Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Xaris posted:

the problem with John Wick movies is they are too good

(also imo they're increasingly Doom Eternalizing with each sequel. i hope they curtail some of the eternalizing in JW4. also it's simultaneously cool-over-the-top cheesy that every single person ever to exist in the world, from every single bum ever to grocer shoppers, is "in on it",, it's also a little too ridiculous that like normal people don't exist.

I kinda wish they never made sequels to John Wick, it was so good on its own and really didn't need more worldbuilding

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Can't wait for john to dig a giant hole for 30 minutes to unearth the intact true cross and slowly drag it on foot to a church, it to a bit part played by a respected actor, slot it into place, activating a click, and asking for a bizarre and mystifying favor of a yet to be revealed nature before making GBS threads himself to death, his dog begins to lap the cadaverous feces, roll credits

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

I've never rated the wick movies that highly, maybe cause by the time I watched them they were hyped to hell

Theres something about the action I just find kinda sterile and boring, like everyone is doing choreographed stuff then he pewpews his gun at someone and they fall over and he moves on

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
You have to understand. The american youf lost all the less-than-tentpole action movies and had to watch glurp shitto.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
I need a detailed accounting of the HR rules of the guild of assassins.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
John Wick 1 - Keanu trained in hand to hand for 10 life times, every fight is made to be as realistic as possible, every bullet counted for, every action and reaction with maximal trained response. Everything. Is. A. Weapon.

John Wick 4 - Stands three foot from other guy pewpewpewpewpewpewpewing each other into their 'bullet proof' suits.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
john wick is basically marvel

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Communist Thoughts posted:

I've never rated the wick movies that highly, maybe cause by the time I watched them they were hyped to hell

Theres something about the action I just find kinda sterile and boring, like everyone is doing choreographed stuff then he pewpews his gun at someone and they fall over and he moves on

also he’s p old now and you can tell

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

As long as we're doing John Wick discourse, can we talk about the John Wick of loving again, that was a fun thought experiment

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

loquacius posted:

As long as we're doing John Wick discourse, can we talk about the John Wick of loving again, that was a fun thought experiment

Yeah, I'm thinking I'm Hard.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Someone hosed his dog

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

loquacius posted:

"Humor me with one question: did you come here to sodomize the Pope?"

"...no."

"Then enjoy you stay in Rome."

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
I've been listening to a lot of classic jazz lately and there's a real ~6 minute sweet spot for songs. much longer than that and it starts to feel bloated. I just listened to a 90 second xylophone solo that was just ok. don't waste my time with that poo poo, I don't need to listen to you repeatedly tinkle blues scales up and down the bars. hit me with 8-16 bars of your best mallet work and go

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

happyhippy posted:

John Wick 4 - Stands three foot from other guy pewpewpewpewpewpewpewing each other into their 'bullet proof' suits.

its absurd but I thought the Keanu + Halle Berry + dogs fight in 3 was awesome, very dynamic with lots of camera movement, and his fight with the Raid guys in the glass museum or whatever was good and funny. plus when he loads the shotgun with steel ball bearings and just deletes guys' heads.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

indigi posted:

its absurd but I thought the Keanu + Halle Berry + dogs fight in 3 was awesome, very dynamic with lots of camera movement, and his fight with the Raid guys in the glass museum or whatever was good and funny. plus when he loads the shotgun with steel ball bearings and just deletes guys' heads.

i liked the knife throwing back and forth scene

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

I watched the first wick and wasn't impressed. felt like a videogame IP movie. never saw the others except some scenes on youtube - equally cringey

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

yeah it had gotten meme'd to death by the time i got around to it and fury road was a million times better

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

the John Wick movies are fun but yeah every entry past the first one needs at least 30% less lore. gently caress lore.

