Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Upset no Sick Hack ending so I could get a chibi Kikuri av

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

finally got to watch the last episode, love the akfg cover, beautiful final few shots

i knew this show was gonna be good based on the staff but was not expecting it to be a first-ballot hall-of-famer

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

kirtar posted:

Hello there

Whoa, how long has your username been "kirtar" for? It was at least your username from early this year.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Tales of Woe posted:

finally got to watch the last episode, love the akfg cover, beautiful final few shots

i knew this show was gonna be good based on the staff but was not expecting it to be a first-ballot hall-of-famer

I love the super chill ending, it's nice being alone with Bocchi's thoughts and they're not popping off like crazy for once.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Delphisage posted:

Whoa, how long has your username been "kirtar" for? It was at least your username from early this year.

I haven't changed it, so since regd

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Upset no Sick Hack ending so I could get a chibi Kikuri av

you'll have to fight me for it if season 2 has one

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking
finally got anime time after a busy weekend and the ending owned, especially the concert. lots of cool little character shots. it makes me happy to see bocchi at peace (even though the stage dive happens like 30 seconds later.)

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

kidcoelacanth posted:

i will never forget (the first festival song) may well end up being my favorite of all the songs in this show, which is a tall order

mines still karakara but i think that's #2 on my tier list now

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Here's a long interview with the main staff on the anime (Series Director Keiichiro Saito, Character Designer And Chief Animation Director Kerorira, Animation Producer Shouta Umehara) covering stuff like not only making the walk cycles of each main character different to suit their characters but also the way they smile, their body language, their non-verbal communication as well as how the non-verbal communication between the different characters is different. Also for some band scenes they filmed actual musicians playing the songs to use as a basis for the animation but also coached them on the specific characertizations of the characters and how that'd come out when they were on stage, but also how that changed as the show progressed.

https://blog.sakugabooru.com/2022/1...shouta-umehara/

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Big Leg posted:

finally got anime time after a busy weekend and the ending owned, especially the concert. lots of cool little character shots. it makes me happy to see bocchi at peace (even though the stage dive happens like 30 seconds later.)

My favorite shot out of the whole concert was after the equipment malfunction, Kita's impromptu solo, Bocchi playing slide guitar, and after playing lead without her bottom string until the rest Bocchi takes a deep breath and just stares towards the ceiling motionless. There's no jubilation or irritation or anticipation of what comes next. She's on a performer's high from frantically dealing with the mishap and just needs those few precious seconds of relief to re-center and get back to business. It's little things like that that aren't strictly necessary from a utilitarian point of the view that contributes to the feeling of relatability watchers get from her character. It's not just what she says and how she says it, it's her body language, her subtle mannerisms, the use of her eyes and the rhythm of her movements and speech that are all informed by her specific personality traits and coping mechanisms for her anxiety. It's why this Bocchi comes across as a real, expressive person while the socially anxious Bocchi from that other show rarely comes across as more than the paper-thin (if adorable) moeblob she is.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Those avatars made me watch the show btw. Good job.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Ranzear posted:

Those avatars made me watch the show btw. Good job.

Cloverworks getting their marketing budget's worth out of us

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

a taste for anyone on the fence about reading the manga

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

Super Jay Mann posted:

My favorite shot out of the whole concert was after the equipment malfunction, Kita's impromptu solo, Bocchi playing slide guitar, and after playing lead without her bottom string until the rest Bocchi takes a deep breath and just stares towards the ceiling motionless. There's no jubilation or irritation or anticipation of what comes next. She's on a performer's high from frantically dealing with the mishap and just needs those few precious seconds of relief to re-center and get back to business. It's little things like that that aren't strictly necessary from a utilitarian point of the view that contributes to the feeling of relatability watchers get from her character. It's not just what she says and how she says it, it's her body language, her subtle mannerisms, the use of her eyes and the rhythm of her movements and speech that are all informed by her specific personality traits and coping mechanisms for her anxiety. It's why this Bocchi comes across as a real, expressive person while the socially anxious Bocchi from that other show rarely comes across as more than the paper-thin (if adorable) moeblob she is.

it rules so much. it's cool that, like snowglobe mentioned, the production crew clearly spent just as much time on the rest of the cast too. there's an extended bit (timestamped theft from your helpful link) where shot by shot the camera zooms in on bocchi and she starts her internal monologue about her guitar breaking down (also the lyrics are like 'i've always been alone' lol). as that's going on her body movements force kita's eyes into the frame for a second (~:47) and it's very blatant on a rewatch how the shot compositions at that point are designed to show kita isn't just a clueless ball of extrovert energy winking at the audience; she's an extremely empathetic person who is almost intuitively aware of her friends problems.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.

Big Leg posted:

she's an extremely empathetic person who is almost intuitively aware of her friends problems.
Bocchi breaks a string: "I need to cover for this, she's in trouble!"

10 seconds after the song: "Say something to your fans!"

