Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

cenotaph posted:

I remember being obsessed with the transformers movie when I was like four. Rented it every opportunity I got. Then when I was ~17 I got it on DVD, put it on, and fell asleep ten minutes in. I have not watched it since.

I've watched all the various clips of it across the years since the last time I watched it in a single full sitting and I still think it's fun as poo poo. No idea what I'd think of it if I actually sat down and watched it in full again, but I don't imagine I'd ever give a poo poo enough about it to try. The last Transformers things I watched in full was Revenge of the Fallen after it came out on DVD and was like "Yeah, I think I'm done really giving a poo poo about Transformers anymore, this is just exhausting."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Robotech >>> Transformers anyway.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

nine-gear crow posted:

I've watched all the various clips of it across the years since the last time I watched it in a single full sitting and I still think it's fun as poo poo. No idea what I'd think of it if I actually sat down and watched it in full again, but I don't imagine I'd ever give a poo poo enough about it to try. The last Transformers things I watched in full was Revenge of the Fallen after it came out on DVD and was like "Yeah, I think I'm done really giving a poo poo about Transformers anymore, this is just exhausting."
Oh you mean when Optimus Prime impales a pleading Megatron with his sword

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

FlamingLiberal posted:

Oh you mean when Optimus Prime impales a pleading Megatron with his sword
I've only seen the first three Bayformers films (and never saw any of the cartoons), but the way the supposedly noble and heroic Optimus Prime would execute defeated and helpless enemies as they knelt before him and begged for their lives was, uh, unsettling.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Peter Cullen: so... so where it says "give me your face," does Optimus, like, gently pinch his opponent's cheek, or

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Hollismason posted:

Transformers The Movie was loving traumatizing as a child.

I'm pretty sure I saw it once as a kid and blocked out the memory.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Payndz posted:

I've only seen the first three Bayformers films (and never saw any of the cartoons), but the way the supposedly noble and heroic Optimus Prime would execute defeated and helpless enemies as they knelt before him and begged for their lives was, uh, unsettling.

The end of Dark of the Moon is amazing how it literally goes from Optimus slicing Megatron in two so badly that Megs spews red blood all over the place, to shooting Sentinel Prime point blank in the back of the head execution style as he begs for his life on his knees all in the span of like two minutes, to Optimus basically going "My ardent wish is a world without war" over the opening bars of whatever popular whine rock song closes out that particular TF movie.

I can't begin to imagine how hosed up the rest of the movie is if THAT is it's climax.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

nine-gear crow posted:

Also Optimus Prime dying in Transformers: The Movie led to the plot of GI Joe: The Movie being rewritten because they were going to kill off Duke in GI Joe's movie, but Hasbro saw how Optimus's death hosed up a whole generation of kids and all the outrage it caused at the time so they were like "Uh, yeah we can't do this to the Optimus Prime of GI Joe too, it'd kill us. Put him in a coma instead."

I was too young to have watched the 80s series/movie at initial release, but it was hilarious seeing an interview with one of the guys who worked on the movie who basically said "lol if they thought the movie as-is was traumatizing, imagine if we'd kept in the scene where we gunned down all the other first-gen toys! Their whole toy collection wiped out!"

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I was too young to have watched the 80s series/movie at initial release, but it was hilarious seeing an interview with one of the guys who worked on the movie who basically said "lol if they thought the movie as-is was traumatizing, imagine if we'd kept in the scene where we gunned down all the other first-gen toys! Their whole toy collection wiped out!"

Pretty sure that is still in there. They gun down Prowl, Ironhide, and a few others just unceremoniously as the Deceptions start their attack on the city. Everyone was sad for Prime but holyshit they just took out my top favorites in 5 seconds without any thought.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Burning_Monk posted:

Pretty sure that is still in there. They gun down Prowl, Ironhide, and a few others just unceremoniously as the Deceptions start their attack on the city. Everyone was sad for Prime but holyshit they just took out my top favorites in 5 seconds without any thought.

The shot that hit me more than anything was when the new crew who are the film's protagonists are trying to defend Autobot City the camera just kind of casually passes over Wheeljack's mangled corpse on the ground and then moves on. Wheeljack doesn't even appear in the movie alive at any point. He's just there to reinforce the "Oh god, they're really doing this"-ness of it all.

Also they killed off Starscream apparently not out of any significant narrative choice, but because everyone on the TF production crew was just sick and tired of Chris Latta showing up to work either drunk, hung over, or having to bail him out of jail on DUI charges like once a month, so that was basically their way of firing him because they weren't allowed to dispose of Starscream under normal circumstances.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Dec 29, 2022

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe
As usual, Hbomb has you covered:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7f26gVlDQI

I'd actually forgotten about the Autobot massacre until I watched this. That was traumatizing even compared to Optimus; "flames shooting out of eye sockets" traumatizing. It's so weird considering this is the movie where "The Touch" by Stan Bush is the main hit single.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005

nine-gear crow posted:

Also they killed off Starscream apparently not out of any significant narrative choice, but because everyone on the TF production crew was just sick and tired of Chris Latta showing up to work either drunk, hung over, or having to bail him out of jail on DUI charges like once a month, so that was basically their way of firing him because they weren't allowed to dispose of Starscream under normal circumstances.

