Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
They didn't have to put Laverne behind the tree.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Wondering how many complex crpgs like Pillars of Eternity or Encased or stuff got LPs. Is there a master list somewhere? I love seeing people abuse the emchanics in ways I never could have though of.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

MonsieurChoc posted:

Wondering how many complex crpgs like Pillars of Eternity or Encased or stuff got LPs. Is there a master list somewhere? I love seeing people abuse the emchanics in ways I never could have though of.

Might be more of post for the recommend me an LP thread, but if you can settle for JRPGs Orange Fluffy Sheep has some nice ones that center around breaking things into a million pieces.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

MonsieurChoc posted:

If you type in "rpg" in the game genre of the master list, it gives you a... List of RPG games.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

habituallyred posted:

Might be more of post for the recommend me an LP thread, but if you can settle for JRPGs Orange Fluffy Sheep has some nice ones that center around breaking things into a million pieces.

Rappaport posted:

If you type in "rpg" in the game genre of the master list, it gives you a... List of RPG games.

Thanks! And oops sorry.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

MonsieurChoc posted:

I'm enjoying watching this personable Russian break pillars of eternity over his knee on triple crown difficulty

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Thank gooness we all get along so well!

habituallyred posted:

They still need to come back and finish Pokemon Reborn! Although maybe it'd be best for everyone if they didn't...

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

This could use an update.

I didn't have a save before Chirstmas so I tried to force the cutscene with third-party tools and ended up with this mess the first try.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

habituallyred posted:

There's also Elephantgun's LP of FF6, which focuses on how much of a coding mess that classic beloved game actually was.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Combat Lobster posted:

This could use an update.

I didn't have a save before Chirstmas so I tried to force the cutscene with third-party tools and ended up with this mess the first try.

Why is there a one wing angel alpaca

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

Leal posted:

Why is there a one wing angel alpaca

Short answer: It's the Golden Alpaca redesign for 1.25
Long answer would require I get into the YIIK novel-thing you got for buying the 1.25 soundtrack, and I haven't read it in a few months; but I'm pretty sure it involves a version of Alex watching a movie with Vella. Said movie was directed by some Japanese auteur who will be featured in the new I.V. update.

Combat Lobster fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Dec 26, 2022

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Why, god why, is that game receiving content updates

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
Some people love eating a polished turd.

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

Danaru posted:

Why, god why, is that game receiving content updates

Believe it or not, this game gained a cult following recently. From what I've read from the community, there's a lot emphasis on 'cult'.

I've heard that the updates are fans encouraging the brothers to continue supporting the game; and I've also heard that this new update is a bunch of ideas they had for a sequel. Which the idea of a YIIK 2: A Even More Postmodern RPG confuses me, because if I understand the intented story right, which I hardly do, there wouldn't be room for such a thing.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Combat Lobster posted:

Believe it or not, this game gained a cult following recently. From what I've read from the community, there's a lot emphasis on 'cult'.

I've heard that the updates are fans encouraging the brothers to continue supporting the game; and I've also heard that this new update is a bunch of ideas they had for a sequel. Which the idea of a YIIK 2: A Even More Postmodern RPG confuses me, because if I understand the intented story right, which I hardly do, there wouldn't be room for such a thing.

Also the Allanson Brothers have this strange habit of attempting to fix their awful, broken, and incomplete games years after the fact to varying degrees of success. See: Two Brothers/Chromophore, and "attempting to".

Has the Third Ending to YiiK been found yet, as a matter of trivia? Or is it still vaporware and/or fanfiction?

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

nine-gear crow posted:

Has the Third Ending to YiiK been found yet, as a matter of trivia? Or is it still vaporware and/or fanfiction?

Yes and no, the details as to why is a messy can of worms that I am dreading to tackle for the IV LP.

To put it simply, the ending scene itself was found real early on; and everyone just 'misinterpreted' it as something else. Turns out, that "cut ending" I recorded was the third ending. As to WHAT a normal-rear end player is suppose to do to get to that scene within the game's rules, uhhh I have no idea. This is what makes the conversation about the third ending loving messy. The HOW to get there. As those following Grandmaparty's thread remember, ACKK was trying to lead players to it with clues and poo poo. Though a number of them either don't go anywhere like the Dick Masterson NPC or are too obtuse for anyone to truly figure out, like the Dick Masterson NPC.

I've spent the better half of April this year trying to pin down whether or not a path to the third ending is even there within the different builds of the game. (Yes I have pretty much every build of the game. Thank god for Steam Depots.) So far, version 1.25 has the triggers to get to the final dungeon, a repurposed cut tutorial, and the triggers to get to the final fight; BUT beyond forcing them with third-party tools, I have no idea how you get to that point. Decompiling the code doesn't help too much as my programming literacy isn't good enough to weave through it, but I've seen some bits and pieces of it. Fun fact, that Dick Masterson npc is very unique in that its nametag and dialogue are encrypted with a cipher. I only found that out after finding a function containing the decrypted and encrypted alphabets and started loving with them thus breaking the NPC completely.

