Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

HopperUK posted:

wow look at this person who doesn't care about Sif

hate dogs, do you? INTERESTING

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

OwlFancier posted:

Is there even a significant problem of "antisocial behaviour"? I feel like that's something that is well outside the current crop of Very Legitimate Concerns that people are having right now.

I take it you're not on Facebook, let alone in 'local' groups!
Full of "Heads up - saw a man walking down the street and it was dark - he's probably on the rob" type posts.

Unrelated:

watching Glass Onion and am an hour in and it reminds me a lot of "And then there were none" by Agatha Christie even though there's only been one murder so far. Probably the random people stuck together on an island.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Full of "Heads up - saw a man walking down the street and it was dark - he's probably on the rob" type posts.

I mean, sure but that's a constant thing and you can't asbo everybody on the street the economy would collapse.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

OwlFancier posted:

I mean, sure but that's a constant thing and you can't asbo everybody on the street the economy would collapse.

I'm sure Judge Dreadful (aka Kieth) could manage it.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I suspect, given the chance, the PLP would ASBO every non-white person under 30 and then every white person from a low socio-economic group and then be astonished when all their precious mortgage-havers voted Tory yet again.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

"And then there were none" by Agatha Christie

ah yes, the Most Gamer novel

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

:

watching Glass Onion and am an hour in and it reminds me a lot of "And then there were none" by Agatha Christie even though there's only been one murder so far. Probably the random people stuck together on an island.

I prefer the Exodus version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDw_849MGOI

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Elden Ring is significantly easier than every other Soulsborne game because with so much to do it’s easy to go off exploring whenever you get stuck. You’ll come back at a higher level and probably with fancy new gear too. In most other Souls games you’re often stuck down one main route, and if you’re stuck you have maybe one or two alternatives to try which are also balls hard. And it’s that or mindlessly re-run over previous areas to grind.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Well I am downloading it so in approximately 24 hours I should be able to confirm that :v:

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

If I can beat these games anybody can. Level your vigor and you'll be fine.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
The most difficult thing I've yet to beat is emacs.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Never give in to the Souls bullyboys. Just don't play the bad games, play the good games with difficulty settings.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

forkboy84 posted:

Never give in to the Souls bullyboys. Just don't play the bad games, play the good games with difficulty settings.

It’s this.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Lord Ludikrous posted:

Speaking of gaming, Warhammer is a great thing to be into as an adult, because by that point you typically have the income required to indulge in the hobby as well as experience and knowledge to make a good job of assembling and painting. Its also great for getting gifts, because while Warhammer isn't cheap by any measure, its at that sweet spot as an adult where its not too expensive for a Christmas gift.

The depressing downside of getting into Warhammer as an adult is that it becomes noticeable alarmingly fast if your eyesight or hand-eye coordination starts getting worse due to age.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
so this has been my morning so far, cw dead rodents

wake up

go to kitchen

find a mouse trap gone off but no mouse

look around

find assorted mouse parts and a collection of rat poo poo

start cleaning

rat appears

we observe one another

rat charges me

killed the rat

now there's a big nasty mess

now I get to play with jeyes fluid and expanding foam/steel wool!

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Souls games really aren't that hard, they are just different enough from most other games it takes a little bit to get into their groove and requires a style of play some people just don't get on with.

What I don't get is how people talk about them, you get the rabid fans who try and strong arm people into liking them and then you get the people who don't like them dumping on them with weird complaints.

Most people seem to understand not all games are for everyone but when it comes to the souls it's either "git gud" or "overhyped trash" grow up.

loving gamers.

Currently I'm playing Warhammer 3. The 3rd game in a series I really enjoy but still absolutely suck at.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

My biggest recommendation for Souls newcomers is to do it with a friend or two. Both for general quickstart advice and summoning them in for help. Elden Ring even has a mod to let you both stay in multiplayer together permanently.

I have a friend who wanted to try DS3, so two of us gave him tips until he was past the opening section, then played with him as a trio for the entire game. We absolutely blew through the game and had a total blast, and although you're very open to invasions from other players when you're a trio, DS3 weights invasions heavily in favour of the invaded player so we got a bunch of cool fights and never felt in danger of losing progress.