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

like these hits don't sell, why is he hitting him through a book, why does the giant guy just give up and let him put a book in his mouth with no resistance... it's campy I get that but it's not that fun

edit: does the movie address like a 5" blade got wiggled around inside his collar. the actor didn't address it

edit2: the blade goes in and out in and out and wiggles around. almost seems like a mistake but the VFX people rolled with it and let it puncture him

edit3: oh yah a tiny amount of blood cool

Antonymous has issued a correction as of 19:50 on Dec 29, 2022

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

the lore is really dumb and 95% unnecessary

e: also applies to fury road

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

i can't believe i forgot about michale mann

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEFPcljAXgs

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Antonymous posted:

like these hits don't sell, why is he hitting him through a book, why does the giant guy just give up and let him put a book in his mouth with no resistance... it's campy I get that but it's not that fun

it's a lot of fun if you know and like Boban

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

the first one has worse lore than assassins creed. there are coins that only assassins can spend or something. total cringe

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I do agree that the bigger the criminal underworld in John Wick got the less sense everything made, it's kind of like a Pokemon setting but instead of everything being about Pokemon everything is about crime

but, also, I don't really care, it's not the kind of movie where you care about that

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Antonymous posted:

the first one has worse lore than assassins creed. there are coins that only assassins can spend or something. total cringe

I liked that a gold coin can get you one drink at the bar OR one night's stay in the assassin 5* home base hotel

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

good fight scenes are like life: nasty, brutish, and short

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

indigi posted:

I liked that a gold coin can get you one drink at the bar OR one night's stay in the assassin 5* home base hotel

have you tried getting a drink at a bar in NYC lately???

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

indigi posted:

I've been listening to a lot of classic jazz lately and there's a real ~6 minute sweet spot for songs. much longer than that and it starts to feel bloated. I just listened to a 90 second xylophone solo that was just ok. don't waste my time with that poo poo, I don't need to listen to you repeatedly tinkle blues scales up and down the bars. hit me with 8-16 bars of your best mallet work and go

absolutely not (unless you're talking about anything before like 1960)

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

indigi posted:

there's a national change shortage, small assassin coins only plz

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

it's so silly. by the end of 2 we're to believe ~20% of the people in Manhattan at any given time are professional assassins

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DX9JNJThhxY

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

ArmZ posted:

i can't believe i forgot about michale mann

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEFPcljAXgs

yah I was thinking about Heat as well. good rear end movie

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
fury road had lore???

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i'm trying to remember an old onion headline like "NPR: on a search for the world's most inaccessible jazz" but google ain't hittin'

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

seriously though the coins are silly but I don't really get getting mad at them, and I love getting mad at pointless poo poo in movies

I CAN see getting mad at the OTHER currencies from the sequels (the blood thing, the cross, etc)

the all-encompassing john wick criminal underworld runs entirely on favors, and they have all of these virtual currencies corresponding to favors of different magnitudes, and the currencies keep powercreeping each other, it's like a gacha game where the most OP SSR has gone rogue

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

DoubleDonut posted:

fury road had lore???

lol i thought about that when i read it and can only remember the immortan joe waterfall scene and max's flashbacks. they could have cut the flashbacks i guess

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

John Wick had to grind assassination dailies for like six months straight to get a single one of those crosses, they cost like $120 to buy straightup unless you have like a ton of Google Play points

the coins are nothing in comparison, the game basically shits those at you just for logging in

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

I like 2 think wild at heart takes place in the same universe as John Wick - coins for assassins

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SztmuNDfBYQ

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

loquacius posted:

John Wick had to grind assassination dailies for like six months straight to get a single one of those crosses, they cost like $120 to buy straightup unless you have like a ton of Google Play points

he shoulda just gotten that phone app that lets you try out lovely new games in exchange for war thunder golden eagles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

loquacius posted:

seriously though the coins are silly but I don't really get getting mad at them, and I love getting mad at pointless poo poo in movies

I’m not mad at it but it could be less silly while still serving the plot. Morpheus being pigeon king of the hobo assassins wasn't necessary to have him in the movie delivering 90% of the same lines