So hopelessly extroverted.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Big Leg posted:

it rules so much. it's cool that, like snowglobe mentioned, the production crew clearly spent just as much time on the rest of the cast too. there's an extended bit (timestamped theft from your helpful link) where shot by shot the camera zooms in on bocchi and she starts her internal monologue about her guitar breaking down (also the lyrics are like 'i've always been alone' lol). as that's going on her body movements force kita's eyes into the frame for a second (~:47) and it's very blatant on a rewatch how the shot compositions at that point are designed to show kita isn't just a clueless ball of extrovert energy winking at the audience; she's an extremely empathetic person who is almost intuitively aware of her friends problems.
its also really good growth for kita because back during the audition at starry nijika's sister's criticism of her was that she could only play while looking down at her hands

and during the starry concert when bocchi saves the show kita constantly keeps her eyes on bocchi to follow her lead but doesnt do anything to help her bring the audience back around

so its a really good three-step bit of growth for kita. in the audition shes too focused on trying to keep up, during the starry concert she recognizes theres a problem but relies on bocchi to lead them out of it, and during the festival she recognizes theres a problem and takes action herself to solve it.

polish sausage
Oct 26, 2010
Its really great cause Kita's helplessness at the starry concert is what made her go to ryo for extra lessons. Kita is a really great character and perfect for bocchi herself. And the manga just gets even better and god i really need a season 2 confirm.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Ibblebibble posted:

Cloverworks getting their marketing budget's worth out of us

They should send you some of those Hiroi beers (or at least some juice booze-xes)

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

I am sad every time I remember Nozaki-kun didn't get another season. It's not like it didn't have enough material.

I hope Bocchi, as another 4-koma, at least manages to get a second season. I need more of this crazy creative, beautiful style of animation!

Anyway, kudos for them keeping the joke of her father never having his face shown. Nearly two minutes of dialogue, too.

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.
The Album has been doing numbers, ranking high on the iTunes chart and one or both of the lyric videos for the latest songs have hit 1M views. Not seen it confirmed but the various related brands have seen at least sales boosts which would be a big deal for a second season.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
I hope if it gets another season they get the directorial team from 1 again. They really loving nailed it.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

A Yamaha sponsorship could clinch a second season, I think.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

a lot of the higher-level staff were already fans of the manga (to the point that one of them was constantly bugging the producers about when they could make an anime of it) so i imagine that the staff would mostly be kept.

Kwyndig posted:

yamaha was already on the production committee im pretty sure, hence all the yamaha kit in the last episode.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Ryo taps Bocchi's guitar, "This bad boy can fit so many sponsorships"

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Next season the first episode is them going to buy Nijima a new Ludwig drum kit and then Kita needs a Roland amp because the one she has at home just isn’t loud enough

Tired: using anime to sell $200 statues/model kits
Wired: using anime to sell $600 premium music equipment

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Generally I don't mind sponsorship when it makes sense for the show and real life music equipment brands do for Bocchi.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Generally I don't mind sponsorship when it makes sense for the show and real life music equipment brands do for Bocchi.

Only unrealistic thing is a bunch of high school kids being able to afford full Marshall stacks and Gibsons, and even that's handwaved by Ryo being a rich kid who spends all her money on new gear.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

pointlessone posted:

Only unrealistic thing is a bunch of high school kids being able to afford full Marshall stacks and Gibsons, and even that's handwaved by Ryo being a rich kid who spends all her money on new gear.

i think a lot of the amp equipment belongs to the venue. kita's borrowing from ryo, and bocchi's probably got a lot of things handed down from her dad over the years. it all feels very real with how money is generally a big part of the band's struggles

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

Endorph posted:

its also really good growth for kita because back during the audition at starry nijika's sister's criticism of her was that she could only play while looking down at her hands

and during the starry concert when bocchi saves the show kita constantly keeps her eyes on bocchi to follow her lead but doesnt do anything to help her bring the audience back around

so its a really good three-step bit of growth for kita. in the audition shes too focused on trying to keep up, during the starry concert she recognizes theres a problem but relies on bocchi to lead them out of it, and during the festival she recognizes theres a problem and takes action herself to solve it.

lavishly detailed concerts showcasing character growth ftw

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Kwyndig posted:

Cross promotion between Honda and Yamaha in "Super Cub" and "Bocchi the Rock!"

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

kidcoelacanth posted:

i think a lot of the amp equipment belongs to the venue. kita's borrowing from ryo, and bocchi's probably got a lot of things handed down from her dad over the years. it all feels very real with how money is generally a big part of the band's struggles

I suppose it's not outside of reasonable that they would have borrowed the Marshalls for the cultural fest. Just funny considering how much all the gear they're using costs.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

benefits of your drummer's sister owning a club

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

Popo posted:

The Album has been doing numbers, ranking high on the iTunes chart and one or both of the lyric videos for the latest songs have hit 1M views. Not seen it confirmed but the various related brands have seen at least sales boosts which would be a big deal for a second season.

About two weeks ago all five of the songs from the anime popped up on Amazon's top 50 in various places.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

The Bad Ending to Bocchi the Rock :ohdear:

https://twitter.com/jerkyjin/status/1608372095398084609?s=46&t=BoNH6F24VVvu5npFjoTEkw

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

hm, that art is lame

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

calvin taking adhd meds, for a modern generation

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Yeah gently caress that imo

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

The whole guitar just sitting inside a tiny wastebasket is pretty funny at least.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
tangential to Bocchi itself but amusing in wake of the show’s massive success
https://twitter.com/nifinof/status/1608710704034623489

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
lol
https://twitter.com/nifinof/status/1608713358450249729