Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

I wonder if this is what hosed up the official Indycar rumors for Automobilista 2. Felt like they were close to getting a real deal, it delayed the US 3 pack, and then it all fell through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I imagine the people at the actual racing series have absolutely no insight into this stuff and essentially auction the Video Game license off whenever it comes up.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Not good at all.

I still hope iRacing will get Le Mans back as well at some stage.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Glad I held off on getting on the Indy line of cars.

Edit:

Kind of warming up to the lmdh. Using it around other people gave me a better understanding of its weight and braking characteristics. I think I wasn't able to properly appreciate how fast it goes even when I feel like I'm being way too delicate and blasting past gt3s reassured me. Also I had bad luck and a crash to desktop so I missed quali for my first* ever IMSA race. So started back of the lmdh grid.

First ever IMSA race, first multiclass race, in a new car, what could go wrong? Well I got the green fine and discovered I was obviously much more comfortable on cold tyres than anyone else so started moving forward a few positions on the first lap which was extremely novel for me since I never do that.

Of course it couldn't last as I got hit (not my fault but just bad luck on cold tyres for the other guy caused him to hit me). So into the pits on the first lap. 5 minutes mandatory repairs. I decide to stay in to just cut some laps getting used to multiclass racing. Despite all that, I ended up 6th in class with positive irating and had a decent time moving through traffic and unlapping myself.

Carth Dookie fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Dec 22, 2022

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Yeah with the long races it always is good to take the finish regardless of how far down you are, there's enough attrition that you can get close to being positive on irating pretty much every time. I had a lockup tonight into the chicane at spa and speared right across the apex taking out another car, for which I apologized profusely, had about 3s/lap of damage and sat dead last in class but I kept going and ended up finishing p11, gaining SR and iR in the process just by staying with it and being there at the end.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
I can't seem to get a straight answer on what the minimum specs needed for VR are, I'm looking at a Quest 2 but I have Ryzen 5 3600X and a GTX970. I don't care about pretty for now, I just want to get into VR and upgrade later in the year. If either of those aren't good enough what's decent alternative that's not too extravagant?

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Walton Simons posted:

I can't seem to get a straight answer on what the minimum specs needed for VR are, I'm looking at a Quest 2 but I have Ryzen 5 3600X and a GTX970. I don't care about pretty for now, I just want to get into VR and upgrade later in the year. If either of those aren't good enough what's decent alternative that's not too extravagant?

"minimum specs" is kinda tricky because it depends what you're prepared to accept as the "minimum." I'm sure you could set the graphics back to 2009 level and VR would work but you might not be happy with it. Also the nasty thing about iRacing is that some tracks just chug a bit even on higher end hardware (I run a 3080 and get frame dips at Catalunya and Rudskogen and some others).

I used a Reverb G2 with an Nvidia GTX 1070.

This was achievable if I downscaled the resolution by 50%. Despite this the graphic fidelity wasn't too bad. I could still run decent graphics settings, and the added "depth" more than made up for the lower resolution. For me that was the minimum.

The Reverb G2 has a resolution of 2160 pixels by 2160 pixels per eye. So Half res was stil 1080. The Quest 2 has a resolution of 1,832 x 1920. So a lower starting point to begin with. You might be able to achieve a similar result downscaling the resolution on the quest.

That said, your 970 probably has 4GB of VRAM so that'll probably limit you further.

Solid 90fps is what you are aiming for. This will be smooth and smooth means less chance of motion sickness. From memory with the 1080 I would still get 70-80 and never below 60. IMO 60 is the minimum consistent FPS for it to be viable. Lower than that and its motion sickness city for me.

IMO you should look to a video card upgrade, and if you're going to do that, unless you get something just adequate for the task very cheaply, you may as well wait until you can get a decent card later unless the local prices of 1080s or even better 2080s are back down to sane prices near you.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

Thanks a lot, I think I'll go with a new GPU first in that case. I was looking at going all the way to a 3060ti as I've had the 970 since 2016 so I feel like I can justify a little more than I'd usually spend. A combination of prices and diminishing returns on graphics have kept me on the 970.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Fair.

I can say that going from a 1070 to a 3080 was night and day improvement though.

edit:

Thinking about it now, the LMDH damage model is pretty impressive. Hit the wall in practice and bits went everywhere and broke suspension arms and stuff. Really cool.

Also when I got hit in my race, my steering was bent, which is usually a death sentence for a car. 5 minutes of repairs +50 optional and it was like a new car. I was amazed.

