Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spaced ninja
Apr 10, 2009

Toilet Rascal
I was just looking for that video. Houston is a loving nightmare if you don’t own a car. Downtown Houston and a few surrounding areas are a bit better with light rail downtown and some token bike lanes here and there but it’s only the rich neighborhoods. I’m less than a quarter mile from a Kroger and it’s a 2 hour round trip to walk because of the giant loving freeway in the way, also literally no sidewalks to/from there so you end up walking in tall grass or having Houston drivers actively try to get as close as possible to “scare” you while driving 110mph.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

It’s not so bad if you live in Montrose and don’t leave the neighborhood for any reason. As an added bonus you never have to experience the rest of Houston that way.

drunk mutt
Jul 5, 2011

I just think they're neat

Dick Fontaine posted:

It’s not so bad if you live in Montrose and don’t leave the neighborhood for any reason. As an added bonus you never have to experience the rest of Houston that way.

Really depends on which area in Montrose too. Not like it use to be if you haven't been back in a while.

For the curse, imagine this is a picture of words or something but Mary's is closed and the mural is gone but the building stands.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

drunk mutt posted:

Really depends on which area in Montrose too. Not like it use to be if you haven't been back in a while.

For the curse, imagine this is a picture of words or something but Mary's is closed and the mural is gone but the building stands.

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

Icon Of Sin posted:

I made a joke in the elon musk thread, and someone decided to use it as inspiration.

https://imgur.com/xQVHXXK.mp4

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

That's actually an improvement.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

A black mirror, made to reflect everything about itself that humanity will not confront :shuckyes:

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

Dick Fontaine posted:

A black mirror, made to reflect everything about itself that humanity will not confront :shuckyes:

The CorinthElon.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Sound on

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbmtxvF8Sz0&t=193s

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

I used to live in Springfield, Virginia (outside DC), and I had a roommate who lived with me and also worked in Springfield, but on the other side of town. He didn't have a car, so he had to bus it to work every day. To do so, he'd have to take a bus from near our place in Springfield, out to the Pentagon in Arlington (where there is a hub I guess), and then catch another bus back to Springfield. There was no bus that just took you across.

Eventually, he worked out a deal with this neighbor who worked at the Pentagon that he would give him a ride up there in the morning so he could use the HOV lanes. I don't think they had an afternoon deal though.

A weird system developed around this HOV-pickup thing in the DC suburbs where people gather in certain places, like an empty parking lot for a defunct store, and line up waiting for someone to pick them up to take HOV lanes to the Pentagon or into DC or whatever. It's called 'slugging' for some reason. It seems to have just naturally evolved on its own, which is pretty neat I think.

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
just steal a hyundai or kia or whatever with a USB stick or whatever the kids on the internet are doing these days then ditch it

Bone_Enterprise
Aug 9, 2005

Inception Cigars
www.inceptioncigars.com
RE: Houston Chat from someone just outside the Houston area.

gently caress Houston traffic.

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

Murdstone posted:

I used to live in Springfield, Virginia (outside DC), and I had a roommate who lived with me and also worked in Springfield, but on the other side of town. He didn't have a car, so he had to bus it to work every day. To do so, he'd have to take a bus from near our place in Springfield, out to the Pentagon in Arlington (where there is a hub I guess), and then catch another bus back to Springfield. There was no bus that just took you across.
Can't mention Springfield without this local highlight:

Post Processing
Mar 26, 2010

mobby_6kl posted:

Aw man look at all that freedom!

https://i.imgur.com/xB3UE3s.mp4

Liquid Chicken
Jan 25, 2005

GOOP

Rebel Blob posted:

Can't mention Springfield without this local highlight:

Ah, the good ole Mixing Bowl! How I hate thee and the old Woodrow Wilson Bridge when I lived in the area.

Now when I have to visit relatives in Georgia I have to go through Spaghetti Junction.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Framboise posted:

It's not that we don't want better public transport, it's that in most of the country it's just a loving pipe dream. The continental US is loving massive-- like, a lot of European countries, in their entirety, are smaller than even some of our smaller states. And even some of the bigger countries are about the size of a state and a half, maybe? I live in Indiana, and the entire UK is about as big as Indiana and Michigan combined lol

Americans think 100 years is a long time, and Europeans think 100 miles is a long distance.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
NEXT DAY BLINDS

Nashville has an interchange like that called the spaghetti bowl.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

This is amazing

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Just one more lane, bro. One more lane will solve it for sure this time.

https://i.imgur.com/Mz0KPgZ.mp4

Right now there's an ad exec that's thinking of how to use this in a Coca-Cola commercial.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
This might piss you off:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBCNJQe6_ZQ

But it does illustrate why the US is completely hosed and won't get better until there is a new constitution.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
What the hell is this nonsense other than someone’s weird foot fetish?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

Frank Frank posted:

What the hell is this nonsense? other than Someone’s weird foot fetish.?

