you've apparently seen before. Okay. Why is that bad? Seems like a pretty good character to me. Is there a reason it doesn't work in the context of Doctor Who?

People in the UK know her for shite like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4ephzAakrs

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Well, at the time, I think she was best known for this character.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JpgVokQEchA

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
I'm not really a fan of Tate's comedy (I found her sketch show to be really unfunny), but she did have some good moments, and it was a dynamic the show needed at that point, even if I wasn't that found of the pairing. I did listen to the first box set of The Tenth Doctor Adventures when they were on the radio earlier in the year, and she was so much better when she didn't have a camera to mug to, and could just, well, act.

RTD did tend to have the Tenth Doctor become way too overpowered, so those bits where he was a bit more vulnerable were refreshing. I'm not a fan of 10 acting like regeneration is an actual death of the self, and not that he's going to change, but there's a reason the freakout at the end of Waters of Mars is a great moment.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Jerusalem posted:

That's really cool, and I do wish Moffat could have worked out something with Eccleston... but also I absolutely loved John Hurt as The War Doctor and I wouldn't want to ever risk that incredible 50th Anniversary Special we did get. Though maybe in some alternate reality, Good Jerusalem (we're the bad universe, obviously) is saying the same thing about never wanting to lose the Eccleston 50th?
I'm sure glad nobody's making me choose, 'cause aside from Hackers and Army of Darkness, I've likely seen Day of the Doctor more times than any other movie.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Don't. Don't do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/twelvetits/status/1608562122782552066