Carth Dookie fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Dec 22, 2022

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah a 3060ti will be a big upgrade. Aside from the frankly crazy amount of ram it has for an xx60 card, the new features you'll gain by jumping 3 generations will help a lot too

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I also did an endurance race in the lmdh but ESS at spa. Got slammed into in the first turn and took 6 min of repairs. Still had a blast, car is good. I will say it feels a bit like a meatball magnet in the way the other BMWs used to be. I hope it's just a coincidence but yeah nothing worse than getting a meatball when the car is fine.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I really wish I could get a RTX 3080, but they are still so god drat expensive.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I don't know that any 30xx card is a great value since 40xx cards outperform and I thought they're priced pretty similarly.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

VelociBacon posted:

I don't know that any 30xx card is a great value since 40xx cards outperform and I thought they're priced pretty similarly.

lmao no, 30 series card prices are increasingly coming down (around $700-800 for some 3080s) and the 4080 is $1200.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

VelociBacon posted:

For price, unfortunately no, for performance it really depends. Games that have DLSS 3.0, yes absolutely. But if it doesn't, then performance isn't good enough to justify the cost.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

I might not be VR ready yet but tonight, on my 121st race, I got my first win and fastest lap to boot! Absolutely delighted. I qualified second and got a great start to lead into the first corner by over half a second. The nerves really started to go when I realised after a couple of laps that I really was faster than the chasing pack, just by a couple of tenths. With 3 laps to go and me five seconds in front, a backmarker I'd passed decided to stop on the racing line, cleaned out second and third and that was it. Certificate duly hung on the fridge under my son's 'I can float on my back' swimming certificate.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

Walton Simons posted:

I might not be VR ready yet but tonight, on my 121st race, I got my first win and fastest lap to boot! Absolutely delighted. I qualified second and got a great start to lead into the first corner by over half a second. The nerves really started to go when I realised after a couple of laps that I really was faster than the chasing pack, just by a couple of tenths. With 3 laps to go and me five seconds in front, a backmarker I'd passed decided to stop on the racing line, cleaned out second and third and that was it. Certificate duly hung on the fridge under my son's 'I can float on my back' swimming certificate.

Hell yeah! You never forget the first win, and it ever stops feeling good

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Just like floating on your back

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I tried a good old fashioned Rookies at USA.

It was a disaster. Qualified 2nd. I decided to cruise around and not involve myself out of politeness, the herd thinned itself out and I stupidly decided to try and push for the win and ended up Dale Earnhardting p2 in the middle of turn 3/4, like perfectly left rear bumper spun him out.

This poor D class guy still got positive SR and IR but I feel like a total jerk.

Only A class in the race finished second after using my bumper. After all that I couldn't catch P1 who was actually turning some good times.

Luckily they were mostly D and C class so it's not like a ruined some rookies night.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

God help me. I listed my GT Omega Apex on FB Marketplace.

6; Is this still available? So far.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Douchebag posted:

God help me. I listed my GT Omega Apex on FB Marketplace.

6; Is this still available? So far.

I assume this includes a text message from someone that literally just says “$25”

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

waffle enthusiast posted:

I assume this includes a text message from someone that literally just says “$25”

Not yet haha. And no questions asking if I have Zelle and what my phone number is. I did list it as local pickup only so far so we will see.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Stenhouse? Nah. It's Ricky Roundhouse now.
I got lucky with a very generous Santa this Christmas and finally started the migration to Fanatec with some clubsport V3 pedals. I have Logitech wheel and shifter and I wasn't sure how easy it would be to mix and match platforms but it was literally as simple as USB the pedals to the computer, calibrate, and done. I feel like some of the vibration cues in the pedals are not consistent/super accurate and I think that may be an issue with it not being synched to my wheel but other than that all I have to do is re-learn every braking point in every car I've ever driven in the last 4-ish years and I'll be better than ever.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

bigbillystyle posted:

I got lucky with a very generous Santa this Christmas and finally started the migration to Fanatec with some clubsport V3 pedals. I have Logitech wheel and shifter and I wasn't sure how easy it would be to mix and match platforms but it was literally as simple as USB the pedals to the computer, calibrate, and done. I feel like some of the vibration cues in the pedals are not consistent/super accurate and I think that may be an issue with it not being synched to my wheel but other than that all I have to do is re-learn every braking point in every car I've ever driven in the last 4-ish years and I'll be better than ever.

I have the V3’s with a CSL Elite wheel. I simply have the pedal vibration enabled in iracing and I feel like the feedback is good enough. I could probably run Fanalab behind it but I don’t know if that conflicts or not. I love my wheel/pedal combo and have no intention of changing unless it breaks.

Interested in a wheel stand? 😀

Edit: here is my set mounted on the Apex:

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Douchebag posted:

I have the V3’s with a CSL Elite wheel. I simply have the pedal vibration enabled in iracing and I feel like the feedback is good enough. I could probably run Fanalab behind it but I don’t know if that conflicts or not. I love my wheel/pedal combo and have no intention of changing unless it breaks.

