Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Beartaco posted:

Is it just the case that everyone over there is testing?

A lot of my friends and I test daily for our work here in the US. So I doubt it

Seems pretty easy to explain though. They've been enacting tough measures for so long on covid, preventing spread, preventing the development of some levels of immunity in individuals so now it's ripping through the population. Extremely high population densities are also the norm in many places making the spread hard to stop.

Plus don't they use their (really bad) vaccines there instead of the mrna ones? The ones that don't actually work good

Seems like that mostly explains it. After this wave burns out the population as a whole should be more protected than before

Play fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Dec 27, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PITY BONER
Oct 18, 2021
Update on the borders reopening.

quote:

Covid in China: People rush to book travel as borders finally reopen

Chinese people have rushed to book overseas travel after Beijing announced it would reopen its borders next month.

Passport applications for Chinese citizens wishing to travel internationally will resume from 8 January, the immigration administration said.

It follows an announcement on Monday that ended almost three years of strict quarantine rules for arrivals.

Travel sites have since reported a spike in traffic.

But Chinese tourists will not have unfettered access to all countries.

Japan - one of the most popular destinations for Chinese travellers - has announced that all travellers from China must show a negative Covid test on arrival, or quarantine for seven days, because of the surge in cases there.

India has also said travellers from China (as well as some other countries) must show a negative Covid test when they arrive - though this was announced before Beijing's easing of restrictions.

The easing of travel rules in China - the last part of the country's zero-Covid policy - comes as the country battles a new wave of infections.

Resentment against the government's policy - which sparked rare public protests against President Xi Jinping in November - led to a relaxation of Covid restrictions across the country.

But an increase in Covid cases followed, with reports of hospitals overwhelmed and a shortage of drugs.

The announcement on outbound travel on Tuesday came after Monday's news, which axed quarantine rules for travellers arriving in China. It also scrapped a cap on the daily number of flights.

On the same day, the National Health Commission announced that Covid would be formally downgraded to a Class B infectious disease on 8 January.

Before the relaxation of travel rules, people were strongly discouraged from travelling abroad. The sale of outbound group and package travel was banned, according to marketing solutions company Dragon Trail International.

Within half an hour of Monday's notice that China's borders would reopen, data from travel site Trip.com - cited in Chinese media - showed searches for popular destinations had increased ten-fold year-on-year.

Macau, Hong Kong, Japan, Thailand and South Korea were the most popular destinations.

In addition, Chinese travel agency Qunar saw flight enquiries on its website increase seven-fold within the first 15 minutes after the announcement, the China Daily reports.

I didn't know they were scrapping the cap on daily flights. That's huge news for airlines and travel hubs. I don't know how long it takes to get/re-get a Chinese passport, but I imagine the service is going to be beyond swamped the day that applications open again.

I reckon there's going to be quite a few teachers in Thailand, Vietnam, and elsewhere returning now that China will be taking teachers back at possible pay and position levels higher than before. Vietnam seems to have replaced China as the go-to EFL destination in Asia, but I think that's about it change even though China is still going to be China but with higher levels of xenophobia than before.

Scam Likely
Feb 19, 2021

We're in Hong Kong to see family and one of the weirder things we keep seeing are these super long lines of old people in the early morning. They stretch around all 4 sides of a city block sometimes, and best we can tell they're all waiting to buy a newspaper from a single vendor. Mrs. Scam Likrly says there's nothing HK'ers love more than a line to stand in. Must be an incredible newspaper.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

Scam Likely posted:

We're in Hong Kong to see family and one of the weirder things we keep seeing are these super long lines of old people in the early morning. They stretch around all 4 sides of a city block sometimes, and best we can tell they're all waiting to buy a newspaper from a single vendor. Mrs. Scam Likrly says there's nothing HK'ers love more than a line to stand in. Must be an incredible newspaper.

I'd be willing to bet that the newspaper has a coupon or something in it.

Rabelais D
Dec 11, 2012

ts'u nnu k'u k'o t'khye:
A demon doth defecate at thy door
Still no news on when China will start issuing tourist visas. Sure, Chinese people can go abroad and come home quarantine free, but allow foreigners into China? Madness!

