Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
This seems bad

https://twitter.com/AndrewFeinberg/status/1607848139104620544

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Mike Pence was terrified his own Secret Service detail was either going to abduct or execute him if he got into a car with them on January 6th, I don't blame Biden for not trusting them. The whole organization needs to be flushed and refreshed.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

nine-gear crow posted:

Mike Pence was terrified his own Secret Service detail was either going to abduct or execute him if he got into a car with them on January 6th, I don't blame Biden for not trusting them. The whole organization needs to be flushed and refreshed.

But lol, with who? There's only one place cops come from.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Resident Evil 4 had the right idea you recruit from cops who only lasted as cops for one day so it hasn't fully metastasized.

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

the_steve posted:

Yeah, why would anyone stop doing the thing that constantly rewards them with millions of dollars, especially when the only punishment for failure is being constantly rewarded slightly less millions of dollars?

That, and the airlines themselves are essentially loss-leaders for their rewards program subsidiaries, which are many times larger and more profitable. They essentially print their own currency (airline miles), set their own exchange rates (how many miles each flight costs), and then sells these quasi-securities to (mostly) credit card companies.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

I'd be mad at anyone who made me get rid of my dog, too.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Historically, with foreigners who can't speak your language so they won't get drawn into courtly politics.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Members in good standing of a John Brown Gun Club, or similar organization.

Or we hire a bunch of Scandanavians or Swiss who promise to wear silly uniforms.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Normy posted:

I did see a tiktok about 4 strangers who rented a car to go from Florida to the north east somewhere. Didn't see how it ended up though.

A few years ago I had a ORD-IAH flight canceled and couldn't get anything else for like 6 days. I absolutely took the refund, grabbed a rental, and drove the 20 or so hours from Chicago to Houston in one go. I trashed the rental in the process (flight canceled due to a blizzard) but gently caress it, I bought the insurance for a reason.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

forbidden dialectics posted:

That, and the airlines themselves are essentially loss-leaders for their rewards program subsidiaries, which are many times larger and more profitable. They essentially print their own currency (airline miles), set their own exchange rates (how many miles each flight costs), and then sells these quasi-securities to (mostly) credit card companies.

What do the credit card companies do with these uh... whatever they are being sold (frequent flyer miles?) I know pretty much nothing about securities or finance, or even much about rewards programs seeing as I haven't flown in well over a decade.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Tayter Swift posted:

What do the credit card companies do with these uh... whatever they are being sold (frequent flyer miles?) I know pretty much nothing about securities or finance, or even much about rewards programs seeing as I haven't flown in well over a decade.

I'm not entirely sure what that person means by selling the miles to credit card companies, but every airline has one or more partnerships with banks and/or credit card companies to offer a card where you can earn miles for your spending.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Shooting Blanks posted:

earn miles for your spending.

:doh: I forgot about that direction, I was only thinking of frequent flyer miles. Interest on the cards will get them their cut then.

I think I get it now, thanks :)

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Gyges posted:

Or we hire a bunch of Scandanavians or Swiss who promise to wear silly uniforms.

Once again, opinions I was pilloried and probated for previously just take their sweet-rear end time becoming conventional opinion in CE.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

selec posted:

Once again, opinions I was pilloried and probated for previously just take their sweet-rear end time becoming conventional opinion in CE.

That's kind of a literal joke but uh okay.

Also lol that people the mainstream Democrats absolutely will pillory as insane dangerous partisans are literally the only ones who could even possibly be trusted to defend their lives at this point.

And this isn't an exaggeration. On any level, you'd be hard to find a cop in America who isn't salivating at the idea of presenting a literal severed head of a Democrat to Donald Trump personally.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

Gyges posted:

I would legit want my tax dollars go to the Presidential Guardsmen Halberdiers Regiment tbh.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Ghost Leviathan posted:

That's kind of a literal joke but uh okay.

Also lol that people the mainstream Democrats absolutely will pillory as insane dangerous partisans are literally the only ones who could even possibly be trusted to defend their lives at this point.

And this isn't an exaggeration. On any level, you'd be hard to find a cop in America who isn't salivating at the idea of presenting a literal severed head of a Democrat to Donald Trump personally.

Mine was a joke too, but we’re getting at the same home truth here: regardless of where the posting is, domestically or foreign, anybody who wants to pick up a gun for America should probably be prevented from doing so just on the basis of what kind of person our culture produces who wants to do that.

