Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

IDK what you're doing then. I never have to charge mid-day unless I put it on the charger wrong overnight or something.

Assuming it's OP's new toy, they're probably burning through the battery quicker because they're gazing lovingly at the thing, or just generally noodling around with it obsessively. My S7 lasts two days now, but when I first got it it barely made it through 1, because I was futzing around with it constantly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The Grumbles posted:

Assuming it's OP's new toy, they're probably burning through the battery quicker because they're gazing lovingly at the thing, or just generally noodling around with it obsessively. My S7 lasts two days now, but when I first got it it barely made it through 1, because I was futzing around with it constantly.

OP is suggesting their OLD watch would need to be recharged at 5 PM every day and were happy their NEW watch with a giant battery was at 65% at the end of the day. The latter is closer to my personal experience on my S7 (though I did notice a pretty big change with WatchOS 9, but it'll still be around 40% or so after a typical day with a workout).

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

OP is suggesting their OLD watch would need to be recharged at 5 PM every day and were happy their NEW watch with a giant battery was at 65% at the end of the day. The latter is closer to my personal experience on my S7 (though I did notice a pretty big change with WatchOS 9, but it'll still be around 40% or so after a typical day with a workout).

Yes I'm aware, I was referring to the new watch

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'll be honest, I don't think I could comfortably get more than a day out of my brand new S8, even with always-on disabled etc. I don't think I'm doing anything out of the ordinary.

I usually get up at 5 for an hour long walk/jog, then I'm pretty sedentary for the rest of the day with occasional getting up for food/drink/etc. I'd estimate that I' probably end the day with like 45% which is GREAT, don't get me wrong, but if I don't charge overnight (I know it doesn't take hours, just convenient when I sleep) then I'll probably be worried about hitting empty the next day.

So yeah, I think the watch CAN (and will, technically) last longer than a day, but I'm not sure I'd want to. Maybe it's a matter of just finding some time here and there to throw it on the charger, but really it's just so easy to pop it off at the end of the day and put it on in the morning that I'm not sure I'd change my routine even if I could.

Now if I could go two actual days and only hit 20% when I got to like 6-7pm on day two, THEN I'd start considering it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

All I need it to do is hold onto a charge long enough to get to my next shower, and get enough charge while I'm in the shower to last a day. So far the S8 is doing that. It never gets to a full charge but since it's only using about 50% a day it doesn't really matter.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Ultra easily fits under my hockey glove. Definitely keeping this bad boy and it’s 2-3 day battery life.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

My watch batteries were cursed on my 5 and 6. :iiam:

Honestly, I’m half-thinking there’s something janky with my backup that I’ve carried forward since like iOS 3, through a hundred betas. I really need to do a clean install, but setting up 100 apps, losing progress in games, and setting up all my work stuff again isn’t something I really want to spend the time doing.

I’ve figured it out.

Your bad luck with the watch is tied to the Detroit Red Wings missing the playoffs.

I have bad news for your future.

nom epique
Apr 24, 2022

by VideoGames
is the battery on the 40 mm SE significantly less than the bigger one?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

nom epique posted:

is the battery on the 40 mm SE significantly less than the bigger one?

I’ve had both the 40mm and 44mm and they both felt like they had similar battery lives. I would def get the size watch you prefer comfort wise.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

What does the green dot mean? I thought it was you met your exercise goal, but judging by Dec 2, it’s not?

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
I always thought it was “you did an exercise” as in started a workout

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I’m pretty sure your exactly right. I don’t have a workout logged for that day. Pretty sure it was a day my toddlers were home sick from daycare that day, which is usually enough to close my circles.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Dec 24, 2022

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

just venting that they're shutting down dark sky in a week or so and still they haven't added their complications to the weather app. ugh.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Got an Ultra for Xmas.

It’s a nice watch.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I actually love the flat screen way better than the rounded one.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
New ultra crew here too. Love the flat screen. Will never take it ultra marathoning/mountain climbing/scuba diving. Don’t care. Great watch.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

New ultra crew here too. Love the flat screen. Will never take it ultra marathoning/mountain climbing/scuba diving. Don’t care. Great watch.

Hella same.

Love the flat. It’s large but it suits me nicely.

The wife (who bought it) massively likes it over my older SE. She said it looks more like a proper watch.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Coward Tim make an Ultra Mini

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Got the extra button assigned to the flashlight. I’m surprised it’s such a limited list of what you can do with it, although I guess the shortcut button gives more options.

But drat this is a good looking watch.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I just upgraded to a 7 and goddam if the pairing process isn’t a pain in the rear end when it doesn’t work. Had to pair twice which is what I had to do a few weeks ago when I upgraded my phone.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I’m trying to think of a more sickening sound than hearing your watch glass clack off of a wall or doorknob because you were absentminded.

Thankfully the S8 glass seems to be more resilient than I am clumsy.

FOR NOW :ohdear:

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
So what's the longest anyone here managed to track a workout with GPS on a non-Ultra watch?