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Foreigners might bring covid, the foreign disease.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

gonna go to china and install p-traps everywhere

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

I'm kinda worried that all those people that travel to China in the next few weeks are going to be coming back sick themselves.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
For people who believe the lab leak theory, China having a major outbreak and opening its borders right as the rest of the world starts to see light at the end of the tunnel must seem a little on the nose.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Japan, (who only recently reopened it's borders), has immediately tightened them. Specifically to those entering from China. All entrants from China need a negative test before they get on the plane, and then get another test at the airport. If positive, they get 5-7 days quarantine.

India also now requires a negative test for arrivals from China, (also Japan, Thailand and South Korea, but only these 4 countries for some reason). America is thinking about it.

No change for the UK or Australia. I'm sure other countries have done other things, but I don't have relatives living there, so I care quite a great deal less.

So it seems currently, only the country where I live, and where my aunt lives are taking the potential Chinese flood of infected people desperate to get out of their house for the first time in years seriously. The rest of my family have to take their chances, I suppose.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

BrigadierSensible posted:

desperate to get out of their house for the first time in years seriously.

If a country is governed wisely, its inhabitants will be content.
They enjoy the labor of their hands and will not waste their hours on the concept of perfection

Since they dearly love their homes, they aren't interested in travel.
There may be a few wagons and boats, but these don't go anywhere.
There may be an arsenal of weapons, but nobody ever uses them.
People enjoy their food, take pleasure in being with their families,
spend weekends working in their gardens, delight in the doings of the neighborhood.

And even though the next country is so close that people can hear its roosters crowing and its dogs barking,
they are content to die of old age without ever having gone to see it.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own
https://twitter.com/kjoules/status/1608003991509815297?s=20&t=MByLnrXjVIB-hQBjgbqX3Q

Hong Kong following Beijing's orders.
No surprise there.

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
with tourism back on the menu, 2023 is looking fantastic!!!

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Play posted:

Plus don't they use their (really bad) vaccines there instead of the mrna ones? The ones that don't actually work good

A vaccine that would actually work good is one that would provide sterilizing immunity and we still don’t have one. It is amazing that multiple vaccines were developed so quickly but we don’t need to buy into our own LET ER RIP propaganda any more than we need to buy into China’s

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

Tired: Bribing officials with maotai

Wired: Bribing officials with Paxlovid

quote:

China’s elites are stockpiling supplies of Paxlovid, Pfizer’s Covid-19 antiviral drug, and giving it away to curry favour with business associates as an unprecedented Covid wave leaves hospitals stripped of resources and ordinary people struggling to access medication.

Multiple public and private hospitals told the Financial Times that the drug, the only foreign Covid medication approved for use in China, was either out of stock or only available to patients with severe underlying health conditions. Paxlovid is generally prescribed to treat mild to moderate Covid cases.

Doctors said that officials and business owners had snapped up significant stocks of the pills at exorbitant prices to protect their elderly parents, family or friends. The scramble for Paxlovid was emblematic of the country’s health inequalities, said analysts.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
WHO website directly links to a study in Colombia where they found the Sinovac vaccine has an efficacy of 100%, making it more effective than any other vaccine in the history of the world. The unnamed jabbers can only salivate.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
US to start requiring negative covid tests for travellers incoming from China per BBC. Apart from the usual Hurt Feelings, according to several posts in this thread the testing apparatus has largely packed up and gone home…?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I wonder how many people are actually going to travel. I know a few outside China who haven't been home in years and really want to but are going to wait for poo poo to calm down first. I bet they're not unusual.

Some are though, I saw an article that the first few flights from China to Milan had 50% positivity rates.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Grand Fromage posted:

I wonder how many people are actually going to travel. I know a few outside China who haven't been home in years and really want to but are going to wait for poo poo to calm down first. I bet they're not unusual.

Some are though, I saw an article that the first few flights from China to Milan had 50% positivity rates.

Enough will. There’s always going to be some selfish businessman or a stubborn grandmother that hasn’t seen her grandkids in yeara

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

thetoughestbean posted:

Enough will. There’s always going to be some selfish businessman or a stubborn grandmother that hasn’t seen her grandkids in yeara

Sure, but a few people traveling is a different scenario than 200 million going somewhere for New Year.

