Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Granted, part of me just wants to see a Bradley in conventional combat, the reputation of Pentagon Wars hangs in the balance.

Also, throw some sunbaked Abrams tanks into the mud too. I want to be entertained.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
I want to see a warthog crash into an osprey

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

https://carnegieendowment.org/politika/87914

quote:

The war has also put an end to the oligarchs being able to use their own media as one of their main tools of influence. The moratorium on the country’s political life, together with the information monopoly put in place by presidential decree at the start of the war (TV channels can only show “unified news” that meet guidelines drawn up by the president’s office) have turned the oligarchs’ media resources—loss-making even before the war—into a complete waste of money for their owners.

Some of the oligarchs, including Akhmetov and the Kyiv developer Vadim Stolar, have already sold their media assets, and Pinchuk appears to be preparing to follow suit. Without a constant cashflow from business tycoons, the Ukrainian media market, especially TV, looks set to shrink fast.

Man I forgot about all the crazy poo poo that happened in this war. Not the censorship, but the oligarch assassination.

quote:

Right now, the only person on the Forbes list of the ten richest Ukrainians who can feel relatively confident is former president Petro Poroshenko.He doesn’t have any major assets in the southeast of the country, and his national-patriotic ideology is on point at a time of war. Yet all the new means of exerting pressure on the former president, from restrictions on travel abroad to closing down the armies of pro-Poroshenko propaganda-spreading bots, are a constant reminder that the arsenal Zelensky has at his disposal in the fight against his main rival is only growing.
:eyepop:

quote:

The Russian invasion has pushed the Ukrainian state to the brink of survival, but on the domestic political front, it has enabled Zelensky to solve most of his old problems. The main one—his standoff with the oligarchs—resolved itself on its own: the tycoons are now focused on salvaging the remnants of their capital rather than trying to bring down the president.

quote:

The deoligarchization of Ukraine looks set to be an irreversible process. Regardless of how the war ends, the conditions are simply not in place for the formation of a new class of the superrich: the Ukrainian economy has been too badly damaged by the war for any new oligarchs to emerge, while the ambitions of those who once had it all have been severely curtailed. 

New fortunes could, of course, be made upon the country’s postwar reconstruction, but that would be more likely to produce business magnates with close ties to the powers that be, like in Russia, rather than political players in their own right. We will also likely see the mass expansion of Western business onto the Ukrainian market, since the main sponsors of the country’s reconstruction will be Europe and the United States.
Good bye Ukrainian oligarchs! Helloooooooooo BlackRock!

Lostconfused has issued a correction as of 00:50 on Dec 30, 2022

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Ardennes posted:

Granted, part of me just wants to see a Bradley in conventional combat,

Gulf War already happened, but that was quite a while ago.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

PhilippAchtel posted:

In my experience, to the extent that most people part attention to politics at all, they just repeat what they see on television.

thats not true sometimes they repeat things they read on the internet

Cromulent_Chill
Apr 6, 2009

Lostconfused posted:

Man I forgot about all the crazy poo poo that happened in this war. Not the censorship, but the oligarch assassination.

There is no incentive for the US to push for an end to the war. The more destruction of Ukraine the better as far as that's concerned for Blackrock.

Also thanks for correcting my poorly recollected ukrainian a while ago, it gave me the urge to learn it in depth on duolingo and I have been doing so. Your posts from ukrainian and russian sources help also so thanks for that too.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Lostconfused posted:

It is just going to be the US government either handing out their own money/looting Russian accounts to do mostly gently caress all. Honestly, oligarchs are pulling out because they know there isn’t going to be much of a country left one way or another.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Weka posted:

My newest hot take for NZ's defence activities is that they are actually a defence against the USA getting salty and imposing tariffs or doing a soft coup.

Look up “Defence Against Help”.

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

it looks so dumb

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

paul_soccer12 posted:

I want to see a warthog crash into an osprey

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coyIpZE3lOM

Weka has issued a correction as of 01:14 on Dec 30, 2022

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Frosted Flake posted:

Look up “Defence Against Help”.

Now that you mention it, it's probably your posts on it that stuck in my subconscious until bubbling up into my crudely formed hot take.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Cromulent_Chill posted:

There is no incentive for the US to push for an end to the war. The more destruction of Ukraine the better as far as that's concerned for Blackrock.

