Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin
Also I cannot get a leg up on the other empires. I'm second to last. I cannot keep up. There are four other empires that are Overwhelming.

Does anyone have a link to a good build order or grand strategy? I don't want to have to pay as motherfucking DA or rogue servators or some poo poo. I just want to be my little human imperium based off of Dune.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Grandpa Palpatine posted:

Also I cannot get a leg up on the other empires. I'm second to last. I cannot keep up. There are four other empires that are Overwhelming.

Does anyone have a link to a good build order or grand strategy? I don't want to have to pay as motherfucking DA or rogue servators or some poo poo. I just want to be my little human imperium based off of Dune.

You don't need to change your Empire, that's for sure. I've been playing all kinds of meme builds since launch and you can always get at least reasonable results with almost any of them.

Are you expanding at all? Does your economy have any issues? Lack of resources/jobs/housing/etc?
It sounds like you have made some sort of core mistake but it's hard to pinpoint what. Some screenshots of your empire and your main planets would help for sure.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Some weird poo poo just happened in that Fallen Empire system (Holy Guardians). In one of their planetary systems, a void cloud showed up and the entire system got foggy as gently caress and lightning was all over the place and it looked like it was gonna destroy everything.

Was this a shroud event or something?
Sounds like VLUUUR to me, but not completely sure. It's a big cloud that floats around systems.

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

Wilekat posted:

Mostly skimmed the thread for a while so I've probably missed some good effortposts from you guys:

Is there any good materials on how to build fleets now? I was having a lot of success with a missile cruiser/torp cruiser mix right up until Fallen Empires swiftly corrected me of any idea I'd figured out a formula. I didn't really do any early-game warring, so i never got to cut my teeth with corvettes etc, either. I imagine disruptors are good early? When do i need to think about shield and armour hardeners? What is the best way to use them? I figure there's a lot of room for manoeuvring in rival build compositions, but I don't play multiplayer so I figure that's probably less important for me?

I'm really enjoying Stellaris as it is right now. The automation stuff works extremely well to the point I'm spending more time trying to figure out war and I'm discovering just how bad I am at it :v:

Same thing happened to me: missile fleets were doing great until an fallen empire woke up and squashed me. This time round I’m not falling in to that trap and speccing into guns and strike craft

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin
Ummm.... why the gently caress can I not put proton torpedos on my battleships anymore?

Are you meaning to tell me that we can ONLY put them on torpedo boats?

I might be done with this game if they did that.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

Ummm.... why the gently caress can I not put proton torpedos on my battleships anymore?

Are you meaning to tell me that we can ONLY put them on torpedo boats?

I might be done with this game if they did that.

All torpedos, energy and explosive, go in the 'G' slots. Biggest ship that can use torpedos are Cruisers (and they are very good at this). They want people to use mixed fleets instead of stacking Battleships.

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin
Then what the gently caress good are battleships for? Basically carriers and that's it? The other large weapons suck rear end. Lasers? You making GBS threads me?

The_Final_Stand
Nov 2, 2013

So cute and cuddly
Kinetic Artillery still exists, as do XL weapon slots.

Additionally, Proton Launchers got hit with the nerf stick pretty hard. They take a torpedo slot and were nerfed to match, they're now closer to a long range M slot weapon, and only if they're against Battleships with the 8* size modifier.

The purpose of this change was to shake up the meta and make builds other than mono-battleship viable again.

Senethro
May 18, 2005

I unironically think I'm Garret, Master Thief.
I was mono battleshipping in my last game because I didn't know any better. I saw they were getting spooked sometimes and trying to retreat to their preferred range, and that this was causing them to lose targets on their XL slot. Do they need picket cruisers or something to give them breathing room so they can stay firing?

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin
What is the new fleet meta then? Mix and match everything?

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin
The coolest part about this game was rolling into systems with a doomstack of battleships rocking neutron torpedoes and seeing those blue balls firing in unison and destroying everything in front of it

and they loving ruined it

BUT AT LEAST WE HAVE DIPLOMACY RIGHT :suicide:

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Alas, you can no longer throw 30 identical battleships at all of your problems.

