Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Two skeletons having sex in a gym locker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Large Testicles posted:

back when i was working at a benz/chrysler dealership in like '06 we had a mercedes diesel eat poo poo so bad it snapped the cams in like 30 different pieces and the entire valve train was basically shattered. i had a picture on my potato phone but it's long since gone.

A bunch of the VW AAB 2.4D motors I imported ended up like this because the moron who last touched them wasn't aware that diesels have different thickness headgaskets and used the thinnest one without measuring the piston extrusion from the deck.

I still have some souvenirs from rebuilding them, including a camshaft snapped in 3 places and a connecting rod that got thrown through the block

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Two skeletons jerking off in a filing cabinet

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

It's perfect, thanks x2.

Also the repairs will probably cost more than I paid for my C2 :lol:

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

No, it's: Three skeletons having sex on a pile of Rusty forks

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Two skeletons in a filing cabinet, in a galvanized trash can, thrown down a flight of stairs.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
A head-on collision between a semi full of brass doorknobs and one full of steel chickens.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Seat Safety Switch posted:

This thread is surprisingly awesome.

Here's the infamous Furze video where you get to see an engine run with no head. Educational!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8gvgISVHak

Is it the oil supply that's the limiting factor here?

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LaURAgBgdU0

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Llewellyn posted:

Driving around Seattle today after yesterday's ice storm and checking out all the cars still stuck in ditches gave me a couple data points as far as car owner stereotypes go. Mostly trucks and subarus of course, the kind of people who think their car will somehow have traction on wet ice because the guy at the dealer said they can drive on everything. I've mainly been thinking about the one mini cooper I saw though. Someone yesterday saw all the news headlines saying not to drive and thought "well they're probably thinking about non-mini cooper owners."

Our winter storm last Feb was like that - cars stuck for days, in ditches, at the bottom of hills, etc. Lots of cars with the front clips torn off from hitting Jersey barriers.

It's all about not getting overconfident though. Yeah, I was in a Subaru, which helped with getting going (SO's Toyota couldn't even get out of the driveway). All the AWD and 4x4 in the world isn't going to help you turn or stop - I don't think I got much over 10 mph that entire week, except when I had some fun in a parking lot (probably got up to 20 then, turns out old Outback wagons do some very nice controlled slides in snow).

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S

Groda posted:

Is it the oil supply that's the limiting factor here?

yeah without it combusting or having valves there for a speedy piston to smack, that engine would (probably) have no problem free spinning to like 15k except the entire oiling system is reliant on the head being there too

e: not having a cooling system isn't helping things either

Large Testicles fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Dec 27, 2022

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Was putting a set of Drag Cartel cams into the K24 BRZ a couple of days ago, found yet another vibration related failure. Haltech ECU popped a code for exhaust cam sync a few hundred track miles ago, but it never came back so I forgot about it.

Noticed some chips in the head casting as I was looking everything over, then discovered that a stainless steel valve cover baffle broke from vibration, got sucked into the exhaust cam trigger wheel, and wrapped around the exhaust cam position sensor. Everything still ran fine, lol. Found a few other baffle spots that had cracked and would probably have caused much worse damage if they let go.

I've put about 900 competitive track miles on it in the last 3 months... so far:
2x broken throttle body to adapter bolts
1x dead dbw throttle body
1x set of header bolts
cracked valve cover baffle

Oh well, got a few mitigations in mind going forward.

1hr cam swap is pretty nice though

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
drat!

Also very impressive how much room there is around that engine compared to stock fa20

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Got to say, I don't see the point of the baffle being made out of stainless, being inside the actual oiled part of the engine. If it wasn't stainless it'd probably stand up a lot better to vibration without cracking.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

BraveUlysses posted:

Also very impressive how much room there is around that engine compared to stock fa20

This. It's like opening the hood of a 70s car with one of the smaller engine options, you can pretty much climb in there and work on it. Maybe have the family in there.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

wesleywillis posted:

Two skeletons jerking off in a filing cabinet

That or someone throwing gravel at the underside of the hood was always the most accurate take for me.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

A fork stuck in a garbage disposal

wait

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Got to say, I don't see the point of the baffle being made out of stainless, being inside the actual oiled part of the engine. If it wasn't stainless it'd probably stand up a lot better to vibration without cracking.

I was testing it for someone, I don't think he realized the vibration that these things see on track with the balance shafts removed. :v: We'll get it figured out.

BraveUlysses posted:

drat!

it sure makes the thing easy to work on in comparison, though the engine being moved back 6" kills the FA easiest clutch job ever thing

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
https://v.redd.it/zsds3f9zrl8a1/DASH_480.mp4

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Admittedly that DIY hydrographics step was pretty cool.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Thanks I hated it. I'm very upset I don't get to see the wheels in action.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

StormDrain posted:

They posted that later: https://youtu.be/IhI3DJdjSYQ

Bjork Bjowlob
Feb 23, 2006
yes that's very hot and i'll deal with it in the morning

StormDrain posted:

Same - I loved the creatively but I'd really want to see those wheels go through at least one hard braking manoeuver

Lighting the aerosol to pop the tyre back onto the bead is classic backyard mechanic tho

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I've used that jack trick to pop beads as well.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

If my winters survive the rest of the winter, I've been kinda wondering how I would break the bead on them so that I can remove them and repaint the wheels so they look a little bit less rusty.

