Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Update on the Sabres: the NHL still wants tomorrow’s game vs. Detroit to happen. It will likely happen if the county lifts the driving ban in the city tomorrow morning. The Sabres haven’t practiced as a team since the 22nd, which begs the question: would it be fair to have them play without being able to do full practice for a week? Some of them who live downtown apparently walked to KeyBank Center to skate and the ones in the suburbs, where the driving bans were lifted already, skated together at a rink in Amherst. They will hold a morning skate tomorrow at 10:30am if the game is going to happen, but again, not a full practice.

I miss Tage & the boys but I also don’t want them to get wrecked because they are out of sync and rusty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Ginette Reno posted:

e: Pens finally called up Ty Smith. I assume they intend to actually play him because if they wanted to just sit him in the press box they'd bring Friedman up instead:

https://twitter.com/DannyShireyPGH/status/1608155464918876160?s=20&t=ehAiRF-Dmvm6wqDXtIDaZw

Though I guess Ruhwedel got hurt yesterday so they do need another body

Friedman apparently was called up yesterday so now I am much less confused than I was initially. Friedman is going to slot in for Ruhwedel and Smith goes to the press box/is a body. Caggiula I'm not sure if he goes in for Heinen or O'Connor or if Zucker was demoted to the 4th line due to injury.

9 games 3 points -2 and 9 total shots for Kapanen since his HT game. Carter -4 with 1 point (a goal) and 16 shots during the same period. Heinen -1 with 1 point and 8 shots in his 7 games since Kapanen's HT game. Archibald/Poehling at least provided a bit of scoring from the 4th line so with them out that bottom 6 sure seems like it isn't going to provide any scoring and get scored on *a lot*.

Edit - I bring up Carter/Kap/Heinen because I wonder if there's going to be a little bit of bottom 6 shuffling.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
https://twitter.com/dalter/status/1608199953729585152?s=20&t=w8GX_-Uki5Vt5ZmACUHKpQ

On the whole it's good that he's back given how deep into the depth the Leafs have had to get, but I'm curious to see what happens to their defence which has been fantastic since he went out. Rielly has some pretty important skills for this team but stopping goals against isn't really one of them. I hope Liljegren has improved enough to seriously cover for him.

e:

Also Keefe has been fined for making the team spend too much time in St Louis

https://twitter.com/PR_NHL/status/1608207646741463041?s=20&t=L_GLcibuopu514YiTSaBqA

2e: oops wrong Keefe fine today here's the St Louis one:

https://twitter.com/PR_NHL/status/1608206605270540303?s=20&t=L_GLcibuopu514YiTSaBqA

abuse culture.
Sep 8, 2004

Hand Knit posted:

https://twitter.com/dalter/status/1608199953729585152?s=20&t=w8GX_-Uki5Vt5ZmACUHKpQ

On the whole it's good that he's back given how deep into the depth the Leafs have had to get, but I'm curious to see what happens to their defence which has been fantastic since he went out. Rielly has some pretty important skills for this team but stopping goals against isn't really one of them. I hope Liljegren has improved enough to seriously cover for him.

Love to wonder if my teams locked in big money number one defender for the next billion years will improve the team by playing hockey

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Keefe is justifiably mad at the Blues getting called for two minors while getting away with a high stick that drew blood (but it was on Michael Bunting who probably deserved it and faked it both).

abuse culture. posted:

Love to wonder if my teams locked in big money number one defender for the next billion years will improve the team by playing hockey

Well it's funny but all of Brodie, Holl, Sandin, Giordano, Benn and Liljegren have better xGA/60 than Rielly to date. On the other hand, skating and scoring points is cool and good too.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
https://twitter.com/kylefredrickson/status/1608195284747849728
That's unfortunate. Hopefully it won't be too long.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

eXXon posted:

Keefe is justifiably mad at the Blues getting called for two minors while getting away with a high stick that drew blood (but it was on Michael Bunting who probably deserved it and faked it both).

What you mean like he bladed himself?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Eric the Mauve posted:

He has Ric Flair forehead.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Wow I knew St Louis was bad but not "fine the team for making players go there" bad

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Scaramouche posted:

Wow I knew St Louis was bad but not "fine the team for making players go there" bad

Just imagine how the rest of the central division feels. You have to go there and Arizona.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Watching the Bruins game and there's a guy named Tyce Thompson, who is Tage's brother. I was wondering who named these kids and then it turns out their dad is from Alberta and probably got a lot of concussions in his pro hockey career, which makes the names make a lot of sense.

Scaramouche posted:

its cause they flew on a day they weren't supposed to, per the CBA

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

I was firmly on team trade Rielly instead of paying him a big contract, and while the deal is fine this season is definitely reinforcing my position on that.

Other guys are moving the puck up ice and manning the PP just fine, it seems like his defensive foibles cancel out enough of his benefits that the team doesn’t lose a lot of net effectiveness; instead of being significantly worse the Leafs are just kinda more boring when he’s not around.