That's hilarious lol

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Tbf Starscream would have been bumped off way sooner if Megatron wasn’t such a sap for him. His own team literally had a button just to put him in kitty jail

https://youtu.be/3cjPjs_4LXA

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

There was a very weird "purity" to how Hasbro dealt with Transformers initially. They made the toys first and then the story for the toys came after. The size of the characters in the show came directly from the size of the toys. Bumblebee would up so prominent because the showrunners reasoned that since he was a little tiny car, he would be a small enough guy to interact with humans easily.

And as part of that, they just didn't think that they could reissue old figures, so they thought that if they wanted to bring out the next wave of toys, they needed to "clear the field" to make room for more.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

nine-gear crow posted:

This seems apocryphal, considering that Latta continued voicing Cobra Commander for several more years, and that was for the same production company.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

skasion posted:

Tbf Starscream would have been bumped off way sooner if Megatron wasn’t such a sap for him. His own team literally had a button just to put him in kitty jail

https://youtu.be/3cjPjs_4LXA

The comments mention that Starscream screams because he was supposed to be animated getting a shock from the cage, but I think it works fine as is, as a toddler scream of hysterical frustration

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Burning_Monk posted:

I think it was supposed to be a different scene; it was described as a "charge of the light brigade" where they charged a machine gun nest, and at the end the only survivors were new toys. The guy being interviewed basically said that in the original plan, pretty much every first-gen toy got killed over the course of the movie. But then I was never big into Transformers, so maybe you're right and that really did wind up happening. But he got such a hilarious twisted glee out of the notion of "man if kids were crying about how many of their toys got killed, imagine how devastated they'd be if they saw their whole collection get wiped out!"

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

nine-gear crow posted:

The end of Dark of the Moon is amazing how it literally goes from Optimus slicing Megatron in two so badly that Megs spews red blood all over the place, to shooting Sentinel Prime point blank in the back of the head execution style as he begs for his life on his knees all in the span of like two minutes, to Optimus basically going "My ardent wish is a world without war" over the opening bars of whatever popular whine rock song closes out that particular TF movie.

I can't begin to imagine how hosed up the rest of the movie is if THAT is it's climax.
IIRC, that's right after Megatron saves Optimus from being killed by Sentinel, then offers a truce.

So Optimus naturally rips off his skull with an axe.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I think it was supposed to be a different scene; it was described as a "charge of the light brigade" where they charged a machine gun nest, and at the end the only survivors were new toys. The guy being interviewed basically said that in the original plan, pretty much every first-gen toy got killed over the course of the movie. But then I was never big into Transformers, so maybe you're right and that really did wind up happening. But he got such a hilarious twisted glee out of the notion of "man if kids were crying about how many of their toys got killed, imagine how devastated they'd be if they saw their whole collection get wiped out!"

If Transformers: The Movie was made today as-is, the Twitter and YouTube meltdowns over it would be nothing short of phenomenal. Like probably up to and including people committing actual acts of self-harm on camera because all their toys died and it made them, people in their 30s, 40s, and 50s, viscerally upset.

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.

nine-gear crow posted:

He did some Star Trek later on. He’s the captain of the Klingon ship that Riker served on and the captain of the Pakled ship in Samaritan Snare.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nine-gear crow posted:

If Transformers: The Movie was made today as-is, the Twitter and YouTube meltdowns over it would be nothing short of phenomenal. Like probably up to and including people committing actual acts of self-harm on camera because all their toys died and it made them, people in their 30s, 40s, and 50s, viscerally upset.

the ending of the first modern Transformers movie is still a work of art

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glMsrAOctdU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

CLAM DOWN posted:

Also I wasn't kidding about Transformers 3's ending being a rapid fire whiplash from Optimus vivisecting Megatron, to executing Sentinel Prime, to giving a thoughtful voiceover on the nature of war right to DIRECTED BY MICHAEL BAY in the span of 3 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnVCpFRRm-Y&t=394s

Jesus Christ.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Hollismason posted:

Just got to the Risa episode of DS9 where Worf turns into a terrorist. At least I think this is the episode.

Here is my favorite Worf moment:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vf6rWH1H7iQ

DS9 Worf is so much better than TNG Worf and also STOP TALKIING ABOUT TRANFORMERS GOOD LORD

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

holy poo poo lol it's somehow worse than i imagined

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

DS9 Worf is so much better than TNG Worf and also STOP TALKIING ABOUT TRANFORMERS GOOD LORD

NO

Watch Beast Wars, one of its two producers was a story editor for Babylon 5 and they had a two-parter written by DC Fontana. unlike the '80s Transformers cartoon, beast wars is actually good in its own right and was responsible for reviving the brand's popularity in the 90s

Also it is connected to the original in a really clever way that puts all this modern nostalgia bait stuff to shame. There is a 4K upscale on YouTube that looks fantastic. The animation in its first season is kind of rudimentary considering it's 90s CGI, but each season shows a substantial improvement and you can see them trying stuff like depth of field and split focus shots, complex particle effects and so on.

