Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Clip-On Fedora posted:

Theyre the bad guys!!!!!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Slavvy posted:

Time to post this classic that also applies to NZ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTCqXlDjx18

My newest hot take for NZ's defence activities is that they are actually a defence against the USA getting salty and imposing tariffs or doing a soft coup.

Confirms the Russian claims that the Ukrainians were considering flooding the river.
The most interesting thing to me about this, which I have seen on other sites' coverage of Ukraine, is that it's not behind the usual paywall.
I'd like to circle back to the discussion about captured equipment (much to some people's dismay I'm sure). What volumes of what equipment do you think was captured and what evidence are you basing it on?

Atrocious Joe posted:

Will Odesa erect more runestones to commemorate it's viking heritage now?

One was already installed by a Danish firm after they claimed victory over a series of corrupt officials and institutions.

https://odessa-journal.com/the-viking-warriors-battle-in-odessa-against-the-corruption/

Rurik was from Sweden you Danish bog-men!

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
maybe learn the definition to words before you use them. no need to be embarrassed, you can always ask for help.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Didn’t think it was so controversial. Why do you guys believe Russia’s invasion is exempt from being labeled as imperialist?

You can be anti-imperialist regarding multiple nations and actors. Not sure why russia should get a pass as an imperialist actor. Empires compete with one another, and other nations get stuck in the middle regularly.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

mlmp08 posted:

Didn’t think it was so controversial. Why do you guys believe Russia’s invasion is exempt from being labeled as imperialist?

You can be anti-imperialist regarding multiple nations and actors. Not sure why russia should get a pass as an imperialist actor. Empires compete with one another, and other nations get stuck in the middle regularly.

what makes it imperialist?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Weka posted:

The most interesting thing to me about this, which I have seen on other sites' coverage of Ukraine, is that it's not behind the usual paywall.

Oh, ha. Yeah, they regularly put their longforms or some special interest pieces out front. Like Covid reporting was that way IIRC. I just trusted Ardennes when he said it was behind a paywall.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
That article had absolutely nothing new on Kharkov they 3d printed a diorama for themselves. Just because you spill a ton of words on a subject doesn’t mean you are saying anything. Yeah, we know initially the LNR militia panicked but it took time to take Balakliya and once the AFU pushed from it the Russians had already left.

Also as far as “touching the poop” ignoring it never works, it just smells up the place until you address it. It has always been that way. In all honesty, the best way to defend the existence of the thread is to contest narratives if they aren’t backed by substance.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 22:27 on Dec 29, 2022

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CongoJack posted:

maybe learn the definition to words before you use them. no need to be embarrassed, you can always ask for help.

he still doesn’t understand the words ‘route’ or ‘america blew up the nordstream pipeline’, baby steps op

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Weka posted:

My newest hot take for NZ's defence activities is that they are actually a defence against the USA getting salty and imposing tariffs or doing a soft coup.

The USA does not need to do any of this because all nz governments line up behind them like good little dogs at every opportunity instead of getting friendly with China like our actual interests would dictate. The population at large is all in on free world liberal brain worms bullshit.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ardennes posted:

That article had absolutely nothing new in it besides they 3d printed a diorama for themselves. Just because you spill a ton of words on a subject doesn’t mean you are saying anything. Yeah, we know initially the LNR militia panicked but it took time to take Balakliya and once the AFU pushed from it the Russians had already left.

Also as far as “touching the poop” ignoring it never works, it just smells up the place until you address it. It has always been that way. In all honesty, the best way to defend the existence of the thread is to contest narratives if they aren’t backed by substance.

tbf i thought it was extremely funny that they quoted the entire loving article when pedantically trying to dispute whether it was a retreat or a rout

i expected an incredibly tedious rebuttal but that was just too funny

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Ardennes posted:

That article had absolutely nothing new in it besides they 3d printed a diorama for themselves. Just because you spill a ton of words on a subject doesn’t mean you are saying anything. Yeah, we know initially the LNR militia panicked but it took time to take Balakliya and once the AFU pushed from it the Russians had already left.

You are wrong sorry. Responding just feeds into it, kind of mind-blowing that you can't see how that's the entire strategy and just keep falling for it over and over.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

AnimeIsTrash posted:

what makes it imperialist?

Invading and annexing your neighbor and declaring that your country deserve to own their country’s land is and declaring that you have to do so in competition with another imperial power is a small start for your research into imperialism. Gonna go hiking while you learn about imperialism, cause man, writing a paper on imperialism is no fun.

