Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Bayo Luka is sadly how this poo poo was always going to end. I mean we all know Bayo should he gay as hell but the bayo writers have always been stupid as hell and her interactions with him in 1 and 2 were them trying to write her as dommy flirting with him given that ,even bereft of most of her memory, she nicknames him after her beloved childhood companion and stuffed toy, the one you see her child self running around clinging to the whole game.

It sucks but I'm not sure why anyone's shocked by it so much. The most we can hope for is that bayo 4 we go back to bayo 1/2 bayonetta and they pretend bayo 3 is an alt dimension and here bayo is gayo.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Dec 22, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I can't imagine caring enough about the bayo stories to have strong feelings on her sexuality

you can just think she's bi if that makes you feel better

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Andrast posted:

I can't imagine caring enough about the bayo stories to have strong feelings on her sexuality

you can just think she's bi if that makes you feel better

I mean that doesn't change any of the writing around the relationship or the character of Luka, which are the things that suck rear end but thanks for the permission I guess, weirdo.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I mean that doesn't change any of the writing around the relationship or the character of Luka, which are the things that suck rear end but thanks for the permission I guess, weirdo.

you could have complained about that but instead chose to complain about bayo not being gay enough for you, weirdo

choopercabra
Aug 8, 2006
I have to ask, when did Bayonetta become an LGBTQ icon? I’ve played all three games and paid zero attention to the fan base. Has it been so long since the second game that their headcanon overwrote what the characters really were?

As for the ending, maybe taking inspiration from Marvel movies and the Star Wars sequels was a terrible idea.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I've never played a Bayonetta game and yet I always just assumed that she was a gay icon. Seemed like it just came as a package deal with everything about her design and personality.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
It probably stems from her extensive interactions and back and forth dialogue with Jeanne as opposed to when she's teasing Luka it's less directed at him specifically but also teasing and titillating the player

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

As I understand it 2 in particular is where a lot of the sentiment comes from, since Bayonetta fights hell itself to get Jeanne back due to emotions of love.

Arc Hammer posted:

I've never played a Bayonetta game and yet I always just assumed that she was a gay icon. Seemed like it just came as a package deal with everything about her design and personality.

She's pretty explicitly a dominatrix in terms of design and personality. It's just her closest on screen relationship is with Jeanne her vergil figure who is also well, a dominatrix (theoretically).

UP AND ADAM posted:

It probably stems from her extensive interactions and back and forth dialogue with Jeanne as opposed to when she's teasing Luka it's less directed at him specifically but also teasing and titillating the player

This, basically.

It does not help that the entire thing is written like poo poo, and the pairing is unpopular. If the game had writing quality of say, Wonderful 101, it might not have gone down nearly as badly with fans (although nothing was gonna save the BayuLuka relationship from fan discontent no matter how it was written). The story kind of shits on everyone all over the place it's an absolute mess even if individual moments or ideas could theoretically be cool in a better written game.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Dec 22, 2022

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Wait, I thought Bayo and Jeanne were sisters

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Captain Invictus posted:

man, as basic as steam df's visuals are, I still like them way more than rimworld's aesthetic, can barely stomach looking at rimworld for more than a minute. how did pat feel about it?

edit: skimmed around a bit and hopped right to a point where he was like "oh I definitely like rimworld better than dwarf fortress" so I guess that's that. a chat comment made a good point that they were able to more easily handle df after playing rimworld for a long time, so that might be a better way in to df for him.

df is just the most fascinating thing and every few posts is an incredible tale of failure or hilarious catastrophe in the df thread ever since the steam release. it'd be great if he could ever get to that point, but I guess it's not for him.

That sort of tracks. I’ve played Dorf forever now and spending some time with Rimworld gave me some additional appreciation and insight on the systems of the game. It’s a bit less weird in a few ways so it doesn’t surprise me that it’s been a good onboarding platform. Heck, a majority of Dorf players right now likely came over from Rimworld.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Dabir posted:

Wait, I thought Bayo and Jeanne were sisters

They're sisters in the sense that they're part of the same coven of witches. Like nuns being part of the same convent. Or the sisterhood of the travelling pants.

It's spiritual sisterhood from deep emotional connection, not biological sisterhood.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!
Pat's cap on the VR discussion got me really good.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
People can either complain it's Gay 9/11 or The relationship between Luka and Bayonetta has always been pretty terrible, and has far less chemistry than Bayonetta and Jeanne. While Bayonetta's storytelling has always been pretty awful with moments that most players disagree with, i.e. her forgiving her father and calling him Daddy in his final moments as she sheds a tear, that kind of storytelling is usually ignorable since it's just in cutscenes. What sets this apart is that you cannot kill the final boss in an amazing moment of controlling 3 bayonettas at the same time, because Bayonetta and Luka have to work together to do it and cement their relationship and Viola's potential. Then the game proclaims that Bayo is done and Viola, who has sucked to play as due to her defensive nature, lack of different movesets vs Bayo's like 12 weapons, and frustratingly short witch times, is the new Bayonetta. It all feeds into a negative loop where the story does, in fact, affect the gameplay and thus you can resent it even harder.

