Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Anyone ever play XIII in the past or in the new version of it? I could be down for that sort of FPS. It seems Goldeneye-ish, and even has multiplayer!

It's a fun, competent Goldeneye-like. Play the original version, new one is decidedly ugly and is apparently a bit of a mess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

It's a fun, competent Goldeneye-like. Play the original version, new one is decidedly ugly and is apparently a bit of a mess

I don’t have that luxury. So I was thinking of getting this one on sale. But if it doesn’t work as seems to maybe be the case I may not.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I am absolutely obsessed with Monster Sanctuary .

It's like Pokemon without all the tedious bullshit and the build variety is INSANE.
The way skills play off eachother means you can get by fine with incidental procs of tailor make your team a walking nuclear explosion.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
If you like the variety of Monster Sanctuary, look into Siralim Ultimate, which just recently hit the Switch. It's much more a dungeon crawler with monster building, but there are a ton of mechanics (each one introduced slowly throughout the story) and monsters, plus monster fusion and equipment that let you have specific traits you can mix and match to break the game open. It also has an insane amount of content if you want a solid time sink.

As a bonus, it uses its own cross-save cloud so you can cross-save between PC and mobile versions (and also PS/Xbox whenever those versions come out).

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Mega64 posted:

If you like the variety of Monster Sanctuary, look into Siralim Ultimate, which just recently hit the Switch. It's much more a dungeon crawler with monster building, but there are a ton of mechanics (each one introduced slowly throughout the story) and monsters, plus monster fusion and equipment that let you have specific traits you can mix and match to break the game open. It also has an insane amount of content if you want a solid time sink.

As a bonus, it uses its own cross-save cloud so you can cross-save between PC and mobile versions (and also PS/Xbox whenever those versions come out).

:eyepop:
Siralim is a thing of beauty. This is how pokemon games should be made. Instead of scraping the old pokemon and starting over just add 400 new ones on top of the already ridiculously bloated roster.

Got to catch them all :colbert:

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Rutibex posted:

:eyepop:
Siralim is a thing of beauty. This is how pokemon games should be made. Instead of scraping the old pokemon and starting over just add 400 new ones on top of the already ridiculously bloated roster.

Got to catch them all :colbert:

tbf that is exactly how Pokemon worked until very recently

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

mycot posted:

tbf that is exactly how Pokemon worked until very recently

wasn't the last game you could catch every single pokemon was Gold/Silver? i thought you could only trade to get the pokemon from older games

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
You’ve never been able to catch everything on a single copy of the game (without glitches), but until Sword/Shield all of the pokemon were in the game and usable.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

just played detention. not sure if i ever saw it mentioned here, but that is the most fatalist game i've ever played. bar none.

great stuff.

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

Is there a Mario strikers thread? Game is fun, curious others thoughts and tips

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I don’t have that luxury. So I was thinking of getting this one on sale. But if it doesn’t work as seems to maybe be the case I may not.

Honestly, read this and decide whether its more ethical to play the remake or emulate the original

https://www.fanbyte.com/games/features/inside-playmagic-the-studio-behind-the-disastrous-xiii-remake/

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

Mean Baby posted:

Is there a Mario strikers thread? Game is fun, curious others thoughts and tips

There is not. My personal experience and most other people in the thread who got it found it pretty bad, and I say this as someone who played the original Super Mario Strikers today. I can still give advice since I played around 20 hours of it online before finally giving up on the game.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

is bloodstained still a nightmare to play performance-wise on switch?

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

abelwingnut posted:

I’ve played it twice on my Switch, both times after significant patches to improve performance. It’s not a perfect port but I enjoyed it enough to play twice.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

abelwingnut posted:

It runs better now, which just leaves you with the unfortunate experience of playing Bloodstained

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

It runs better now, which just leaves you with the unfortunate experience of playing Bloodstained

FU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
Advance wars not being released on the 25th is proof Santa isn't real.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
Sorry you all had to learn that way

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

rude

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

Pungry posted:

There is not. My personal experience and most other people in the thread who got it found it pretty bad, and I say this as someone who played the original Super Mario Strikers today. I can still give advice since I played around 20 hours of it online before finally giving up on the game.

I remember for some reason I expected it to be a cross between Splatoon and Rocket League and instead we got what we got and I bounced off it like a soccer ball off Scott Sterling's face.