The sequel series Beast Machines is not nearly as good despite trying harder to tell a mature story with themes and poo poo.

E: oh also Beast Wars has sexual innuendo and electric guitar solos and characters quoting Shakespeare, the mental breakfast of champions for a growing mind

Tighclops fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Dec 29, 2022

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Hey somebody hacked Jonathan Frakes on Twitter and is trying to scam his fans, if anybody is on there and following him find this and report him ) the hacker locked the account so you can't share the tweet.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Hey somebody hacked Jonathan Frakes on Twitter and is trying to scam his fans, if anybody is on there and following him find this and report him ) the hacker locked the account so you can't share the tweet.

Dammit Riker...did you get conned by a Risan woman again?

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

CLAM DOWN posted:

them porking on top of bumblebee in that is the icing on the cake

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Riker google search log: "how to recover lcars account"

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

The hacker selling autographed trombones rather than Apple computers would've increased the realism of such a scam.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I sit down behind my $600 autographed MacBook and experience orgasmic pleasure as I tap the command key

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Dr. Gargunza posted:

As usual, Hbomb has you covered:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7f26gVlDQI

I'd actually forgotten about the Autobot massacre until I watched this. That was traumatizing even compared to Optimus; "flames shooting out of eye sockets" traumatizing. It's so weird considering this is the movie where "The Touch" by Stan Bush is the main hit single.

Maybe Bush's single was the main hit, but it fails to match the awesomeness of: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrMbkbTPrPA&ab_channel=Neutralis

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005

Tighclops posted:

NO

Watch Beast Wars, one of its two producers was a story editor for Babylon 5 and they had a two-parter written by DC Fontana. unlike the '80s Transformers cartoon, beast wars is actually good in its own right and was responsible for reviving the brand's popularity in the 90s

Also it is connected to the original in a really clever way that puts all this modern nostalgia bait stuff to shame. There is a 4K upscale on YouTube that looks fantastic. The animation in its first season is kind of rudimentary considering it's 90s CGI, but each season shows a substantial improvement and you can see them trying stuff like depth of field and split focus shots, complex particle effects and so on.

The sequel series Beast Machines is not nearly as good despite trying harder to tell a mature story with themes and poo poo.

E: oh also Beast Wars has sexual innuendo and electric guitar solos and characters quoting Shakespeare, the mental breakfast of champions for a growing mind

So much this.

Also...https://tfwiki.net/mediawiki/images2/9/9e/StarTrekVsTransformersCover.jpg

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Tighclops posted:

NO

It was a product of Mainframe Entertainment, later Rainmaker Studios, then Mainframe once again, and now I believe defunct? e: no, it's still around so I guess ReBoot: The Guardian Code somehow didn't kill it. Anyway, they also did Reboot and Shadow Raiders, two similarly "way too mature for young minds, but welcome nonetheless" Canadian CGI cartoon epics. In addition to an episode by Fontana, Reboot also had some bangers written by Dan DiDio and Marv Wolfman of DC Comics fame. Reboot was so good it was literally pulled off for ABC for continually violating prissy update 90s era American television broadcast standards and practices.

But yeah, Beast Wars starts at a 10, and just keeps going.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Prodigy is to Star Trek what Beast Wars was to Transformers, just needs more ripping guitar solos and maybe some kinda evil wasp that eats poo poo every episode

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Delsaber posted:

Prodigy is to Star Trek what Beast Wars was to Transformers, just needs more ripping guitar solos and maybe some kinda evil wasp that eats poo poo every episode

Also The Diviner needs to say "Yeeeeees" extremely sexually at least 3 times an episode and take repeated bubble baths and they've more or less nailed it.

Otherwise Prodigy is hovering at being Star Trek's Clone Wars right about now.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
https://twitter.com/storyslug/status/1605259052656857093

Could have dug it up during S2 of Picard and then put it back.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

People like to poo poo on that two parter but that was a serious wtf moment when it first aired. I still get a kick out of it.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

nine-gear crow posted:

It was a product of Mainframe Entertainment, later Rainmaker Studios, then Mainframe once again, and now I believe defunct? e: no, it's still around so I guess ReBoot: The Guardian Code somehow didn't kill it. Anyway, they also did Reboot and Shadow Raiders, two similarly "way too mature for young minds, but welcome nonetheless" Canadian CGI cartoon epics. In addition to an episode by Fontana, Reboot also had some bangers written by Dan DiDio and Marv Wolfman of DC Comics fame. Reboot was so good it was literally pulled off for ABC for continually violating prissy update 90s era American television broadcast standards and practices.

But yeah, Beast Wars starts at a 10, and just keeps going.

You can tell when Reboot got out from underfoot the American censors because the French censors in Canada don't give a gently caress. Hexadecimal reappears in season 3 looking like some kind of demented dominatrix

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Tighclops posted:

You can tell when Reboot got out from underfoot the American censors because the French censors in Canada don't give a gently caress. Hexadecimal reappears in season 3 looking like some kind of demented dominatrix

You can depict all manner of sex, horror, trauma and violence on Canadian children's television, but if you put the word "war" in your show title WE WILL loving KILL YOU :toughguy: