Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
The thing that's comical about BBTS is stuff I pre-ordered has "Estimated ship date" of the next month and then when next month hits it updates to the next month. I've got a Silent Hill figure that's been shipping in one month for almost 2 years now haha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Anora posted:

This might be BBTS and others giving the streamer copies pre-street date to drum up sales before the full release

Still bullshit. What’s the point in street dates if a retailer can unilaterally break it for “special” customers? If you’re willing to break the street date for a select few, just ship the toys to everyone.

If a reviewer gets product direct from the manufacturer for review purposes then that’s different, and the reviewer should disclose that. But don’t tell me you bought it from BBTS (and I should, too!) unless you’re going to also clarify that BBTS shipped it to you early, and run the risk of BBTS incurring the manufacturer’s wrath for breaking the street date.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Got an original style Bumblebee on a keychain, and it’s easily one of my favorite Transformers purchases.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Marketing materials and speculation are not spoilers. Jesus Christ.

BizarroAzrael posted:

Might be Hasbro's shithousery here, but Zavvi don't get the benefit of the doubt

https://twitter.com/tfw2005/status/1606394731855900672?t=X3ZdP7_uaN67pTP89eUqjQ&s=19

I'll bet money on Zavvi. I've never gotten a single thing I've ever ordered from them.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Due to an outbreak of COVID in our house earlier in the month my mom never got around to getting gifts for me or my sister so since we were stopping at Wal-Mart today for a bit of last minute shopping anyways she told us to go around and find ourselves some gifts, didn't see much else of interest so I went and got a bunch of Transformers, went with Studio Series Wheelie, Core Class Shockwave, Buzzsaw, Sandstorm, and Jhiaxus

At this rate I'm going to have a small army of Predacon bugs, particularly once that 4 pack arrives and whenever I get around to hunting down Waspinator, Inferno, Tarantulas, and Black Arachnia, also makes Buzzsaw the first Beast Wars figure that I also own a "Cybertronian" form for since I have the old Cybertron figure of his lying around somewhere, also Jhiaxus will have a "Mini-Me" since I have that nuclear orange Starscream remold of him lying around as well(technically could do this with Shockwave as well since I have a Cyberverse figure of him hanging around)

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Anora posted:

This might be BBTS and others giving the streamer copies pre-street date to drum up sales before the full release
I'm not sure about BBTS, but brick-and-mortar stores seem to usually only get stuff a couple of weeks before street dates. I doubt BBTS is getting figures months before anyone else then just sitting on them. Especially since, like others have said, they usually seem to be one of the last websites to actually get things in stock and shipping out.

This is assuming you're talking people getting figures way early for their reviews, if they're just reviewing them a couple days before street dates then the scheduling might line up.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Anora posted:

I don’t think Emgo breaks street dates, I tend to start swing pop up in stores near the time he gets it. I don’t think he’s actually getting his stuff through BBTS though and he has mentioned that certain of his followers will send him stuff that is showing up in other countries but not his area yet.

PrimeVPrime on the other hand gets it ages ahead of everyone else though.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
Second verse same as the first

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

So I’m reading the IDW Optimus Prime series, I bought all 5 volumes so I’ll have all 25 issues, but I also got the Unicron series. At what point should I stop reading Optimus Prime and read Unicron? it’s my understanding that (at least) the final issue of Optimus Prime takes place after Unicron.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
I think that Unicron and Optimus Prime are interleaved between OP issues 22, 23, and 24, and then 25 is the epilogue. I'm waiting on a friend to hit me with the proper reading order.

EDIT: Here is a single document with everything you need to know:

https://tfwikicommunity.wordpress.com/reading-guides/idw/

Short version: Optimus up through issue 21, Unicron 0, OP22, Unicron 1-4, Optimus 23-24, Unicron 5 and 6, OP25

DoctorWhat fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Dec 25, 2022

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
I really loved Unicrons design.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Merry Christmas everyone! And a special thank you to strangehamster who was my Secret Santa this year!

That’s toy colours Galvatron and Cyclonus!! Many thanks again! :kimchi:

And the sweater is great too! You bet your rear end everyone on the shelf is going to be trying it on.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
CAPT. Rainbowbeard bro...

You had me at CheeseCorn...

But then you drop a friggin masterpiece in addition to the other bad rear end poo poo?!

I am not worthy! So bad rear end! Thank you TF-bro!

My Santee's package should be enroute and I hope you get it soon.