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?
https://twitter.com/TBLightning/sta...s1_c10&ref_url=

god has hardened your heart, and only brayden point can soften it again

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

you don't often see 1 on 4s resulting in goals but the Habs are clearly trying some novel strategies this season

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
if Boston gets at least a point out of the game against Buffalo on Saturday, they will hit 60 points on the season before New Years.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

It is incredibly frustrating that the Devils outplayed Carolina and Boston twice in a row (with two of their top 4 D out) and were awarded zero points. They really deserve more than their stretch in December and these games are brutal to watch. Their luck HAS to turn at some point.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
they used up all their luck for the season when they went 19-2 or whatever

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

I disagree because they're still soundly outplaying teams over and over and over and over

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Lol the Penguins. Rejoice they are collapsing.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Eric the Mauve posted:

If you told me that Michael Bunting keeps a razor blade inside his gloves, I wouldn't bat an eye.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

The City of Buffalo is lifting the driving ban at midnight tonight, so the Sabres/Red Wings game is most likely on for tomorrow night.

Preemptive Congratulations to Detroit on their win against a team that hadn’t played a game in ten days and hadn’t practiced in a week.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Also that has been bad for 37 years.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
THAT WAS SO AWESOME

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
https://twitter.com/KenKalDRW/status/1608310963186327552?s=20
last time was 1984 lol

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

LGRW

https://twitter.com/NHL/status/1608306328346431489?s=20&t=sTKiHCcH4AnlOlJeCoijPA

WoodrowSkillson fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Dec 29, 2022

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Lol the Penguins. Rejoice they are collapsing.

Definitely not the script for this time of year

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.
Lol the Penguins are absolute rear end at protecting any kind of lead.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

From the NHL: Detroit has earned just three four-goal comeback wins in franchise history (7-6 W vs. TOR on Dec. 4, 1984, 5-4 W vs. TOR on Feb. 22, 1972 & 8-5 W vs. BOS on Nov. 3, 1960).

First comeback like this on the road. Second comeback from down 4-0 to a 5-4 win.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

It goes without saying of course that two of the previous three were against the Maple Leafs.

Really want to see the Maple Leafs get the Penguins in the first round, Bruins can you please lose a bunch of games so this can happen thanks in advance.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
The Pens have two modes: looking like a lottery team, and looking like a cup contender. There is no in between.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

fawning deference posted:

I disagree because they're still soundly outplaying teams over and over and over and over

It will even out, wouldn't be surprised if they go on another big winning streak when they start finishing again. Getting Palat and Bastian back soon would be really nice.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

xG is fake.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I believe the Devils are the only team since 2009 to miss the playoffs with an expected GF% of 55% or better (which, incredibly, they did twice --- 2013 and 2014) so somehow cratering with a 59% would be extremely on brand.

Style points for doing it the exact opposite way of the endless cycle to point shot Jagr-DeBoer Devils.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
On TNT the panel said they thought the Devils were going to end up missing the playoffs. I'm not sure if I agree with that, but it's kind of wild how at the start of December they were leading the Metro by a large margin and today they're only 4 points ahead of the first team outside the playoff bubble.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Ted Nolan keeping busy with... probably one of the better things he could be doing

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/ted-nolan-kingsclear-1.6693730

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Aphrodite posted:

Also that has been bad for 37 years.

They won the president’s cup in 2006 and won their division in 2010 :rolleyes:

Can confirm now that the game is happening. So uh yeah. Should be interesting to watch.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
Fire Lindy!

Sorry Lindy!

Wait, no, fire Lindy!

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Chad Sexington posted:

Fire Lindy!

Sorry Lindy!

Wait, no, fire Lindy!

- Sabres fans circa 2012

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

I think the Devils will still make it because I think the Metro will send 5 teams and odds are NJ will hold on to be one of those 5. The only locks in the Metro are Carolina and probably Pittsburgh because Pittsburgh always makes the playoffs. So 3 spots between NJ/WSH/NYR/NYI is what I'm thinking.

I keep waiting for Florida to put together a win streak but I think at this point they're just kind of bad. I guess coaching matters. And I don't think Detroit or Buffalo are a real threat to make the playoffs either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

I think Carolina, the Rangers, and the Devils are still locks.

It's easy to see how someone could think NJ is kind of in a free fall in a tough division but the fact is, they are missing 4 key players right now and are still clearly outplaying even the best teams in the league in games. They're snakebitten, not finishing their many many chances.

If they keep playing this well, their luck has to turn and they're going to start winning a lot of games again, especially when they get Palat, Bastian, Marino, and Graves back, and when they likely add a scorer at the trade deadline.

They are still more or less caving teams 5 on 5 and that's going to show itself again when they get out of this annoying rut. I'd be surprises if they don't wind up with around 100 points.