Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

KingKapalone posted:

We're off at&t. Calling her number goes straight to an un-setup voicemail. Same voicemail message my parents have if they miss my call.

Yeah, what happened here is her number was ported to Xfinity , but since they are saying the device IMEI is non compatible , it’s basically just a number sitting without service on Comcast.

There are two things you can do:
#1 : the short term fix is find some device, whatever device, is eligible to work on Comcast’s system and get a SIM card for it. Basically, getting whatever the hell will work so she can get phone calls.

#2. So obviously a 14 , 14 pro, whatever should work on Xfinity. But the issue is Xfinity does not have the IMEI registered in the system. And since the 14 is eSIM only, there’s also no work around of getting a physical SIM and popping that in. So literally, you are at Xfinity’s mercy of them taking the phone IMEI , registering it with their network, which once it’s registered THEN it can work fine. This will require you calling and probably asking to first get to tech support , then keep asking to get escalated until you find whatever poor bastard of an employee knows how to add IMEIs to the registered list.

As I mentioned in another thread , I have no idea on what the actual logistics are , what the timings are, and I just assume they surely can get it set. It sucks man, Comcast obviously is not exactly known for customer service , so I wouldn’t expect a quick fix.

FYI in the meantime another stop gate thought is you can get her a google voice number so she can at least make calls / texts on Wi-Fi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Need someone from level 3 tech support to fix it.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

This a carplay question that is probably stupid. Is there a way to have the stock iphone podcast app play only downloaded podcast episodes if I’m using carplay, or should I get a better app?

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

i updated a while ago, but i forgot to ask. did the new version of ios go full throttle on the white levels on the main screen? for whatever reason my white end of the spectrum looks super high. is there a way to reduce this?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

abelwingnut posted:

i updated a while ago, but i forgot to ask. did the new version of ios go full throttle on the white levels on the main screen? for whatever reason my white end of the spectrum looks super high. is there a way to reduce this?

Maybe check your True Tone setting in display and brightness?

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

abelwingnut posted:

I haven't noticed any change, but you can reduce the white level in Settings > Accessibility > Display & Text Size > Reduce White Point

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I'm annoyed by Apple's bullshit restrictions and am glad the EU is loving them over royally.

I've installed Paris' Metro planning and ticket app, and it suggests to be possible to use NFC and buy tickets in-app. I was already wondering about it, but looks like they've developed the app on a common development environment for both Android and iPhone and just disabled the relevant things for latter, without adjusting the in-app intro pages (which ironically used an iPhone frame as a phone illustration).

Go gently caress yourself, Tim Apple.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Combat Pretzel posted:

I'm annoyed by Apple's bullshit restrictions and am glad the EU is loving them over royally.

I've installed Paris' Metro planning and ticket app, and it suggests to be possible to use NFC and buy tickets in-app. I was already wondering about it, but looks like they've developed the app on a common development environment for both Android and iPhone and just disabled the relevant things for latter, without adjusting the in-app intro pages (which ironically used an iPhone frame as a phone illustration).

Go gently caress yourself, Tim Apple.

You can buy tickets in-app but you have to have a physical transit card to load them onto via NFC.

Paris’s transit authority finally made a deal with Apple, so there’ll be direct (no card needed) access coming in 2023.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Is there a way to show my phone battery level on the always-on lock screen? I can add a widget for my airpod batteries but can’t find the one for the actual device.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Kalman posted:

You can buy tickets in-app but you have to have a physical transit card to load them onto via NFC.

Paris’s transit authority finally made a deal with Apple, so there’ll be direct (no card needed) access coming in 2023.
Interesting. Looking it up, it says "by 2024".

Regardless, the dreaded discussion: Apple should allow people to bypass their payment processor and allow to send NFC data regardless of any deals.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Rolo posted:

Is there a way to show my phone battery level on the always-on lock screen? I can add a widget for my airpod batteries but can’t find the one for the actual device.

I’ve always wondered what the phone uses to decide which device it shows on this. I usually have the phone, watch and AirPods connected and if will usually pick one of them over the phone. It’s a shame you can’t just swipe in it to switch between them.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

EL BROMANCE posted:

I’ve always wondered what the phone uses to decide which device it shows on this. I usually have the phone, watch and AirPods connected and if will usually pick one of them over the phone. It’s a shame you can’t just swipe in it to switch between them.

see also: HomeKit devices in control center. It sucks they keep moving around.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Combat Pretzel posted:

Interesting. Looking it up, it says "by 2024".

Regardless, the dreaded discussion: Apple should allow people to bypass their payment processor and allow to send NFC data regardless of any deals.

NFC data is freely usable right now, it's just payment type NFC that is blocked. I'm not a fan of doing free for all on that kind of traffic given how easy is to clone/sniff.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

mawarannahr posted:

see also: HomeKit devices in control center. It sucks they keep moving around.

Yeah, I think it's more of an annoyance more than anything, but understand their thought process - they're trying to display the most often used items by "adapting" the interface to the user's preferences.

From a usability perspective, moving around objects is bad for a user's muscle memory, so it can be pretty annoying.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Anyone ever had Siri just *stop* working? Like not recognizing voices or, at best, going "working on it" and then "an error occurred." I rarely to never even use it, but I was having issues with using hands free calling with my cars Apple Link or whatever it's called. I *thought* it was the mic in the car that was messed up, but it turns out that it's my phone and none of it works even outside of the car.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Try a reboot? Sometimes the remote end is having issues too and you get nothing but errors for an hour or so.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Little niggling quirks / bugs like that pop up from time to time even on Tim’s perfect phone. A reboot usually fixes everything. I also force quit apps often (not gonna help you in this case) and force airplane mode on/off although have had to do that less in the last couple years of phones to quash temporary bugs.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

EdsTeioh posted:

Anyone ever had Siri just *stop* working? Like not recognizing voices or, at best, going "working on it" and then "an error occurred."
I had this problem and the “fix” was to switch Siri to UK English. Which did actually fix it but weird.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

smackfu posted:

I had this problem and the “fix” was to switch Siri to UK English. Which did actually fix it but weird.

I've done reboots; they did nothing, and I actually did that too! It worked for a couple of days and then stopped.

EDIT: wait, no, I didn't. I changed my default keyboard from English (US) to English (UK) which fixed the speech to text for a couple of days, but not Siri. I think you changing the Siri location just disabled Siri and then re-enabled it, which sometimes works.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Maybe Australian English? So sad.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Actually holy poo poo that fixed it hahahahahaha rad.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Apple weather says it's clear, but I look up in the sky and there's a layer of overcast and not a single star is visible.

I'd bitch like hell if only I knew who to bitch at 😟

Oh wait did Report An Issue but all it lets you do is report actual conditions vs what Weather thinks it is

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Dec 28, 2022

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Binary Badger posted:

Apple weather says it's clear, but I look up in the sky and there's a layer of overcast and not a single star is visible.

I'd bitch like hell if only I knew who to bitch at 😟

Oh wait did Report An Issue but all it lets you do is report actual conditions vs what Weather thinks it is

For my city, all the official meteorology equipment is all the way at the airport on the east end, so it's entirely possible for ~95% of the city to have different cloud coverage and higher temperatures by 1-3 degrees Celsius on average.
And it's large enough that only part of the city may be experiencing rain while the south or north isn't getting any.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Dec 28, 2022

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Yeah well I'm looking at a satellite map and it clearly shows a cloud front over the entire area I live, maybe it'd be clear a few hundred miles to the south

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Ugh with one of the last couple updates, using Siri to control HomeKit stuff has gotten even more tedious.

We have outdoor Halloween/Christmas decorations on a Meross smart switch. It’s named “Jack the Pumpkin King” because my son is obsessed with him.

“Turn on jack the pumpkin king” now results in Siri trying to play a song called exactly that.

“Turn jack the pumpkin king on” works.

