Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Really? I would've thought that'd be Sugar Ray or RHCP.

The only song 99% of the world remembers them for is called Santa Monica hth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Kingo Ligma posted:

Ah, right yeah. Welp.

Costco Meatballs
Oct 21, 2022

by Pragmatica

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Really? I would've thought that'd be Sugar Ray or RHCP.

def sublime

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Kingo Ligma posted:

I remember them for Heroin Girl :colbert:

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ratios and Tendency posted:

It's infinitely better, which is why it's infinitely less popular

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

I saw them in 1996 at my then-local radio station's annual summer festival, and I can still remember what seemed like the whole crowd singing SHE HAD TWO PIERCED NIPPLES AND A BLACK TATTOO.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Kingo Ligma posted:

Wait, it isn't I Will Buy You a New Life?

I've been living a lie.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I always thought it was father of mine.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Well they can't be everything to everyone.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Ratios and Tendency posted:

So much better. I vaguely remember Fire Maple Song but I still think it was better than SM.

Even Heartspark Dollarsign wasn't bad.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
I think they're just Wonderful.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

I saw Everclear live a few weeks ago. They were pretty good! Pretty much only played stuff from their first three albums (the good ones) with maybe a couple of tracks from the fourth and fifth. Good show, especially considering Art is 60 and has MS. Met the band too.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
I think Art is the only member of the band from when they are popular. I don't have first hand knowledge but supposedly he is a huge rear end in a top hat and a pain in the rear end to work with.

Personally I have never been able to figure out how if you have a successful band you can't keep your poo poo together. In every band I was ever in the issue was always the stuff outside of the band/music; needing to work a day job to survive, etc that caused issues. If you become successful it should be easy street at that point.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Djarum posted:

I think Art is the only member of the band from when they are popular. I don't have first hand knowledge but supposedly he is a huge rear end in a top hat and a pain in the rear end to work with.

Personally I have never been able to figure out how if you have a successful band you can't keep your poo poo together. In every band I was ever in the issue was always the stuff outside of the band/music; needing to work a day job to survive, etc that caused issues. If you become successful it should be easy street at that point.

I imagine there's a whole different set of pressures loving up the dynamic when you're relying on the income from it to pay your mortgage and you have a whole bunch of industry fucks trying to ruin everything that made you successful in the first place because they're blinded by greed and stupid as hell.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

And touring can be super stressful. You're basically working and living with these people for months at a time, and all the while, you're hoping the money works out in the end.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Everclear also had an extremely kick-rear end song on the Romeo + Juliette soundtrack (Local God)

also I think Art has MS so I am willing to give him a pass on most things

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Yes but Billy has a severe case of UFS (Uncle Fester Syndrome) and people give him poo poo all the time.

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."

Baron von Eevl posted:

Yes but Billy has a severe case of UFS (Uncle Fester Syndrome) and people give him poo poo all the time.

lol this loving cracked me up, that bald rear end bitch

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Two Minutes to Late Night did a thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=goERfkDQr8g

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Thanks for reminding me - their covers loving rule. Check out the one they did for Rush! loving ALL STAR line up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fULwDbZ4iSU

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

"Gwarsenio Hall: Zwan" :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Holy poo poo Billy posted that there's a reissue box set of the Zwan album coming.

On one hand that would be rad, on the other he posts something that everyone wants that never ends up happening like once a week.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Kingo Ligma posted:

Holy poo poo Billy posted that there's a reissue box set of the Zwan album coming.

On one hand that would be rad, on the other he posts something that everyone wants that never ends up happening like once a week.

It's been over a decade since the machina reissue was supposed to happen hasn't it

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Devin Townsend is the superior pale white, tall as gently caress Nosferatu musician.

Shiny Vol 1 (remember all that lol) had a couple tracks I enjoyed, the rest meh. Since then I've just checked out completely. I enjoy their older stuff, honestly up to Oceania, but I don't see much reason to pay attention to what they're doing now.

The wild thing is it isn't even the change in style. It's that they don't do it well. Confessions of a Dopamine Addict is a banger, and the only track I vibes with on Cyr. The problem isn't style, it's talent :v:

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

syntaxfunction posted:

Devin Townsend is the superior pale white, tall as gently caress Nosferatu musician.

I'm sure Devin Townsend is a less embarassing person then Billy, and he probably writes better songs than current pumpkins. However, no one who doesn't mod an incel subreddit has ever heard of him. Billy C is responsible for 2 very good rock albums, 1 great album, and 2 of the most significant in the entire history of the genre.