You're going to have to mix up your fleets a bit. Torpedos and Strike craft can soften up something's armor while you use kinetic weapons to erode shields, then a battleship's tachyon lance can do its thing, it's like a mini titan-beam. You'll also need to actually bring in picket defenses because strike craft no longer intercept missiles & torpedos.

Horace Kinch fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Dec 30, 2022

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

What is the new fleet meta then? Mix and match everything?

Picket destroyers, torpedo cruisers, artillery/carrier battleships

Not sure if corvettes work with the above.

Technical Analysis
Nov 21, 2007

I got 99 problems but the British ain't one.
Corvettes are easily replaceable ablative armor. Give them autocannons and plasma throwers and they'll get into a knife fight with the enemy fleet. Smaller ships will engage with them, larger ships will back off, keeping any forward arc weapons off your big ahips.

matryx
Jul 22, 2005

I think I just had an evilgasm...

The coolest part about this game was rolling into systems with a doomstack of battleships rocking neutron torpedoes and seeing those blue balls firing in unison and destroying everything in front of it

Completely disagree here - it made fleet combat the most boring part of the game *and* as a direct derivative of that, it made your tech choices also fundamentally boring as most people would beeline for both Neutron Launchers and Battleships.

There isn't really a 'meta' anymore since that depends on what your opponents will field - have a good look at the stats of the various weapons because there's a pretty solid balance now and no silver bullet or objectively best build to trump everyone.

Here's a freebie though - bypass weapons are good now - ship disengagement has massively changed, so trickle damage doesn't just make ships always escape and survive. You don't need that big old alpha strike to make a difference.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM
Did Disruptors actually become worth using?

EDIT: I guess that got answered in the few seconds it took me to make this post :v:

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Are there any mods that let you drag fleets up and down the outliner? My fleet list looks like this

1st Serious Business
2nd Serious Business
Gimmick patrol
Bubbles
3rd Serious Business
Salvage patrol
4th Serious Business

and I hate it

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin

matryx posted:

Here's a freebie though - bypass weapons are good now - ship disengagement has massively changed, so trickle damage doesn't just make ships always escape and survive. You don't need that big old alpha strike to make a difference.

Yea, it's too bad the game interprets it as a weak rear end fleet though, which guts your diplomatic weight in the Galactic Community...

Best Friends posted:

Are there any mods that let you drag fleets up and down the outliner? My fleet list looks like this

1st Serious Business
2nd Serious Business
Gimmick patrol
Bubbles
3rd Serious Business
Salvage patrol
4th Serious Business

and I hate it

loving this.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Shadowlyger posted:

Did Disruptors actually become worth using?

EDIT: I guess that got answered in the few seconds it took me to make this post :v:

Disruptors are good if you lean into them and pair them with Cloud Lightning & Arc Emitters, exclusively.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

That was, in fact, fairly boring.

Sorry your OP strat doesn't work anymore I guess. I would like the other 95% of the fleet weaponry to also be useful.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
This discussion is kind of funny to me, since I never used anything besides heavily mixed fleets, I did not notice any change at all. Despite of course me being now able to cram missile launchers into everything that has S-slots :v:

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Shield/Armor hardening works how exactly? If I stack three +25% shield hardening things on my battleship, does that mean it has a shield hardening of 75%? And that means that shield piercing weapons now only have 25% of their attack pierce the shield, while the rest gets absorbed like any regular weapon?

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

You're....very much acting like your chosen picture. He wanted Star Destroyers for EVERYTHING, EVERYWHERE,

I'm not saying it as a good or bad thing, just 'a thing that is'.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
It'd be real nice if swapping up your fleet composition wasn't an absolute ball pain. Oh you have 21 corvettes in that fleet and you want 21? prepare for 20 minutes of awkward fiddling to get that extra corvette into a different fleet.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Bloodly posted:

You're....very much acting like your chosen picture. He wanted Star Destroyers for EVERYTHING, EVERYWHERE,

I'm not saying it as a good or bad thing, just 'a thing that is'.