Everyone asks for an easy mode in Souls games, but it already exists and it's called bringing your friends.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Souls games don't really sound that interesting to me, I've already played Skyrim. Don't need to do that again.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Freudian posted:

Souls games don't really sound that interesting to me, I've already played Skyrim. Don't need to do that again.

I know it's late in the year, but cmon, put some effort in.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

Bugger it then, will pick it up and give it a crack at some point. If I suck poo poo at it I'm blaming you though :P

If you ever need a hand just start playing with yourself and the game becomes immeasurably easier.

DesperateDan posted:

so this has been my morning so far, cw dead rodents

wake up

go to kitchen

find a mouse trap gone off but no mouse

look around

find assorted mouse parts and a collection of rat poo poo

start cleaning

rat appears

we observe one another

rat charges me

killed the rat

now there's a big nasty mess

now I get to play with jeyes fluid and expanding foam/steel wool!

I see you R2 heavy attacked that rat with a cricket bat.

Z the IVth fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Dec 29, 2022

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Mega Comrade posted:

Souls games really aren't that hard, they are just different enough from most other games it takes a little bit to get into their groove and requires a style of play some people just don't get on with.

What I don't get is how people talk about them, you get the rabid fans who try and strong arm people into liking them and then you get the people who don't like them dumping on them with weird complaints.

Most people seem to understand not all games are for everyone but when it comes to the souls it's either "git gud" or "overhyped trash" grow up.

loving gamers

What made them click for me was when someone said to think of their game structure as something like classic 2D games.

In most cases you need to get from a to b and reach a checkpoint (bonfires/shortcuts).

You have to avoid or kill enemies in a certain way between you and the checkpoint or you get killed (often in one or two hits) that send you back to the last checkpoint.

It's just that the enemies and combat are more complex than just jumping on something and the levels are 3D.

I used to bounce off the games because I was going in expecting a hack and slash that I could just bash through. After the above comparison, I viewed each part of a map like levels to complete and it, weirdly, became a lot easier to learn enemy timings and behaviour. It also got a lot less frustrating when I died.

Tldr, it's not about gitting gud, but explaining that they're games about learning the patterns of the different little sections and trying to avoid getting hit while you make your way through them.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Z the IVth posted:

royal rat vanguard is usually one of my favourite little fights.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Kin posted:

Tldr, it's not about gitting gud, but explaining that they're games about learning the patterns of the different little sections and trying to avoid getting hit while you make your way through them.

That’s literally just gitting gud, guy.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Full of "Heads up - saw a man walking down the street and he was dark - he's probably on the rob" type posts.

Fixed that for you. Local groups are a cesspit.

E: Andrew Tate looks to have subcontracted his suicide note, because nobody comes back from this:

https://twitter.com/DPJHodges/status/1608241408057409537?s=20

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Kin posted:

Basically if you don't assume that you can just out-mash the enemy, leave enough stamina to escape their range after attacking and take a few seconds to learn how a new enemy attacks then that's most of the learning curve dealt with immediately. The number of people who just run into attacks over and over for several hours then pick up the biggest sword possible so they can play it like an incredibly slow and annoying button masher is incredible.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

History Comes Inside! posted:

That’s literally just gitting gud, guy.

I mean there's two forms of gitting gud, either you become incredibly adept at the basic fighting mechanics and memorize patterns, or you are naturally cautious and thorough and get all the pickups and keep all your souls and thus arrive at fights with more levels and gear than someone who dies a lot, and one of them is much harder than the other IMO. But seemingly it depends on the person as to which it is.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

Z the IVth posted:

had to resort to the air pistol spray and pray technique

called the borough council to ask for an assist but they said they quit the game years ago

no wonder there's a fuckin' rat problem

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014
While a grain platform can be used for corn, a specialized corn head is ordinarily used instead.

DesperateDan posted:

had to resort to the air pistol spray and pray technique

Did you camp him out or were you pre-equipped with the pistol?

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/Independent/status/1608356405412593664

:allears:

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

Salisbury Snape posted:

Did you camp him out or were you pre-equipped with the pistol?

went and got myself armed as soon as I noticed the rat turds in with the mouse parts

was not ready though, drat near poo poo myself

he drew on me, it was justified /raylan givens

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

His Divine Shadow posted:

All the games I ever own(ed) where bought like that. I found all these at my parents out back in a shed earlier this year.

