Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I don't need to imagine doing all that stuff by myself because I used to do it all the time. Many times I've jumped on solo when there was little going on, and trucked my rear end up into the forests to spend a while grabbing copper. My first 10 hours with the game were solo before I could convince anyone to play with me lol. I disagree with the idea that building infrastructure as a solo doesn't make sense, in fact I'd argue making sure you've got somewhere to sleep to skip night/resupply on good travel food/hide from wolves and mosquitos is more important since you don't have someone to come back you up if poo poo gets real. It can absolutely scale too, if you're taking the time to mark a bunch of stuff like nodes, spawners, resources, etc. on the map. Plan a route, flatten some roads, make a little shack with some storage chests, toss some of that inventory-clogging deer and pig meat in there for later, and you're done. The headaches I'd saved by making hills easier to climb with a wagon, or rivers even possible to cross at all with a dinky little bridge, were well worth the time and resources.

Like I said though it's only really lifting the travel restrictions that I'm opposed to, the actual material gather rate or deadliness of any given mob is whatever. It's always confused me why they don't have sliders for that sort of thing, as every other game in the genre does, for a good reason. I get wanting to have players experience your curated vision, and power to them, but this seems like a case where sacrificing a just a little bit of your artistic integrity to head off all the people complaining at you on the steam forums and reddit about drop rates or whatever

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Dec 28, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

More options are never bad. Let us tweak anything and everything.

I actually like the portal restrictions, but as I said it would take about half the time I have any given night to play to just make the trip and head back to base with my goods. So we’ve opted for a more streamlined experience. Though I admit I’ve never had the patience to make long roads, if there’s one thing that really annoys me it’s how quickly the hoe breaks.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

we never did the whole roads further out than like the nearby forests, to be fair. When the terrain was easier to navigate, simple markers like torches or trophy stands or the tiny survival shacks were enough. Eventually as you come back and forth to your base over and over you start to pick up on natural landmarks like the remnants of ore holes or that place where three trolls went apeshit and broke all the trees and you can orient yourself well enough. The hoe is annoyingly fragile though.

I like the trip though, I don't see it as a hurdle or an obstacle to the gameplay, it's part of gameplay itself, to be optimized and enjoyed. I really liked walking around and delivering stuff in Death Stranding too lol.

I also don't mind refilling torches and campfires, though it's way more of a multiplayer thing since you can arbitrarily assign that duty to someone else and then act all annoyed and indignant when they aren't doing their job

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
Level 4 padded vs level 2 carapace is 6 armor different. Doesn't seem like much of a difference considering how much grinding it takes to get carapaces, eitr, etc.

I was in fenris armor the whole time and seeker/seeker soldiers were Scary.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.
nm, days late

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Dec 28, 2022

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Babe Magnet posted:

I like the trip though, I don't see it as a hurdle or an obstacle to the gameplay, it's part of gameplay itself, to be optimized and enjoyed. I really liked walking around and delivering stuff in Death Stranding too lol.

What I’m hearing is that Valheim needs a bola gun, and I agree.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

do mistlands only generate as island chains? right now we are trying to progress through one and its irritating as poo poo trying to navigate tons of tiny islands. do they generate as large areas on land?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

WoodrowSkillson posted:

do mistlands only generate as island chains? right now we are trying to progress through one and its irritating as poo poo trying to navigate tons of tiny islands. do they generate as large areas on land?
I've found some larger masses, but they do have significant elevation changes.

Transmuting high tier metals to lower tier would be nice. Whoops I want to make a brazier for my plains base, guess I need to book it to a black forest and haul it back.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Ravenfood posted:

I've found some larger masses, but they do have significant elevation changes.

Transmuting high tier metals to lower tier would be nice. Whoops I want to make a brazier for my plains base, guess I need to book it to a black forest and haul it back.

elevation is fine, its the constant having to build bridges and use boats that is grating

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
i can tell you from experience that there are definitely mistlands that are not strings of islands, sounds like you guys should probably just find a different continent

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
My wishlist for this game is actually incredibly small:

Some way to treat wood so it doesn't automatically get gross if it doesn't have a roof. I don't care if it costs like 5 resin a pop I want my pier to look nice.

