Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

exquisite tea posted:

There's an option to turn off all pickup animations.

It was added in a patch, but yeah it's there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Or just don't have crafting.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Philippe posted:

It's a great game, but you spend at least a quarter of your time bending down to pick up stuff you'll never use.

The Witcher figured this out years ago: just don't do the animation.

Well, they kinda HALF figured it out.

Witcher 3 still gives you way too much junk to gently caress around with, hoover up, sort, sell, break apart and find recipes for all of it. I kinda like the Resident Evil, Zelda or even Dark Souls approach where just about everything you find is useful to some degree or another instead of your entire inventory being filled with broken glass, brass mugs, dinner plates, coffee beans and apples.

It's one of the reasons I bounced off the Witcher game, despite mostly liking it.

Usually I think that, even in open world games, that a less is more approach works better from a gameplay standpoint, even if it's less "immersive" and narrows down the poo poo that you can do. So many open world games give me analysis paralysis, light up my map with (!) icons or (?) and have me going to the inventory screen way too much. Fallout and Skyrim had the same effect on me where all if it just becomes overwhelming. RDR2 seems like it falls into this category also, but I haven't played it.

I get that in a zombie apocalypse, one would probably loot every store or abandoned house they stumble across and that in the wild west every last scrap, pelt, scrap of copper and piece of leather might be quite useful but that doesn't make it fun for me.

Different strokes I guess and maybe it comes down to me being older with a child and not having the free time I used to be able to spend getting high and playing games but, still, the busy work drags a lot of these games down for me.

TL/DR: Less is more is better in video games.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Yeah, Witcher 3 seems like a case of realizing the problem they had created for themselves halfway through. I think a good example would be how lots of potions use one of 3 or 4 distinct alcohols, but alcohest just also will work as a generic replacement and so booze can just be turned into it. So they likely had their cumbersome system, then figured it was the Unfun kind of cumbersome and added generics like alcohest.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I don't really like crafting in any games but I at least can appreciate when a game actually has 'crafting' where you can genuinely make creative decisions. Instead of 'collect poo poo to make different poo poo by clicking a menu button.'

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I'm still mad at Witcher 3's crafting for straight up not having enough materials to make everything, you're always going to be short a couple of the oils and it feels like a weird attempt at balance that's just not fun

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Dead Space 3's generic ammo system both drags the game down and back up, paradoxically, having now played Callisto. In Callisto Protocol, if you craft a gun and then later decide to obsolete it or don't like it, it's not like it leaves your inventory. You will still find ammo for it (to clog+sell) instead of supplies you need quite frequently. If Dead Space 3 had allowed me to craft my own guns AND forced me to carry a separate type of ammo for each tool/tip type, there'd be no telling what the hell in my inventory I could actually use at that moment.

edit: Seriously every single hallway would become a math problem. "If John has 10 shotgun ammo, but Isaac holds the shotgun, how many of the 10 medkits they share do they have to juggle?"

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 00:26 on Dec 28, 2022

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme
Also removes the handy trick of crafting a contact beam so you can sell the ammo packs. :(

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
After finishing the story in Red Dead Redemption 2, I started playing Red Dead Online just for chill open world cowboy stuff. It's pretty great for that, since I don't care about the grind.

What's dragging it down though is that because it's christmas, I started during some kind of winter event where it's all cold and snowy. Except (non-dorky) warm clothes are really expensive so I'm slowly losing health all the time and desperately trying to get enough money for really warm clothes right from the start!

Edit: what's also dragging RDO down is that due to the silent protagonist thing they lean into hard, you can't talk to cats. I just want to praise cats in RDO like Arthur can in the main story, this suuuuucks

Danger - Octopus! has a new favorite as of 00:53 on Dec 28, 2022

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
When it comes to crafting, I much prefer systems where there are base materials that every item is composed of, and picking up an item just gives you those materials. Find a broken sign? That's wood. A shattered calculator? Electronic bits and plastics. That sort of thing. Could also add 'unique' items, like a broken lawnmower blade to make into a specific type of weed whacking weapon...thing. I dunno. Mostly just thinking about Saints and Sinners and how great that games loop of scavenging items and tossing them into your backup until it fills, then sorting them based on value as you find new stuff to replace less valuable stuff, maximizing your time before the Bells ring and the horde comes out (though even that time limit can be mostly negated by smearing yourself with guts to make yourself invisible to the zombies).

