Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I'm not putting my wife on a packed train with nobody else masking, whether she's masked or not.

Then you need to buy better masks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Yeah, nah, gently caress that, people are assholes and I'm not going to risk her having a confrontation over masking.

She has a lockable office and can control who she's in contact with in the building, not so much on transit.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

We're a block from a light rail station, I am not putting my wife on a train during a pandemic with zero mitigation measures still in place.

Why people who no longer give a poo poo about getting sick over and over are choosing to drive that route over taking the T is beyond me.

works on my machine, op.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
https://www.cbsnews.com/philadelphia/news/roland-white-north-philadelphia-hit-and-run-crime/

Monday night in North Philly this lady in a Mustang hit three parked cars, a person on a scooter, a person on a bike, and a pedestrian, all in different locations in quick succession. The pedestrian died.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

since the pandemic started I've been driving my wife to the office, maybe a 2 mile round trip through a tunnel and over a bridge, occasionally. Prior to this I haven't had to drive during the morning commute since early 2012.

People seem absolutely insane now compared to the last time I had to do this. Just this morning in that short drive I saw one driver take a left on red with oncoming traffic, another take a right on red with oncoming 50mph traffic. People absolutely do not give a gently caress anymore behind the wheel.

Drivers did actually become more insane since the pandemic. When drivers are reminded of their mortality, they drive more recklessly (speeding, tailgating, cutting off others, etc). The effect is stronger in men, and even stronger among men whose identity is tied up with their car.

The impact of mortality salience on reckless driving: a test of terror management mechanisms. Fragile men fearing the sweet embrace of death drive like assholes, especially men who tie their car to their identity. Complimenting their driving reduces reckless behavior.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I am not trying to argue with your decision to do what you can to avoid illness, but driving isn't exactly safe either.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

sure as gently caress ain't when people are taking full speed rights on red at a three-way with oncoming 50mph traffic.

Martian
May 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I'm afraid of death on the road as well, but that's mainly because of said assholes. It's a problem!

E: case in point, I'm just going to run this Dutch article through Deepl for this thread

https://www.ad.nl/rotterdam/verdachte-van-ongeluk-met-drie-doden-reed-te-hard-negeerde-rood-licht-en-had-gedronken~abbe2f4e/

quote:

Suspect of accident that killed three drove too fast, ignored red light and had been drinking

The motorist detained for the deadly Boxing Day traffic accident in Rotterdam that killed three people will remain in custody for at least another 14 days. This was decided by the examining magistrate today. The 28-year-old Hagenaar is suspected of causing a fatal traffic accident and driving under the influence.

The investigation revealed that the suspect drove at a high rate of speed, ran a red light and was under the influence of alcohol.

The suspect collided with the victims' Toyota on the Groene Kruisweg with his Volkswagen Polo. In that car were a man of 35, from Helmond, a woman of 36 and a child of 7, both from Spijkenisse. Emergency services still tried to resuscitate the man, but unfortunately the help was of no avail. The woman and child died at the scene.

Investigation in progress
The investigation into the circumstances of the accident is still ongoing. The suspect must answer to the Rotterdam District Court's chambers within two weeks, which will determine whether the man should remain in police custody. The suspect himself is still in the hospital, but is approachable.

Relatives of the victims have started a fundraising campaign to pay for the funeral expenses. The target amount of 20,000 euros was reached within a day. Meanwhile, the counter stands at nearly 37,000 euros.

Slight silver lining is that this combination of facts will probably get him 2-4 years in prison, depending on his history.

Martian has issued a correction as of 17:02 on Dec 29, 2022

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I'm on perma-wfh but my wife has to come in to the office thrice a week and I gotta drive her and it's a huge drag when the traffic's so bad that a 9 kilometer drive turns into an hour-long slog

so I empathize with PFC

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
I'm mostly WFH at this point but still drive my gf to work a few days per week. It's five miles down a four-lane road where people will tailgate you for miles while you're driving at speed in the right lane (or above the speed limit). Then when I inevitably have to turn right (no right turn lane ftw) for her workplace, the car riding my rear end will veer to the left lane, trying to come as close to hitting my back bumper as possible, before veering back into the right lane. The biggest offenders are UPS trucks. I've seen them drive 65 in a 45 while there is slush on the roadway. Veering so quickly from lane to lane that it looks like their flimsy vehicle will flip end over end off the side of the road. American-wage cuck brain.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Ultra-compact ✅
Safe urban speeds ✅
Non-isolating ✅
Good visibility ✅
Relatively low weight ✅

