Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
https://twitter.com/mattdonders/status/1608493480137101315

If they keep playing how they're playing, they'll break out of this, and most likely break out of it in a big way. The issue is if it gets into their heads and they start trying to play a different way, but we haven't seen that and I don't expect to see that, given the success they've had with their style of play.

Being out Bastian/Palat/Marino/Graves is lovely though, not team killing, but lovely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
https://twitter.com/NYP_Brooksie/status/1608504346521792514

Jesus christ Turk. I know he hasn’t been great lately but this is getting ridiculous.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

Matt Zerella posted:

https://twitter.com/NYP_Brooksie/status/1608504346521792514

Jesus christ Turk. I know he hasn’t been great lately but this is getting ridiculous.

Karma for the league rigging the lottery after the Rangers made the play-in round of the bubble playoffs :colbert:

Between Laf being healthy scratched and Byfield still being in the AHL, picking third in 2020 has been a blessing

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Pretty sure Gallant has now shifted into trying to get fired, he lasted exactly 2-plus-a-partial seasons with each of his other three employers and now he feels like changing it up.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
K’Andre has looked good but man is the Rangers track record of developing young talent ever a trainwreck

Scratched for Sammy Blais, who has 0 goals lol

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

The Dirty Burger posted:

K’Andre has looked good but man is the Rangers track record of developing young talent ever a trainwreck

Scratched for Sammy Blais, who has 0 goals lol

Turk got his French Canadians mixed up.

It's legitimately wild how they see what Kakko did against the islanders and go "nope, Laf is getting scratched". It's one thing to demote him to the 4th line to light a fire under his rear end but this is just stupid.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

T-Bone posted:

https://twitter.com/mattdonders/status/1608493480137101315

If they keep playing how they're playing, they'll break out of this, and most likely break out of it in a big way. The issue is if it gets into their heads and they start trying to play a different way, but we haven't seen that and I don't expect to see that, given the success they've had with their style of play.

Being out Bastian/Palat/Marino/Graves is lovely though, not team killing, but lovely.

https://twitter.com/CJTDevil/status/1608498797931565058

This has been miserable to watch.....

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
I dunno why most coaches hate advanced stats, they are the ultimate defense for when your team is losing.

Yeah we’re on a 7-game skid but the xG is looking nice and the deserve-to-win-o-meter says we should have won 6 of those last 7

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

How are these measured? Didn't the Devils outshoot Carolina 2-1 and generally have the upperhand in that game? Surprised to see them under 50% there.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Honestly starting to not trust xgoals that much because it doesn't say that McDavid is insanely better than every other player in the league

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

fawning deference posted:

How are these measured? Didn't the Devils outshoot Carolina 2-1 and generally have the upperhand in that game? Surprised to see them under 50% there.

Pretty sure this model includes all game states and also a bunch of micro stats and adjusts for the actual shooter not just the shot. There's a lot of players that outperform their xGoals cause they're simply more talented at shooting than an average player and a lot of models don't account for that.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
The Devils don't have bad shooters though outside of like Haula. They're actually all mostly average - above average (or even good in some cases). It's just a run of really bad unsustainable shooting luck mixed with poor goaltending.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Also, if the Rangers don't want Laferniere, trade him somewhere fun like the EDMONTON OILERS.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

T-Bone posted:

The Devils don't have bad shooters though outside of like Haula. They're actually all mostly average - above average (or even good in some cases). It's just a run of really bad unsustainable shooting luck mixed with poor goaltending.

Yup. Haula has been decent enough in his role but it'll be good to get Palat back, who probably slots in there with Hughes instead, and Haula can be an extra forward for the third line imo. He is a really bad shooter

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

But I mean, this fuckin rules

https://twitter.com/CJTDevil/status/1608273203851595777?s=20&t=5mOnAmL4duon6yyW5sMn_A

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Also, if the Rangers don't want Laferniere, trade him somewhere fun like the EDMONTON OILERS.

For McDavid? Sure.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

T-Bone posted:

I'm not saying that the Devils do, I'm simply explaining why that model might differ from what you find on naturalstattrick. I also think most public xGoals models are currently broken.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
The Bruins played well in the second but their first goal was just off a bad turnover and the second was some Marchand/Bergeron fuckery on a bad line change. To my dumb-dumb eye test they looked pretty even.

It's not so bad to lose to a team as good as the Bruins. Problem is their next games are against the Pens and Carolina, so that strength of schedule keeps hurting them. They may not pick things up until their west coast road trip.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Chad Sexington posted:

The Bruins played well in the second but their first goal was just off a bad turnover and the second was some Marchand/Bergeron fuckery on a bad line change. To my dumb-dumb eye test they looked pretty even.

It's not so bad to lose to a team as good as the Bruins. Problem is their next games are against the Pens and Carolina, so that strength of schedule keeps hurting them. They may not pick things up until their west coast road trip.

The Pens have played awful hockey since the Christmas break. If they play tomorrow like they did against the Islanders and Wings the Devils will probably no joke put up like 60 shots on goal.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

Matt Zerella posted:

For McDavid? Sure.