At least there was a demo weekend so I could play a handful of matches before deciding I hated it.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Oscar Wild posted:

Advance wars not being released on the 25th is proof Santa isn't real.

Sorry Advance Wars has been cancelled until all war is over. Nintendo is very disappointed in us

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Rutibex posted:

Sorry Advance Wars has been cancelled until all war is over. Nintendo is very disappointed in us

We nailed a dude to a couple of wooden boards for this and it resulted in the first two advance wars games.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

EvilJoven posted:

I remember for some reason I expected it to be a cross between Splatoon and Rocket League and instead we got what we got and I bounced off it like a soccer ball off Scott Sterling's face.

At least there was a demo weekend so I could play a handful of matches before deciding I hated it.

i want a mario american football game

Super Mario Blitz or somethin... yea...

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
Thinking of maybe picking up Monster Hunter Rise while it's on sale for $20, never played one of them before.
Any must haves in this current sale?

e: It's so good being a Nintendo Switch owner and having your Steam replay thing say you only played 2 games.

Item Getter fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Dec 30, 2022

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

If you click with Mon Hun at all, $20 is a steal

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Item Getter posted:

The following good games are at the Lowest Price Ever

Darkest Dungeons
Golf Story
Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark
Ion Fury
Spelunky
Goat Simulator
Wilmot's Warehouse
Super Blood Hockey

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

"Super Blood Hockey"? So just, regular hockey then?

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

abelwingnut posted:

just played detention. not sure if i ever saw it mentioned here, but that is the most fatalist game i've ever played. bar none.

great stuff.

If you are hankering for more oppressive gameplay and fatalism, Red Candle Studios (who made Detention) have Devotion for sale on their website. Unfortunately, due to pissing off the Chinese government, it'll never come back to Steam or come to Switch, but God is it nerve wracking as gently caress.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Item Getter posted:

Thinking of maybe picking up Monster Hunter Rise while it's on sale for $20, never played one of them before.

You kinda answered your own question

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

I got Zombie Army Trikogy in the sale, I'm hooting and hollering every time it does the bullet cam. Last night I got one right in the jaw and it sent his hat flying vertically into space. Fantastic.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Honestly, read this and decide whether its more ethical to play the remake or emulate the original

https://www.fanbyte.com/games/features/inside-playmagic-the-studio-behind-the-disastrous-xiii-remake/

That’s rough. I had hankering for that type of FPS but if I wanna shoot something I’ll just replay RE4 or wait for goldeneye.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

abelwingnut posted:

Yep. Garbage port.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Item Getter posted:

e: It's so good being a Nintendo Switch owner and having your Steam replay thing say you only played 2 games.

lol, I just checked mine and same. (Three games). I did just pick up a Deck tho so maybe it'll be able to give the Switch some competition.

Also yes, get Rise.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Commander Keene posted:

"Super Blood Hockey"? So just, regular hockey then?

Game is actually really good and a super fun local multiplayer game

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
I picked up Tunic and I think it runs well enough on Switch. I don't like it though, and can confirm I wouldn't like any souls-like game.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Souls games are an acquired taste. But when they click, there isn't anything quite like it

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Souls games are an acquired taste. But when they click, there isn't anything quite like it

Yeah I didn't mean to imply "souls-like games are bad and you're dumb for enjoying them", just that they aren't for me. I never had a system that could play them, so never knew for sure how I personally would feel about them.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Game is actually really good and a super fun local multiplayer game
Thanks. I had my eye on this one, but it looked like it could be either really good, or total shovelware.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

The Merkinman posted:

Yeah I didn't mean to imply "souls-like games are bad and you're dumb for enjoying them", just that they aren't for me. I never had a system that could play them, so never knew for sure how I personally would feel about them.

Oh yeah sorry I didn't take it that way, I was just more making an idle, unsolicited comment. And here's another unsolicited comment...dark souls remastered is on switch. It's showing its age for sure, but if you can pick it up for cheap, maybe consider it for a rainy day. It took me several attempts to really start to get it, but once I did, I liked it a lot.

Or, don't worry about it and play games you like! The switch has too many great games as it is anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
To be fair, Tunic has incredibly bad feeling combat and enemies that are absurdly aggro. Deaths Door is a similar vibe but much better feel, although it doesn't have the same kind of puzzles. I think to be a good souls-like the combat really should feel pretty good.