While we're at it, some way to spend a certain number of cores to make a fire permanent would be nice as well. I've got more of the drat things that I know what to do with anyways.

The ability to toggle items you do or don't pick up automatically. They could find 15 new uses for mosquito needles and I would never spend all the ones I have.

I wouldn't mind a really fancy boat with a built-in portal and maybe a couple of ballista if we're really really feeling fancy

A larger freestanding storage container that adds to comfort and looks fancy. I'm thinking something that has multiple doors on it like a dresser and each door works like its own black metal chest.

Recipes for the new fish. Maybe make something expensive where the fish you use confers an immunity to frost or poison or being slowed by tar monsters or reduces knock back etc etc based on which fish you use.

Ooh, Make cooking a skill and if you cook a puffer fish below a certain skill threshold it ends up just being a bukberry style item or whatever they're called.

Eifert Posting fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Dec 29, 2022

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

Eifert Posting posted:

My wishlist for this game is actually incredibly small:

Some way to treat wood so it doesn't automatically get gross if it doesn't have a roof. I don't care if it costs like 5 resin a pop I want my pier to look nice.

While we're at it, some way to spend a certain number of cores to make a fire permanent would be nice as well. I've got more of the drat things that I know what to do with anyways.

The ability to toggle items you do or don't pick up automatically. They could find 15 new uses for mosquito needles and I would never spend all the ones I have.

I wouldn't mind a really fancy boat with a built-in portal and maybe a couple of ballista if we're really really feeling fancy

A larger freestanding storage container that adds to comfort and looks fancy. I'm thinking something that has multiple doors on it like a dresser and each door works like its own black metal chest.

Recipes for the new fish. Maybe make something expensive where the fish you use confers an immunity to frost or poison or being slowed by tar monsters or reduces knock back etc etc based on which fish you use.

Ooh, Make cooking a skill and if you cook a puffer fish below a certain skill threshold it ends up just being a bukberry style item or whatever they're called.

If youre interested in modding at all theres mods that would fulfill some of these requests.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Also the tarred wood doesn't degrade, nor will any piece that overlaps an x or slant beam I don't think.

But ya the mods will do it

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

some way to use surtur cores and/or resin to make the base wood "sealed" or thermal treated like the norse of yore did would be tight, I like the way it looks

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Not gonna lie, not really liking mistlands so far. It's like the devs designed it for maximum pain and annoyance. Low visibility, difficult navigation and mobs that jump out of the mist to ambush you make it outright stressful, and not in a fun way.

I wanted to grow some blue mushrooms and jotun puffs, so I took over a tower I found and barricaded a courtyard in front of it after fighting several small battles to clear out seekers and ticks nearby. Except when I tried to cultivate the soil, it said it cannot be cultivated. I then discovered that you need to find patches of grass, and even then there's a 50% chance that you can cultivate them, I guess depending on whether they have rock underneath. It's just the most harebrained design decision.

Anyway, once I cultivated a small patch of actual soil, I finally planted my small batch of jotun puffs on it. Then they shriveled saying "needs an open sky". I looked up and lo-and-behold, the huge rock I was standing next to apparently arches over and blocks the sky. And there's no way to get my planted jotun puffs back - I need to go find new ones.

I think I'm done with this game.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

Not gonna lie, not really liking mistlands so far. It's like the devs designed it for maximum pain and annoyance. Low visibility, difficult navigation and mobs that jump out of the mist to ambush you make it outright stressful, and not in a fun way.

I wanted to grow some blue mushrooms and jotun puffs, so I took over a tower I found and barricaded a courtyard in front of it after fighting several small battles to clear out seekers and ticks nearby. Except when I tried to cultivate the soil, it said it cannot be cultivated. I then discovered that you need to find patches of grass, and even then there's a 50% chance that you can cultivate them, I guess depending on whether they have rock underneath. It's just the most harebrained design decision.

Anyway, once I cultivated a small patch of actual soil, I finally planted my small batch of jotun puffs on it. Then they shriveled saying "needs an open sky". I looked up and lo-and-behold, the huge rock I was standing next to apparently arches over and blocks the sky. And there's no way to get my planted jotun puffs back - I need to go find new ones.

I think I'm done with this game.

Mod suggestion again, it will totally solve this issue if youre willing.

Plant Everything + Plant Anywhere mods allow you to exactly that, plant anything anywhere. I have a full fledged farm with Jotun Puffs growing in the Black Forest territory my base is at.

If players here are interested, I put together mod packs for my group to make it easy for everyone to have the same modded game, they just unzip and drag into the valheim folder so I dont have to make them dl everything individually. Id be happy to link my modpack here with the list of whats in it.

They are almost entirely QoL mods and a few mods that add some assets/new building options(draw bridges, more windows, gates and doors)

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

It's pretty easy to distribute a simple pack with r2modman (modding client for lots of games including valheim) as well, probably more reliable than sharing a zip. You're limited to thunderstore mods (so things that are only on nexus won't work) but nearly everything is on there so it's not a big deal. And you can distribute updates and changes easily.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Most of the Mistlands I've found on our seed while sailing are big blocks of land with cliffs. As far as inland generation goes, one of the larger land masses has a strip of it cutting between a Mountain and Black Forest biome, so I thought it was just a weird new weather effect because I hadn't played in over a year. The little strips of it I've run though between biomes so far haven't had anything attack me. I dunno if that's a biome scale issue or dumb luck, but I'm not eager to find out yet.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
I made a small mushroom farm on the border between mistlands and black forest biome. It seems these border regions are more flat and less rocky than the interior of mistlands biome. More easily defensible too.

I just avoid 'submerged' mistlands, those small rocky islands. One of (before the last patch) them randomly spawned gjall while we were in the boat nearby. It wasn't pleasant.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Dwesa posted:

I made a small mushroom farm on the border between mistlands and black forest biome. It seems these border regions are more flat and less rocky than the interior of mistlands biome. More easily defensible too.

I just avoid 'submerged' mistlands, those small rocky islands. One of (before the last patch) them randomly spawned gjall while we were in the boat nearby. It wasn't pleasant.

In my first foray into the mistlands we aggro'd a seeker immediately, freaked out, and ran for the boat. That's when I learned seekers can both swim fast and can attack while swimming. Luckily with two of us we could sail carefully and arrow it down slowly.

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

That was a helluva moment. And a pretty apt introduction to Mistland hospitality.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I've gotten wrecked a few times by seekers coming out of the mist and nailing me with their drop attack before I can even stand up in the boat. I probably shouldn't sail in mage gear near mistlands

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Not a single infested mine in the entire ML continent. The terrain generation algo is either buggy, or the spawn rate for the dungeons suck.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Yeah, mistlands is the first real big miss for me. Corpse running when you can't see anything because you lost your whisp is the opposite of fun. Whoops, this giant floating bug came out of nowhere and destroyed your boat and now you gotta go make another boat, another whisp, another everything...

Plains were painful, but at least it was gorgeous scenery and you had the possibility of sneaking around.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

joepinetree posted:

Corpse running when you can't see anything because you lost your whisp is the opposite of fun.

Just make another?

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Since visibility is so poor in Mistlands, I find myself relying on sound way more to stay safe. Seekers are fairly easy to detect from a distance if you stop at regular intervals and listen to your surroundings, especially once you get used to the footsteps of hares walking around.

That said, they really need to make wisplight upgradeable, with higher levels giving a better visibility radius.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

rydiafan posted:

Just make another?

Yeah I don’t know why you wouldn’t have back up Wisplight. They’re basically free.

In my current world gen our base is on a chunk of plains set on an inland sea. We dug a canal out to the west to enable sailing out into the ocean proper. Mistlands on the other side of our inland sea in spades, and a thin stripe of Mistlands winding through a bunch of biomes to the south. The thin Mistlands stripe proved pretty perfect for mushroom farming. I’ve literally never seen a single Seeker in it and there’s 8 Yggdrasil roots in there relatively close by for easy tapping.

Fairly luxurious all told.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

rydiafan posted:

Just make another?

Corpse runs are rarely a 1 time thing, and there is only so much silver around.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

I do wish they would make the land more continental towards the edge of the map. Like the water dominated middle is great for getting you in a boat early, but I'd like it if the plains areas were more Great Plains and Pontic Steppe in scale. Same with mistlands.

Uranium Phoenix
Jun 20, 2007

Boom.

joepinetree posted:

Corpse runs are rarely a 1 time thing, and there is only so much silver around.

Buddy, they take one (1) single silver ingot. You can also replace the backup wisplight in a chest with a coal sign over it that simply says "sad box" when you return from your body retrieval.

Koobze
Nov 4, 2000

AccountSupervisor posted:

Mod suggestion again, it will totally solve this issue if youre willing.

Plant Everything + Plant Anywhere mods allow you to exactly that, plant anything anywhere. I have a full fledged farm with Jotun Puffs growing in the Black Forest territory my base is at.

If players here are interested, I put together mod packs for my group to make it easy for everyone to have the same modded game, they just unzip and drag into the valheim folder so I dont have to make them dl everything individually. Id be happy to link my modpack here with the list of whats in it.

They are almost entirely QoL mods and a few mods that add some assets/new building options(draw bridges, more windows, gates and doors)

I would like to hear what list of QoL mods you chose even if you don't share the zip (I will probably go the r2modman route as mentioned later in posts). I haven't played in over a year now and my wife and I had a great time with the game before, without mods, and we've just finished our other go-to multiplayer chill game, so maybe it's time to get back to Valheim. I was thinking of just Valheim+ but figure if I'm gonna install mods I might as well look for a few more, and draw bridges sound great. For sure I'll install something to increase the amount of wood/stone/ore you get from things since spending days chipping at copper was a bit too much for me, we both mined for days and basically burned out just as I finished actually building a base, and maybe Epic Loot and anything that simplifies inventory management/crafting. I don't mind building a billion chests but gently caress me if I'm gonna go looking for the right one each time.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Does anybody else have horrible server performance thanks to Mistlands? I *just* had a dedicated server (my old gaming PC) running pre-Mistlands Vaheim in November with 6-7 people and it was fine the entire time. Fire it back up after a completely clean reinstall for Mistlands and people have desyncs and stuttering even at 3-5 clients. Running a decently light collection of mods (Death Tweaks / Epic Loot / V+ / Creature and Loot Control) and there's minimal terrain manipulation. Today I went in and did the rate limit hack and performance got a little better, but still worse compared to last month. We aren't even in Mistlands yet.

It's absolutely not a hardware or network issue either. I've got a decently beastly gaming PC (for last gen) running it with zero other things in the background and a gigabit fiber line.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

^^^ Not really helpful, but I had no problems with mine. Are you using linux? I set up a linux server with LGSM and it was really painless, no performance problems. If you're running it on the same PC you're playing on it could be trying to share the same cores maybe.

Koobze posted:

I would like to hear what list of QoL mods you chose even if you don't share the zip (I will probably go the r2modman route as mentioned later in posts). I haven't played in over a year now and my wife and I had a great time with the game before, without mods, and we've just finished our other go-to multiplayer chill game, so maybe it's time to get back to Valheim. I was thinking of just Valheim+ but figure if I'm gonna install mods I might as well look for a few more, and draw bridges sound great. For sure I'll install something to increase the amount of wood/stone/ore you get from things since spending days chipping at copper was a bit too much for me, we both mined for days and basically burned out just as I finished actually building a base, and maybe Epic Loot and anything that simplifies inventory management/crafting. I don't mind building a billion chests but gently caress me if I'm gonna go looking for the right one each time.