poo poo I can't wait for the sequel.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Morpheus posted:

When it comes to crafting, I much prefer systems where there are base materials that every item is composed of, and picking up an item just gives you those materials. Find a broken sign? That's wood. A shattered calculator? Electronic bits and plastics. That sort of thing. Could also add 'unique' items, like a broken lawnmower blade to make into a specific type of weed whacking weapon...thing. I dunno. Mostly just thinking about Saints and Sinners and how great that games loop of scavenging items and tossing them into your backup until it fills, then sorting them based on value as you find new stuff to replace less valuable stuff, maximizing your time before the Bells ring and the horde comes out (though even that time limit can be mostly negated by smearing yourself with guts to make yourself invisible to the zombies).

that sucks rear end, just remove the crafting system instead of having a bunch of boring fungible materials and "run around and mash the loot button until your Wood Meter fills up" gameplay. at that point it's just Money But Worse

crafting systems are only cool when you beat a hidden side boss and loot the Ultra Phase Crystal which you can use to make a unique laser sword

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Shiroc posted:

I don't really like crafting in any games but I at least can appreciate when a game actually has 'crafting' where you can genuinely make creative decisions. Instead of 'collect poo poo to make different poo poo by clicking a menu button.'
This War Of Mine has the best crafting system in any game I've ever played. You have four or five generic resources and powerful items are <clearly labelled ingredient unique to that recipe> + <an amount of one or more of the generic resources>.
e:

Morpheus posted:

Play this war of mine

Splicer has a new favorite as of 01:16 on Dec 28, 2022

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Splicer posted:

This War Of Mine has the best crafting system in any game I've ever played. You have four or five generic resources and powerful items are <clearly labelled ingredient unique to that recipe> + <an amount of one or more of the generic resources>.
e:

Play this war of mine

Do this but be ready to feel Extremely Bad Feelings.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

orcane posted:

It really is. Most gaming websites had an article saying it's poo poo, then went right back to cater to all the FOMO addicted idiots who keep this game running with "how to get this seasons OP gear" articles.

Literally every 3~ months or so I see the exact same kind of "Destiny 2's playerbase is angry because the game sucks, but Bungie promises to fix it any day now" article. Every three months, unerringly. For like the past couple of years.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
I feel like I posted in this very thread ages ago about Tactics Ogre's crafting. The new port solves all of them... but introduces new problems by creating a reliance on random drops for a lot of endgame gear. Alas, LUCT is a baffling game still.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
The problem with HZD's crafting is that the most limited resources (animal parts) are also the least interesting to obtain (because animals are boring to hunt/fight compared to giant robots).

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The Surge 1's crafting is really slick and intuitive. You need Level 1 parts to make a Level 1 armor/weapon, ergo if you have Level 5 parts you can just skip that and make it Level 5. The cost to upgrade does not change, so that Level 5 weapon will ALWAYS sum up to the same overall worth no matter when you make it. Neat!

One of the only negative changes made by The Surge 2 was to this system. You now have to individually break down every chopped off body part in menus by holding X for a few seconds on the Level 1, the Level 2, the Level 3, the Level 4, and the Level 5 to finally upgrade one of the six pieces of armor you wear. There's genuinely no more nuance to explain there, they just totally overhauled the system for a worse one. Sure it's still non-complex, but generally just much more of a pain in the rear end to use??

edit: It's individually crafting bullets/arrows in RDR2, if you want an easy comparison. Hold X and tap left d-pad without being allowed to look away from the screen for quite literally minutes!

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 07:31 on Dec 28, 2022

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Bussamove posted:

Do this but be ready to feel Extremely Bad Feelings.

This is precisely why I do not play This War of Mine

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The other day my friend was talking about how in his Rimworld colony he has converted the humans to cattle in "bedrooms" with shelving and beds but with pig voice modulators and collects their blood to sell while they generate their own food via mutated organs and at that point I just had to wonder, are these the people that burned anthills with magnifying glasses as kids

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 07:50 on Dec 28, 2022

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

CJacobs posted:

edit: It's individually crafting bullets/arrows in RDR2, if you want an easy comparison. Hold X and tap left d-pad without being allowed to look away from the screen for quite literally minutes!

I don't know why, maybe I'm weird, but I kind of like crafting individual arrows in Red Dead 2, especially with small game arrows, where you use them for a specific purpose. The hunting is so good, even hunting tiny rats and poo poo, that I feel like every arrow is precious because I spent some effort making it.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Morpheus posted:

Ah well, maybe some day someone will apply this war of mine's crafting methodology to something less soul destroying. I'm off to get all hosed up on feelings and well designed game mechanics.