Terra Nova has such a great cover

I don't think this is complete though.

Star Control III was good because it came with Star Control II and this incredibly huuuge printed map of hyperspace for it, must've been like A0 size.

I like how X-Wing vs Tie Fighter doesn't even have a Tie Fighter on the cover.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

DesperateDan posted:

went and got myself armed as soon as I noticed the rat turds in with the mouse parts

was not ready though, drat near poo poo myself

he drew on me, it was justified /raylan givens

Should use v.a.t.s next time

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
Why don't they make a light souls. Why's it got to be dark. I live in the uk my life is already grim darkness as it is

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Northern Souls

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

HopperUK posted:

wow look at this person who doesn't care about Sif

hate dogs, do you? INTERESTING

Sad because I wanted to keep fighting them, who the poo poo wanted to fight Sif??

Gael was a mechanically fantastic fight for my Strength build character because it really did feel like trading blows as equals at the end of all things, while an epic light show plays out.

The first time I saw him charging out of his own boss arena towards me like an over-excited puppy i just had a massive smile on my face which stayed on throughout my 30+ attempts to beat him with a range of different heavy weapons. (Greatswords turned out to be far better than any of the comedy ultra greatswords.)

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

OwlFancier posted:

Is there even a significant problem of "antisocial behaviour"? I feel like that's something that is well outside the current crop of Very Legitimate Concerns that people are having right now.

Yeh it's a huge problem because there has been a massive shift in focus since lockdown ended we've seen a new phenomenon of teenage lads bullying supermarket staff basically. idk how else to describe it, it's like they'll pick one store to terrorise and then do poo poo like walk out with baskets or trash the place , like "what you going to do call the police" knowing that 9/10 they won't bother because it's paperwork and the lads will be long gone before they show up. If it's a male manager they try to start a fight with him knowing that he'll get fired if he hits first or moved to a different store if it's self defence. The solution is security guards but they tend to target stores when the guard isn't there.

Shoplifting ok, these bastards made enough under lockdown, but this is targeting the staff and it seems to be happening country wide.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

learnincurve posted:

Yeh it's a huge problem because there has been a massive shift in focus since lockdown ended we've seen a new phenomenon of teenage lads bullying supermarket staff basically. idk how else to describe it, it's like they'll pick one store to terrorise and then do poo poo like walk out with baskets or trash the place , like "what you going to do call the police" knowing that 9/10 they won't bother because it's paperwork and the lads will be long gone before they show up. If it's a male manager they try to start a fight with him knowing that he'll get fired if he hits first or moved to a different store if it's self defence. The solution is security guards but they tend to target stores when the guard isn't there.

Shoplifting ok, these bastards made enough under lockdown, but this is targeting the staff and it seems to be happening country wide.

So do you have any actual statistics to back this up or is this just "feels bad out there"? Because I'd want more than anecdote before thinking Blairite pettt authoritarianism is the way forward

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
As lovely and deprived as where I am is I can't say that I've encountered that. Even in local news things.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I feel like a better solution to that is to give all store staff taser guns and encourage them to use them on anyone they don't like the look of. Would improve work immensely.

I can't say I've noticed teenagers being any shittier than normal though. You do get the odd group who are coming in just to be little shits but we had that before the pandemic, that's just kids.

E: or those catchpoles from asia, would be helpful for getting people out of the shop come closing time as well.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Dec 29, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

forkboy84 posted:

So do you have any actual statistics to back this up or is this just "feels bad out there"? Because I'd want more than anecdote before thinking Blairite pettt authoritarianism is the way forward

It's something that's happening and it's a known thing because Aldi just had to change policies because of it. It's anti-social behaviour, as in the definition of the term, and it's all there in the police and self reported crime statistics. The question is is the solution more security guards paid for by private firms to protect themselves, or landing these lads with a criminal record that will follow them round for life, when it's a behavioural pattern that can be traced back to medieval times?

Criminology: A Very Short Introduction by Tim Newburn is fantastic, he's not so much as a good comrade but that the actual facts are left wing, because it's an academic text he has to mention right wing theories but in writing them down it makes them look absolutely stupid.