Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Another anime trailer:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=hlP8Bl_YCdw

Though the Japanese release date is still the same apparently it won’t be on Crunchyroll now until “sometime in January”:

https://www.theverge.com/2022/12/14/23509661/nier-automata-anime-crunchyroll-release-date

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I'm both really looking forward to this and also really worried that it's going to be disappointing. Seeing Devola and Popolain the trailer made me particularly hyped.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, considering this appears to be an adaption of the game I’m worried it might be super abridged like the TWEWY anime was (the odds of getting the English cast back for a potential dub might not be guaranteed either). It looks nice at least

I forget, were some of the more human like characters like the blue haired girl in the game?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Was anything posted about the anime being a new take on the game? I thought one of the market blurbs was about a new ending or something.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

pentyne posted:

Was anything posted about the anime being a new take on the game? I thought one of the market blurbs was about a new ending or something.

They've kind of talked out of both sides of their mouth on this, saying that just doing everything the same would be boring but also saying that people worried it won't be a faithful adaptation have nothing to worry about, so it's hard to tell what to read into that or if it's just marketing talk or what.

Larryb posted:

Yeah, considering this appears to be an adaption of the game I’m worried it might be super abridged like the TWEWY anime was (the odds of getting the English cast back for a potential dub might not be guaranteed either). It looks nice at least

I forget, were some of the more human like characters like the blue haired girl in the game?

There were some non-YoRHa androids at the camp but I don't really remember what they looked like except for the twins. I don't think they've released an episode count, but so far the rumor seems to be 12, which feels a bit low to me unless there's a second cour later. The twins being in the trailer suggests it's going to at least try to cover most of what's there though, since there's no reason to put them in for an abbreviated version.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Dec 29, 2022

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

pentyne posted:

it may be a one for one adaptation, it may be a spin off AU of debatable canonicity, or it may be The YoRHa Stage Play 2: Electric Boogaloo. who can say.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I think this is pretty unlikely but if the anime ends with something that teases a new Nier game that would own.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
I just finished part 1 of Nier Replicant for the first time. Woof, what a climax.

Overall the game feels a lot more similar to Automata than I'd anticipated. I kind of thought it was a more standard action RPG and Automata introduced most of the more unusual stuff, but a lot of it's here already. Like I totally didn't expect side scrolling/top down parts or to basically have Pod with me

very excited to see where this is all going and how it connects to Automata

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

If anything, Replicant does more with the wild genre shifting than Automata does. Automata refined it down to just a few, Replicant is throwing pretty much everything at the wall.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Yeah, I kinda remembered some stuff in the back of my head from the LP but even never having played Resident Evil I appreciated the homage to that. I think the worst part of the fact that it’s strictly a high effort remaster and not a remake is that there’s not an Automata-style B route where you play as Kaine the whole way (and then never touch anything except Route E again) so you can experience the weird stuff again because the Route B+ cutoff is right after most of that.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Last Celebration posted:

Yeah, I kinda remembered some stuff in the back of my head from the LP but even never having played Resident Evil I appreciated the homage to that. I think the worst part of the fact that it’s strictly a high effort remaster and not a remake is that there’s not an Automata-style B route where you play as Kaine the whole way (and then never touch anything except Route E again) so you can experience the weird stuff again because the Route B+ cutoff is right after most of that.

I thought I heard somewhere that the remake adds an extra section at the end where you do play as Kainé at least, is that not the case?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
yeah that’s true, but I mean more that I wish the game followed the structure of Automata where you do a director’s cut playthrough of the first half of the game on your second cycle so you could experience the weird genre poo poo more than once per playthrough of three/four cycles, and also maybe not have even three cycles because the only thing that they made work was the Mermaid fight QTE being beatable on C/D route.

I guess that would be a big ask though to modify the game to accommodate it to be less tedious than what’s already in place when I say that out loud!

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

IMO it definitely could have been made more accessible. Like remaking the entirety of B probably wasn't realistic, but I don't think the Devola and Popola talking scenes and small difference in the mermaid fight made the replay up to C/D all that worthwhile, and even having to fight through the palace again for D is just busy work. It doesn't feel like it would have been hard to put you outside the shadow lord's room for D at least. Also they could have straight up eliminated the weapon requirement instead of just reducing it. I still liked the game a lot, better than Automata in some ways, but there are aspects that felt needlessly tedious for sure.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

It doesn't feel like it would have been hard to put you outside the shadow lord's room for D at least.

Given how Automata handled it, yeah that would have been pretty easy.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

IMO it definitely could have been made more accessible. Like remaking the entirety of B probably wasn't realistic, but I don't think the Devola and Popola talking scenes and small difference in the mermaid fight made the replay up to C/D all that worthwhile, and even having to fight through the palace again for D is just busy work. It doesn't feel like it would have been hard to put you outside the shadow lord's room for D at least. Also they could have straight up eliminated the weapon requirement instead of just reducing it. I still liked the game a lot, better than Automata in some ways, but there are aspects that felt needlessly tedious for sure.

