Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Slavvy posted:

Use your fucken brain.

no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

I honestly don't get the Ekaterina monument thing.

It's big enough news that every single person commented on it, but it's all just "wow, seems bad, welp back to the war".

Lostconfused has issued a correction as of 18:01 on Dec 29, 2022

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Slavvy posted:

Literally just don't reply. Replying is what causes everyone else to have to scroll through several pages of unbelievably tedious, exhausting back and forth that never leads anywhere.

There are many casualties in the posting wars. Scroll wheels, worn out too soon.

supersnowman
Oct 3, 2012

Cromulent_Chill posted:

The poop is coming here to poop on us though. It's not being touched so much as batted away out of our faces.

Batting diarhea away with a tennis racket give poor results.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

supersnowman posted:

Batting diarhea away with a tennis racket give poor results.

Prompt results:

And John C Reilly as a baby for some loving reason was another result?

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Putin divides and conquers another vitally important discussion thread on a message board.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Lostconfused posted:

It's big enough news that every single person commented on it, but it's all just "wow, seems bad, welp back to the war".

Probably the take is "It's just a statue, and there's a real war killing real people."

Last I saw, their plan was to put it in a museum rather than just smash it apart. Not sure what actually happened.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Will Odesa erect more runestones to commemorate it's viking heritage now?

One was already installed by a Danish firm after they claimed victory over a series of corrupt officials and institutions.

quote:

In honour of this victory, BIIR’s management installed a six-ton rune stone, over 180 cm tall, in front of the Odessa’s building (Primorskaya street 3b). It was made in Denmark by the Swedish artist and rockstar Erik Sandquist (“Erik the Red”) and then transported to Ukraine. It is the second biggest rune stone in the world. The biggest one is in Jelling in Denmark, raised by King Harald Bluetooth thousand years ago.

On the Stone there is a mythological scene engraved: a raven of Odin, the Scandinavian god of wisdom, holding a snake in the claws as a symbol of the victory against corruption. The mask of Odin, is inspired by the rune stone found in Aarhus, the city where the BIIR headquarter is located. Odin’s mask protected against evil spirits. The last side shows a snake being killed by a raven. The Raven is well known bird in Nordic mythology. Odin had two ravens Huginn and Muginn who flew all over the world gathering wisdom and information. But the raven was also the warbird of the Vikings, and a legend says that when the raven appears and spread its wings, the Danes win!

The historical ties between Denmark and Ukraine are ancient and deep. Thousand years ago, Vikings sailed through rivers of Ukraine on the way from the Baltic Sea to the East Roman Empire. One of the Vikings called Rurik settled in Kiev, and he became a king during the most prosperous period of Ukraine history. Vikings came as tradesmen, but where always prepared to fight. To celebrate another victory, they placed a rune stone on Berezan Island (also known as the Island of St. Aitherios), where the Dnieper River meets the Black Sea, the only one rune stone in Eastern Europe, so far, until the Odessa’s one appeared.
https://odessa-journal.com/the-viking-warriors-battle-in-odessa-against-the-corruption/

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Lostconfused posted:

The soviets took down the statues and they only went back up in 2007.

They've been in storage longer than they've been displayed from what I can tell.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Slavvy posted:

Derailing the thread in nonsense is his goal

As many people have remarked this is the only place on the internet where a meaningful discussion about the war is even possible. He is a wrecker who's only purpose is to destroy that discussion entirely. By replying you are helping fulfill that aim. Use your fucken brain.

There's been a theory verbalized off and on that the presence of a vaguely left-of-center community within CSPAM specifically has probably made it worthy of some level of intervention by the security state - we of course know that Correct The Record was operating here during the 2016 campaign

Ukraine specifically would be a prime target for ensuring that the discourse would have to be shaped along certain lines, and I would not be surprised if such forces are working among us here in this thread

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Kadyrov did a talk show/forum thing and said a bunch of stuff, but these are the only bits that twitter picked up on.

https://twitter.com/Maks_NAFO_FELLA/status/1608472583724322818

https://twitter.com/JuliaDavisNews/status/1608505304257265664

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

mlmp08 posted:

There are many casualties in the posting wars. Scroll wheels, worn out too soon.

make them crabs

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

Slavvy posted:

It's clear to me now that the real problem is 2-3 posters (Ardennes again but also a couple of others) who are pathologically unable to resist touching the poop. They need to be chain probed for a short while, for their own good, like a cat being sprayed with a water pistol, until their behavior improves and they can just ignore him like adults.

why not just chain probe him then?

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
now we see slavvy's real goal

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Cuttlefush posted:

make them crabs

Sure thing. Logitech gaming crabs.

Bonus cuttlefish as Russian Navy ship.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

they post pedantically all over the site and have been for years. sometimes their pedantry is a useful factual correction. usually it’s meaningless, sometimes it’s outright false.

my feedback to the poster would be:

1) before starting an argument about something, ask yourself “does anything, even in the context of this discussion, meaningfully change if I successfully argue my point?” the f-15 chat from a while ago was the epitome of useless argument - it was about facts that did not change the core points being argued and the core points were a side note of a side discussion. completely meaningless argument.