Merry Christmas!

e: jesus this is like Christmas as a kid! I'm awestruck

TheDK fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Dec 25, 2022

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Generations Selects Galvatron is only 27 bucks on Amazon right now, a ludicrously good deal for a Leader class figure

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
https://twitter.com/preterniadotcom/status/1607207324623556612?s=46&t=niejkZX7GMH98Npsddn8yQ

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

https://twitter.com/ROTBTrailer/status/1607240105931964416?t=ibnJKY2MBGVTtJkKwmg1yg&s=19

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Found Tarantulas at the store today. He’s no Inferno, but he’s really good.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

From the mysterious The Great Burrito, I got some classic comics, Kingdom Mirage, and Velocitron 500 Galaxy Shuttle! Not pictured: Cheesies (superior to Cheetos, IMO) ketchup flavored chips, and a selection of fine Canadian chocolates. They... didn't make it till picture time.

Thank you so much! Galaxy Shuttle looks like he's related to Jazz and I couldn't track one down on my own. This is great! I'm pretty sure I've now got the first appearance of IDW Drift in here, too!

CAPT. Rainbowbeard fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Dec 26, 2022

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

I like how the vaguely ape-shaped blob jumped backwards into a slightly taller blob

strangehamster
Sep 21, 2010

dance the night away

Thank you Secret Santa, I am intrigued by the Toywolf Fortune Cat. Yes a robot cat that turns into a little floor toilet. I’m also excited for a modern GoBot Mixer Robo.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Gobots!!

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
They really are missing an opportunity to introduce more Gobots into the line.

Crusher being the main exception, and that's still quite limited.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I really hope they do, and they own the rights to the Gobots characters as I understand it? They’re a separate rights body from the Machine Robo characters, I think?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

They own the rights to the GoBots trademarks, meaning what Tonka did with the Machine Robo designs, but not the designs themselves. They can make characters named Leader-1, Crasher, Cy-Kill and so on, but they can't make something that looks substantially and distinctively like the Machine Robo jet, or the Machine Robo F1 car, or the Machine Robo bike thing, at least without risk of getting sued. Road Ranger is a good example of something they're safe doing: A GoBots name on a recoloured G1 character that looks little or nothing like the Machine Robo original.

The new Crasher is a redeco of the Mirage mold, which Hasbro clearly own, and is *partially* inspired by the cartoon look (they arguably own that extremely specific design but it's probably close enough to the toy that it would wind up in court and risk ruining the relatively happy position they're in), but also partly by the Fracture toy that was repurposed as Crasher in the MLP crossover, which they also clearly own. It's an homage, but it's got enough distance to be safe.

Dabir fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Dec 27, 2022

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

He looks like he swallowed a tennis ball.

Edit: Here's Prime. They just kind of gave up on incorporating those bars around his front, huh?
https://twitter.com/ROTBTrailer/status/1607381446297063424

Knormal fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Dec 27, 2022

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Dabir posted:

They own the rights to the GoBots trademarks, meaning what Tonka did with the Machine Robo designs, but not the designs themselves. They can make characters named Leader-1, Crasher, Cy-Kill and so on, but they can't make something that looks substantially and distinctively like the Machine Robo jet, or the Machine Robo F1 car, or the Machine Robo bike thing, at least without risk of getting sued. Road Ranger is a good example of something they're safe doing: A GoBots name on a recoloured G1 character that looks little or nothing like the Machine Robo original.

The new Crasher is a redeco of the Mirage mold, which Hasbro clearly own, and is *partially* inspired by the cartoon look (they arguably own that extremely specific design but it's probably close enough to the toy that it would wind up in court and risk ruining the relatively happy position they're in), but also partly by the Fracture toy that was repurposed as Crasher in the MLP crossover, which they also clearly own. It's an homage, but it's got enough distance to be safe.

Which makes it a bit funny that the Tom Scioli Go-Bots comic leans very heavily on the original toys for it's designs(continuing the design philosophy he had done for Transformers vs GI Joe)

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

drrockso20 posted:

Which makes it a bit funny that the Tom Scioli Go-Bots comic leans very heavily on the original toys for it's designs(continuing the design philosophy he had done for Transformers vs GI Joe)

Yeah, that kinda makes me wonder about how much they can really show, I mean there was no doubting those designs.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
question, when selling boxes, or opened figures alongside their boxes, how much difference does having the original foam/plastic clamshell/etc from the inside of the box matter in the price? I've got a bunch of transformers boxes with styrofoam and plastic inserts still in them, and figure I might just chuck all that interior stuff and flatten the boxes for later instead of having them take up a lot of space.

