Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

supersnowman
Oct 3, 2012

sum posted:

Oryx claims they've captured several hundred Russian AFVs, even if you divide that by a few times for vehicles that were never actually recovered or completely totaled it's still a lot. I can think of plenty of videos where Ukrainians are incidentally shown driving Russian captures. That said, the fact that they can't repair loving ex-Soviet AFVs is pretty damning.

The numbers seem exaggerated but Ukraine not having spare parts isn't that surprising to me. The country is broke so they probably never had the $$$ to make/buy spare parts.

They might also count as captured a bunch of AFV which are beyond repair for propaganda value. If you only show one side of a BMP, who know if the entire inside of it is destroyed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Ardennes posted:

I am very doubtful that a stealth bomber would actually be able to penetrate Russia/Chinese airspace undetected in 2022. You would probably be better off with a long range suicide drone.

I would also make this assessment if Ukraine hadn't just flown aircraft into a heavily defended airbases in central Russia, twice, during the last couple of months. Something must be hosed up with their air defences at the moment for that to happen.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

None of these are the event I'm talking about. Don't poo poo up the thread every time you have a thought, pedantic bitch

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Zudgemud posted:

I would also make this assessment if Ukraine hadn't just flown aircraft into a heavily defended airbases in central Russia, twice, during the last couple of months. Something must be hosed up with their air defences at the moment for that to happen.

Plus, while I’m sure the B-21 will carry the full suite of gravity bombs, missiles and glide-bombs exist.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Zudgemud posted:

Sure is, but is it helping them win in any way?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

None of these are the event I'm talking about. Don't poo poo up the thread every time you have a thought, pedantic bitch

I find that most of the time someone claims the news didn’t cover something or suppressed the news, they are really saying they just didn’t read the news. Or sometimes it’s just something they misremembered.

Sometimes what they mean is “Okay, it was reported, but it didn’t get the traction I would have preferred.”

So maybe the western media all got together to hide the one specific instance you’re talking about but have not named or described in detail. Would be interesting if that’s the case!

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Zudgemud posted:

It wasn't a bomber, it was "long-range suicide drone" that flew really low. Flying a stealth bomber for long-range strikes at low altitude is just a waste of money

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

mlmp08 posted:

I find that most of the time someone claims the news didn’t cover something or suppressed the news, they are really saying they just didn’t read the news. Or sometimes it’s just something they misremembered.

Sometimes what they mean is “Okay, it was reported, but it didn’t get the traction I would have preferred.”

So maybe the western media all got together to hide the one specific instance you’re talking about but have not named or described in detail. Would be interesting if that’s the case!

Don't poo poo up the thread every time you have a thought, pedantic bitch

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

mlmp08 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9O94UTDAJQ

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Don't poo poo up the thread every time you have a thought, pedantic bitch

I just want to know about the attack you heard about that western media completely refused to report.

It could be an interesting event.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Zudgemud posted:

:nsa:

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

mlmp08 posted:

I just want to know about the attack you heard about that western media completely refused to report.

It could be an interesting event.

Missiles hitting a repairs base is pretty unremarkable. You don't have any sincere curiosity about this, so I won't answer you.

If I were to reply to you in your own tone, I would demand you tell me where I said anybody "refused" to report this missile strike. But because I'm not annoying by nature, I won't.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Missiles hitting a repairs base is pretty unremarkable. You don't have any sincere curiosity about this, so I won't answer you.

Weak.

Sounds like you’re just full of poo poo then. It’s not “pedantic” to see an extraordinary claim and question how or why someone came to believe it. It is pedantic to explain what pedantic is and isn’t, I guess, so got me there.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

It wasn't a bomber, it was "long-range suicide drone" that flew really low. Flying a stealth bomber for long-range strikes at low altitude is just a waste of money

Reportedly the latest one was shot down, but still nailed some dudes on the ground.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

sum posted:

Oryx claims they've captured several hundred Russian AFVs, even if you divide that by a few times for vehicles that were never actually recovered or completely totaled it's still a lot. I can think of plenty of videos where Ukrainians are incidentally shown driving Russian captures. That said, the fact that they can't repair loving ex-Soviet AFVs is pretty damning.

I am sure there are some captures, but in recent months, what has been reported seems have pretty small. It is also unclear how many "captured" or "abandoned" vehicles were just left behind during the early days of the war.

There is the same issue with destroyed vehicles as you never quite know what you are looking at because Oryx never verifies or provides any additional information on what they post. In addition, they list damaged vehicles as "lost."

Basically, I am sure there are captured vehicles (on both sides), but if I am expected to believe Oryx numbers (beyond the expected losses in combat) there just needs to be a lot more work.

Btw, losses are still probably still high, 8-10,000 pro-Russian forces have likely have been killed at this point (with 30,000+ wounded), that is going to lead to hardware losses. But only so far.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

mlmp08 posted:

Weak.

Sounds like you’re just full of poo poo then. It’s not “pedantic” to see an extraordinary claim and question how or why someone came to believe it. It is pedantic to explain what pedantic is and isn’t, I guess, so got me there.