Or it's Gay 9/11.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Men don't get an opinion on which women are gay, and that includes Hideki Kamiya.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

:rolleyes:

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
I'm happy for Luka, guy gets put through the wringer and can be with the one he loves.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

MorningMoon posted:

People can either complain it's Gay 9/11 or The relationship between Luka and Bayonetta has always been pretty terrible, and has far less chemistry than Bayonetta and Jeanne. While Bayonetta's storytelling has always been pretty awful with moments that most players disagree with, i.e. her forgiving her father and calling him Daddy in his final moments as she sheds a tear, that kind of storytelling is usually ignorable since it's just in cutscenes. What sets this apart is that you cannot kill the final boss in an amazing moment of controlling 3 bayonettas at the same time, because Bayonetta and Luka have to work together to do it and cement their relationship and Viola's potential. Then the game proclaims that Bayo is done and Viola, who has sucked to play as due to her defensive nature, lack of different movesets vs Bayo's like 12 weapons, and frustratingly short witch times, is the new Bayonetta. It all feeds into a negative loop where the story does, in fact, affect the gameplay and thus you can resent it even harder.

Or it's Gay 9/11.

It's both.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Right. I think I messed up, what I'm trying to convey is that Gay 9/11 puts the whole thing in a nutshell and explains it pretty effectively. You can either effortpost or just say the more effective way to explain the ending.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
I haven't played the Bayonetta games but the trajectory I saw from the outside was people saying Bayonetta 1 was fun enough as a game but the story was pretty dumb and they were suspicious of The Horny. People warmed up to it after Kamiya no-sold gamergaters who came crying to him about how he should support their cause, and the Bayo/Jeanne thing in 2 made people optimistic. 3 doubling down on Luka and poo poo isn't unsurprising, but I think the optimism got meme'd hard beyond its original scope. Calling it "Gay 9/11" sounds like joking hyperbole though.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

To be fair, the person in chat that Pat quoted during his stream called it "Mass Effect 3 for Gays" which is a lot less hyperbolic but when it came time for the podcast he misremembered it as "9/11 for Gays". Then Woolie labeled that as the podcast segment on YouTube and now that's the meme we're stuck with.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
bayonetta always flaunted her power/sexuality against an enemy cast that was majority male or male-coded, so it’s hard to see her having no interest in guys at all. it is difficult to platonically grind your heel against a fallen dude’s scalp while calling them a bad boy. add that to Luka being her favorite suitor/chew toy from the beginning and it wouldn’t have been hard to play this off right, but bayo 3 did not do that. instead it made him into a whinging werewolf and the interdimensional Ur-Boyfriend while flicking Jeanne away like a paper towel

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I think there's plenty to be mad at with the actual story as presented without bringing headcanon into it

like how Singularity absolutely profoundly sucks as a villain. Just the most talentless bargain-bin attempt at Thanos.

choopercabra
Aug 8, 2006
I see, so basically a Harley/Ivy situation then.

Blockhouse posted:

I think there's plenty to be mad at with the actual story as presented without bringing headcanon into it

like how Singularity absolutely profoundly sucks as a villain. Just the most talentless bargain-bin attempt at Thanos.

And the out-of-nowhere fairy stuff, if you're going to say there are fairies in this world at least make them the new enemies.
Fighting evil fairy tale creatures would have been more interesting than green blobs and clouds.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War
Reggie just started Priority: Sur'kesh. They might get to Javik next week

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

theCalamity posted:

Reggie just started Priority: Sur'kesh. They might get to Javik next week

If they don't take Javik to Thessia then I will riot.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.
https://twitter.com/PatStaresAt/status/1606212745942118400

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
credit to grouchio

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Well I just think it’s nice that Groucho is getting credit for something

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I don't

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
that dramatic end-credits dance sequence would have been very nice if literally anything about the series had justified/led up to it first

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Christmas Eve react stream replaced by extended therapy session.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

My girlfriend had a similar food situation as Pat's so that sure has been a time for us watching the stream.

It's a fun couple stream because sometimes I'm Paige and she's pat and other times it's the other way around.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Mordin wanting to cure the genophage has completely destroyed Woolie's worldview, he just can't comprehend the fact that Mordin was feeling extremely guilty over his actions to re-seed the genophage in ME2.

At least he can't escape from Wrex being angry with him, that's very funny.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Judge Tesla posted:

Mordin wanting to cure the genophage has completely destroyed Woolie's worldview, he just can't comprehend the fact that Mordin was feeling extremely guilty over his actions to re-seed the genophage in ME2.

At least he can't escape from Wrex being angry with him, that's very funny.

I knew it was going to come to this listening to Woolie argue with pat saying "Look Moridin says he's the smartest man in the galaxy and he said it had to be done so I'm just saying it had to be done". He doesn't get subtext at all sometimes and is very willing to bend to 'authority'.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

It's not his fault, he was raised biblical

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
it's here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6DuUrdvgUI

highlight is the crushing silence at the 38 minute mark

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
There are some real zingers in today's ME3 session.

"I like how this game merely keeps telling us, at every opportunity, that we hosed up rather than kill a character"

It's almost poetic

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Oxxidation posted:

it's here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6DuUrdvgUI

highlight is the crushing silence at the 38 minute mark

I saw she was back on this week’s episode and got excited. She’s a good foil for our favorite morons and I hope she continues to pop in.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yeah she's incredible with them, the first guest to really "fit" imo, if she became a part of the crew or at least a like monthly guest that'd be fantastic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
Woolie needs to LP GOW:R to give Suzi another excuse to come on for another great spoilercast.