Everybody loves Batman but nobody takes the time to ask why he need a a form fitting latex fetish suit and a bigger tank-car every year to do his job.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
Those were good boys.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

selec posted:

Mine was a joke too, but we’re getting at the same home truth here: regardless of where the posting is, domestically or foreign, anybody who wants to pick up a gun for America should probably be prevented from doing so just on the basis of what kind of person our culture produces who wants to do that.

Everybody loves Batman but nobody takes the time to ask why he need a a form fitting latex fetish suit and a bigger tank-car every year to do his job.

Everyone knows why

small butter
Oct 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 38 minutes!

nine-gear crow posted:

This is so shocking to me. Not sure if I should be shocked. I would think that Secret Service agents are the best of the best, truly professional people, who are there to strictly do their jobs.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Gyges posted:

Robviously posted:

I would legit want my tax dollars go to the Presidential Guardsmen Halberdiers Regiment tbh.

Believe it or not, but the Secret Service did briefly have official uniforms that make them look absolutely ridiculous. It was Nixon's idea, because apparently he thought people didn't get that he was a supervillain.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

small butter posted:

This is so shocking to me. Not sure if I should be shocked. I would think that Secret Service agents are the best of the best, truly professional people, who are there to strictly do their jobs.

The result of a system is it’s intent. If they are the best, truly professional law enforcement the US can offer, they are definitionally right wing stooges ready to murder at the behest of class imperative.

Tell me what a “good cop” looks like, and then go google Adrian Schoolcraft.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

cat botherer posted:

Those were good boys.

I hope Major comes back, and I hope he bites people.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Believe it or not, but the Secret Service did briefly have official uniforms that make them look absolutely ridiculous. It was Nixon's idea, because apparently he thought people didn't get that he was a supervillain.

While almost all of our Presidents are war criminals or some other form of villain, we are still sitting at only one super villain President. And it ain't Nixon.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

selec posted:

The result of a system is it’s intent. If they are the best, truly professional law enforcement the US can offer, they are definitionally right wing stooges ready to murder at the behest of class imperative.

Tell me what a “good cop” looks like, and then go google Adrian Schoolcraft.
Or that LAPD cop that a few weeks ago was investigating sexual misconduct of other officers got beaten to death. I wouldn't be surprised if the Secret Service attracts similar people as special forces do. Our special forces are full of literal psychopaths*, but that doesn't stop them from joining an elite organization.

[*] There's all the war crimes and child murder, but also even internecine murder

AsInHowe posted:

I hope Major comes back, and I hope he bites people.
:same:

I also guarantee you they were doing semi-abusive poo poo to provoke the dogs.

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

Shooting Blanks posted:

I'm not entirely sure what that person means by selling the miles to credit card companies, but every airline has one or more partnerships with banks and/or credit card companies to offer a card where you can earn miles for your spending.

Credit card companies offer miles for spending; they buy those miles up front from the airline's rewards subsidiary in order to then give them away as an incentive to their cardholders. The miles are "real" in the sense that they aren't just a coupon or something the credit card company makes up and the airline honors; they're treated as actual assets and the credit card company can't issue them without first owning them.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

small butter posted:

The Secret Service has had a number of unprofessionalism scandals in the past decade or so. Drunk driving in official vehicles, hiring prostitutes while on duty, accepting bribes, presidential bodyguards being sent to guard the house of the director's assistant, leaking personal info about members of Congress to discourage investigations into Secret Service behavior, and so on. Naturally, there have been also been a few security incidents suggesting that their competence has similarly declined.

In the last decade, no less than three Secret Service directors have been essentially forced out by one scandal or another: Mark Sullivan (2006-2013), Julia Pierson (2013-2014), and James Murray (2019-2022). Rather than a simple partisanship issue, I think it's a symbol of how badly an elite group needs strict oversight and discipline, and how quickly institutional rot can set in and turn it into a squad of useless failsons.

It shouldn't be that shocking, imo - signs of this kind of stuff have been visible all over the place, even if our institutions have turned a blind eye. The whole Ronny Johnson thing was a perfect example. The guy spent more than a decade as a White House doctor, and was personal physician to both Obama and Trump, with apparently no issues...but as soon as Trump tried to make him a Cabinet member, suddenly it comes out that he's known among the White House staff as an aggressive drunk who handed out prescription drugs like candy. The media narrative there was "Ronny Johnson is unfit for office", but IMO, a better response would have been "what the gently caress is going on in the White House Medical Unit, and with the presidential appointees who are supposed to be overseeing this poo poo". It's not like "the president's personal doctor" is an unimportant position where it doesn't matter if the guy doing it is a clownshow fuckup.

