Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

HD DAD posted:

Lmao if Prodigy just no-pretenses becomes animated Voyager but with better writing.

I'm so down for that, I wonder if they'll manage to get anyone else in from it. When is Prodigy in relation to Picard?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Big standing ovation for the finale. That paid off beautifully and was a great season of Star Trek. We'll get at least one more season, but I like the idea of it being a backdoor to a Voyager sequel.

And pour one out for Holo Janeway, that was perfectly in character.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Khanstant posted:

I'm so down for that, I wonder if they'll manage to get anyone else in from it. When is Prodigy in relation to Picard?

Prodigy is currently in 2383. The Mars Synth Rebellion happens in 2385, so Picard is already an admiral and in command of the USS Verity at this point when Prodigy is happening. Romulus is destroyed in 2387, and Picard Season 1 starts in 2399. So Prodigy is 16 years before Picard. If Dal, Gwyn, Jankom, et al are still alive in 2399 they'd all be in their mid-30s by that point.

Right now it's a race between Prodigy and Lower Decks as to who gets the dubious honor of tackling the Mars attack first. And right now Prodigy has a two-year head start on LDS and will probably get there in Season 3.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Khanstant posted:

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

HD DAD posted:

Lmao if Prodigy just no-pretenses becomes animated Voyager but with better writing.

I mean, it's not just an animated Voyager sequel, it seems to becoming the long-awaited "Hey, what if we did a starfleet academy show?" Or at least the closest thing to it.

Also, I didn't expect the episode title to be literal.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

which show will be brave enough to do some time travel shenanigans and split Picard off in to the bad timeline

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

So I wonder about the explosion the Protostar made. They comment about mitigating the damage but I'm wondering if they will use this as the reason why we get the Romulus supernova.

It was a decision made to mitigate destroying a star system, but the kids didn't have enough time to take everything into account, or their projections didn't consider how strong the explosion would still be so far away. It reminds me of an SG-1 episode where they kill a star because the workaround system they developed to make their gate work missed some safety checks and it meant opening a wormhole directly through the core of a star

Maybe that's too harsh, but the kids have already bee through way worse things

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

I Am Fowl posted:

I mean, it's not just an animated Voyager sequel, it seems to becoming the long-awaited "Hey, what if we did a starfleet academy show?" Or at least the closest thing to it.

Also, I didn't expect the episode title to be literal.

I was waiting basically half the season to see how they'd contrive a way to save the Protostar, and their solution was... just not to. It was an unsalvagable situation and the only correct choice was to blow up the drat ship, so they blew up the drat ship. I'm quite impressed they had to fortitude to stick to it and not walk it back in any way. The Protostar and Holo Janeway are just gone now, deal with it.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

HD DAD posted:

Harry Kim redemption tour, here we come!

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

hiddenriverninja posted:

Harry Kim redemption tour, here we come!

He would be a perfect character in season 2

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

John Wick of Dogs posted:

He would be a perfect character in season 2

Seriously, have Harry be Janeway's XO on Voyager-A. It's the perfect fit for him. That way he can have a bunch of "aww, I remember when I was like you" moments with the kids as they all head off to search for Chakotay in the future.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Perhaps Prodigy can Rok-Tahk encounter the Janeway-Paris amphibian babies on her journey to becoming a xenobiologist

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Harry should still be an ensign, and watch bitterly as the kids are all promoted over him.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The only reason Kim wasn't promoted on Voyager was
A) out of universe: racism from the show runners
B) in universe: he is senior staff and there's literally no position for him to be promoted into unless someone dies, in a position it would make sense to move him to from bridge ops, where he is indispensable

So neither of those is true any more hopefully, especially A. And since the real main reason for it is A, I think the joke of keeping him an ensign forever kind of sucks

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

John Wick of Dogs posted:

The only reason Kim wasn't promoted on Voyager was
A) out of universe: racism from the show runners
B) in universe: he is senior staff and there's literally no position for him to be promoted into unless someone dies, in a position it would make sense to move him to from bridge ops, where he is indispensable

So neither of those is true any more hopefully, especially A. And since the real main reason for it is A, I think the joke of keeping him an ensign forever kind of sucks

Also Voyager was intended to be a show where you could go from watching the series premiere to right to the series finale without having to catch up on anything becuause there was supposed to be no continuity, so Harry starting and ending as an ensign was a part of The Plan, to steal a Ron Moore-ism. Of course that whole "nothing changes" thing didn't work out 100% of the time, but it got close. But yeah, Garrett Wang REALLY needs to recompense for getting hosed so hard on Voyager by Rick Berman's racism.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Even the “we can’t promote him for syndication reasons” thing doesn’t hold water because both TNG and DS9 promoted folks over the course of the show or between seasons without anyone having any issue with it.

