Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Sounds like Mike should review the well-known history book The Jakarta Method

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

AnimeIsTrash posted:

will only be listening to liberal podcasts in 2023

I wonder what kinda numbers the second-tier Pod Save productions like Lovett or Leave It still pull

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

lobotomy molo posted:

they also say stupid poo poo sometimes (shut up about lions led by donkeys Liam), but at least they’re funny

i hate liam, he ruins every podcast he's on with his awful voice/humor

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

is there a procedure where a doctor can just suck out all the phlem in your lungs with a hose? because a lot of people shouldn't be allowed to speak into a mic without it

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

the problem with mike duncan is that he's not a historian (and really, none of us should be), so he just goes round repeating books he read - which would be fine, if not for the fact that he has zero frame of reference so his criteria is "do my brain worms nod along to this narrative or not?". then depending on the season, he'll start editorialising and the further he gets from the book, the more obvious it becomes that he's kind of a loving lib idiot.

so it makes sense that a lot of his "best" seasons or podcasts are either on subjects that are fairly popular but back far enough to be somewhat depoliticised (rome) so no matter the book you pick, you'll probably get away with it. or subjects with less popular history works written about them (haiti). that his series on the russian revolution raised as many eyebrows makes sense, as the western historical field focussed on the soviet union is just an absolute flaming pile of trash.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

also, i haven't listened to the antifada in years after checking out a few episodes back in the days, but looking at their recent episodes: have they always been this insufferably anarchist and gauchist?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

i dunno what those words mean but they've always been annoying yes

Minecraft Holmes
Oct 21, 2016

TheSlutPit
Dec 26, 2009

R. Mute posted:

also, i haven't listened to the antifada in years after checking out a few episodes back in the days, but looking at their recent episodes: have they always been this insufferably anarchist and gauchist?

yes lol

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Bro Dad posted:

is there a procedure where a doctor can just suck out all the phlem in your lungs with a hose? because a lot of people shouldn't be allowed to speak into a mic without it

bronchial lavage

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

R. Mute posted:

so it makes sense that a lot of his "best" seasons or podcasts are either on subjects that are fairly popular but back far enough to be somewhat depoliticised (rome)

I'm being a little nitpicky here and I don't want to detract from your otherwise correct point but our understanding of Rome is incredibly politicised, on the scale of "what if the only surviving record of the Sanders campaign was Daily Beast articles and MSNBC coverage"

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Well, that’s a good test. What did he say about the Gracchi ?

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Frosted Flake posted:

Well, that’s a good test. What did he say about the Gracchi ?

that they had some good ideas but they were radicals who pushed things too far in their greed for power

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
I follow gnocchi thought myself

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

R. Mute posted:

the problem with mike duncan is that he's not a historian (and really, none of us should be), so he just goes round repeating books he read - which would be fine, if not for the fact that he has zero frame of reference so his criteria is "do my brain worms nod along to this narrative or not?". then depending on the season, he'll start editorialising and the further he gets from the book, the more obvious it becomes that he's kind of a loving lib idiot.

so it makes sense that a lot of his "best" seasons or podcasts are either on subjects that are fairly popular but back far enough to be somewhat depoliticised (rome) so no matter the book you pick, you'll probably get away with it. or subjects with less popular history works written about them (haiti). that his series on the russian revolution raised as many eyebrows makes sense, as the western historical field focussed on the soviet union is just an absolute flaming pile of trash.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

I'm being a little nitpicky here and I don't want to detract from your otherwise correct point but our understanding of Rome is incredibly politicised, on the scale of "what if the only surviving record of the Sanders campaign was Daily Beast articles and MSNBC coverage"
of course. i mean it as more of a comment on how there's more of a direct connection to modern political issues in a lot of the later seasons. with rome, while he'll still be projecting those issues on the events of the time, there's enough of a political disconnect between the two time periods that listeners will just go with it. if you're comparing lenin to trump that's far less abstract to people than comparing julius caesar to trump (afaik he didn't actually make these comparions)

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

lobotomy molo posted:

that they had some good ideas but they were radicals who pushed things too far in their greed for power

lol this guy sucks

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I'm actually re-listening to that part of the storm before the storm today. Specifically, in addition to passing the land bill and giving Italians full citizenship, the gracchi should have spent more time convincing people that they were actually bad because otherwise people like you and the corrupt elites beat you to death with a table leg on the senate floor and then make up a post facto conspiracy and really whose fault is that. Yours thats who.

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
it bears repeating that the Haitian revolution has very little documentation and the most prominent book on it was by a Marxist historian. mike Duncan did not become radicalized by his research on the Haitian revolution; he was just forced to use a Marxist history as his primary source and based his views off of that. The dudes issue is that he is biased toward more liberal histories when he can obtain them.

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
Gnudi > gnocchi imo

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

lmao

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

R. Mute posted:

they were communist i thought? they can be pretty annoying tho

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

gradenko_2000 posted:

as usual, Parenti is right

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_IO_Ldn2H4o

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Chapo on Tusla King was hilariously timely for me because my cousin who is the exact auidence they talk about the show being for was telling me how good it was at Christmas eve dinner.

I'm absolutely dreading their Avatar 2 episode

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

one of the most enjoyable books I've ever read. Unputdownable.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

projecthalaxy posted:

I'm actually re-listening to that part of the storm before the storm today. Specifically, in addition to passing the land bill and giving Italians full citizenship, the gracchi should have spent more time convincing people that they were actually bad because otherwise people like you and the corrupt elites beat you to death with a table leg on the senate floor and then make up a post facto conspiracy and really whose fault is that. Yours thats who.

Never give Italians full citizenship imo.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Frosted Flake posted:

lol this guy sucks

projecthalaxy posted:

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

COPE 27 posted:

Never give Italians full citizenship imo.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
I hate their movie episodes and I demand more reading series

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

tokin opposition posted:

I hate their movie episodes and I demand more reading series

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Can someone remind me why the war nerd is a vagabond? I know it s originally because he was unemployable but surely he could settle down somewhere with his podcast earnings?

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

COPE 27 posted:

Can someone remind me why the war nerd is a vagabond? I know it s originally because he was unemployable but surely he could settle down somewhere with his podcast earnings?

Life is much more interesting when you eat an egg salad sandwich from a Serbian gas station

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

the man nearly died on ice in Montreal, he needs to be somewhere not normal

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

is there a working Hell of Presidents rss feed or just mp3 downloads and youtube? i was trying to listen back to an ep on the feed i had but it’s not working any more

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

is there a working Hell of Presidents rss feed or just mp3 downloads and youtube? i was trying to listen back to an ep on the feed i had but it’s not working any more
scroll up for xaris posts 1-2 days ago

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

yea i did but that's a direct download not an RSS feed

Her Dryer
Oct 15, 2012

KomradeX posted:

Chapo on Tusla King was hilariously timely for me because my cousin who is the exact auidence they talk about the show being for was telling me how good it was at Christmas eve dinner.

I'm absolutely dreading their Avatar 2 episode

Their Avatar opinions are the most annoying and wrong things they've ever said

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Her Dryer posted:

Their Avatar opinions are the most annoying and wrong things they've ever said

[debased wojak-bell curve-monkish wojak]

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
to be fair to the chapo boys I will never actually know if Avatar (2009) is as crappy as I remember it being because there's no way I'm gonna rewatch a three hour movie I walked out of saying "that was fine"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I got too freaked out on acid and watched avatar to chill out. it worked