You can do pretty much everything you described with just V+. You can increase inventory size, change carry capacity, change stamina usage (for any action granularly), change drop rates for stuff, and lots lots more. It also introduces a few "automation" tools, like making smelters etc pull from and deposit to nearby chests without you babysitting them, and pulling from nearby chests while you're crafting so you don't have to dig through 20 chests to find the skins or nails you need for some random poo poo, which is a lifesaver. There's a bunch of other miscellaneous stuff it can do too, and its all disabled by default so its a very "choose your own convenience" type of mod, which I like a lot.

I increased drop rate for copper and wood, turned on auto-depositing for the various machines, and slightly increased carry capacity. Not enough to massively change the "balance", but enough to make it a little less annoying. Also made chests very slightly larger, and boat inventories like 2x as big.

The only other mods I'd consider essential are equipment slots, and auto-deposit, i.e. press a button and all the random poo poo in your inventory will go into nearby chests that have those items in them already, again to skip the absolutely tedious drop-off process you have to do every time you go back to base. And most importantly: Slope combat assistance so that you can aim up and down while swinging weapons, so that an enemy 2 feet above you isn't loving unhittable. That is definitely the worst mechanic in the base game.

Here's the modpack I made if you want a reference point - nothing in here significantly changes gameplay, just lots of small qol things that made it less tedious for me. https://valheim.thunderstore.io/package/Progress/ProgressPack/

Taffer fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Dec 30, 2022

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Uranium Phoenix posted:

Buddy, they take one (1) single silver ingot. You can also replace the backup wisplight in a chest with a coal sign over it that simply says "sad box" when you return from your body retrieval.

A metal from 2 biomes ago, not used much anymore, so we don't have a lot laying around. And if the seeker is camping your body it will certainly take more than a couple corpse runs. Like, buddy, its ok, we have different opinions on the mistlands.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Still seems better than mountain corpse runs, where your enemies are noticeably faster or ranged and not having an item from the current biome or using a consumable means you're taking constant damage over time and have slowed stamina regen.

(Also its probably just my seed but all my mistlands are near mountains. It was actually a problem because I had to cross the Mistlands to get to Moder)

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Mountain at least had beautiful views, the flying enemies were easy to dodge, with good food you could survive freezing for a long time, and while wolves are fast they'd chase you and go back to their original spot rather than just corpse camp you. Mists also has the added problem of you likely needing a boat even as it's full of enemies that can destroy the boat in a few attacks. And honestly, i would probably not have minded all of this if it was at least pretty to look at.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Yeah, I think I'm done too. Even with a spare wisplight, the lack of visibility and terrible terrain make it extremely tedious and difficult to recover your corpse, because unless you get super lucky you're very likely to aggro something that will easily chase you down (or up, if it's a seeker!) and kill you. I managed to get to my corpose once, then before I could put on my gear a gjall that was flying nearby aggroed me and I died again while trying to run away.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
The other thing is that the mountain or the plains were really only endless corpse runs when you have prior biome gear on. If you are on the mountains with full wolf armor, or in the plains with full padded armor, you have a pretty decent fighting chance against whatever is there.

If you have full mage armor, you will get one shot by seeker soldiers. If you have full carapace armor you will get 2 shot. With the added penalty that seeker soldiers will knock you back constantly, so that if you are fighting them on one of the endless little islands, they will keep knocking you into the water and you will drown or not regen stamina. Or, worse yet, you'll get destroyed on your boat between the billion little islands (if you are sailing and ticks aggro on you but can't get to you, they will attack your boat from under the water so you can't attack them from inside the boat).

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

The knockback is pretty drat obnoxious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

I think Meadows and Black Forest are the Valheim peak. Those zones are where Valheim is really something special and the further you get from them you lose a lot of the magic that draws everybody into the game in the first place.