At least pick someone relevant to the conversation m8

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

syntaxfunction posted:

Shiny Vol 1 (remember all that lol) had a couple tracks I enjoyed, the rest meh. Since then I've just checked out completely. I enjoy their older stuff, honestly up to Oceania, but I don't see much reason to pay attention to what they're doing now.

The wild thing is it isn't even the change in style. It's that they don't do it well. Confessions of a Dopamine Addict is a banger, and the only track I vibes with on Cyr. The problem isn't style, it's talent :v:

It all seems very tired and kind of aimless.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

We threw a birthday party for Mary Star of The Sea!

My wife did the cake decorating while I "supervised" as we listened to the album

Noise Machine fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Jan 29, 2023

Costco Meatballs
Oct 21, 2022

by Pragmatica
Lmao

Costco Meatballs
Oct 21, 2022

by Pragmatica
God bless you, for the record. But lmao.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Noise Machine posted:

We threw a birthday party for Mary Star of The Sea!

My wife did the cake decorating while I "supervised" as we listened to the album

Send it to him I dare you

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

Kingo Ligma posted:

Send it to him I dare you

I DM'd the Pumpkins instagram account soooooo we'll see what happens.

I'm preparing for a snarky "Some guy made a Zwan cake! Don't quit your day job" remark on the podcast next week if he does see it.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Man that would sting if anybody on earth listened to billy's podcast and heard him insult you

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Baron von Eevl posted:

Man that would sting if anybody on earth listened to billy's podcast and heard him insult you

Today's special guest: Willow Smith

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

Framboise posted:

It's been over a decade since the machina reissue was supposed to happen hasn't it
Take it up with Virgin Records. Billy actually owns the rights to MSOTS.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

This Is the Zodiac posted:

Take it up with Virgin Records. Billy actually owns the rights to MSOTS.

Supposedly it has been done for awhile but they can't get the space in a good pressing plant for it. Gish, Siamese Dream and Adore have gotten 3 pressings in the last year, MCATIS got a single when the Jane's Addiction tour was announced and that was a major ordeal reportedly even though it immediately sold through and is heavily backordered.

Machina is going to be at least 4 LP as well and might not sell as well as Mellon Collie at the same price point. I understand why they have been dragging their feet because with limited spots in the plants would you rather push another Mellon Collie pressing or Siamese Dream, Gish and Adore all of which will no doubt sell through or you take a chance on Machina which was a giant flop on it's original release?

More capacity is coming online monthly so we should see the wait times on stuff start to get a lot better later this year. I believe there is talk of a new, modern plant being built on the West Coast again as well though who knows how long that will take to spin up.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

There is absolutely no reason not to release it digitally and do a vinyl press later

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

polyester concept posted:

There is absolutely no reason not to release it digitally and do a vinyl press later

Yeah there is. If you look at how all these big reissues work they do a lot of PR early and get preorders for the physical stuff. The sales from the early adopters is basically what makes this stuff viable. You kind of only get one shot at doing it.

Also likely you are dealing with a lot of weird licensing on these which you likely only got a very limited time window for sales of physical which again means you need to have all your ducks in a row before you pull the trigger.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Kingo Ligma posted:

I'm sure Devin Townsend is a less embarassing person then Billy, and he probably writes better songs than current pumpkins. However, no one who doesn't mod an incel subreddit has ever heard of him. Billy C is responsible for 2 very good rock albums, 1 great album, and 2 of the most significant in the entire history of the genre.

At least pick someone relevant to the conversation m8

Smashing Pumpkins are my favourite band of all time. Having said that, lol if you think Corgan has any relevance above Townsend. No one knows who the gently caress Corgan is besides the crazy libertarian dude who does wrestling poo poo and is insane. He made some big albums like thirty years ago lol. No one gives a gently caress any more. Same as no one outside of guitarists knows or cares who Jimmy Page or whatever is.

Also I was referencing the look, sorry to piss in your cornflakes lol

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
BwBW and 1979 have both become kinda meme songs, the name Smashing Pumpkins has some relevance. My cousin's 18 year old kid, who has no real interest in music or really any media outside of sports, is aware of the Smashing Pumpkins and was impressed that they're still touring.

Devin Townsend is cool and influential, but on such an incredibly small scale by comparison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Bullet with butterfly wings will be in stranger things season 6 and you will rue that post my friend