*mlmp08ishly* why do you just assume the US would just do whatever blackrock wanted, the whitehouse senior advisor to ukraine on economic issues is actually only the FORMER director of blackrock.

https://twitter.com/TheErrantFriend/status/1608166965235060736?s=20

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I don’t think it’s fair to assume that just Becuase American capital is involved there is necessarily massive crimes being committee

Cromulent_Chill
Apr 6, 2009

Chairperson of the Crimes Being Committee has the floor.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Some Guy TT posted:

thats not true sometimes they repeat things they read on the internet

That's what I do.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Committed. Sorry hahah

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Tyvm

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Megamissen posted:

it looks so dumb

Yeah, I don’t know how it is going to fare in an something that isn’t a police action, where the enemy has the ability to sustainably fight back. As apart of a conventional conflict, it is going to face a lot of threats design to easily aimed at taking it out.

They could use them as battle taxis but it seems pretty inefficient.

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

The twitter thread missed this gem from the article

quote:

More recently, we generously helped three prisoners at Guantánamo Bay kill themselves. “The manipulative detainees,” wrote Michelle Malkin soon afterward, “reportedly used the generous civil liberties protections we gave them to plot their suicide pact.”

How dare they!!!

I didn't think I could be surprised any more by the moral depths American political commentators could sink to but what do you know

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

crepeface posted:

*mlmp08ishly* why do you just assume the US would just do whatever blackrock wanted, the whitehouse senior advisor to ukraine on economic issues is actually only the FORMER director of blackrock.

i forget was there a time period under trump when libs acted like blackrock was bad or did it just not come up because trump didnt hire anyone from blackrock

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

anyway these last few pages have been really bad can someone post the tiktok from the gassed thread where lukashenko drives up next to a train that has putin, chika and a gnome in it and then guy and a cat fly by in a bathtub again

e: it had this song playing in the background https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lqvYoY7j8E

Megamissen has issued a correction as of 01:29 on Dec 30, 2022

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Lostconfused posted:

lol at the lede

quote:

It’s true that Ukraine’s oligarchs corrupted the Ukrainian state and undermined effective reform and development, preventing it from escaping from its post-Soviet stagnation. But they were also a key protective mechanism against anyone else usurping power.

Seatbelts
Mar 29, 2010

Megamissen posted:

it looks so dumb

That may be because it was suppose to look like this

But every branch wanted their wunderwaffe toys so instead its an APC, IFV, Medevac, Tank hunter, Gun carrier, etc etc

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

the closers pretty great too

quote:

Ukraine didn’t just have two successful revolutions in 2004 and 2014 because of civil resistance. They also resulted from the considerable media and financial support given to the opposition by big business (no matter that that support was motived by self-interest). Now the war has enabled President Zelensky to concentrate an enormous amount of power in his hands, and it will be tempting for him to hold onto that power, even when peace is restored. When that time comes, there will no longer be a trade union of oligarchs ready to help civil society prevent such a turn of events.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Ardennes posted:

Yeah, I don’t know how it is going to fare in an something that isn’t a police action, where the enemy has the ability to sustainably fight back. As apart of a conventional conflict, it is going to face a lot of threats design to easily aimed at taking it out.

Gonna shock Ardennes if he ever learns about Desert Storm.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Cromulent_Chill posted:

Also thanks for correcting my poorly recollected ukrainian a while ago, it gave me the urge to learn it in depth on duolingo and I have been doing so. Your posts from ukrainian and russian sources help also so thanks for that too.

Yeah I've been catching up on a lot this year, and honestly wish this mess didn't happen and I could have kept ignoring it.

Ardennes posted:

It is just going to be the US government either handing out their own money/looting Russian accounts to do mostly gently caress all. Honestly, oligarchs are pulling out because they know there isn’t going to be much of a country left one way or another.

There's just too many different interest groups in Ukraine right now imo. They all have their own idea of where they're going and are just looking out for themselves. I kinda get why someone might want to call it anarchy now.

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010
trade union of oligarchs

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

mlmp08 posted:

I don’t think so. That question is long settled: Yes, it’s imperialist.

update: Birds are great, love to see ‘em

what makes it imperialist

Weka
May 5, 2019

Seatbelts posted:

That may be because it was suppose to look like this

But every branch wanted their wunderwaffe toys so instead its an APC, IFV, Medevac, Tank hunter, Gun carrier, etc etc

Are the headlights mounted on an ERA block?

Weka
May 5, 2019

crepeface posted:

I looked the claim that Blackrock is the majority shareholder of all defense companies up and it seems to be untrue.

"BlackRock has tens of billions invested in the top military contractors in the United States. It is a top beneficial owner of Lockheed Martin (6.4%), Boeing (5.2%), General Dynamics (3.94%), Northrop Grumman (5.5%), and Raytheon (6.6%)."
https://www.corporateaccountability.org/blog/blackrock-for-2022-corporate-hall-of-shame/

supersnowman
Oct 3, 2012

Weka posted:

On that subject, does anyone have any information on whether Ukraine has been messing with Crimea's water canal?

