Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3utO5bNkdvg&t=180s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

checkplease posted:

I do agree that the movie arc is that Quaritch-Blue is now not the old one, just has the same memories. But if we just kept living, we could change also and perhaps not resemble our selves 50 years ago. I like to think at least that adult parent me differs from college me.

Then there’s the whole question of what defines the person initially. Is it just their memories? New Quaritch has a different body and new experiences leading to his change, but when he is first reborn how different does he feel?

I wonder if the backup copy has perfect memory vs forgetting things as you live an extra 50 years from not aging.

But I do agree rich may want anti aging if only to not lose their youthful beauty in the short term.

It’s not about changing personalities or what not. A backup clone doesn’t help me avoid death. Quaritch still dies, feels the pain of death, and then ceases to exist. The fact that there’s another person with his memories implanted grown years later. Likewise if a rich person pays for an avatar backup, it’s not going to help him with a death from old age. There will be someone who acts like him and has his memories, so maybe if he cares about legacy or being remembered it’s nice, but his own conscious experience of the world will still cease.

If you never age at all though, well then you can hypothetically continue your experience of the world forever. So long as you don’t get in a car crash or something.

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

Does it tickle when your Body Thetans flap their wings, eh Beatrice?
Avatar bodies also grow old and die, presumably, so if you're willing to become a blue alien you still have to repeat the process if you want your memories to live on. The Na'vi have solved this already by becoming one with Eywa after their death.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
The only connection you ever have to past consciousness is memories encoded in your brain. It's not like it's a cup of water being sloshed from one container to another, it's an emergent phenomenon. After all it's not as if you're experiencing every moment of your life simultaneously; what makes you think your consciousness as of yesterday (or five minutes ago) exists right now?

(Granted Avatar explicitly having alien gods that can swap souls around might add a certain wrinkle to this in Cameron's setting. :v: )

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I guess Sully's method of transplanting his mind into an Avatar and then using tree magic to make it permanent could theoretically result in immortality? It's not implied that human Sully actually died when he was reborn blue - couldn't they just keep doing that with new bodies rather than saving a backup? (Obviously you could still die of anything other than old age but it's a start).

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

Bugblatter posted:

It’s not about changing personalities or what not. A backup clone doesn’t help me avoid death. Quaritch still dies, feels the pain of death, and then ceases to exist. The fact that there’s another person with his memories implanted grown years later. Likewise if a rich person pays for an avatar backup, it’s not going to help him with a death from old age. There will be someone who acts like him and has his memories, so maybe if he cares about legacy or being remembered it’s nice, but his own conscious experience of the world will still cease.

If you never age at all though, well then you can hypothetically continue your experience of the world forever. So long as you don’t get in a car crash or something.

We can probably imagine a scenario where the super rich in avatar just changed bodies every 10 years or so to stay continually young. In this way they are safe from aging and car crashes. But they have to believe as you say that their consciousnesses is the same in each. Ghost in the Shell explores this with the cyber brains and ‘ghosts’, but Avatar so far hasn’t explored this. What defines a person’s consciousness- memories, a personality and decision matrix that can be mapped, and some other quality?

When they control the avatars remotely we say they are still the same person. But when Jake fully becomes a Navi, he claims he is born again, though he has the same memory and personality. So is new Quaritch kind of lesser version of Navi mind transferring.

I do agree that an anti aging juice will be the easier sell to people vs body swapping. Super makeup vs weird philosophical puzzles.

Thinking now, I kind of think New Quaritch is more like his child than a copy. He’s got a different body with similar features and remembers his dads lessons (sully bad, army good). But he makes his own new decisions with his own adventures. So he and Spider are really brothers in parallel to the Sully kids.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Yeah. Did Jake Sully transfer his soul or just copy it?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Mordiceius posted:

There's no way to know! Avatar 3: Existential Crisis coming along nicely

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Was there any dialog about the Metkayina having a different dialect than the Omatikaya?

I was just thinking how odd it is that they've lived in a different environment long enough to genetically develop significant physical differences (paddle-like forearms, longer tails, etc) yet they still understand each other perfectly.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
Speaking of the whales and their philosophy of nonviolence, I really liked the exchange the younger brother had where he was going real hard into "this whale regrets it! He'll never do it again!" Only for the whale to murder half a boat of people ten minutes later.