You might be wondering about the third ending video that got uploaded to youtube. Well... that's another novel-size post in itself. Basically the community sees it as part of third ending, dubbed by the community as "The Frankton ending"; but you can only access that ending in the 1.25 build which was made public long after the video dropped on youtube.

There's a gently caress ton more to this whole thing, but I'll leave it for when I have compile it into a video for the LP, but for the most part I have trouble buying that this was intended from the start. Too many little things point to that ending scene being the original ending and the brothers were pivoting to say that was the third ending just to make it look like they weren't incompetent. (well it's really Andrew saying all this, I don't think Brain is to blame really)

Combat Lobster fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Jan 1, 2023

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.

Everything about this game honestly sounds like a fascinating trainwreck on almost every conceivable level.

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

Make no mistake, the brothers are trying their darnest to salvage this game to at least be less painful to play. It's just a really weird narrative the devs and their fans "friends" want to push to prop the game up I guess.

Combat Lobster fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Dec 27, 2022

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
The fine art of picking up the broken pieces of a previously spinning plate that already fell and hit the floor and trying to somehow make the plate spin again.

MetaMeme
Apr 30, 2017

You may boorishly refer to it as "Pickpocketing", but I prefer "Urban Foraging".
taking homage from the traditional Japanese art of Kintsugi except instead of gold they use crazy glue that immediately crumbles apart

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
I just started a FFXIII apologist run. At the end of the first episode, we had an unplanned "book club" discussion on Chapter 1 of the game.

I had an idea for thread participation but my partner think its a bad idea. Would it be a good idea to ask people to post their thoughts on the plot/character/etc and we will respond to it at the end of the video like a bookclub discussion?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Honestly, if you're doing an apologist LP of FFXIII, people are going to chime in anyway; IIRC the rather overwhelming consensus is that the game's story and writing is dogshit.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Dec 30, 2022

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Sounds neat. You may get a lot of dissenting opinions but if you don't mind that, I'd say go for it. Pretty sure you'll have some FF13 fans that will contribute as well, which may help.

Never a bad thing to get a different take on a game.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

anilEhilated posted:

Honestly, if you're doing an apologist LP of FFXIII, people are going to chime in anyway; IIRC the rather overwhelming consensus is that the game's story and writing is dogshit.

You're assuming people post at all lol.

Mega64 posted:

Sounds neat. You may get a lot of dissenting opinions but if you don't mind that, I'd say go for it. Pretty sure you'll have some FF13 fans that will contribute as well, which may help.

Never a bad thing to get a different take on a game.

I think it would be fun. My partner worries it will make us look silly if no one responds. I don't mind dissenting opinions. I'm not a fangirl.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Covok posted:

You're assuming people post at all lol.

I think it would be fun. My partner worries it will make us look silly if no one responds. I don't mind dissenting opinions. I'm not a fangirl.

If nobody responds then they're not going to see you looking silly are they.

(this thread might well rule)

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
I tend to respond with giant paragraphs whenever there are opinions floating around. My opinions tend to be different from most of the ones I hear from other people, so I feel obligated to provide them and support them with reasonable arguments, which you might imagine is difficult when, as I say, the opinions I'm defending are so far from the majority opinion already and most people like to stick to what they already believe. I find that, when people really think about things from my point of view, they find that I've got the better take on the subject, but humans are notorious for trusting the status quo over anything new, however reasonable it may be. It also helps that I often agree with the majority in many important respects while still seeing a lot of room for nuanced disagreement, like enjoying aspects of something that's universally considered garbage, or hating some aspect of a beloved thing so fundamentally that it ruins the entire thing for me. The more I see contrary points of view, the more compelled I feel to provide an extended explanation and defense of my opinion, even before anyone steps in to disagree directly. I have to assume that most people just skip the whole thing, but I also often get some thoughtful responses, and that makes it all worth it.

And that's without even bringing up FFXIII directly. I played the game, read all of the encyclopedia of background information, and have many opinions as a result. As long as I know the thread's there, there will be at least some discussion.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Are you playing only the first game or all 3 FFXIII games?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Mraagvpeine posted:

Are you playing only the first game or all 3 FFXIII games?

Right now, just the first one. I own all three for steam. I have actually played all three but never beat Lightning Returns. I am considering it but we haven't comitted. Apparently XIII-2 for steam is scuffed as hell so that could be a problem. XIII-2 is my favorite of the three games. I also don't know if Lady Mapi would be down to do all three either. So that is a factor as well. I do LPs to hang out with friends so if they don't want to then I'd need to find another friend or I wouldn't be excited for it. I haven't discussed it with them yet as I feel, since we just recorded and posted only one episode, they'd probably feel I'm thinking too far ahead.