Mostly curious for my upcoming ski vacations. Being 7 hours on the tracks, I guess I have to stop the workouts while on the lift to stretch battery lifetime on my AW8? Does pausing stop heart rate and GPS tracking, too, or do I need to finish a workout for that?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I did a just-sub 4 marathon while mostly on LTE. It died within 10 mins of crossing the finish line.

I’ve done 4-6 hour snowboard/ski sessions, but that’s with my phone in my pocket. I didn’t bother pausing on the lifts either.

We’re headed to Tahoe next week to ski, so I’ll be interested to see how long the Ultra lasts.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Dec 27, 2022

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Phone in the pocket is still the big mystery, since there have been claims that the AW8 does track by itself regardless of the phone in the vicinity. But it's never been officially documented (--edit: nevermind, it has in form of a foot note in the watch calibration support article). I don't know what to make of that. More so because I have a 14 Pro which has the dual band GPS, which my watch doesn't.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Dec 27, 2022

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

https://www.macrumors.com/2022/12/13/microsoft-authenticator-watchos-app-discontinued/

Well this sucks.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

I think I lost three or so apps due to watchos9 changes, thankfully I don't use ms auth so it doesn't impact me.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Does this really matter? I uninstalled the Apple Watch app and the iOS authneticator app still sends me a notification that lets me select "Yes" and authenticate without touching my phone.

Am I missing something?

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Corb3t posted:

Does this really matter? I uninstalled the Apple Watch app and the iOS authneticator app still sends me a notification that lets me select "Yes" and authenticate without touching my phone.

Am I missing something?

Next month Apple Watch integration will be removed with an app update. Issue is due to auth with number confirmation, which is apparently not doable for ms devs. Standard iPhone usage is unchanged.

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Dec 27, 2022

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

That sucks, but if I’m being honest the integration worked for me maybe 20% of the time.

Something about my setup causes the watch to show the prompt, but then when I try to accept/decline it just says it couldn’t communicate with the phone and I have to pull out my iDevice anyway.

Anecdotally, I mean. I’m sure it works just fine for others.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, it eventually went from working 60% of the time to 98% and was really convenient. Total bummer here.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Is there a way to automatically turn the Ultra Wayfinder face to the red version at a certain time or with a focus?

RoboBoogie
Sep 18, 2008
My wife got me a series 7 which is a huge upgrade from the series 2. She got me the cellular model and with T-Mobile it’s a $5 add on.

I saw an Esim plan from 3 HongKong for 35 bucks for a bucket of gigabytes to use in US UK and Canada. Can I use this plan on my watch or am I stuck with T-Mobile?

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

RoboBoogie posted:

My wife got me a series 7 which is a huge upgrade from the series 2. She got me the cellular model and with T-Mobile it’s a $5 add on.

I saw an Esim plan from 3 HongKong for 35 bucks for a bucket of gigabytes to use in US UK and Canada. Can I use this plan on my watch or am I stuck with T-Mobile?

I’m 99% sure you have to be using the same plan you’re actively using on your phone.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

RoboBoogie posted:

On Italian providers, the esim is strongly suggested to be reliant on the iphone one but i think you could use a third party one. I would suggest a quick chat with apple support before committing to contract.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I wish there'd be a heart rate complication visually like the original Apple one, but instead of being static 0 - 24 hours, it'd be a sliding window and maybe highlights those bars for sleep and workouts in different colors, or alternatively coloring by heart rate zone.

Maybe there's lesser known apps that offer that? Heart Analyzer et al offer a combo of scatter and line graphs for the last three hours only.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

So for anyone with an Ultra I can not recommend the Milanese loop at all.

While it fits fine it’s clearly not designed for a heavier watch so it keeps getting looser over time. It’s a shame because it does look nice.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
In the last week or so I've noticed my Sunrise/Sunset complication just says "Sunrise/Sunset" instead of actually telling me the times.

I've tried:
  • Restarting the watch
  • Changing watch faces (it does this on Infographic and Nike Infographic)
  • Changing the complication to do time in another city, which it does fine

Any other ideas? If I tap on the complication to bring up the World Clock app it will tell me the sunrise and sunset at my location, I just want those times displayed on my watch face! I'm not sure if I somehow denied my watch face access to location data or something else, or where to even check for that.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Combat Pretzel posted:

So what's the longest anyone here managed to track a workout with GPS on a non-Ultra watch?

Mostly curious for my upcoming ski vacations. Being 7 hours on the tracks, I guess I have to stop the workouts while on the lift to stretch battery lifetime on my AW8? Does pausing stop heart rate and GPS tracking, too, or do I need to finish a workout for that?

i took my woot-refurbished s3 on a seven hour hike the first month I owned it and now i’ll never get that achievement

e: probably did have my phone in my pack for gps

hypnophant fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Jan 2, 2023

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Good skiing tracker app? Or should I just use the Downhill Skiing in Workouts?

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Jan 3, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Good skiing tracker alp? Or should I just use the Downhill Skiing in Workouts?

Slopes! It’s fantastic.