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

Yeah, when he said that I was thinking "are you sure about that?"

Mister Speaker posted:

I was just thinking how odd it is that they've lived in a different environment long enough to genetically develop significant physical differences (paddle-like forearms, longer tails, etc) yet they still understand each other perfectly.
The banshees and other creatures make it possible to travel these distances fairly easily, but I don't think the movies show any significant trade between the forests, plains and ocean. The first movie did show that they gathered the other tribes together. Can they communicate through Eywa also?

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Quarritch says he's a different person, but he still cares for his son even though they're not related, and put himself in danger for his son. It's the same guy IMO

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Terror Sweat posted:

Quarritch says he's a different person, but he still cares for his son even though they're not related, and put himself in danger for his son. It's the same guy IMO

I think it's the opposite - OG Quaritch wouldn't have given a drat about his son. New Coke Quaritch does because he's a different person and the only experiences he's ever actually had in his life have been with Spider at his side.

Simulation883
Jan 1, 2007

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

The only connection you ever have to past consciousness is memories encoded in your brain. It's not like it's a cup of water being sloshed from one container to another, it's an emergent phenomenon. After all it's not as if you're experiencing every moment of your life simultaneously; what makes you think your consciousness as of yesterday (or five minutes ago) exists right now?

(Granted Avatar explicitly having alien gods that can swap souls around might add a certain wrinkle to this in Cameron's setting. :v: )

I hear you but it still feels very different to me. Even if something has all of my memories, I still would classify it as another being and not myself, since I’m thinking independently of the clone and vice versa. Like if Quaritch lived but they still made a clone of him, they wouldn’t be thought of as the exact same being. I think the analogy of the clones more as children is a good analogy.

Overall though, rich people being as self centered as they are would definitely choose the goo over the clone. It is interesting thinking about how that technology plays out. I could see many people opting to have the clones with their memories instead of children. And people instating their clones as successors to their hierarchies as opposed to anyone else. But that’s not the focus of this series, so I’ll digress.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
New Coke Quaritch is a science experiment where you leave someone's PTSD but take away all their traumatic brain injuries

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Yawgmoft posted:

Speaking of the whales and their philosophy of nonviolence, I really liked the exchange the younger brother had where he was going real hard into "this whale regrets it! He'll never do it again!" Only for the whale to murder half a boat of people ten minutes later.

And that was after the whale introduced himself by murdering the Ikthysaur.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Nah. I'm me, the clone is someone else :shrug:

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

I watched this film again to see my favourite part

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Bedshaped posted:

I watched this film again to see my favourite part

Forgot about that lmfao

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
I hope he sentChristmas cards back to his Scientist bros with that picture. Also you think they made Spider take the pic or just had him wait outside the frame?

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Mordiceius posted:

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

There's no way to know! Avatar 3: Existential Crisis coming along nicely

It's actually pretty easy to know, because souls aren't "transferable" through any kind of objective process. Quarritch 2's relationship to Spidey is that of an uncle - or, at least, most analogous to that. To say that the twin brother shares the same soul would be a religious belief.

In the same way, the Jakesully in Avatar 2 is literally not the same character as in Avatar 1.

So, again: a more interesting film might explore how Neytiri feels about this. It's also kind of a weird mark against Eywa, since there's here's no particular reason that Jakesully's brother (Jake Sully) had to die. The only explanation is that Eywa euthanized Jake in order to maintain the illusion of an objective soul transfer.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Wasn't Jake dying before the transference because he spent too long breathing the native air?

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Wasn't Jake dying before the transference because he spent too long breathing the native air?

He recovered and was transferred later.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

It's actually pretty easy to know, because souls aren't "transferable" through any kind of objective process. Quarritch 2's relationship to Spidey is that of an uncle - or, at least, most analogous to that. To say that the twin brother shares the same soul would be a religious belief.

In the same way, the Jakesully in Avatar 2 is literally not the same character as in Avatar 1.

So, again: a more interesting film might explore how Neytiri feels about this. It's also kind of a weird mark against Eywa, since there's here's no particular reason that Jakesully's brother (Jake Sully) had to die. The only explanation is that Eywa euthanized Jake in order to maintain the illusion of an objective soul transfer.

