Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Wayne Knight posted:

Looks like the tweet was deleted

Apparently there's a big rundown via extremism researcher Chad Loder that goes over more of it.https://twitter.com/mattxiv/status/1607849146878246917?t=NRtBKejAhl0JtJIUYVPeNQ&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

The substatck article had to be revised *twice* to remove anti-semetic dogwhistles. Which is irritating, as other than dogshit like "Chaya Ratick and Ben Shipero knew each other because they're both Jewish" it has a lot of good information.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Young Freud posted:

Apparently there's a big rundown via extremism researcher Chad Loder that goes over more of it.https://twitter.com/mattxiv/status/1607849146878246917?t=NRtBKejAhl0JtJIUYVPeNQ&s=19

Of loving course she was there.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

I think in the right wing chudosphere being at the Jan 6 riot is becoming a mark of pride for the true believers. You'll have new right wing media personalities pop up in the next 5-10 years trying to Rannazzisi themselves saying they were super there and were right next to Ashli Babbitt when she was shot.

edit: USCE Winter will be opening up soon, probably right after New Year's.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
meanwhile, probably surprising no one
https://twitter.com/drmistercody/status/1607603002805731330

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I think the explanation I've come up with that squares the circle of "Elon Musk is a complete moron," "Elon Musk is a chessmaster," and "usually competent conservative money has poured into Elon's purchase and isn't visibly withdrawing yet" is that Elon Musk's purchase of twitter was intended to both inoculate him against sources of online critique and also give the Republicans/conservative backers of Elon the 2024 elections through control of arguably the most influential media platform...but Elon is so poisoned by both his own issues and twitter's echo chamber and feedback problems that he's managed to gently caress even that up on an unimaginable scale.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

What if the GOP controlled Twitter... but each tweet now has a giant goatse pop-up?

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

Is there any rule that a giant image of goatse can’t run for president?

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...

pencilhands posted:

Christmas Islander and therefore ineligible.

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

Nameless Pete posted:

blast!

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The domain is Christmas Island, but was the photo taken on American soil, or by an American citizen?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Nameless Pete posted:

Precedent established by Sonic the Hedgehog.

sweek0
May 22, 2006

Let me fall out the window
With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
On a blanket by the stairs
I'll tell you all my secrets
But I lie about my past

pencilhands posted:

It was born in 1999 so not quite old enough.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Discendo Vox posted:

I think the explanation I've come up with that squares the circle of "Elon Musk is a complete moron," "Elon Musk is a chessmaster," and "usually competent conservative money has poured into Elon's purchase and isn't visibly withdrawing yet" is that Elon Musk's purchase of twitter was intended to both inoculate him against sources of online critique and also give the Republicans/conservative backers of Elon the 2024 elections through control of arguably the most influential media platform...but Elon is so poisoned by both his own issues and twitter's echo chamber and feedback problems that he's managed to gently caress even that up on an unimaginable scale.

Yeah but you're dumb as poo poo so

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Lib and let die posted:

Yeah but you're dumb as poo poo so

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)
Looks like someone has a very poor grasp of Poster Analysis and Criticism!

In news that does not have to do with Elon Musk or other irritating people in online venues of various levels of deadness and gayness, I haven't seen anything about the Southwest shitshow ITT:

https://gizmodo.com/outdated-software-southwest-airlines-cancelations-1849933946

For anyone not aware: The recent storms have precipitated a total meltdown for Southwest's ability to be a functional airline (other airlines have not experienced this). The proximal cause, from my understanding, is that their antiquated scheduling system simply assumes crew are in certain locations at any given time, and does not use the information that is readily available to Southwest as to where the employees actually are. The storm threw enough of a wrench into this that the rest of Southwest Airline's human and capital systems could not compensate as they did in normal situations. Whatever the exact details, this seems like just another casualty of the MBA-ification of critical infrastruction and institutions - similar to the ongoing JIT-induced disasters of the supply chain. This IT infrastructure is a "cost center," and clearly they punted maintenance on it. What looks like a good business decision out-of-context and in normal operating conditions becomes a disaster.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I'm still amazed that structuring an economy on playing hot potato by quarter with necessary expenditures somehow became the dominant ideology of the planet. Especially since everything is further underpinned by the religious devotion to the belief that economic growth is eternal and unfailing under the benevolent invisible hand of the market.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

cat botherer posted:

Looks like someone has a very poor grasp of Poster Analysis and Criticism!