Interested in a wheel stand? 😀

Is it still available? $25 firm, final offer. I've seen them for cheaper also you need to deliver.

E: so far one thing that I am feeling is easier is applying smooth throttle off the corners. I've just been doing some practice laps around Mosport in the NASCAR Truck and I definitely feel like it is easier to modulate the throttle and control wheel spin easier with these pedals. Maybe it's all in my head but my laps say otherwise.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

I’ll deliver it if you’re in the Pee Dee region of the Carolina’s.

And yeah the V3’s have great feel so modulating throttle and even using minor trail braking are much easier.

When I run the SK’s I like the brakes as far back as I can set them so I get the extra 3% in car adjustment because even the slightest pressure on the brakes late in the race can help you turn in the center. It’s like the smallest squeeze on the V3 to achieve that and it feels great

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Douchebag posted:

I’ll deliver it if you’re in the Pee Dee region of the Carolina’s.

And yeah the V3’s have great feel so modulating throttle and even using minor trail braking are much easier.

When I run the SK’s I like the brakes as far back as I can set them so I get the extra 3% in car adjustment because even the slightest pressure on the brakes late in the race can help you turn in the center. It’s like the smallest squeeze on the V3 to achieve that and it feels great

Truth. SKs need that rear brake late in the race. I tried running for points in SKs maybe in 2020 for a couple seasons and could never break the top 5 (Div 3 I think?) so maybe I'll give it another shot this season with ultra cheat code, spend money, go faster pedals.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

bigbillystyle posted:

Truth. SKs need that rear brake late in the race. I tried running for points in SKs maybe in 2020 for a couple seasons and could never break the top 5 (Div 3 I think?) so maybe I'll give it another shot this season with ultra cheat code, spend money, go faster pedals.

I ran the SK’s for a full season last year, mainly to earn the participation $$. I think I finished on the first page of my division which was good enough for me. It’s such a poo poo car class to run though. Fixed setups are generally junk and the opens are dominated by setup shops. And the SK is so under powered yet iRacing won’t make the tires smaller or less grippy (like real life SK’s).

I still like them though. Maybe I’ll run SoBo tomorrow.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Douchebag posted:

I ran the SK’s for a full season last year, mainly to earn the participation $$. I think I finished on the first page of my division which was good enough for me. It’s such a poo poo car class to run though. Fixed setups are generally junk and the opens are dominated by setup shops. And the SK is so under powered yet iRacing won’t make the tires smaller or less grippy (like real life SK’s).

I still like them though. Maybe I’ll run SoBo tomorrow.

Yeah I got away from them because they were becoming a little rookie lengendish with the way the races would go. Guys just full send on lap 1 trying to steal spots because it is so hard to pass in those cars until the tires wear out. But I also enjoyed many seasons worth of iDollars running open and fixed full seasons.

I just managed to get a full Xfinity race in with the new clubsports and I'll say the vibration was much more consistent on the oval. Much easier finding the edge with these with the vibration so I'll take that especially since its legacy Michigan this week and tire wear is king, even in open setup. Also it was the first time in forever I got to run a wire to wire green flag Xfinity race. So nice.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
https://twitter.com/iRacing/status/1613265150672531456

Formula Ford is comin'.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Hey that's what my front wing looks like after t1 every race!

Diplomat
Dec 14, 2009

Not that I don't enjoy more content, but at this point I feel like there are too many low powered open wheel cars on the service. Each new one just cannibalizes participation from the others.

I'll still buy it though.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

It's entirely possible that the Formula Ford would replace Skips, I don't see any way they're replacing the Vee in rookies but iRacing absolutely are that stupid.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

njsykora posted:

It's entirely possible that the Formula Ford would replace Skips, I don't see any way they're replacing the Vee in rookies but iRacing absolutely are that stupid.

The Formula Ford is significantly faster than the Vees, I could see it replacing the Skippy, which hasn't been run in real life in years and has been replaced at the actual Skip Barber School with the F4.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
They're still running, just in a different school. They were sold off when Skip Barber Racing School went bankrupt

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

ROAR was fun. Ran the GR86, finished 8th in class and 26th overall with only a 2x.

My old man back hurts like hell now. LOL.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Hows BearPope doing at Daytona?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I wish iRacing had the F1 cars from the late 80s / early 90s. Unless it does and I missed it.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I said come in! posted:

I wish iRacing had the F1 cars from the late 80s / early 90s. Unless it does and I missed it.

It has a 70s F1 car but that's it, the problem with historics usually is no-one actually wants to race them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017

Pablo Bluth posted:

Hows BearPope doing at Daytona?

We got 4 teams, the 1 lmdh team had an off and is ~15 laps down and all the gt3 teams are top 10 afaik.

Most of slot 3 so ~10 hours into it, one is slot 4 so ~6 deep.

Goin well all in all.