Any recommendations for films that explore similar ideas?

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

ghostwritingduck posted:

He recovered and was transferred later.

One thing though is that before the final soul transfer, they take his mask off, effectively letting him choke on the air.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

checkplease posted:

Any recommendations for films that explore similar ideas?

CHAPPIE

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

I would rather die than watch die antwoord

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Vir posted:

The first movie did show that they gathered the other tribes together. Can they communicate through Eywa also?

Unless it's a major retcon, the 'sea people' they gathered together in the first film are not the same as the Metkayina we see in TWOW. Their structures look the same but physically they're identical to the forest people - no green skin, wide-set eyes, huge tails or paddle-like forearms.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

!Klams posted:

Would I rather watch this or Christmas with the Kranks again? Actually Christmas. Because this is so much longer. And, y'know, that IS part of the experience, part of the judgement of the thing. And prior to this, that was the film I would least like to rewatch.

As to the whale point though, like, I care about whales. I don't want whales to get lanced, I think its bad. But it's like they go, "No, you don't understand, you REALLY don't want these ones to get lanced because its bad times a million!" ... I know. I know it's bad. Whales in real life really are these beautiful and majestic animals. I've swam with them! It's incredible! To me, saying, "No but killing THESE ones is like killing humans only they feel it MORE" sort of suggests like killing earth whales isn't that big a deal, because they're not smarter / more emotive than us.

I guess that's possibly another reason it kinda stunk for me. James Cameron CLEARLY loves the ocean. His love is incredibly apparent on the screen, and when we get to the underwater section, it feels like the previous act has just been getting itself out of the way to make way for the water time! And, in a way, it should, it IS the Way of the Water. But, it's like Peter Bradshaw says in his review, there aren't really any inspiring memorable images*. (Almost, with the Temple at Eclipse, but without any real sense of context, and no real meaning to anchor it to, it sort of falls off). Which is weird, diving in the red sea is one of the most vivid inspiring things I'll ever see in my life. But, I can't really recall any specific image of the underwater stuff in particular. I don't really think this film is going to inspire people to take up diving en-masse. Maybe it is, I hope I'm wrong, but for me, I could see HIS love and passion on the screen, but it didn't inspire any in me at all.

This is really weird to me because I'm an avid diver as well and have dove all over the world and I got the opposite feeling. This is the first movie where I actually felt like I was diving with the underwater shots, and it made me miss it a lot (I haven't dove since pre-Covid, sadly).

Also, thats kind of a weird take on space whales to me. Dolphins and whales seem to have near-human intelligence and mantas are kind of close when you get to fish. Cameron seems to make Pandora just basically Earth, so of course the whales are super smart just like ours. It's just that Navi can understand their language, while we can't understand our whales' language.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Simulation883 posted:

Overall though, rich people being as self centered as they are would definitely choose the goo over the clone. It is interesting thinking about how that technology plays out. I could see many people opting to have the clones with their memories instead of children. And people instating their clones as successors to their hierarchies as opposed to anyone else. But that’s not the focus of this series, so I’ll digress.

Pretty much, although I think clinical immortality for rich people is almost within society's grasp, whale juice or no, given how decrepit our current ruling class is.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Mister Speaker posted:

Unless it's a major retcon, the 'sea people' they gathered together in the first film are not the same as the Metkayina we see in TWOW. Their structures look the same but physically they're identical to the forest people - no green skin, wide-set eyes, huge tails or paddle-like forearms.

If human ethnography is anything to go by, there are probably more than a dozen groups on the planet who call themselves the "Sea People"

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Mister Speaker posted:

I rewatched it especially because I was wondering about that too. They're "the Ikran People of the Eastern Sea", and as the name implies they ride Ikrans and not flying fish. They're a different tribe although you can maybe see them as a prototype of the Tahitian Navi in Cameron's mind.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Do we know how big Pandora's actually supposed to be? Sci fi set in space always makes different planets feel tiny, with a single society living in a single biome.

If they're angling for each of these to be set in a whole different continent then there's potential to make it feel like an actual place.

Bar Patron
Jun 12, 2015

When you die you don't go to heaven. You just have a clone made of you up there. It's false advertising.