2) be less of a dick in how you argue

3) consider the possibility that in light of 1 and 2, you might be actually right about things much less than you think, because most normal people aren’t willing to slog through pages of tedious debate about something meaningless with a guy who will not give an inch ever and has no concern with entertainment value, context, or politeness. the vast, vast majority of the wins you have for online arguments are due to forfeits (other side declined to show). those aren’t real. you’re not a master of facts and logic, you’re just unpleasant to debate.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
i like the crabs

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Ardennes posted:

I actually don’t think it is to be honest, even in the US views on China (or American foreign policy) are often a lot more mixed than people think. Cspam takes the humor element to more of an extreme but cspam opinions in general are not that extreme despite a certain couple threads. Most people don’t care about Russian or China and when pressed would prefer peaceful coexistence even if it takes the US backing off, there are much bigger concerns out there.

In my experience, to the extent that most people part attention to politics at all, they just repeat what they see on television.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

a strange fowl posted:

i am going to fight each and every single one of you. i will come to your house and just pulverise you with my fists. you will not survive my rage.

How much do you charge?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

There's been a theory verbalized off and on that the presence of a vaguely left-of-center community within CSPAM specifically has probably made it worthy of some level of intervention by the security state - we of course know that Correct The Record was operating here during the 2016 campaign

Ukraine specifically would be a prime target for ensuring that the discourse would have to be shaped along certain lines, and I would not be surprised if such forces are working among us here in this thread

I agree

Vomik posted:

why not just chain probe him then?

The mods have made it clear that they will never probe people who actually deserve it so the best idea I can think of is quarantine. It would also not surprise me if there is a blanket restriction against probing federal employees.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

mlmp08 posted:

Some jobs get access to it for free. A small perk.

Yes, and I choose not to, seeing it as a burden when I get emailed the press clippings on Monday.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

The main rival of Zionism, there’s a whole book about this too, was the movement for The Jewish State to be a province of Austria-Hungary in Galicia. It was more popular than Zionism before the breakup of the Dual Monarchy.

Azov and Israeli Zionists are more or less in agreement in where Jewish people belong, and where they don’t.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Frosted Flake posted:

Azov and Israeli Zionists are more or less in agreement in where Jewish people belong, and where they don’t.

these are the terms of the alliance between Israel and every far right group in the west.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Slavvy posted:

I agree

The mods have made it clear that they will never probe people who actually deserve it so the best idea I can think of is quarantine. It would also not surprise me if there is a blanket restriction against probing federal employees.

Yeah that's what happened when Ardennes got into another argument a while ago.

So you know

mlmp08 posted:

rather than reading :justpost:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
If I recall correctly the USSR had its own Oblast for Jewish people

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

just discovered the ignore list feature and it’s really making this thread more palatable

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
the #1 reason why this war will never end is that this is the NATOs dream come true, they get to command another coubtries army to the death to get at russia, which is why ive always said the russians are spectacularly stupid to not have realized this from the get go.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

What they don't realize is that Russia is busy grinding XP for new division templates while USA is still stuck on some lovely economy law that leaves them with like 0 civ factories.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

just discovered the ignore list feature and it’s really making this thread more palatable

:eyepop:

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

Corky Romanovsky posted:

Birds don't have hands
wings are hands

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I had an effort post comparing the internal conflict, breakup, and effects 25 years on of the USSR and Dual Monarchy, but the shortest version is that western publics believe their own states’ justifications about self determination and a flowering of liberal democracy, and then also believe them about the aggressive (racial) character of the defeated states when they bounce back.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

Radium provides.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Frosted Flake posted:

I had an effort post comparing the internal conflict, breakup, and effects 25 years on of the USSR and Dual Monarchy, but the shortest version is that western publics believe their own states’ justifications about self determination and a flowering of liberal democracy, and then also believe them about the aggressive (racial) character of the defeated states when they bounce back.

liberal democracy is another myth like demographics are destiny, where the people believe in the status quo is natural and self evident and can't imagine someone disagreeing with them. That has to be explained away by the other side being ignorant, stupid, un or misinformed, because there could possibly be any rational reason to disagree with them. Or yeah I guess you can just say they're inherently a backwards barbaric race that's to stupid to know what's right and wrong.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Look, it's really simple, the Oceanic states prefer the continents have as many small states as possible. That's why you get many new countries after WW2, specially in Europe because West Europe was the loser of the 2 wars.

They would like to see South Asia and East Asia break up into many smaller states too if they could.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

stephenthinkpad posted:

They would like to see South Asia and East Asia break up into many smaller states too if they could.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Frosted Flake posted:

The main rival of Zionism, there’s a whole book about this too, was the movement for The Jewish State to be a province of Austria-Hungary in Galicia. It was more popular than Zionism before the breakup of the Dual Monarchy.

the bapster's whole deal is that he probably has schizophrenia and also getting kicked out of the dsa for being a weirdo sexpest

no need to take anything he says seriously lol

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

Al-Saqr posted:

the #1 reason why this war will never end is that this is the NATOs dream come true, they get to command another coubtries army to the death to get at russia, which is why ive always said the russians are spectacularly stupid to not have realized this from the get go.

I think Russia realizes that is what America is hoping for / getting out of this.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Russia should have owned nato by letting ukraine join it. They could have sold the NATO missiles to Russia.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
The US's motives and actions are very clear and predictable after the 1st month; some of the Putin's actions and inactions remain mysteries. He is a hard one to crack, that Putin guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
hard to crack, easy to love