In news that does not have to do with Elon Musk or other irritating people in online venues of various levels of deadness and gayness, I haven't seen anything about the Southwest shitshow ITT:

https://gizmodo.com/outdated-software-southwest-airlines-cancelations-1849933946

For anyone not aware: The recent storms have precipitated a total meltdown for Southwest's ability to be a functional airline (other airlines have not experienced this). The proximal cause, from my understanding, is that their antiquated scheduling system simply assumes crew are in certain locations at any given time, and does not use the information that is readily available to Southwest as to where the employees actually are. The storm threw enough of a wrench into this that the rest of Southwest Airline's human and capital systems could not compensate as they did in normal situations. Whatever the exact details, this seems like just another casualty of the MBA-ification of critical infrastruction and institutions - similar to the ongoing JIT-induced disasters of the supply chain. This IT infrastructure is a "cost center," and clearly they punted maintenance on it. What looks like a good business decision out-of-context and in normal operating conditions becomes a disaster.
I listened to an NPR segment and read an article somewhere so don't remember which details came from where but here's what I remember aside from what you already posted:
  • All major carriers delay and cancel flights in anticipation of weather, Southwest does not--they wait until the very last moment possible to make that call, which increases the likelihood of cascading delays/cancellations
  • Southwest was failing to find proper accommodations for flight crews and pilots, so many are sleeping in airports
  • Some crews trying to call the center for rescheduling or whatever had been on hold for over 24 hours
  • As of this morning (about 9:00 AM Denver time) Southwest had already cancelled 2,000 flights tomorrow
Inconveniencing customers is one thing. Creating economic disruptions is another. But having pilots sleep in airport terminals sounds pretty loving dangerous and I hope there's some kind of punitive measures taken against Southwest for all this bullshit just to shave the margins of operational costs by probably a few points.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Gyges posted:

I'm still amazed that structuring an economy on playing hot potato by quarter with necessary expenditures somehow became the dominant ideology of the planet. Especially since everything is further underpinned by the religious devotion to the belief that economic growth is eternal and unfailing under the benevolent invisible hand of the market.

It's such a visibly stupid system and it's been so for a good while. It's obvious that any such system needs regular maintenance but the whole capital class are all convinced they're some sort of genius and it will be someone else holding the bag. And they're right: even the idiots in charge of this mess will likely get away with just a slightly smaller bag of loot as they're bailed out/the public pays for the fix.

I have seen remarks from various congress critters and Secretary of Transportation Butt about investigating but...who knows if anything will happen.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I think I read that they are probably violating a bunch of FAA regulations involving flight crews/pilots but I highly doubt that they will face more than a small fine

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
This certainly answers all questions and in no way raises any more.
https://twitter.com/IsaacDovere/status/1608101971495628801

FlamingLiberal posted:

I think I read that they are probably violating a bunch of FAA regulations involving flight crews/pilots but I highly doubt that they will face more than a small fine

They of course being the corporate entity, not anyone who actually made the decisions that broke regulations. Nothing is ever going to change until the executive suites begin to be frog marched out in handcuffs/are personally fined millions for the illegal actions the cause the company to take.

Gyges fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Dec 28, 2022

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

I’m genuinely curious if this whole fiasco led to any real life whacky odd couple situations where two or more strangers teamed up to get home by alternative methods a la Planes, Trains and Automobiles

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Gyges posted:

This certainly answers all questions and in no way raises any more.
https://twitter.com/IsaacDovere/status/1608101971495628801

who is this shell of a man, he is an absolute onion

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

pencilhands posted:

I’m genuinely curious if this whole fiasco led to any real life whacky odd couple situations where two or more strangers teamed up to get home by alternative methods a la Planes, Trains and Automobiles
Or (also with John Candy) in Home Alone 1 where the mom has to take a truck with a polka group from PA to Chicago

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

pencilhands posted:

I did see a tiktok about 4 strangers who rented a car to go from Florida to the north east somewhere. Didn't see how it ended up though.

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

Normy posted:

I did see a tiktok about 4 strangers who rented a car to go from Florida to the north east somewhere. Didn't see how it ended up though.

Editing: it wasn't strangers but I was WTFing at their path. Found it:

Trying to get from Tokyo to Portland, so they flew: Tokyo to Detroit, to Salt Lake City, to Amsterdam, and they're stuck there until the 29th. Apparently they're flying on employee standby.

Involuntary Sparkle fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Dec 28, 2022

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

nine-gear crow posted:

"Did Not Vote" is still far and away the #1 winner for Millennials, handily beating out any rightward or leftward drift that can be detected. They are getting mildly more conservative for various reasons, but that drift is still cancelled out by "I didn't vote, but here's my 80,000 word Reddit thesis on why you should listen to my opinions about..."

Do you have any proof of this?

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

pencilhands posted:

I don't know if it was over a Southwest cancellation, but UTEP's men's basketball coach rented a car to help get some Pitt football players to El Paso in time for their bowl game.

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

VorpalBunny posted:

Do you have any proof of this?

It's not the individuals getting more conservative, it's the liberals being more likely to die early.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

Judgy Fucker posted:

I listened to an NPR segment and read an article somewhere so don't remember which details came from where but here's what I remember aside from what you already posted:
  • All major carriers delay and cancel flights in anticipation of weather, Southwest does not--they wait until the very last moment possible to make that call, which increases the likelihood of cascading delays/cancellations
  • Southwest was failing to find proper accommodations for flight crews and pilots, so many are sleeping in airports
  • Some crews trying to call the center for rescheduling or whatever had been on hold for over 24 hours
  • As of this morning (about 9:00 AM Denver time) Southwest had already cancelled 2,000 flights tomorrow
Inconveniencing customers is one thing. Creating economic disruptions is another. But having pilots sleep in airport terminals sounds pretty loving dangerous and I hope there's some kind of punitive measures taken against Southwest for all this bullshit just to shave the margins of operational costs by probably a few points.