Yeah, as a video game Replicant is miles away from Automata wrt quality and respecting the player’s time, but it’s arguable which is the better experience narratively (imo Replicant has a better story but Automata is more engaging since it’s side quests are nearly all either worldbuilding or great black comedy, sometimes both) but Replicant’s jank rear end crawled so Automata could sprint so I still respect it. And the sheer balls of making its final route someone anyone can reasonably find without a guide just by playing normally…years after beating the base game

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Replicants on sale so here I go

Edit: launched and the game has been stuck on a load screen for ten minutes. Is this normal

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Dec 31, 2022

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Steve Yun posted:

Edit: launched and the game has been stuck on a load screen for ten minutes. Is this normal

Yeah thats the game

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Had to delete and reinstall. Huh

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Yoko Taro just have a thing for girls with white hair or something

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...

Steve Yun posted:

Yoko Taro just have a thing for girls with white hair or something

White hair, foul mouths, big asses, things over their eyes, potential amputees. If you're named after a flower, a color, or a number, that's a plus.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Steve Yun posted:

I just started it last night, going in blind. I'm an hour in and it's so pretty.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
So I just finished Replicant for the first time and got ending A. Confused about something, not really story related but will spoiler anyway

at the end when Weiss is breaking down, the player receives some document/report and Weiss says that he remembers. I didn't check my inventory at this time to read whatever it was. I've started route B now and can't find out how to read this anywhere? am I missing it, or is not actually a readable document or what? All that's in my docs are the letters and underground research reports from earlier

blankd
Mar 26, 2010

Paperhouse posted:

So I just finished Replicant for the first time and got ending A. Confused about something, not really story related but will spoiler anyway

at the end when Weiss is breaking down, the player receives some document/report and Weiss says that he remembers. I didn't check my inventory at this time to read whatever it was. I've started route B now and can't find out how to read this anywhere? am I missing it, or is not actually a readable document or what? All that's in my docs are the letters and underground research reports from earlier

It's a readable document (more than one!), it was removed when you started Route B. If you're worried: you'll get another chance to read it, just don't forget.

blankd fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Jan 5, 2023

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Reminder that the anime begins tomorrow:

https://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2023/01/05/heres-the-exact-time-the-nierautomata-ver11a-anime-begins-on-crunchyroll

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Just watched the premiere, the CG leaves a lot to be desired but the 2D animation is nice and I like that they’re using the OST and VAs from the game (though we’ll see if that still holds true once a dub comes out). Combining Routes A & B makes sense but we’ll see if they go beyond that at all

Not something I’d recommend to someone who hasn’t played the game though

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
yeah the CG is unfortunately cheap looking. a shame because the rest of it seemed competently made and as far as I can remember it was very faithful to the opening of the game.

I'm not sure if I'll continue watching because I feel like I'd probably just prefer to replay the game if I want to experience the story again. unless the plot ends up diverging in some interesting way. but the first episode was a decent adaptation

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

For anyone put off by the first episode of the anime I’d strongly recommend checking out the second, it fixes a lot of issues and even introduces a good chunk of new material

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Larryb posted:

For anyone put off by the first episode of the anime I’d strongly recommend checking out the second

This is how 99% of anime recommendations go and it rarely ever pans out well for me.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Anime: not even once

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Anime made me the man I am today *dons PTSD powered robot suit, off to kill God*

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Strategic Tea posted:

Anime made me the man I am today *dons PTSD powered robot suit, off to kill God*

Is the powered robot suit fueled by PTSD somehow, or does the suit itself has PTSD?

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

pentyne posted:

Is the powered robot suit fueled by PTSD somehow, or does the suit itself has PTSD?

Yes.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

And this isn't even a joke answer because it's exactly what Evas are.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

AlternateNu posted:

And this isn't even a joke answer because it's exactly what Evas are.

It also applies to some Gundam!

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

https://twitter.com/yokotaro/status/1618062736952561667?s=20&t=A7-Jf--qg4S4oboLq3WKCw

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Episodes two and three really were a lot better than the first one. Too bad about the delays now.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

There's also the model of a Halo gun in the files for Dark Souls.

Game development works in mysterious ways

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Anyone interested in the Nier Reincarnation mobile game, they're doing a 280 free pulls till March 31 to celebrate 2 years, no gimmicks, and that's more then enough to get several 4* characters and some solid weapon variety to start the game with.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

pentyne posted:

Anyone interested in the Nier Reincarnation mobile game, they're doing a 280 free pulls till March 31 to celebrate 2 years, no gimmicks, and that's more then enough to get several 4* characters and some solid weapon variety to start the game with.

How is that game out of curiosity discounting the gacha element?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Larryb posted:

How is that game out of curiosity discounting the gacha element?

Story is pretty bleak but not hopeless (except for the Sun & Moon geez), Yoko Taro to the max, all the events are more of the same, there's no 4th wall meta stuff or comical humor at all.

It's gotten extremely generous lately compared to what it used to be even a few months ago, with a lot of the event missions giving tons of materials and pretty good login bonuses.

Lots of VA narration for everything, and some really nice music to round it out. Definitely leans heavy on creating an atmosphere like the Nier games in general.