It's got my vote

:same: they’re a good bridge for fixing the wild sprawl here

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

connecticut is one of the worst states in the country in regards to car culture. the highways are always clogged with through-traffic because the state has no tolls, and the cities are unimaginably neglected because there's no transit and no parking. Shopping malls killed every downtown in the 80s, and wal-marts killed every small business in the 90s-00s. Both got popular because they had lots of ~parking~

Polo-Rican has issued a correction as of 18:37 on Dec 29, 2022

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Polo-Rican posted:

connecticut is one of the worst states in the country in regards to car culture. the highways are always clogged with through-traffic because the state has no tolls, and the cities are unimaginably neglected because there's no transit and no parking. Shopping malls killed every downtown in the 80s, and wal-marts killed every small business in the 90s-00s. Both got popular because they had lots of ~parking~

many such cases!

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I don't know, looks safe for cycling to me

God drat America

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Polo-Rican posted:

and yet it still has superior public transit to most american states lol

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I wore an elastomeric on the light rail and bus for a year. It's fine and worth it. gently caress driving.

Bonus is that as a 5'7 small woman this made no one willing to sit next to me or talk to me. I'd reached maximum weirdness. Like a dream come true.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

By elastomeric do you mean a half mask with cartridges?

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

CopperHound posted:

Yep!

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

CopperHound posted:

oh my sweet summer child

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

silicone thrills posted:

I wore an elastomeric on the light rail and bus for a year. It's fine and worth it. gently caress driving.

Bonus is that as a 5'7 small woman this made no one willing to sit next to me or talk to me. I'd reached maximum weirdness. Like a dream come true.

:yeah:

No one should be afraid of going anywhere or doing anything in an elastomeric, except taking it off. Serene peace of mind.

someusername
Jan 26, 2015

Yeah, nah, gently caress that, people are assholes and I'm not going to risk her having a confrontation over masking.

She has a lockable office and can control who she's in contact with in the building, not so much on transit.

the confrontation go-to response is "I'm wearing this because I have Rona"

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
Found on r/fuckcars. A spring rocker dedicated to a toddler run over by his uncle's truck.

"In celebration of the life of Brody Bates who loved all trucks, big and small."

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Fashion!

Not joking. I used to be the first person that had a seat mate on the bus. I'd have random folks trying to kick up conversations constantly because I guess I just look like a nice person? Mask stopped all that poo poo.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

Found on r/fuckcars. A spring rocker dedicated to a toddler run over by his uncle's truck.

"In celebration of the life of Brody Bates who loved all trucks, big and small."

Jesus that's grim

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

:negative:

mystes
May 31, 2006

Holy gently caress

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

someusername posted:

:wrong:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTQH47GCOhs&t=19s

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

In better kids and car news, I have successfully taught my 5 year old that cars are bad because they kill the animals. Luckily he hasn't informed my car country in-laws about this fact yet

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Car culture is an abusive relationship.

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

golf carts? yeah, ok sure why not.

golf carts. let's do it.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

someusername posted:

I prefer "shut up, baby dick."

Frank's explanation of the two types of AIDS, "I'm a vagina guy" always kills me.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
re that tunnel in seattle I often take it to avoid i-5 traffic and the first exit has a NO RIGHT ON RED which everyone rights on red anyway while pedestrians run away.

they need to undeground or get rid of i-5 though, that thing split seattle and destroyed a lot of housing

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Cross veneration levels of depressing and alarming

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
For sale: brake pads, never used

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

gradenko_2000 posted:

For sale: brake pads, never used

:vince:

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
i hate cars:

BonHair posted:

God drat America

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

i had to drive today

love to go from parking lot to parking lot

there was a lifted ford truk but it had a wreath on the front so... who is to say if it's good or bad

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I've learned to watch out for those stupid loving reindeer antlers that people clip into their doors because they are pretty accurate indicator that the driver is going to be deranged and aggressive

*more deranged and aggressive than average I mean

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
https://twitter.com/Julcuba/status/1608903139557531649?s=20&t=2ZjXZyjtdwd3FwcDiUdSeg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
That's one of the most horrible intersections in Brooklyn. I have to cross it to get home from work.