Star destroyers are closer to cruisers than battleships, though.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Torrannor posted:

Shield/Armor hardening works how exactly? If I stack three +25% shield hardening things on my battleship, does that mean it has a shield hardening of 75%? And that means that shield piercing weapons now only have 25% of their attack pierce the shield, while the rest gets absorbed like any regular weapon?

I have no idea if the bonuses are additive or multiplicative, but yes shield hardening absorbs a portion of the damage that would otherwise go to armor.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Splicer posted:

It'd be real nice if swapping up your fleet composition wasn't an absolute ball pain. Oh you have 21 corvettes in that fleet and you want 21? prepare for 20 minutes of awkward fiddling to get that extra corvette into a different fleet.

20 minutes of fiddling to find that extra corvette only to realize there is no extra corvette? :v:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Uuuuuurgh... Starbases.
Why no I would absolutely hate to have any control over what weapons they slot. There is nothing wrong with having only shield countering guns in a -100% shield system. I love a single disruptor. Nothing better than slapping lots of very short range autocannons on an immobile object. Having to avoid researching whirlwind missiles is also great. I'm certainly no expert but the torpedo module seems utterly worthless, unless enemy battleships and titans suddenly decide to try and ram your starbase into the nearby star. Not that I was even offered torpedoes until the 2340s.

I picked up the Federations and Necroid dlcs (so now I can combine pleasure seekers with reanimators for eternal space parties) but the very first game as void dwellers it spawned me right next to an AI who had a federation origin and after that experience I had to grab an outdated mod to disable that from ever happening again. :sigh:

Oh, well. Tine to restart.

Poil fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Dec 30, 2022

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
I remember back when it was actually possible to design your own starbases. I can't say I miss it most of the time, but I do wish the game was smarter about the auto design of starbases in systems that nullify shields and such.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Honestly if it was always just 50% lasers and 50% kinetics it would be so much better. Sure it's not optimal but it would be an improvement.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Libluini posted:

This discussion is kind of funny to me, since I never used anything besides heavily mixed fleets, I did not notice any change at all. Despite of course me being now able to cram missile launchers into everything that has S-slots :v:

Yeah, depending on your position in the game some of this stuff might not matter - a human player with a solid economy could win with a mixed fleet against the AI. I think it's a nice change now to have a good reason to build a mixed fleet other than vague RP reasons, too.

Angrymantium
Jul 19, 2007
Resistant to everything
To people that did well with missiles until being slapped down by FEs: same thing happened to me, the only way I've been able to take out FE fleets is an overwhelming number of x slotted artillery battleships with a picket destroyer screen. My torpedo cruisers with afterburners always got killed before they could deliver their payloads and the FE Corvette equivalent seems good at taking out missile fire, so big artillery with the picket screen has been the only way for me eke out a win. Torpedo cruisers with mixed fleets designs work on just about everything else though, up to and including crisis stuff.

Also if you're fine with becoming the crisis and taking at least two crisis levels, menacing destroyers get torpedoes and a point defense slot, so enough of those will blow up smaller stuff and move on to the enemy's big guns with torpedo fire.

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

The true fleet meta is to set up some mercenaries and let them worry about what ships to build.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Maximum Tomfoolery posted:

The true fleet meta is to set up some mercenaries and let them worry about what ships to build.

Robots aren't allowed to be mercenaries. :smith:

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice
Are corvettes/frigates total trash? In the old meta I’d keep a fleet or 2 of 200 torpedo armed corvettes that performed ok and were regenerated quickly.

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames
This game has some of the most shallow war and combat for a 4X, so it's quite surprising to see people complaining when Paradox adds a little bit of depth.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

isndl posted:

20 minutes of fiddling to find that extra corvette only to realize there is no extra corvette? :v:
Yes but on the other hand shut up

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Charles 1998 posted:

This game has some of the most shallow war and combat for a 4X, so it's quite surprising to see people complaining when Paradox adds a little bit of depth.

goons arent good at video games

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

isndl posted:

Robots aren't allowed to be mercenaries. :smith:

That was the first thing I modded in (and then modded out Piracy because they also don’t work with Robots).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin
Can someone give me the skinny on what the deal is with mercenary fleets? Why are they good? Zero upkeep? Are they autonomous? Are they for people who don't want to micro?