You already know, see?

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Framboise posted:

I feel like non-Americans just don't understand how very much a lot of the nation is built for cars and is as unwalkable as it could possibly be, and I feel like it's 100% intentional to keep us reliant on cars and keep the automotive industry booming.

its easy to think things like this if you're prone to thinking that shadowy people just beyond the edges of your vision torment you for their sick amusement but the reality is that america has had cheap rear end cars for a hundred years so we have a hundred years of infrastructure based around cheap rear end cars

like in 1914 you could get a ford model t for less, inflation adjusted, than a cheap toyota goes for today. its not a big mystery why so much of america is developed around the assumption that you own a car

Waltzing Along posted:

This might piss you off:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBCNJQe6_ZQ

But it does illustrate why the US is completely hosed and won't get better until there is a new constitution.

the real curse about videos like this is when you realize there's a whole ecosystem of low grade content creators who seem like they have big insights to share but really they're just clued in to the fact that a lot of folks like consuming content that makes them sad and upset, because feeling sick and depressed all the time is addictive

its like true crime podcasts for people who dislike cars, except more likely to make you think that you're a forensic analyst because you've listened to every episode of Morbid

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Dec 30, 2022

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

bossy lady posted:

At my previous job my group was based in Houston and I lived in NYC. My boss and coworkers spent a great deal of time and effort trying to get me to move to Houston and one of their primary benefits was I wouldn't have to take the train or walk anymore. They couldn't fathom why I would want to live like that.

From my discussions with them they were deeply individualistic and hated the idea of sharing their space with anyone else. I was told multiple times that they would rather sit in Houston's garbage traffic than walk or take public transit just because they preferred to not be near anyone else.

"individualistic" is a polite term for "anti-social"

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Milo and POTUS posted:

"individualistic" is a polite term for "anti-social"
There was a nested comment on that video somewhere by a guy saying that fewer cars and closer neighbors sounded like the opposite of what he wanted life to be, and it is amazing how immediately that flags someone as either a doomsday prepper or a sociopath (same thing?)

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Murdstone posted:

A weird system developed around this HOV-pickup thing in the DC suburbs where people gather in certain places, like an empty parking lot for a defunct store, and line up waiting for someone to pick them up to take HOV lanes to the Pentagon or into DC or whatever. It's called 'slugging' for some reason. It seems to have just naturally evolved on its own, which is pretty neat I think.

Meanwhile here in Communist Germany we don't have HOV lanes on the Autobahn, but we do have official, government owned and maintained parking lots for ride sharing.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
nice that foot guy is open about his fetish but is still close minded because guys need to wear socks instead lmbo

A farting mink
Nov 6, 2022

by Pragmatica
https://twitter.com/FactoryMother/status/1608637324765827074?s=20&t=AbXBaJeWAN5wgxlB2CYcyg

https://twitter.com/RudeNobot/status/1608535382672527361?s=20&t=AbXBaJeWAN5wgxlB2CYcyg

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

mobby_6kl posted:

The suburbs as they exist aren't really conductive to any sort of public transport or walking

There's no direct path and everything else is a dead-end. So you can't just put one or two bus/train stop to cover the whole area.

E: from here, there are more examples: https://imgur.com/gallery/IKrJTvu

:stare: :stare: :stare:

The Conquest
Dec 10, 2022

But It's The Way He Stands There

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

OCCUPIED!! :mad:

The Conquest
Dec 10, 2022

But It's The Way He Stands There

Liquid Chicken
Jan 25, 2005

GOOP

The Squickening Fleshlight?

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

The internet must have broken my brain, my immediate reaction to this photo was "TOILET PARTY!"

and I'm not even sure that toilet party is a meme, could be sustained neurological damage.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

This is either an incredibly bad photoshop, or this image has the weirdest jpg compression I've ever seen.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020

Dick Burglar posted:

This is either an incredibly bad photoshop, or this image has the weirdest jpg compression I've ever seen.

or AI.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Oops I pissed on the living room floor again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Frank Frank posted:

Oops I pissed on the living room floor again