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

I'd say it was your manifest destiny not to.

I started to play Yakuza: Like a Dragon last night, and by play I mean I mostly sat there and watched cut scenes. So goddamn many cut scenes, I really hope it's mostly for the introduction and I get to do more with the rest of the game. I finished chapter one and I'm a ways into chapter two.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
I think it’s a series standard for Yakuza games to start slow as hell and with a lot of story. God know how many people it’s chased off.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Solenna posted:

I started to play Yakuza: Like a Dragon last night, and by play I mean I mostly sat there and watched cut scenes. So goddamn many cut scenes, I really hope it's mostly for the introduction and I get to do more with the rest of the game. I finished chapter one and I'm a ways into chapter two.

Chapter 4 had less cutscenes, and Chapter 5 is when the game opens up more with sidequests and the job system. Just get through the first few chapters and you'll have less lengthy cutscenes.

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

I'd say it was your manifest destiny not to.

That's a relief. I'm pretty sure the game I've played the most this year so far is Dead Cells so sitting through piles of cut scenes has been quite an adjustment.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...
FFX remastered on PC has a Fast Forward "cheat" option and skippable cutscenes so I thought that it'd make the early game more bearable but it turns out that the only cutscenes you can skip are the CGI ones that last like 5 seconds and all the in-engine ones remain unskippable, and the Fast Forward function works on basically nothing. Nothing that could remotely be considered a cutscene can be sped up; you can speed up the overworld but talking to people, opening chests, etc. brings it back to normal speed, and you can speed up combat but at the beginning of the game it sorta breaks when there's any kind of in-battle dialogue.

Spek
Jun 15, 2012

Bagel!
Oh yeah that's really annoying. FFX is one of my favourites mechanically and I'd love to blow through the game every year or two if I could skip all the cutscenes, but there's near 10 hours of cutscenes.

I heard, and it's quite possibly just dumb rumour since I don't recall where I heard it, but I heard when they were making the remaster they tried adding skippable cutscenes but doing so added random crashes they couldn't figure out the exact cause of during the dev period so dropped the feature.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

CJacobs posted:

The other day my friend was talking about how in his Rimworld colony he has converted the humans to cattle in "bedrooms" with shelving and beds but with pig voice modulators and collects their blood to sell while they generate their own food via mutated organs and at that point I just had to wonder, are these the people that burned anthills with magnifying glasses as kids

I think it's just the nature of such open-ended games; in Crusader Kings 2 for example, I basically conquered parts of Europe from North Africa not for empire building, but so I had territories into which I could dump the unwanted products of dynastic incest- and since this was CK2, there was a lot of incest. At one point, I had made it so that the entirely of northern Africa was basically populated by Jojos, while Europe was filled with shambling horrors. This backfired on me when the Aztecs invaded with a billion troops and basically took over Spain, Ireland, Britain and France :v:

Also IIRC there were three ways you could accidentally eat your pregnant wife, though I could only remember two:

1: First was during a random event if your character was in a castle with his family while the castle was being sieged. In such a situation, you might get a random event asking you if you want to 'supplement' your diet with some long pig, and if you don't pay attention to who your target is, then welp.

2: Second I remember was to become a Satanist, then try to arrange an assassination of a rival via Brazen Bull. In some cases, a particularly cunning rival might be able to switch positions beforehand with one of your family members, and again (I cannot stress this enough), welp.

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

Spek posted:

Tried starting the Outer Wilds last night and drat does it hit hard with motion sickness.

There's only a handful games I've ever played that gave me motion sickness and I wish I could figure out what the commonality between them is. Turok for the N64, Half Life & Half Life 2, Left 4 Dead 2, Fable 3, and now Outer Wilds.

How something like the Portal games don't give me any problems with all their bizarre movement but I cant walk through an apartment building in Half Life 2 without wanting to die despite them being on the same engine is so bizarre.
Late reply, but an issue that I have had a few times.

I finally played the Half Life series a few years ago. HL1 was fine (it was the version using the HL2 version), but the two expansions made me feel nauseated. It was the first time I remember experiencing it in a game. Now I quit a game as soon as I get that feeling, since I will feel it for hours afterwards.

I haven't been able to figure out the pattern.