Off the top of my head:
Geordi
Wesley
Troi
Worf (once on TNG, again on DS9)
Sisko himself
Kira

And I’m sure I’m missing some.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Even in Voy they promoted people, like Tuvok and demoted Tom. And then after a season promoted him back.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Even the “we can’t promote him for syndication reasons” thing doesn’t hold water because both TNG and DS9 promoted folks over the course of the show or between seasons without anyone having any issue with it.

Off the top of my head:
Geordi
Wesley
Troi
Sisko himself
Kira

Tom Paris, literally on Voyager itself. He's demoted to ensign for multiple episodes and then restored to lieutenant later that same season.

e: beaten

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
According to Memory Alpha, there's an Enderprizian in Rok's science class at Starfleet Academy. So that means En Son's prophecy came true and Star Flight really did come back for them for real :3:

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
The showrunners of both Lower Decks and Prodigy are probably tossing the problem of the synth rebellion back and forth like a live grenade, not wanting to be the one holding it when it explodes.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Payndz posted:

The showrunners of both Lower Decks and Prodigy are probably tossing the problem of the synth rebellion back and forth like a live grenade, not wanting to be the one holding it when it explodes.

There's going to come a point when whole seasons of Prodigy and Lower Decks take place across April 4th, 2385 so as not to cross the terminator into The Bad Times.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

nine-gear crow posted:

Prodigy is currently in 2383. The Mars Synth Rebellion happens in 2385, so Picard is already an admiral and in command of the USS Verity at this point when Prodigy is happening. Romulus is destroyed in 2387, and Picard Season 1 starts in 2399. So Prodigy is 16 years before Picard. If Dal, Gwyn, Jankom, et al are still alive in 2399 they'd all be in their mid-30s by that point.

Right now it's a race between Prodigy and Lower Decks as to who gets the dubious honor of tackling the Mars attack first. And right now Prodigy has a two-year head start on LDS and will probably get there in Season 3.

Maybe, but I think Prodigy is both the spiritual and actual sequel to Voyager. Prodigy is "we're going way the gently caress off the edge of the map/clock to places ain't nobody been to before." Mars is Earth's backyard. Prodigy isn't hanging out in Earth's backyard.

OTOH I can easily see the Cerritos having to go to Mars for some menial task and while they're there Peanut Hamper decides the Revolution will be both televised and streaming galaxy wide.

Aces High posted:

So I wonder about the explosion the Protostar made. They comment about mitigating the damage but I'm wondering if they will use this as the reason why we get the Romulus supernova.

It was a decision made to mitigate destroying a star system, but the kids didn't have enough time to take everything into account, or their projections didn't consider how strong the explosion would still be so far away. It reminds me of an SG-1 episode where they kill a star because the workaround system they developed to make their gate work missed some safety checks and it meant opening a wormhole directly through the core of a star

Maybe that's too harsh, but the kids have already bee through way worse things

I don't see that as very likely. I mean there's unintended consequences, but that seems more "Oh no. My fart somehow caused the hurricane that devastated Japan ten years later!"

It might be used as justification for some kind of Section 31 bullshit, but in terms of the Protostar's detonation somehow causing the Romulus supernova four years after this episode I don't think they're going to do that.

Everyone fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Dec 30, 2022

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
The Synth Attack will happen, and then Janeway will just go "That's bullshit, and I'm motherfucking Admiral Janeway and I'm going to fix that, brb" and take the Prodigy crew on a time trip.

Captain Braxton guest stars.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Pyroi posted:

The Synth Attack will happen, and then Janeway will just go "That's bullshit, and I'm motherfucking Admiral Janeway and I'm going to fix that, brb" and take the Prodigy crew on a time trip.

Captain Braxton guest stars.

The woman is in a three-way tie for first place in the "largest Temporal Investigations file by volume" race with Jim Kirk and Jean-Luc Picard...

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

nine-gear crow posted:

The woman is in a three-way tie for first place in the "largest Temporal Investigations file by volume" race with Jim Kirk and Jean-Luc Picard...

Section 1A Temporal Incidents
Section 1B Borg Incidents
Section 1C Temporal Incidents Involving Borg

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Q3ppfTI_2g

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

nine-gear crow posted:

I was waiting basically half the season to see how they'd contrive a way to save the Protostar, and their solution was... just not to. It was an unsalvagable situation and the only correct choice was to blow up the drat ship, so they blew up the drat ship. I'm quite impressed they had to fortitude to stick to it and not walk it back in any way. The Protostar and Holo Janeway are just gone now, deal with it.