PITY BONER
Oct 18, 2021

Grand Fromage posted:

Sure, but a few people traveling is a different scenario than 200 million going somewhere for New Year.
We'll find out soon enough after January 8th passes. A million seems implausible, but things are changing so quickly lately.

I'm betting the airlines are salivating at opening up service to China again, particularly Asian brands that used to have 3-4+ flights per day per large airport there. It's really up to government and the airlines, since flight caps will be gone in a week and a half . Who knows how many planes have been sitting sidelined for three years straight, and how long it will take to get them operable, but I imagine there's going to be an impetus do so any day now once the airlines are given the go ahead and haggle with the airports over routes.

I just checked Air Asia for the week of Spring Festival week, Bangkok to Guangzhou, which used to have several-times-daily direct service, but no direct flights are on the menu right now. The current flights are going for $1000 round trip. There aren't any direct flights from Hong Kong to Bangkok, either, but the prices are around $200 round trip. My previous prediction that southern Chinese will use HK as a travel hub until the mainland catches up might still come true.

I'm still a bit shocked. My brain was totally set on China being in Covid-Zero mode for at least another full year. I don't know how long it will take before China accepts tourists and easy travel from foreigners, but I'm no longer going to assume that it will be that long of a wait. With other countries requiring tests from Chinese, I imagine there's going to be some tit-for-tat quarantine bullshit for certain countries whenever China opens for foreigners again.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Grand Fromage posted:

I can’t wait for a second round of trying to blame covid on Italy.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
In news which surprised no one:

Milan Reports 50% of Passengers in Flights From China Have Covid

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-12-28/milan-reports-50-of-passengers-in-flights-from-china-have-covid

quote:

Italian health authorities will begin testing all arrivals from China for Covid after almost half of the passengers on two flights to Milan were found to have the virus. 

They are also sequencing the Milan tests to see if there are new variants, the Health Ministry said in a statement. If a new strain is found, officials may impose stricter curbs on travel from the country. 

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

eSports Chaebol posted:

A vaccine that would actually work good is one that would provide sterilizing immunity and we still don’t have one. It is amazing that multiple vaccines were developed so quickly but we don’t need to buy into our own LET ER RIP propaganda any more than we need to buy into China’s

Huh?

Coronavac doesn't work as well and never did though. Scientific fact is not propaganda, especially since that wasn't my point at all and I don't see it as some kind of 'us (who exactly?) vs them' situation anyways.

I am just pointing out that coronavac is not nearly as effective as the mrna vaccines are, which is certainly not helping this outbreak. You seeing that as propaganda is more of a you thing than a me thing, I believe.

And many, many vaccines don't provide total immunity. That doesn't mean they are useless or that there aren't degrees of usefulness between various vaccines.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Play posted:

Huh?

Coronavac doesn't work as well and never did though. Scientific fact is not propaganda, especially since that wasn't my point at all and I don't see it as some kind of 'us (who exactly?) vs them' situation anyways.

I am just pointing out that coronavac is not nearly as effective as the mrna vaccines are, which is certainly not helping this outbreak. You seeing that as propaganda is more of a you thing than a me thing, I believe.

And many, many vaccines don't provide total immunity. That doesn't mean they are useless or that there aren't degrees of usefulness between various vaccines.

It isn’t as effective after the initial shot but it is with two boosters

https://www.economist.com/graphic-detail/2022/04/19/how-chinas-sinovac-compares-with-biontechs-mrna-vaccine

e: edited because I was being unnecessarily snippy. It does just bother me that “Chinese vaccines are worse because of national pride” is a meme seemingly so resistant to actual data

eSports Chaebol fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Dec 29, 2022

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

eSports Chaebol posted:

It isn’t as effective after the initial shot but it is with two boosters

https://www.economist.com/graphic-detail/2022/04/19/how-chinas-sinovac-compares-with-biontechs-mrna-vaccine

e: edited because I was being unnecessarily snippy. It does just bother me that “Chinese vaccines are worse because of national pride” is a meme seemingly so resistant to actual data

link to the study used in the article https://www.thelancet.com/journals/laninf/article/PIIS1473-3099(22)00345-0/fulltext

Some take aways in the data are that there aren't many people 70+ with 3 doses dying, but it doesn't speculate if that's because there are so few people in that age group who've received 3 doses or if they're just not getting sick and going to the hospital. Almost all of the deaths for people with 3 doses are in the 30-50 age groups. Also the differences between 2-3 doses is pretty drastic. I really hoped they pumped people into getting their boosters.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
https://twitter.com/TheRealJoshYe/status/1608009245240492032

https://twitter.com/ftchina/status/1608350478135435264

the war on low quality growth temporarily on hold

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Play posted:

I am just pointing out that coronavac is not nearly as effective as the mrna vaccines are, which is certainly not helping this outbreak.