HL2 was fine for me, but Portal was bad.
Alan Wake was bad, but Quantum Break and Control were fine.
Metro Exodus, Dead Space 1 & 2, and Kingdom Come: Deliverance were all bad.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Morpheus posted:

It bothered me that there was almost nothing you could do in gameplay to show solidarity to others and cooperate.

Like, you could give some kids with a sick mom some food, once, as a randon event.

But aside from that your interactions with your neighbors were mostly prepper 'we gotta fortify our compound and have guns to shoot looters or go out and do looting' poo poo, and not the more true-to-reality banding together with neighbors and the community to survive together (as actually happened in sarajevo, which the game is supposed to be based on).

Admittedly my last straw with it was when i tried clicking on something and it opened a browser for some microtransactions.

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:

Tunicate posted:

Admittedly my last straw with it was when i tried clicking on something and it opened a browser for some microtransactions.

Lmao WHAT

Didn't this game get lauded on release? Is there another survive-during-wartime game I'm getting it confused with? I'd probably throw the baby out with the bathwater too if the game asked me to pony up for microtransactions.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
Microtransactions truly was That War of Theirs

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Tunicate posted:

It bothered me that there was almost nothing you could do in gameplay to show solidarity to others and cooperate.

Like, you could give some kids with a sick mom some food, once, as a randon event.

But aside from that your interactions with your neighbors were mostly prepper 'we gotta fortify our compound and have guns to shoot looters or go out and do looting' poo poo, and not the more true-to-reality banding together with neighbors and the community to survive together (as actually happened in sarajevo, which the game is supposed to be based on).

Do you mean the DLC expansion packs?

https://microtransaction.zone/Game?id=45657

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Maybe? All i recall is i clicked on a character or a location or something when starting a new game and it minimized the game window and opened my browser and tried to sell it to me.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

jjack229 posted:

Late reply, but an issue that I have had a few times.

I finally played the Half Life series a few years ago. HL1 was fine (it was the version using the HL2 version), but the two expansions made me feel nauseated. It was the first time I remember experiencing it in a game. Now I quit a game as soon as I get that feeling, since I will feel it for hours afterwards.

I haven't been able to figure out the pattern.

HL2 was fine for me, but Portal was bad.
Alan Wake was bad, but Quantum Break and Control were fine.
Metro Exodus, Dead Space 1 & 2, and Kingdom Come: Deliverance were all bad.

Third person stuff is a little easier to pin down, I think. Thanks to camera and animation choices a lot of behind the shoulder games make it feel like your character is constantly moving slightly off-center, which depending on the severity can definitely make you feel sick sooner or later. That was also the era where sprinting meant loving with the FoV, cranking up the motion blur, and/or adding a ton of headbob to the camera to sell it. Horror games are also more likely to involve a lot of mucking with the camera to aim at skittering little threats or making the act of aiming suddenly feel wrong because something popped up right in your face.

Funny thing w/r/t your character controlling off-center, Binding of Isaac of all things once gave me motion sickness thanks to one item that severs your head from your body (and control) and turns it into an orbital and another that as part of its graphical effect removes your body. Trying to figure out where my body actually was so I could navigate through doors was steadily making me nauseous though ultimately nowhere near as bad as anything 3D ever has.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Splicer posted:

Ah well, maybe some day someone will apply this war of mine's crafting methodology to something less soul destroying. I'm off to get all hosed up on feelings and well designed game mechanics.

Siege Survival: Gloria Victus is basically This War Of Mine but from a top-down perspective. It's still kind of grim, but not quite as "In modern war you will die like a dog for no good reason."

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
Neo: the World Ends with You has the most dogshit minimap I've ever seen. The levels have weird camera angles that don't match up to the minimap, which can shift anywhere up to 90 degrees off kilter. It makes tracking fights harder than it should be.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Lego Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga is great and all, but at the end of RotJ it doesn't play Yub Nub

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
Grow: Song of the Evertree is so chill, I'm really enjoying it so far. Harvest Moon meets a city builder (I hope that's the term for it), with some exploration. Perfect for winding down before bed.

But the text is so drat small! :bahgawd:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
Thymersia’s 3rd act boss is a cool dude with a sword who has a fun first phase to fight.

Too bad his second phase is the exact same, only with a dodge attack that is inconsistent as all hell to dodge.

This is a Sekiro clone! Let that dude go crazy with his sword I wanna deflect him!