IMO this also means the kids already passed their Kobayashi Maru test

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

nine-gear crow posted:

There's going to come a point when whole seasons of Prodigy and Lower Decks take place across April 4th, 2385 so as not to cross the terminator into The Bad Times.

Could also be that part of the reason for the fifty-ish years into the future timeskip is to help establish a 'new normal' setting for stories after the whole Bad Times mess is swept under the rug and there's a big wide future to explore again

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Boxturret posted:

which show will be brave enough to do some time travel shenanigans and split Picard off in to the bad timeline

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the main story ideas in Picard season 1. The execution, however, is what hosed everything up. The major plot points, the supernova, the attempt at evacuation, the Romulan instigated synth uprising, the burning of Mars, that can all be worked with and lots of really good stories can be told in that framework. They just have to do better than what we got in Picard.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Off the top of my head:
Geordi
Wesley
Troi
Sisko himself
Kira

Other than Troi (who was apparently on the command path the entire time) everyone else was placed into a position of responsibility and promoted into it. Geordi became chief engineer (he wasn't at the start of the series) and got the appropriate promotion. Wesley was wesley, and nothing he ever did mattered. Worf became head of security on Enterprise and got the pip to match, and later on became the second highest ranking starfleet officer on DS9 and got the appropriate pip for that. Sisko's job became a hell of a lot more important after the wormhole was discovered, so he got the appropriate rank for his role, and Kira, who, while acting as Sisko's second in command was meant to be his equal in rank and got the appropriate promotion to Colonel after Sisko got his 4th pip. There are lovely reasons why Kim became the eternal ensign, but there are at least story reasons for just about all of those promotions.

A.o.D. fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Dec 30, 2022

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
Enjoyed the season finale, it put a pretty satisfying cap on basically all it's ongoing plots, and I was especially happy it didn't take a "that never actually happened" route of solving the cliffhanger - for the show I was most skeptical off at it's start because of the being a cartoon for children thing, it did a surprisingly good job of always respecting it's audience, even Holo-Janeway's fate didn't take an easy out that it could have.

nine-gear crow posted:

It's likely going to be Lower Decks getting there first - Prodigy is almost certainly going to be showing us what's on the other side of that wormhole to 2435

Not sure why it'd be a big deal either, it's a big universe and those events will probably just lead to the Cerritos and ships like it being overworked elsewhere as things are newly short handed. It's not the Enterprise, it's not going to be at Ground Zero of the universe's major events.

Then again, the Enterprise-E won't be there either. RIP!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Seemlar posted:

Then again, the Enterprise-E won't be there either. RIP!

Plenty of letters left in the alphabet...

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Why is Frakes flogging laptops on Twitter

https://twitter.com/jonathansfrakes/status/1608634029729009664

Also that seems cheap for a MBP of any recent vintage?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Kesper North posted:

He was hacked / phished.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Kesper North posted:

His account got hacked today because Twitter's been runnin' loving great lately since Notable Person Mentioned In Star Trek Elon Musk fired all the safety and security staff. A spreadsheet of basically every single Twitter user's login emails, passwords, and associated 2FA phone numbers was leaked online and now people who haven't updated their login info are getting their accounts seized left and right, like Frakes and Piers Morgan, and Twitter has basically no way to restore control to their original owners because, well "Elon fired everyone like a genius."

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Janeway finally got to self destruct!

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Seemlar posted:

It's likely going to be Lower Decks getting there first - Prodigy is almost certainly going to be showing us what's on the other side of that wormhole to 2435

Not sure why it'd be a big deal either, it's a big universe and those events will probably just lead to the Cerritos and ships like it being overworked elsewhere as things are newly short handed. It's not the Enterprise, it's not going to be at Ground Zero of the universe's major events.

Yeah, it's not really Lower Decks or Prodigy's job to pay a ton of lip service to those events at all, they are different shows off doing their own things. At most they might start showing the uniform transitions eventually, and Jellico kinda made vague allusions to relations with the Romulans already this season, but I wouldn't expect anyone to Kramer into a room and start yelling about Mars or the synth ban or whatever just because the dates will eventually line up

A Picard spin-off series would be the most likely thing to play around with that stuff even if just in flashback, but they should probably spend more time on the worldbuilding pieces Picard already set up but had no time or interest in exploring, like the Romulan splinter states or the Fenris Rangers or the former neutral zone becoming the wild west

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

A.o.D. posted:

The Federation: Not sinister, just short sighted and naive.

Just look at Genesis.

Protostar is a wizard's shotgun, confirmed.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Protostar is a wizard's shotgun, confirmed.

Man, if Chuck Sonnenberg ever starts reviewing Prodigy and gets to this episode, he's going to have a field day with SF Debris Psychopath Janeway and her new fleet of flying supernova bombs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Janeway did 9/11 the Hobus supernova