It probably is good enough, but the vendors and distribution network will water it down to placebo status.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Shumagorath posted:

US to start requiring negative covid tests for travellers incoming from China per BBC. Apart from the usual Hurt Feelings, according to several posts in this thread the testing apparatus has largely packed up and gone home…?

Hopefully they require rectal swabs for entry

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
https://twitter.com/liqian_ren/status/1608465104059654145

That's one way to revive regional tourism

https://www.bangkokpost.com/business/2471217/call-for-tourist-booster-shots-as-chinese-return

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Huevo se dice argidia. Argidia!
I got the Chinese vaccine. Here in my country the government used them to make time before Pfizer shipped enough vaccines. So younger people got two Sinovac shots and two Pfizer. Old people got Pfizer from the start.

The Chinese vaccine made the number of daily cases slow down a lot, so I don't think it's that bad.

PITY BONER
Oct 18, 2021
Today I went to the calisthenics park near the house where I'm currently stay (in the US). I chuckled to myself when I hung my jacket over the dip bars, remembering how problematic it was trying to exercise in similar parks in China when all the aunties would chuck blankets and wet laundry over all the bars and equipment without considering the people who were there to use them or how they were used in the first place. It would often result in some sort of shouting match, especially from those old guys who were pull-up champs and never wore shirts.

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

"I think you could better spend your time on finishing your editing before the deadline today."
\
:backtowork:

Scam Likely posted:

It's given out for free and as said above probably has a coupon in it. Depressingly, near my workplace I see elderly people even queuing up for their free copy of Party cumrag Wen Wei Po.

Anyway, enjoy walking on the streets before the hordes arrive. I'm going to start wearing a real mask again from January 8th.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Polidoro posted:

I got the Chinese vaccine. Here in my country the government used them to make time before Pfizer shipped enough vaccines. So younger people got two Sinovac shots and two Pfizer. Old people got Pfizer from the start.

The Chinese vaccine made the number of daily cases slow down a lot, so I don't think it's that bad.

It's "bad" in the sense that it's much less effective than the Pfizer-type vaccines, but in a situation like yours where you eventually had access to better vaccines that doesn't matter much.

Problem is, China IIRC blocked its citizens from getting the more effective vaccines.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

It's "bad" in the sense that it's much less effective than the Pfizer-type vaccines, but in a situation like yours where you eventually had access to better vaccines that doesn't matter much.

Problem is, China IIRC blocked its citizens from getting the more effective vaccines.

I've had three doses of Sinopharm, as have most of the people I work with. Either it worked pretty well to reduce symptoms to "a couple of days of a bad cold" or the Beijing variant of Omicrom is, luckily, a weak one. Anecdotal I Know, and none of us are old or immunocompromised but...

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
start selling mRNA vacs and paxlovid to chinese tourists at incredibly marked up prices

recessions cancelled baby

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022

yaffle posted:

I've had three doses of Sinopharm, as have most of the people I work with. Either it worked pretty well to reduce symptoms to "a couple of days of a bad cold" or the Beijing variant of Omicrom is, luckily, a weak one.

Or neither. It's random in severity per person. Do you gamble?

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

There will never be another second this century when inhaling does not involve a small chance of a life changing Covid infection. Congrats you're all gambling regardless.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

maxwellhill posted:

Or neither. It's random in severity per person. Do you gamble?

You dont really get to choose though, unless you lock yourself away in a bubble I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

"I think you could better spend your time on finishing your editing before the deadline today."
\
:backtowork:
The Chinese vaccines are inferior to the mRNA ones, but they still greatly increase your chances of surviving. Getting vaccinated is always a good choice.