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

Main Paineframe posted:

The Secret Service has had a number of unprofessionalism scandals in the past decade or so. Drunk driving in official vehicles, hiring prostitutes while on duty, accepting bribes, presidential bodyguards being sent to guard the house of the director's assistant, leaking personal info about members of Congress to discourage investigations into Secret Service behavior, and so on. Naturally, there have been also been a few security incidents suggesting that their competence has similarly declined.

In the last decade, no less than three Secret Service directors have been essentially forced out by one scandal or another: Mark Sullivan (2006-2013), Julia Pierson (2013-2014), and James Murray (2019-2022). Rather than a simple partisanship issue, I think it's a symbol of how badly an elite group needs strict oversight and discipline, and how quickly institutional rot can set in and turn it into a squad of useless failsons.

It shouldn't be that shocking, imo - signs of this kind of stuff have been visible all over the place, even if our institutions have turned a blind eye. The whole Ronny Johnson thing was a perfect example. The guy spent more than a decade as a White House doctor, and was personal physician to both Obama and Trump, with apparently no issues...but as soon as Trump tried to make him a Cabinet member, suddenly it comes out that he's known among the White House staff as an aggressive drunk who handed out prescription drugs like candy. The media narrative there was "Ronny Johnson is unfit for office", but IMO, a better response would have been "what the gently caress is going on in the White House Medical Unit, and with the presidential appointees who are supposed to be overseeing this poo poo". It's not like "the president's personal doctor" is an unimportant position where it doesn't matter if the guy doing it is a clownshow fuckup.

I can't imagine this stuff wasn't even worse in the past, just easier to cover up

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Any doctor who works exclusively for the wealthy is absolutely fine with the fact that their prescription pad is a collaborative doctor-patient effort.

Entire system is designed to comfort and coddle the wealthy, why would the White House work any different?

Probably had to sting for Neera Tanden personally that they have had to seem to tighten that ship up since.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Gyges posted:

Now I could see the Swiss liking that idea but not wanting to put it forward.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

small butter posted:

I remember the Obamas, especially Michelle, not being exactly impressed with them. Some idiot jumping the fence of the White House springs to mind. That and the Secret Service writing off some loud noises as a car backfiring only for someone to open some curtains and find a few bullet impacts in one of the windows a few days later (obviously the White House has bullet proof glass, they just don't announce it).

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Do cars even backfire anymore? I can't remember hearing one do so in my lifetime outside of old timey cartoons.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Alkydere posted:

I remember the Obamas, especially Michelle, not being exactly impressed with them. Some idiot jumping the fence of the White House springs to mind. That and the Secret Service writing off some loud noises as a car backfiring only for someone to open some curtains and find a few bullet impacts in one of the windows a few days later (obviously the White House has bullet proof glass, they just don't announce it).

I bet this is what Michelle and GW bond over, goofy stories about the praetorians

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

I'm driving so I can't track a source for a tweet embed but it looks like Andrew Tate just got arrested in Romania.

Serfer
Mar 10, 2003

The piss tape is real

cr0y posted:

I'm driving so I can't track a source for a tweet embed but it looks like Andrew Tate just got arrested in Romania.

Seems to come from here: https://www.libertatea.ro/stiri/surse-perchezitii-diicot-tristan-tate-andrew-tate-sechestrare-fete-tristan-tate-bianca-dragusanu-4394856/

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

lmao he got arrested because his limp dick video yelling at greta thunberg had a pizza box from a local restaurant in it

what a moron

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

cr0y posted:

Bwahahaha, saw something about his recent Twitter spat with Greta Thunberg let them see something that indicated he was in Romania. So he literally got caught because of trash talking online?!

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Yeah he couldn't put down the Jerry's Pizza (try the tuna and mayo!) which is a Romanian brand to shoot his video rebuttal so the Romanians figured out he was at home and raided his house lol

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

small butter posted:

If it makes you feel just the tiniest bit better, the conjecture was (mostly) less "secret service executes the vice president" and more "secret service holds the vice president at some undisclosed location 'for his protection' long enough for some stooge to perform the election fuckery in his absence" but yeah.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Kith posted:

Do cars even backfire anymore? I can't remember hearing one do so in my lifetime outside of old timey cartoons.

They do not, unless something is going very wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

The writers really had this one thought through huh.

https://twitter.com/Esqueer_/status/1608603222935228418