Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

You said dis place was fun, but it ain't!
My red belly loves suet and, when that's out, it'll eat the peanuts I put out for the jays (but I'm glad he loves them too!)

...bird feeding can get out of hand when you try to max the species you'll see..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

The Red Queen posted:

My red belly loves suet and, when that's out, it'll eat the peanuts I put out for the jays (but I'm glad he loves them too!)

...bird feeding can get out of hand when you try to max the species you'll see..

I had to dial back what I put out for the birds and wildlife due to a grouchy neighbor and a mild neighborhood rat problem, but that came with the upside of forming a closer bond with the pair of crows who hang out on my block. Now I still get Audobon peanuts, but only give them to the crows. The crows have figured out how to ask if they want peanuts, and will land on the tree outside my front window and peer inside if they think it's peanut time. I try to find the best peanuts in the bag and toss them to the crows one at a time. They're really good about taking the peanuts down to the sidewalk to eat them so I don't shells all over my yard. One clearly likes peanuts more than the other, and will hustle over to snipe peanuts I throw to its partner. They also don't just keeping asking indefinitely - they have a few peanuts and then they're done, and stop asking. It's incredibly cute. :kimchi:

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

You said dis place was fun, but it ain't!

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I had to dial back what I put out for the birds and wildlife due to a grouchy neighbor and a mild neighborhood rat problem, but that came with the upside of forming a closer bond with the pair of crows who hang out on my block. Now I still get Audobon peanuts, but only give them to the crows. The crows have figured out how to ask if they want peanuts, and will land on the tree outside my front window and peer inside if they think it's peanut time. I try to find the best peanuts in the bag and toss them to the crows one at a time. They're really good about taking the peanuts down to the sidewalk to eat them so I don't shells all over my yard. One clearly likes peanuts more than the other, and will hustle over to snipe peanuts I throw to its partner. They also don't just keeping asking indefinitely - they have a few peanuts and then they're done, and stop asking. It's incredibly cute. :kimchi:

Aww! Shells off or on on the peanuts? The ones I put out have the shells on, and the blue jays take them away to eat or cache them, so I feel like there's a neighbor wondering why their yard is full of peanut shells.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

I hung out four suet cages on my trees.

One has disappeared completely.

The one had a squirrel hanging off of it. So I moved two of the cages into a hawthorn.

Little fuckers got up there & sprung the cover.

Goddamned tree rats.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

The Red Queen posted:

Aww! Shells off or on on the peanuts? The ones I put out have the shells on, and the blue jays take them away to eat or cache them, so I feel like there's a neighbor wondering why their yard is full of peanut shells.

Shells on. The jays have gotten pretty good at sniping peanuts from the crows here and there, and the squirrels have actually started stepping up on the crows (which is just goofy to watch).

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Stoca Zola posted:

Christmas beetle! This is a darkling beetle, not the gold scarab christmas beetles like are seen further north.

Shame I couldn't get my camera to focus on the beetle so you get detailed cat/beard hair and dirt instead. We had thunderstorms today and that is the signal for the new beetles to come to the surface. While I was digging my pond, I carefully relocated all the larva I found to a safer spot and it looks like at least one survived. I think this one is Chalcopteroides, the grubs could also have been from what we have always called verandah beetles but are supposedly pie-dish beetles - another kind of darkling beetle but this time flattened.

Nice beetles! An interesting thing about darkling beetles is that species to species they can be wildly different in general body shape and size. Some tropical ones look like longhorn beetles, and there are some species that have been accidently described as ground beetles. A couple of things they have in common is that if you cound the foot segments they are always 5-5-4 (first leg, mid-leg, hind leg), but they have this in common with some closely related families. An other characteristic is the smell. Most darkling beetles have a very distinct chemical smell. Like plastic, or burning electronics.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

any thoughts on a 2023 thread title?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

PainterofCrap posted:

I hung out four suet cages on my trees.

One has disappeared completely.

The one had a squirrel hanging off of it. So I moved two of the cages into a hawthorn.

Little fuckers got up there & sprung the cover.

Goddamned tree rats.

https://www.amazon.com/Squirrel-Bus...c7-93deae8f9840

i bought this this year. squirrels were going through an entire suet block every day. not a single squirrel has had any success against this thing though. it's a hundred bucks but that will pay for itself after a couple years, sort of

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

my cat is norris posted:

For a while the Oregoons thread was subtitled : A Safe Space (for spiders)

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
What's the definition of a Critter? Does it count when the Critter is the same height as I am?