It’s like that for a couple of my accessories as well and is super annoying to try to remember the exact phrasing needed for Siri to bless me with proper functionality.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Ugh with one of the last couple updates, using Siri to control HomeKit stuff has gotten even more tedious.

We have outdoor Halloween/Christmas decorations on a Meross smart switch. It’s named “Jack the Pumpkin King” because my son is obsessed with him.

“Turn on jack the pumpkin king” now results in Siri trying to play a song called exactly that.

It’s like that for a couple of my accessories as well and is super annoying to try to remember the exact phrasing needed for Siri to bless me with proper functionality.

Yep, I tend to name my sMaRt stuff with simple one word phonetic names to make this easier. I also change the name of AirPlay stuff like Sonos with a 1-, 2- at the beginning so I can sort them the way I want.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

EdsTeioh posted:

Anyone ever had Siri just *stop* working?

Smh Nobody wants to work anymore.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

This definitely sucks, but if you have something specific and frequent like your decorations then create a siri shortcut specifically for them.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

~Coxy posted:

This definitely sucks, but if you have something specific and frequent like your decorations then create a siri shortcut specifically for them.

Shortcuts are only applicable to the device you create them on though, aren’t they? We use HomePods for a lot of Siri stuff.

It’s like the Roomba app. It’s not HomeKit compatible, so they have a section where you can create Siri Shortcuts. But that means I can only start the Roomba from my phone. Saying the phrase to a HomePod just confuses it.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Inner Light posted:

Yep, I tend to name my sMaRt stuff with simple one word phonetic names to make this easier. I also change the name of AirPlay stuff like Sonos with a 1-, 2- at the beginning so I can sort them the way I want.

I'm gonna spend today making an album to upload to apple music - merzbow-like electronic screeching and static with track names like "living room" and "porch light"

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
14 Pro Owners: How is the Dynamic Island? Meaningful UI improvement? Just kinda cool? Annoying?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

doingitwrong posted:

14 Pro Owners: How is the Dynamic Island? Meaningful UI improvement? Just kinda cool? Annoying?

Yes, depending on the situation. The most annoying aspect of the dynamic island is the reversal of tap/long press.

It should be: Tap for quick controls, long press to go back to the app.

Instead it’s the exact opposite and quite annoying!

JNCO BILOBA
Nov 22, 2005

I like the island, it’s nice for timers, music, following sports. Less a game changer and more a tangible convenience for light phone-based multitasking.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

I don’t mind it visually, but I don’t really understand how to use it except to quickly switch between Maps and Spotify.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's a stopgap feature until Tim signs off on a way to get the cameras behind the display anyways. Everyone wants the notch gone, the island is just a way to pretend it's not a notch.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
I just got my 14 pro today, actually bought it from an Apple store this time because it was going to be like a months wait to get it online.

I like how they made it just slightly different so you can't use a 13 Pro case. Like it fits but the lock button is constantly held down.

Love the always on display and the only time I notice the dynamic island is in awful.

Also yes I am an idiot who definitely didn't need to upgrade but, come on! It's purple!!!

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Along those lines, we bought an iPad Pro case recently where they clearly just figured out the biggest camera cutout they would need to support any gen and sold it as compatible. Old case we were replacing had a tiny cutout and the new one was huge.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

track day bro! posted:

I like how they made it just slightly different so you can't use a 13 Pro case. Like it fits but the lock button is constantly held down.

The 12 pro and 13 pro were like that too. Just different enough that the cases weren’t compatible.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

doingitwrong posted:

I think it's a cool idea, but the 99 times out of 100 that I see it, it's just a stupid podcast cover art on the left and a meaningless VU meter on the right.
For playing music or podcasts it doesn't actually serve any function except as a quick-app-change if you tap on it, and it makes the notch bigger than the 13.
It's also slightly buggy, for example if you switch apps a lot sometimes it will get confused and stop showing you what was in the Island previously.

In conclusion, Dynamic Island is a land of contrasts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

~Coxy posted:

In conclusion, Dynamic Island is a land of contrasts.

Really just a perfect thread title