McDavid would be a 40-point player who kills penalties if he got drafted by the Rangers

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

fawning deference posted:

Yup. Haula has been decent enough in his role but it'll be good to get Palat back, who probably slots in there with Hughes instead, and Haula can be an extra forward for the third line imo. He is a really bad shooter

Haula and Zetterlund need to be on the 3rd line or scratched. They just aren't productive offensive players and the Devils can't afford that with how they don't score at all.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/PensInsideScoop/status/1608533618833428484?s=20&t=Ci0DV_a4eraGBE3V3XGW0Q

Very not ready to watch Dumoulin-Rutta play like 30 minutes tomorrow night

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
The Rangers have a wealth of talent and it feels like the coach is the problem, masked only by the previous coach having been much worse. The top guys barely need coaching and he continually fails to set up the young forwards for success. I've heard the issue with other teams was that Gallant saw himself as a better talent evaluator than he is, and he managed to get some guys he previously coached on the Rangers (Reaves, Carpenter) and then did things like putting a 1st overall pick on a line with them. The GM took away those toys, though they still have Blais because the GM still holds on to hope that the Buchnevich-for-Blais trade might some day look less atrocious. Buchnevich has 42 goals and 103 points in 99 as a Blue. Blais has 0 goals in 44 games as a Ranger.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

mcmagic posted:

Haula and Zetterlund need to be on the 3rd line or scratched. They just aren't productive offensive players and the Devils can't afford that with how they don't score at all.

Ehhh they're valuable for their forechecking, the Devils just need Palat and Bastian back, and probably another scoring winger who can play with some kind of pace (unfortunately Holtz ain't it, at least this year).

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Ginette Reno posted:

Honestly starting to not trust xgoals that much because it doesn't say that McDavid is insanely better than every other player in the league

Offensively he sure is but as someone who is victimized by him repeatedly each year, a lot of that is offset by the fact he continues to play no defence. If he was Russian or Czech commentators would never stop talking about it. He's improved slightly from earlier in his career, but no guy floats and blows the D zone harder than him and the Oilers get burned by it a lot. Don't get me wrong he still heavily tilts the ice in Edmonton"s favour because he's just so much further ahead offensively than anyone else but there's a reason some of those stats that attempt to paint a picture of a complete game are less gaudy than his point totals.

With all that said, John Scott saying he wouldn't be in his top five picks for playoff players is hilarious. The guy had 33pts in 16 games last year and it wouldn't have been crazy to say he was runner up for the Conn Smythe despite the fact his team was swept in the conference finals.

He doesn't have to change a thing about how he plays, but I can see why his xG and stuff is only pretty good.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

ThinkTank posted:

With all that said, John Scott saying he wouldn't be in his top five picks for playoff players is hilarious. The guy had 33pts in 16 games last year and it wouldn't have been crazy to say he was runner up for the Conn Smythe despite the fact his team was swept in the conference finals.

His reasoning for taking Kucherov instead of McDavid was that he was picking players with a more complete game. And, like, it's hard to disagree with his picks (all 4 guys he chose are elite), but just his reasoning is weird.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Twin Cinema posted:

His reasoning for taking Kucherov instead of McDavid was that he was picking players with a more complete game. And, like, it's hard to disagree with his picks (all 4 guys he chose are elite), but just his reasoning is weird.

McDavid should be the top of all hockey best of lists except for "interview ability." Anyone who says he is anything other than the most talented player in the post lockout world is just being a contrarian idiot like the 80s fedora guy who claimed Sergei Shepelev was better than Gretzky.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-0rHnnS7U8

ThinkTank fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Dec 29, 2022

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Kucherov has even easier zone starts than McDavid and worse possession metrics

if you are building a team and not picking McDavid first, you have failed

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

ThinkTank posted:

McDavid should be the top of all hockey best of lists except for "interview ability." Anyone who says he is anything other than the most talented player in the post lockout world is just being a contrarian idiot like the 80s fedora guy who claimed Sergei Shepelev was better than Gretzky.

Thank you for providing this clip. I have been trying to re-find it for years every so often.

I guess to clarify what I was saying, the players John Scott picked are still elite, so there's no issues with the players picked. Just that they came before McDavid. Basically, he picked elite players from the last few Cup winners.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I donno, Chuck Fletcher would tell you that building a team is pretty hard and not that simple.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

I'd pick :scott: before McDavid. I mean, he's objectively worse, but it would get cliiiiiiiiicks.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Ginette Reno posted:

The Pens have played awful hockey since the Christmas break. If they play tomorrow like they did against the Islanders and Wings the Devils will probably no joke put up like 60 shots on goal.

Respectfully, I've learned not to take the midseason dooming of PAS very seriously.

Devils are 2-7-1 in their last 10. Pens are 6-2-2.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

ThinkTank posted:

lol, it's so pointlessly contrarian it's like watching modern ESPN.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

John Scott is the exception to the rule that even enforcers are world class hockey players.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

The Dirty Burger posted:

McDavid would be a 40-point player who kills penalties if he got drafted by the Rangers

hell, we might have that chance with Bedard

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Chad Sexington posted:

Respectfully, I've learned not to take the midseason dooming of PAS very seriously.

Devils are 2-7-1 in their last 10. Pens are 6-2-2.

Sure, I'm just commenting on how they're playing lately. They're on a bad stretch again.

I think they're probably a playoff team unless they get tanked by injuries, but I wouldn't be shocked to see them miss just because the Metro is that good.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

They are going to need to rename the Selke to the Bergeron. Nothing will be renamed to the McDavid. :colbert:

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

I just realized that, had Chicago won the lottery last year, Columbus would be holding the #1 and #2 picks as of now pending lottery shenanigans.

That's going to be the next entry in the ongoing curse of how Columbus misses out on generational talent, isn't it? :shepicide:

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

If your producing a media list of players and not producing outrage, you have failed (in your producers eyes)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

The City of Buffalo is lifting the driving ban at midnight tonight, so the Sabres/Red Wings game is most likely on for tomorrow night.

Preemptive Congratulations to Detroit on their win against a team that hadn’t played a game in ten days and hadn’t practiced in a week.

Heh, I'll be damned.