Just look at this handsome and elegant lad.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I swear people have posted elephants and whales in previous critterquests so go hogemu wild

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

A critter is any animal you see that is not in captivity (humans are enslaved by capital).

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
Critterquest 2023: Another characteristic is the smell.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

my cat is norris posted:

What is a critter? A miserable little pile of [insert noun here]

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

hmm hmm keep 'em coming!

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Tree Bucket posted:

What's the definition of a Critter? Does it count when the Critter is the same height as I am?

Just look at this handsome and elegant lad.

this absolutely counts, what a great big handsome guy!

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

my cat is norris posted:

this absolutely counts, what a great big handsome guy!

Yeah, he was wandering around with half a dozen of his kids. Caring emu dads are the best thing.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

my husband met one just the other day while visiting manitou springs in colorado

the owner was taking him out for a walk

the emu is named dennis

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
is that a custom emu harness

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Tree Bucket posted:

is that a custom emu harness

What, you buy yours off the rack?

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

I wonder what kind of money is behind the statement "I have a pet emu"

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

an emu isn't very expensive to keep and doesn't really need much space. 1000sq ft per pair? a full acre can support eight to ten.

the feed is probably the biggest expense and even that's not too expensive if you just have one or two birds

I'm more impressed that Dennis is so chill about strangers

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Inspector Hound posted:

I wonder what kind of money is behind the statement "I have a pet emu"

you fell for the pyramid scheme

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
Uncritical support for emus and their cousins in their brave war against Australians, jair bolsonaro, and Afrikaaners

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

here is a handsome crow eating something outside of the local bundt cakery

goodbye friend

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
turkey turkey turkey turkey

they're loving HUGE. by far the biggest wild turkeys I've ever seen. they're over 3 feet tall and probably weigh at least a few dozen pounds, they're FAT bastards.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

Captain Invictus posted:

they're loving HUGE. by far the biggest wild turkeys I've ever seen. they're over 3 feet tall and probably weigh at least a few dozen pounds, they're FAT bastards.

Awesome! They’re actually probably a bit lighter than they look (and definitely lighter than butterballs). I caught 50 or so males when I was doing field studies and I don’t think even my biggest fatsos were more than 23/24lbs. This was a different population though and maybe the easterns get a bit bigger ?(but almost certainly less than 30lbs).

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yeah it wouldn't surprise me if that's mostly feathery fluff rather than body, but still, they really do look like dinosaurs out there. Not very responsive to gobbling, bunch of funless jerks

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Captain Invictus posted:

Yeah it wouldn't surprise me if that's mostly feathery fluff rather than body, but still, they really do look like dinosaurs out there. Not very responsive to gobbling, bunch of funless jerks

Sounds like you need to work on your accent

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Here's practice, courtesy of the Collingswood Turkey Gang:

https://i.imgur.com/Qo3654x.mp4

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

PainterofCrap posted:

Here's practice, courtesy of the Collingswood Turkey Gang:

https://i.imgur.com/Qo3654x.mp4
That dinosaur is adorable

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Captain Invictus posted:

Not very responsive to gobbling, bunch of funless jerks

In spring when the toms are all fired up you prob actually could get a reaction out of ‘‘em if you make the same kinda noises that curious one up close was.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

critterquest 2023: yep, that's a turkey

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

my cat is norris posted:

critterquest 2023: yep, that's a turkey

Done.

mystes
May 31, 2006

vortmax posted:

That dinosaur is adorable
Every birb is an adorable dinosaur

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Captain Invictus posted:

Forgot what thread this was and I was briefly very concerned that someone tried to ship a flock of wild turkeys.

I don't have any surviving photos sadly, but a similar flock of modern velociraptors lived in the area of my parent's home. Except that flock also included two peacocks. Best we can tell, a local wannabe rich guy tried to keep them as outdoor pets and they wanted the Born Free life instead.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

We got what looks to be a horned owl nesting in our warehouse at my work
There was another owl and god were they big

Hard to get a pic because of the light

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Heres a better picture i got behind a forklift to cover the light and now you can see the eyes

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

bless

Hihohe posted:

Heres a better picture i got behind a forklift to cover the light and now you can see the eyes

look at themmm!! they look so silly laying down like that but also so comfy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

Hihohe posted:

That’s awesome! I’m already looking forward to seeing the babies. GH owls can start nesting really early in a lot of places so could be pretty soon!

I hope your warehouse doesn’t have rat poison stations outside.