You seem a little mad that I picked at your individual words and ignored what you were actually trying to say. Do you ever wonder why nobody seems to like you? It's because this is how you act

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

You seem a little mad that I picked at your individual words and ignored what you were actually trying to say. Do you ever wonder why nobody seems to like you? It's because this is how you act

I’m just waiting for evidence of the attacks on Ukrainian military refit depots that were wholly unreported by western media. That would be a legitimately interesting thing to read about. If you can’t provide it or made it up or misremembered, fine, a waste of time.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

mlmp08 posted:

I’m just waiting for evidence of the attacks on Ukrainian military refit depots that were wholly unreported by western media. That would be a legitimately interesting thing to read about. If you can’t provide it or made it up or misremembered, fine, a waste of time.

Talking to you feels like a waste of time for sure

Cromulent_Chill
Apr 6, 2009

mlmp08 posted:

What do you get out of doing this poo poo?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Cromulent_Chill posted:

What do you get out of doing this poo poo?

It would be legitimately interesting if SJP’s claim was true.

But it sounds like it’s probably bullshit, which is less interesting.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
How can it be proven that it wasn't reported on if any report on it means it was reported on?

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020

A Bakers Cousin posted:

Id say small arms make a huge difference and the idea the you compare what causes the most casualties as the main stay of battle seems overly simplified

were you infantry, by chance?

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

mlmp08 posted:

It would be legitimately interesting if your claim that I said anybody "refused" to report this event was true. Unfortunately, it sounds like it's bullshit, which means that you are again a bitch

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

lol there was one where Ukraine made a big propaganda thing about it, scolded France for the thermal imaging gear in a BMP-3, showed brave Ukrainian patriots repainting them blah blah blah and then a cruise missile blew up the whole workshop a day or so later.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Oh my god just shut the gently caress up already

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Talking to you feels like a waste of time for sure

It is, so just insult him and move on like everyone else

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

It would be legitimately interesting if your claim that I said anybody "refused" to report this event was true. Unfortunately, it sounds like it's bullshit, which means that you are again a bitch

Now you are mad just mad when you could be posting up evidence of your claim.

Cromulent_Chill
Apr 6, 2009

mlmp08 posted:

Ok but the way you call out posters creates a situation where we don't know if you don't believe that strikes occurred on such targets or if your concern is the level of coverage those strikes received in the west. Or is that the point?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Cromulent_Chill posted:

Ok but the way you call out posters creates a situation where we don't know if you don't believe that strikees occurred on such targets or if your concern is the level of coverage those strikes received in the west. Or is that the point?

It could be either? I am curious as to whether this is a case of strikes that were reported, but the poster just didn't see the news. This is one of the most common things when someone thinks the news "wholly unreported" an event. The most boring common answer is the news did report it, but the viewer never read or saw it.

It could also be an example of one of the exaggerated or fabricated claims (like how Ukraine has shot down drat near half the Russian Air Force or how Russia has blown up more HIMARS than have ever existed inside Ukraine)

Or it could be, and would be most interesting, if this is an event that actually took place credibly, but the western media decided not to report it.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

mlmp08 posted:

Now you are mad just mad when you could be posting up evidence of your claim.

I have no desire to post evidence that anybody "refused" to report on this event, because I never said that.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Look it's very simple. Just stop responding to him, stop touching the poop, that's all you need to do you neurotic bastards

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

I have no desire to post evidence that anybody "refused" to report on this event, because I never said that.

ok. Can you post any semblance of description of the event which the western media "wholly unreported" instead? Like with dates and locations? Or a non-western link?

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Frosted Flake posted:

lol there was one where Ukraine made a big propaganda thing about it, scolded France for the thermal imaging gear in a BMP-3, showed brave Ukrainian patriots repainting them blah blah blah and then a cruise missile blew up the whole workshop a day or so later.

Pfff that was like the start of this whole mess

https://twitter.com/snekotron/status/1515569148918738946

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

code:
 # Add a 50% chance of including a pedantic statement
        if random.random() < 0.5:
            response += "\nIn addition, I am also prone to pedantry, as I am deeply concerned with the accuracy and precision of language."

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

mlmp08 posted:

ok. Can you post any semblance of description of the event which the western media "wholly unreported" instead? Like with dates and locations? Or a non-western link?

Since you cannot post anything resembling an instance where I claimed that anyone "refused" to report on this event, I demand an sincere apology for exaggerating and editorializing what I said. Not sincere like your obviously fake sincere curiousity btw, sincere like human beings mean it

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan
on 9/26 a ukrainian splinter cell operating under command of the UK detonated the nord stream pipeline - i still haven't seen that reported

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Since you cannot post anything resembling an instance where I claimed that anyone "refused" to report on this event, I demand an sincere apology for exaggerating and editorializing what I said.

oh my god, never mind, lmao

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
Just had a thought. A couple months ago the Russians blew up some dedicated repair facilities, and then some mechanical production yards. This went entirely unreported in the West, but also didn't get much coverage in Russian telegram. Just goes to show you, everybody wants war to be about epic drone killstreaks, but it's really about keeping the workers safe and productive.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Sounds interesting, got any links reference that event?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

The only thing I really remember about the repair plant story is someone pointing out the reporter stumbled while speaking in mova and the technician was just speaking russian the whole time.