Nidoking posted:

I tend to respond with giant paragraphs whenever there are opinions floating around. My opinions tend to be different from most of the ones I hear from other people, so I feel obligated to provide them and support them with reasonable arguments, which you might imagine is difficult when, as I say, the opinions I'm defending are so far from the majority opinion already and most people like to stick to what they already believe. I find that, when people really think about things from my point of view, they find that I've got the better take on the subject, but humans are notorious for trusting the status quo over anything new, however reasonable it may be. It also helps that I often agree with the majority in many important respects while still seeing a lot of room for nuanced disagreement, like enjoying aspects of something that's universally considered garbage, or hating some aspect of a beloved thing so fundamentally that it ruins the entire thing for me. The more I see contrary points of view, the more compelled I feel to provide an extended explanation and defense of my opinion, even before anyone steps in to disagree directly. I have to assume that most people just skip the whole thing, but I also often get some thoughtful responses, and that makes it all worth it.

And that's without even bringing up FFXIII directly. I played the game, read all of the encyclopedia of background information, and have many opinions as a result. As long as I know the thread's there, there will be at least some discussion.

Well, that was a lot of words. The thread is here then, for reference: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4020609

I kid, of course. I would welcome the discussion.

Covok fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Dec 30, 2022

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Saw a minor archive issue for Bobbin Threadbare's GalCiv 2 LP. His third opening post was edited out after the LP was ended, but it had some info about the sub-committees mentioned in the LP. It was a parliamentary style game so different SA posters were posing as legislators representing them. That post can be found on the Internet Archive, though.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

I'm preparing my next LP (one that I will have a lot done ahead of time, for once, since there's no thread participation this time!), but I'm trying to streamline the investigation process this time around to cut down on text (and because frankly I think going 'ok next we click on thiiiiis and then next we click on thaaaaat ok now we're going to click on this ooooother thing' gets dull to read after a while :v:), so I wanted to get some feedback on an early chapter- how does the flow on this read?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Mix. posted:

I'm preparing my next LP (one that I will have a lot done ahead of time, for once, since there's no thread participation this time!), but I'm trying to streamline the investigation process this time around to cut down on text (and because frankly I think going 'ok next we click on thiiiiis and then next we click on thaaaaat ok now we're going to click on this ooooother thing' gets dull to read after a while :v:), so I wanted to get some feedback on an early chapter- how does the flow on this read?

I think two things I'd change is that I'd scale down the "dialogue avatars" slightly, maybe 80x80 or something. And if a character has two lines of dialogue immediately after each other, and the avatar change isn't very spectacular and important, I'd just fold them into one line even if the game keeps them as two.

But that's minor preference stuff.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

PurpleXVI posted:

And if a character has two lines of dialogue immediately after each other, and the avatar change isn't very spectacular and important, I'd just fold them into one line even if the game keeps them as two.

One way to do this is just have a fully transparant image that's one pixel high and as wide as your 'avatar' pics, and put this in front of every line they say after the first one. That way, the dialogue stays nicely aligned.

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
I'm considering a paradox MegaLP, but focused on Africa. Maybe Ethiopia?

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Fivemarks posted:

May God have mercy upon your soul

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?

Fivemarks posted:

Do you still need to mod out that "rains in Africa" event to make African nations playable at all or did they patch that? Or was the awfulness of it exaggerated?

Anyway I would absolutely love to see Paradox MegaLP set in Africa, it might unironically be super educational, I'd love to learn historical facts and tales about African nations. Personally the more southern the better, though, since it feels like I know Northern Africa better and would love to learn new things.

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015

PurpleXVI posted:

Do you still need to mod out that "rains in Africa" event to make African nations playable at all or did they patch that? Or was the awfulness of it exaggerated?

Anyway I would absolutely love to see Paradox MegaLP set in Africa, it might unironically be super educational, I'd love to learn historical facts and tales about African nations. Personally the more southern the better, though, since it feels like I know Northern Africa better and would love to learn new things.

You do for CK2, but not for Ck3.

The problem with going south is that the further south you go, the more Paradox's euro focus becomes "Africa is just savages" instead of "We chose not to do the research on an obscure area"

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Ethiopia's a fun time in Eu4, at least.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
Would there be appetite for a OOTP/baseball goon draft LP?

I did one a few years ago that I thought was fun and turned out well. Take a peek, as the OP sums it up and has links to the various updates:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3754182

In it I had goons pick a name/number/position/whatever and let OOTP create a player, then simmed a bunch of seasons to see who did well, their genesis, and commented a bit on the league as a whole. It was also fun to take the retired players and make them managers and see how they did in management positions.

OOTP has come a long way and has more fun and interesting personality options now too, which would make for some wild customization!

One reason I ask is to see if this would be appropriate as an LP, or if it might be better suited for the sports subforum. I don't really post in either one anymore, and it might be fun to introduce OOTP to a less familiar audience!

For reference, here was the first batch of goons:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

It could be interesting, but I feel like it would require a lot of writing outside of what the game generates to really create arcs, storylines, personalities, etc.