If Russia still holds the river bank all the way to the nuclear power plant, I'm pretty sure they also have the canal under their control. Ukraine might have shelled it but at worse they would have to clear whatever was blocking it and it would flow. Looking at google map, I think the canal starts just beside Nova Kakhovka.

Seatbelts
Mar 29, 2010

Weka posted:

Are the headlights mounted on an ERA block?

Of course it is; gotta sell headlight modules

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

https://twitter.com/KyivIndependent/status/1608598226063740928

quote:

The law dramatically expands the media regulator's powers and gives it the authority to shut down news sites that are not officially registered as media without a court ruling.

"It proposes to give arbitrary and disproportionate regulatory powers to the national regulator, the National Council on Broadcasting, which would have authority not only over audiovisual media, but also over print and digital media,"

According to Ukraine's Institute of Mass Information, under the law, the media regulator is likely to be controlled by the incumbent authorities because its members are appointed by Zelensky and the Ukrainian parliament, where his party has an absolute majority. 

Lostconfused has issued a correction as of 01:54 on Dec 30, 2022

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

supersnowman posted:

If Russia still holds the river bank all the way to the nuclear power plant, I'm pretty sure they also have the canal under their control. Ukraine might have shelled it but at worse they would have to clear whatever was blocking it and it would flow. Looking at google map, I think the canal starts just beside Nova Kakhovka.

Also, the Dnieper itself is simply too large to fully block, there are dams obviously on it but they have a finite reserve capacity.

Lostconfused posted:

Yeah I've been catching up on a lot this year, and honestly wish this mess didn't happen and I could have kept ignoring it.

There's just too many different interest groups in Ukraine right now imo. They all have their own idea of where they're going and are just looking out for themselves. I kinda get why someone might want to call it anarchy now.

They are also fighting for pieces of shrinking pie, with only money one way or another coming in from the West as Ukraine's actual economy is a wreck. Basically, one way or another someone in Washington is going to be signing their checks.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 01:57 on Dec 30, 2022

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

trade union of oligarchs

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Weka posted:

I looked the claim that Blackrock is the majority shareholder of all defense companies up and it seems to be untrue.

"BlackRock has tens of billions invested in the top military contractors in the United States. It is a top beneficial owner of Lockheed Martin (6.4%), Boeing (5.2%), General Dynamics (3.94%), Northrop Grumman (5.5%), and Raytheon (6.6%)."
https://www.corporateaccountability.org/blog/blackrock-for-2022-corporate-hall-of-shame/

thanks for the correction mlmp08!

edit: counterpoint, the claim was majority stakeholder. completely different.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

I’m honestly of the opinion that calling this war Imperialist or not is almost totally worthless.

Any sufficiently large, multi-ethnic and centrally governed country relies on projecting imperium both within and outside of its borders in order to legitimise itself. Being able to militarily punish Ukraine for attacking people in the Donbass that Moscow considers under their imperium (even though they’re outside its borders) is a projection of that imperial power.

Likewise, the United States projects it’s Imperial umbrella over nations through NATO membership and the IMF in order to expand their own access to new markets, both for the liberalisation and thus pillaging of previously independent state assets, and for the selling of arms and other products US companies sell.

Arguing over which of these is the actual true “imperialism” is pointless.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Endman posted:

Arguing over which of these is the actual true “imperialism” is pointless.

this is an Internet forum, nothing anyone says here matters

it’s just funny to see mlp get heated over this level of needling

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

AnimeIsTrash posted:

this is an Internet forum, nothing anyone says here matters

it’s just funny to see mlp get heated over this level of needling

for someone who hates being wrong he sure picks the dumbest hills to die on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Danann posted:

https://twitter.com/squatsons/status/1608154249980170241

on another note russian side of social media is counting 27 brigades from ukraine at bakhmut

Ryber posted on Telegram on Dec. 27 that the AFU had lost 1,000 men over the last ten days around Bakhmut and that the Ukrainians moved the 113th, 127th, and 226th Territorial Defense Brigades from the Kharkiv front to reinforce the defense of Bakhmut.

Then the 3rd National Guard Brigade from Zolochiv. He says the 60th and 63rd Bridges are also being redeployed from Kherson.

https://twitter.com/Suriyakmaps/status/1608528309519794179?s=20

The Suriyak twitter account says the Russians continue to advance on Bakhmut from the south and have closed to within firing range of the south district.