Me? I think this is an imperialist invasion. But you literally don’t have to pay attention to my opinion. You can keep believing it isn’t imperialism if you like. There’s no requirement for us to all agree that Russia’s invasion is imperialist.

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
Anyone imperial here can LEAVE. :thanks:

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Slavvy posted:

Derailing the thread in nonsense is his goal

As many people have remarked this is the only place on the internet where a meaningful discussion about the war is even possible. He is a wrecker who's only purpose is to destroy that discussion entirely. By replying you are helping fulfill that aim. Use your fucken brain.

There's nothing to derail bud, the best posts in this thread are people pasting excerpts from published books, or the occasional funny joke. I wouldn't be so self-important to think that somebody here would act annoying as a job for the government(?), rather than as a manifestation of a repellant personality.

Weka posted:

Rurik was from Sweden you Danish bog-men!

The funny thing about the vikings is that they were habitually cosmopolitan and comfortable adopting foreign customs and populations. All the blood-and-soil nationalists love taking norse aesthetics without really understanding that the spread of norse culture was antithetical to such an ideology.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
im getting deja vu

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Slavvy posted:

You are wrong sorry. Responding just feeds into it, kind of mind-blowing that you can't see how that's the entire strategy and just keep falling for it over and over.

Ardennes, we need to join together in a united front to sanction mlp08 until he posts better. no replies until he learns what imperialism means, deal?

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Slavvy posted:

The USA does not need to do any of this because all nz governments line up behind them like good little dogs at every opportunity instead of getting friendly with China like our actual interests would dictate. The population at large is all in on free world liberal brain worms bullshit.

Michael Corleone didn’t need to do half the things he thought he needed to do either.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Oh yeah, this was mentioned somewhere else but I didn't really think about it now.

The previous missile attack was different in that the missiles were the 2nd wave, and several were specifically aimed at Ukrainian AA. The 1st wave was the geran/shaheed drones last night.

Anyway, the new wave of drone strikes is happening now. We'll see if there's going to be another missile attack later in support of that theory.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lostconfused posted:

Oh yeah, this was mentioned somewhere else but I didn't really think about it now.

The previous missile attack was different in that the missiles were the 2nd wave, and several were specifically aimed at Ukrainian AA. The 1st wave was the geran/shaheed drones last night.

Anyway, the new wave of drone strikes is happening now. We'll see if there's going to be another missile attack later in support of that theory.

well that would be smart. launch a wave, target the current locations of their AA sites, launch a followup wave to destroy or disable them. it leaves the UAF stuck choosing to not use what AA they do have (patriot?? lmfao) or using it and getting it blown up

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Slavvy posted:

Maybe something like mythologizing Kharkov needs to be addressed? You are worried it makes a mess and I don’t get that it makes a mess, I do, but doesn’t mean it isn’t a subject that has to be addressed even if a poster is treats their other posters poorly.

Something like arguing if the West published a story or not on warehouse is small fries, that Ukrainian troops entering Kharkov started a rout really isn’t a derail though.

The “grande” wapo was posted and it turned out to be either things everyone knew or recycled puffery.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 22:44 on Dec 29, 2022

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

lobotomy molo posted:

(patriot?? lmfao)

They have zero of those.

E: ok, now for real gonna go hike and touch grass and snow

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

mlmp08 posted:

Invading and annexing your neighbor and declaring that your country deserve to own their country’s land is and declaring that you have to do so in competition with another imperial power is a small start for your research into imperialism. Gonna go hiking while you learn about imperialism, cause man, writing a paper on imperialism is no fun.

Me? I think this is an imperialist invasion. But you literally don’t have to pay attention to my opinion. You can keep believing it isn’t imperialism if you like. There’s no requirement for us to all agree that Russia’s invasion is imperialist.

nice ad hominem and straw man fallacies, I just asked you what made it imperialist

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

mlmp08 posted:

On the way back from your walk you should look into the concept of proxy warfare and vassal states, because if I can get it, anybody can get it.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Clip-On Fedora posted:

On the way back from your walk you should look into the concept of proxy warfare and vassal states, because if I can get it, anybody can get it.

If you all yourself a defensive alliance then you can do anything you want, it’s the rules!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Ardennes posted:

Maybe something like mythologizing Kharkov needs to be addressed? You are worried it makes a mess and I don’t get that it makes a mess, I do, but doesn’t mean it isn’t a subject that has to be addressed even if a poster is treats their other posters poorly.

Something like arguing if the West published a story or not on warehouse is small fries, that Ukrainian troops entering Kharkov started a rout really isn’t a derail though.

The “grande” wapo was posted and it turned out to be either things everyone knew or recycled puffery.

Engaging with one particular poster is the issue, the subject matter is not the issue. Just stop replying to him specifically, the details are irrelevant, the facts are irrelevant.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Slavvy posted:

Engaging with one particular poster is the issue, the subject matter is not the issue. Just stop replying to him specifically, the details are irrelevant, the facts are irrelevant.

Honestly, they would wait they used were incorrect about a minor point or misspelled something, then constantly drag them until they got a response. At some point someone is going to say a tank has a 105mm rather than a 100mm gun and they will keep hounding them over it even after the other poster concedes the point.

I can stay out of it, but you know it is just going to happen at some point.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 23:08 on Dec 29, 2022

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

mlmp08 posted:

Oh, ha. Yeah, they regularly put their longforms or some special interest pieces out front. Like Covid reporting was that way IIRC. I just trusted Ardennes when he said it was behind a paywall.

What volumes of what equipment do you think was captured and what evidence are you basing it on?

Slavvy posted:

True, but Whitlam and Rudd served as pretty good examples of what the Yankee menace will do.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

mlmp08 posted:

How is there any meaning to a completely undemocratic country's borders (especially one that only existed relatively recently historically)? I get that you think this is some sort of axiomatic truth that doesn't even need to be thought about it, but that isn't the case. What meaningfully makes Russian's actions imperialist and Ukraine's not? The only difference is the position of the border between the countries (and the scale, which is the actual reason to think Russia's actions are bad here). Wars should be judged on the basis of their direct impact on people, rather than any nonsense about "sovereignty" (which is a transparently stupid concept when referring to a country like Ukraine, unless you just really care about the interests of a small group of rich people/nationalists, especially since most people in the invaded region actually prefer the invading country due to their region having literally been a part of it in living memory).

Calling this imperialism basically uses a definition of the term so general and vague that it applies to nearly every country on the planet (because you have to expand the definition to "any political action taken to influence another country").

If you're going to call a country like Russia imperialist, you need to come up with a completely different term to refer to a country like the US, because you've completely removed from it any useful meaning. Imperialism is only really useful as a concept when referring to either policy extracting wealth/resources from a country and/or directly seizing territory with the interest of replacing its with your own people. Otherwise you've just defined literally all conflict between countries as "imperialism," rendering the term less-than-useless (because it actually serves to dilute its meaning to the extent that there's no good way to define the nature of something like the US or British Empires).

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Also, the article was very much behind a paywall for me, if someone else found a good way around it without a dodgy extension, tell me. That said, it only confirms (again) how empty of a mouthpiece the Washington Post is.

As far as the missile attacks go, I would say the shift to me is that they are getting larger in size and that cities that were previously of lesser priority like Lviv are moving up the list. That said, they are still not hitting certain targets including most plants themselves. IWe will see in the next two weeks if they is more of an escalation because winter is only going to last so long, and the Russians really don't want to be in another situation where they have to advance in late February. If they did try a winter assault, they would still have to slow down once mud season hit.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 23:17 on Dec 29, 2022

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Ardennes posted:

Honestly, they would wait they used were incorrect about a minor point or misspelled something, then constantly drag them until they got a response. At some point someone is going to say a tank has a 105mm rather than a 100mm gun and they will keep hounding them over it even after the other poster concedes the point.

no look if you follow this osint account that was created this year in february it's actually a 102.5mm gun if you count the number of pixels and compare it to the pictures on wikipedia and furthermo-

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/squatsons/status/1608154249980170241

on another note russian side of social media is counting 27 brigades from ukraine at bakhmut

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

Oh my god are we seriously arguing over whether this is an imperialist war again or not, is it April 2022 or something

just close the drat thread until there's a winter offensive

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Not we, just one poster.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
every dumb rear end poster who posts "close the thread" needs a probe

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

AnimeIsTrash posted:

nice ad hominem and straw man fallacies, I just asked you what made it imperialist

Ytlaya posted:

How is there any meaning to a completely undemocratic country's borders (especially one that only existed relatively recently historically)? I get that you think this is some sort of axiomatic truth that doesn't even need to be thought about it, but that isn't the case. What meaningfully makes Russian's actions imperialist and Ukraine's not? The only difference is the position of the border between the countries (and the scale, which is the actual reason to think Russia's actions are bad here). Wars should be judged on the basis of their direct impact on people, rather than any nonsense about "sovereignty" (which is a transparently stupid concept when referring to a country like Ukraine, unless you just really care about the interests of a small group of rich people/nationalists, especially since most people in the invaded region actually prefer the invading country due to their region having literally been a part of it in living memory).