Sagebrush posted:

Admittedly that DIY hydrographics step was pretty cool.

Years ago I read in Cars +Parts Magazine that that was a good way to paint pieces that might have little nooks and crannies and what not. I think they did that on one of their restoration projects.
Fill a bin with water, dump a bunch of paint on top and then dip the parts. THey used it for a bunch of suspension parts IIRC.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

wesleywillis posted:

If my winters survive the rest of the winter, I've been kinda wondering how I would break the bead on them so that I can remove them and repaint the wheels so they look a little bit less rusty.

Years ago I read in Cars +Parts Magazine that that was a good way to paint pieces that might have little nooks and crannies and what not. I think they did that on one of their restoration projects.
Fill a bin with water, dump a bunch of paint on top and then dip the parts. THey used it for a bunch of suspension parts IIRC.

I did the splatter paint look on my winter wheels. Bought them second-hand with scratches and scuffs so no real loss if they came out bad. I painted them flat white while the old tires were on, then literally splattered them with enamel paints from the hobby shop. The only thing I'd change is sealing them up after; white paint attracts brake dust like a MF.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Such a good idea I wish I knew last time I had to break some beads. I was trying to do it with my drat bucket loader and it went real lovely like. I threw in the towel and had a shop do it.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

NoWake posted:

I did the splatter paint look on my winter wheels. Bought them second-hand with scratches and scuffs so no real loss if they came out bad. I painted them flat white while the old tires were on, then literally splattered them with enamel paints from the hobby shop. The only thing I'd change is sealing them up after; white paint attracts brake dust like a MF.

siiiiick, would rinde.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
I pulled the clutch on the F350. It drove to where the clutch was pulled.

https://imgur.com/a/EdkByLG

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

cursedshitbox posted:

How?

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Replace "parrot" with "clutch".
https://youtu.be/vZw35VUBdzo

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

cursedshitbox posted:

:stare:.....when did it stop being a working clutch!

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

cursedshitbox posted:

lmao

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

They don't fuckin make em like they used to.

You decide if that's good or bad.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

cursedshitbox posted:

This has got a vibe of "have them dig a couple graves in the desert and show you where they are"

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

CommieGIR posted:

Knowing him, it rolled into whatever space he's working on it under its own power. Somehow, and probably smelling like death.

edit: goddamn I shouldn't skim. It loving did drive there! If it was anybody except CSB I'd be shocked, but there's still friction material on the clutch disc... it probably didn't explode into 52 card pickup until he cracked a bolt loose, but with the issues he mentioned after getting the new engine in, I'm not surprised at all.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Dec 29, 2022

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

I don't believe in higher powers but seeing pictures of that clutch that was supposedly still working has slightly changed my mind.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
That thing was holding together by a prayer, ’cause it didn’t even have a hope.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

CommieGIR posted:

80 miles prior.

The truck has had this squeak on decel for a little while. 2nd and 3rd gear only. high engine braking loads. Sorta the noise like when you shut an engine down and the fan belt chirps.
Tightened the belts. No dice. Replace belts since they were cracked. No dice. All the front accessory drive stuff spins fine enough without any reason for squeaks.
It continues and slowly becomes more common.

Some 400 miles later I'm getting this new noise that sounds like shuffling your feet on short carpet with the clutch pushed in. And I can tell the clutch is dragging when trying to shift into any gear from neutral. That's surely gonna break something. Clutch is actuating, fork looks fine-ish.

In the left turn lane getting ready to enter the entrance frame for the highway I start to let the clutch out and it dumps. almost rearending the car in front of me. Quick work on the brake prevented it. That's the last time the clutch worked, some 80 miles prior to where I pulled it out of the truck. On this stretch I mostly ran 4th gear spinning the engine good to get me to where I needed to go.
I floated gears and shut the engine down/started it back up to navigate surface streets. Now it screeches in all forward gears, loaded, unloaded, and even reverse.

Uncoupling from the camper, it still works. Transmission in 2wd- low range, 1st gear. Do a slooow burnout pulling out from under the camper as the engine fights the brakes. Final send is to float it to lo-3rd and cut a doughnut since it turns about that of a container ship before its parked where I pull the clutch out.

This truck makes maybe 200hp. The clutch came with the new engine I dropped in last year. Since the clutch looked new I didn't suspect anything. The engine/clutch has 6000 miles on it in this truck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me

shy boy from chess club posted:

Such a good idea I wish I knew last time I had to break some beads. I was trying to do it with my drat bucket loader and it went real lovely like. I threw in the towel and had a shop do it.

I've also heard you can break tire beads by jacking a car up, removing a wheel, positioning the loose tire and wheel beneath the brake rotor, and lowering the jack until the rotor and the weight of the car pushes the tire off the bead.

Like this.

PBCrunch fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Dec 29, 2022