I have a question, why did Jake leave the forest Navi? It didn't seem like a good motivation to get them to the water. Like, he was going to leave to protect the forest Navi, by drawing their attention away. But he doesn't tell the humans he's leaving, so what's to stop them from doing exactly what they did later on in the movie, going to the villages and interrogating/burning them and their houses in order to get info on where they are?

Edit: Added spoiler text, my bad.

Bar Patron fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Dec 30, 2022

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Darko posted:

Also, thats kind of a weird take on space whales to me. Dolphins and whales seem to have near-human intelligence and mantas are kind of close when you get to fish. Cameron seems to make Pandora just basically Earth, so of course the whales are super smart just like ours. It's just that Navi can understand their language, while we can't understand our whales' language.

My point is, in the film, they say out loud "They are smarter than humans, and feel more emotions than humans" and I don't think they need to do this, nor do I really get why this was in the script? It doesn't explain anything we see, (they actually do not behave as though they understand that they're much bigger and much more dangerous in a group than the boat hunting them, if they would only turn around en-masse and attack they could easily overpower the whalers, the implication is that for a year the hunters have been doing this and the whales haven't adapted) and it somewhat takes away from the message that whaling / overfishing on Earth is bad, because it suggests the only reason that it matters here is because they're not less than human (and by inference that regular whales are).

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

Mister Speaker posted:

They mention at least two different types of sea-dwelling Na'vi in Avatar 2, so the ones in Avatar 1 might be a more coastal type. Since the Metinkaya fight in water, their usefulness in the battle would also be somewhat limited. They can walk on land, but they're most at home in the litorals.

Kuiperdolin posted:

I rewatched it especially because I was wondering about that too. They're "the Ikran People of the Eastern Sea", and as the name implies they ride Ikrans and not flying fish. They're a different tribe although you can maybe see them as a prototype of the Tahitian Navi in Cameron's mind.
Ah, makes sense.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Yeah, that all makes sense.

stev posted:

Do we know how big Pandora's actually supposed to be?

Quaritch mentions in the first movie that the gravity is lower; IDK enough about physics to know if this necessarily means it's smaller but I think so. Not-EDIT: A quick Google search says it's about 3/4 the size of Earth.

Am I imagining things again, or did Cameron say something around the release of the first film that further sequels will explore entirely different moons of the gas giant Polyphemus, or was it just other regions on Pandora? Apparently there are 14 of them that are habitable; how the Na'vi spread across them if we do explore them is going to be the subject of a lot of scrutiny.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

!Klams posted:

My point is, in the film, they say out loud "They are smarter than humans, and feel more emotions than humans" and I don't think they need to do this, nor do I really get why this was in the script?

It's to help bore out any empathy from a cold heart after seeing a mother whale and her calf brutally murdered OP. I'd argue it's in the script for anyone in the audience ignorant or even resistant to the idea that giant whales -- like those here on Earth -- could be sentient/intelligent, have language, compose music, etc., and would otherwise not feel anything towards them being hunted because, as they are ignorant, would see them as just animals, when clearly they are much, much more than that.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

Bar Patron posted:

When you die you don't go to heaven. You just have a clone made of you up there. It's false advertising.

I have a question, why did Jake leave the forest Navi? It didn't seem like a good motivation to get them to the water. Like, he was going to leave to protect the forest Navi, by drawing their attention away. But he doesn't tell the humans he's leaving, so what's to stop them from doing exactly what they did later on in the movie, going to the villages and interrogating/burning them and their houses in order to get info on where they are?

Edit: Added spoiler text, my bad.

Jake knew he was being hunted and didn’t want to bring that risk to his family. That’s why he left. I think it was assumed that Quaritch would find out he’s missing after a while, which did seem to happen. Jake used to be front in center leading the chargers after all.

Remember the humans don’t find Jake until he has to call for the med ship. That’s when they determine he’s somewhere in the islands. Until they then has no clue and quaritch was just learning to be Navi with spider.

So Jake’s plan did work for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Mister Speaker posted:

Yeah, that all makes sense.

Quaritch mentions in the first movie that the gravity is lower; IDK enough about physics to know if this necessarily means it's smaller but I think so. Not-EDIT: A quick Google search says it's about 3/4 the size of Earth.

It depends on the internal composition. Mars and Mercury have comparable surface gravity despite the former having over two and a half times the volume.