Calling this imperialism basically uses a definition of the term so general and vague that it applies to nearly every country on the planet (because you have to expand the definition to "any political action taken to influence another country").

If you're going to call a country like Russia imperialist, you need to come up with a completely different term to refer to a country like the US, because you've completely removed from it any useful meaning. Imperialism is only really useful as a concept when referring to either policy extracting wealth/resources from a country and/or directly seizing territory with the interest of replacing its with your own people. Otherwise you've just defined literally all conflict between countries as "imperialism," rendering the term less-than-useless (because it actually serves to dilute its meaning to the extent that there's no good way to define the nature of something like the US or British Empires).

Weka posted:

What volumes of what equipment do you think was captured and what evidence are you basing it on?
True, but Whitlam and Rudd served as pretty good examples of what the Yankee menace will do.

Clip-On Fedora posted:

please reply to literally any other poster itt, a total embargo on mlp08’s terrible posting is the only way to stop it since the mods are worthless. :)

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lostconfused posted:

Not we, just one poster.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Domenico Losurdo on the danger Russia faces of being colonized:

quote:

The risk of a great war remains as a result of the efforts, on the part of the United States, to stop anti-colonial revolutions, and to construct a new colonial counter-revolution. The US stands opposed China, but we can also consider here the position of Russia. In my books I insist on a point which is perhaps neglected: the history of Russia in general — not just of Soviet Russia, but of Russia in general — is, on the one hand, the history of an imperial and expansionist power, but there is another aspect to this historical reality: Russia has been at risk of becoming a colony for a very long time. We all know about the invasions by Hitler, by Napoleon, by Charles XII, by the Mongols. For example, if we remit ourselves back to the beginning of the 17th century, it was the Polish who exercised power in Moscow. Immediately after World War I — after the defeat of Tsarist Russia — Russia was in danger of being balkanized, of becoming a colony. Here I quote Stalin, who said that the West saw Russia like they saw Central Africa, that they were trying to drag it into war for the sake of Western capitalism and imperialism. [2]

The end of the Cold War, with the West and the United States triumphant, once again put Russia at risk of becoming a colony. Massive privatization was not only a betrayal of the working classes of the Soviet Union and Russia, it was also a betrayal of the Russian nation itself. The West was trying to take over Russia’s massive energy deposits, and the US came very close to acquiring them. Here Yeltsin played the role of “great champion” for the Western colonization effort. Putin is not a communist, that much is clear, but he wants to stop this colonization, and seeks to reassert Russian power over its energy resources.

Therefore, in this context, we can speak of a struggle against a new colonial counter-revolution. We can speak of a struggle between the imperialist and colonialist powers — principally the United States — on the one side, and on the other we have China and the third world. Russia is an integral part of this greater third world, because it was in danger of becoming a colony of the West.

This is my philosophy of world history, so to speak. And I apologize for my English [laughs].

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

cenotaph posted:

Domenico Losurdo on the danger Russia faces of being colonized:

i thought this part was a very concise and accurate summary

quote:

Here Yeltsin played the role of “great champion” for the Western colonization effort. Putin is not a communist, that much is clear, but he wants to stop this colonization, and seeks to reassert Russian power over its energy resources.

Therefore, in this context, we can speak of a struggle against a new colonial counter-revolution. We can speak of a struggle between the imperialist and colonialist powers — principally the United States — on the one side, and on the other we have China and the third world. Russia is an integral part of this greater third world, because it was in danger of becoming a colony of the West.

bUt AmErIcA iS aNti-ImPeRiAlIsT

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Danann posted:

https://twitter.com/squatsons/status/1608154249980170241

on another note russian side of social media is counting 27 brigades from ukraine at bakhmut

Yeah, it is a good question exactly how much men and material the Ukrainians are actually sending to Bakhmut, it certainly isn't a minor amount but it is difficult to get a sense of the concentration of forces there compared to other fronts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ardennes posted:

Yeah, it is a good question exactly how much men and material the Ukrainians are actually sending to Bakhmut, it certainly isn't a minor amount but it is difficult to get a sense of the concentration of forces there compared to other fronts.

yeah and the number of brigades and battalions alone doesn’t necessarily tell us that much. if those are all under-strength without heavy gear, the AFU could easily be doing what it’s done before (shovel conscripts at the russians to buy time)