I applied for a job as a software developer for Southwest a few months ago. I did not get the job because some ancient developer decided the best way to test one's software engineering skills was to quiz the various differences between all the java versions.

Anyways, the point I was making is, Southwest knows about it and was describing how all of the code that runs their scheduling software is incredibly ancient and is held together by tape, spit, and hopes and dreams. Had this storm happened next year, it might not have been quite the shitshow, but right now, their software is poo poo.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Involuntary Sparkle posted:

Editing: it wasn't strangers but I was WTFing at their path. Found it:

Trying to get from Tokyo to Portland, so they flew: Tokyo to Detroit, to Salt Lake City, to Amsterdam, and they're stuck there until the 29th. Apparently they're flying on employee standby.

Portland, ME or Portland, OR? I’d take my chances driving a rental from Detroit if it was ME.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Gyges posted:

That's what happens when no one in charge ever suffers any penalties or backlash for doing this over and over and over. We'll never, ever nationalize offending companies or directly penalize the people responsible when the jenga tower inevitably collapses, so there's literally no incentive for the executives in charge to not just keep slashing everything to the bone and making incredibly short sighted decisions to make number go up this quarter.

It will only end when the people pushing the policies start suffering meaningful consequences for doing so, and that's not going to happen any time soon.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Kanos posted:

That's what happens when no one in charge ever suffers any penalties or backlash for doing this over and over and over. We'll never, ever nationalize offending companies or directly penalize the people responsible when the jenga tower inevitably collapses, so there's literally no incentive for the executives in charge to not just keep slashing everything to the bone and making incredibly short sighted decisions to make number go up this quarter.

It will only end when the people pushing the policies start suffering meaningful consequences for doing so, and that's not going to happen any time soon.

Yeah, why would anyone stop doing the thing that constantly rewards them with millions of dollars, especially when the only punishment for failure is being constantly rewarded slightly less millions of dollars?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Hey if anyone wants a fun quick read here's a 3 page letter from 38 states Attorney Generals begging Congress / the Department of Transportation to please loving do something about systemic failures with the airline industry from August.

https://www.attorneygeneral.gov/wp-content/uploads/2022/08/2022-08-31-Airline-Accountability-and-Increased-Consumer-Protection.pdf

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Normy posted:

If you mean this one, it was actually thirteen strangers. I've done Miami to Mobile in a van (13 hours), and it was rough enough even with people I knew and got along with. Sounds like things ended well enough here though.

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

I AM GRANDO posted:

Portland, ME or Portland, OR? I’d take my chances driving a rental from Detroit if it was ME.

Oregon. They also could have driven from SLC to Portland but they didn't want to hang around in SLC waiting for I-5 to clear up. So they flew to Amsterdam....

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Kalli posted:

Hey if anyone wants a fun quick read here's a 3 page letter from 38 states Attorney Generals begging Congress / the Department of Transportation to please loving do something about systemic failures with the airline industry from August.

https://www.attorneygeneral.gov/wp-content/uploads/2022/08/2022-08-31-Airline-Accountability-and-Increased-Consumer-Protection.pdf

Christ, you know a situation is disastrously, comically bad when you get broad spectrum bipartisan agreement on it in 2022.

The airline industry has grown especially pernicious in recent years because they've realized that they're considered critical load-bearing infrastructure that cannot be allowed to completely fail, so they can basically deliberately run their companies into the ground and gently caress over every customer they possibly can because when poo poo goes south the government will almost assuredly bail them out. Again, the normal solution to an issue like this would be to nationalize the offending companies to clean them up, replace the offending executives, and ensure uninterrupted service continues, but that's icky socialism so we'll just let them keep issuing billion dollar stock buybacks and then sobbing about how they have no liquid cash available to handle the slightest downturn in business so can they please have a bailout?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
The airlines are in many ways a special case of capture because they have been corrupt from the ground up and have simultaneously always, always required massive subsidization. They're also resistant to federal takeover because it was one case where the feds did try to take over the industry, and the administration that did so got absolutely wrecked for it- and everyone involved at high levels remembers that episode. I've got some effortposts somewhere around SA about the "Air Mail scandal" floating around the forum if you want to search, but you can also just google it.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Kalli posted:

Thank god Secretary Pete is on the job.
https://twitter.com/davidsirota/status/1608209549034655744
Planes, Trains, and Automobiles, what can't he gently caress up?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
To be fair, he's not loving this one up he's just not doing anything at all, which is normal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...
On a similar note, heard a brief on npr this morning about a ceo (who made some pile of millions last year) giving up their pay because it wasn't right when the shareholders were suffering.

I posed it as a riddle to my coworkers all day too.