I mean, I have the space for them to take up, but if the plastic figure holder inside the box doesn't really matter to the price when selling an opened figure, I might just say gently caress it and get rid of those.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

I think that if you're including a box at all, it's the whole packaging people want. Otherwise the toy is just rattling around in some cardboard.

Conversely, I think most people are not interested in paying premium for packaging at all, unless the packaging is fancy and designed to be resealable/good storage. Like SOC GaoGaiGar.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Yeah only packaging I've kept in recent years was the packaging for Trypticon(as it made storing him a bit easier) and for the HISS Tank Megatron set, would have kept the packaging for the Jurassic Park set too but it had a giant gash in it when I pulled it out of the delivery box

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
good to know. and with the recent releases, the packaging is all cardboard and collapsible, which is helpful :v:

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

drrockso20 posted:

Yeah only packaging I've kept in recent years was the packaging for Trypticon(as it made storing him a bit easier) and for the HISS Tank Megatron set, would have kept the packaging for the Jurassic Park set too but it had a giant gash in it when I pulled it out of the delivery box

DINO DAMAGE

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
Follow-up to my secret santa post from rainbowbeard, I don't know what these things are but they are rad and combine into a terrifying plane-monster:

Also short story, I gave my nephews the Core class Soundwave last year and recently my wife found one of his arms in her car. We held onto it until they were here visiting this week and returned it. I was always jealous of that little guy and never got one for myself, but now I have it!

Not pictured: MP-55. I just got her into robot mode today. Lots of accessories to play with so I'll snap a pic once I find a worthy pose, but she is definitely going into my newly arranged display area, as pictured here:

e: oh and Skywasp! He'll be on the Predacon shelf.

TheDK fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Dec 28, 2022

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Those planes are megabox/beastbox stuff and I love those guys. Animal that becomes cube? What more could you want in life? Two monkey that turn into cube and are also combiners so you can form a giant gorilla out them? Luckily they have that too.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Yup, he's right. Those are MegaBox.

I'm glad you like your gifts, TheDK! Forgetting to cancel the second Nightbird (because Hasbro Pulse is a nightmare to see what you've preordered) and being matched with someone strongly in favor of black repaints was a very happy accident indeed!

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Fun fact: Jhiaxus's chest has just enough room to slot a Prime Master or Titan Master in there, held securely by the nose cone. Like, say, the Prime Master of the Liege Maximo. For instance.

Shiftypenguin
Mar 15, 2005

Antique Roadshow
My local Walmart had Retrax on clearance for $15 so I grabbed one finally. He's such a goofy little guy. Like, his articulation isn't great and he can't stand on his own really, but there's a certain charm about him.

Also apparently he missing two legs and his antennas are on backwards... cuz Walmart, I guess.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Can't believe that of all of Beast Wars it's Retrax the Overly Friendly that gets a reissue

He hung out on shelves so long back in the day that I had several chances to stand there for minutes going "is that too silly to spend $15 on?" (cause that's what deluxes cost in Canada in the late 90s)

Now if they reissued The Meat from Rocky I'd be there with bells on

strangehamster posted:

Thank you Secret Santa, I am intrigued by the Toywolf Fortune Cat. Yes a robot cat that turns into a little floor toilet. I’m also excited for a modern GoBot Mixer Robo.

Merry Christmas! Sorry if that was a little too out in left field, I was buying with my sense of humour that day. I've always liked that Mixer Robo in particular out of the Action Toys crew, because of the knives. Why is the cement mixer guy also the stabby guy? Who knows? Kniiives.

I got my Santa yesterday, too, and it is awesome. The request was "just gently caress me up" and TheDK came through with a scout-class Cyberverse? Arcee, Kingdom Slammer, and the Skywarp/Earth Sideswipe combo pack. I do love a Lambo, and now my Lambos will match! Also, enough dollar store convertiforming robobusters to stage a small knockoff beatdown or make jokes about ANKLEBITER and EQUIPMENCE for the rest of time, and a lovely Jesus's Birthday card to boot! Thank you, dude!

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
The toy wolf toilet bots are ridiculous and I love them. I have three I think?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shiftypenguin
Mar 15, 2005

Antique Roadshow

Phy posted:

Can't believe that of all of Beast Wars it's Retrax the Overly Friendly that gets a reissue

He hung out on shelves so long back in the day that I had several chances to stand there for minutes going "is that too silly to spend $15 on?" (cause that's what deluxes cost in Canada in the late 90s)

Now if they reissued The Meat from Rocky I'd be there with bells on

Yeah, of all the characters to reissue he's a head scratcher for sure. I wonder if it's a mold availability thing or something?